Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-10-2013, 2:35 PM

Exclamation $21,000 Rifle & Scope

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ga...oter-1B7916613
Old 01-10-2013, 2:47 PM

Old 01-10-2013, 2:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OK, so how does it compensate for different ammo? What size was the target? Etc?

I once took a 14 year old to a 1000 yard match. He had never seen a 1000 yard range before and did not know how to zero optics. I started him with an un zeroed scope. His second shot was 2" below the clay pigeon he was aiming at on the 1000 yard berm. He hit it with his 3rd shot! Remember, he started with an unzeroed scope that was about 10 feet off in windage and 4 feet low. So, a little coaching and a little talent is all you need once you have consistant ammo, a decent rifle and a decent sighting system.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 01-10-2013, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Pfft! For $21K it better read mirage and make me a sandwich when I want it to. Oh wait... it doesn't.

Last edited by Black Majik; 01-10-2013 at 3:20 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I find it fascinating from the innovation and technology side…

But its taking the sport and skill out of long range shooting…
Old 01-10-2013, 4:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I find it fascinating from the innovation and technology side…

But its taking the sport and skill out of long range shooting…
Agreed.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 01-10-2013, 5:58 PM

Not all that new, either. And must be weighty. The military already has developed a sniper system that utilise a small computer. With this you input the cartridge used, latitude, longitude, temp, etc and it tells you what windage and elevation adjustments to make.

To have that automated in the gun, and have it fire only when on target, besides being unsporting, would be weighty and too many things to malfunction. At least with the tiny, light handheld computer the military has if it dies, the rifleman can still use his natural wits and skill
Old 01-10-2013, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Not all that new, either. And must be weighty. The military already has developed a sniper system that utilise a small computer. With this you input the cartridge used, latitude, longitude, temp, etc and it tells you what windage and elevation adjustments to make.

To have that automated in the gun, and have it fire only when on target, besides being unsporting, would be weighty and too many things to malfunction. At least with the tiny, light handheld computer the military has if it dies, the rifleman can still use his natural wits and skill
What you have described it a ballistic computer, which is nothing new, it’s even affordable and available to the general public now via things like an iPhone app, but is still vastly different from the technology shown here. The ballistic computer only helps you generate a firing solution and is not integrated into the rifle in any way.

While I think it’s pretty cool, as a hobbyist I prefer not to have my rifle on auto-pilot. Something like this would serve as a pure novelty to me, but I can see some applications where this would be pretty useful.

With that said, there is no replacement for the skills and knowledge a rifleman can bring to the table.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 AM

With that kind of money I will just hire someone to shoot for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:50 PM
Banned

IF SHTF this could be the ultimate one man army weapon. Even the most unskilled shooter could and would be able to put food on the table and dispatch enemies, at ranges that most shooters find themselves inconsistent.

For 21k, you would need to be funded like a one man army but I can say that it would be fun to try out.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM

When they make a $200 version that allows me to whack prairie dogs on auto pilot, I'll buy one and go back to New Mexico... LOL shoot prairie dogs without having to think.

Then again, I enjoy having the ability to figure out & DOPE shots.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 AM

unsporting/unskilled or no, there is no reason technology cannot be applied to solve problems. i hope they continue to develop this and make it better and cheaper.

i hate saying this, but we do all realize that as much as we all like our guns and appreciate the art/skill of making such shots, making a little object fly fast and hit something with basic iron or optics is still at its heart an 18th century solution?? one that isn't exactly ideal. why not use 21st century technology to make it a little bit easier instead of doing something as impractical (albeit extremely enjoyable) as match style shooting?

with all of that being said, i probably wouldn't buy one myself right now even if $20k appeared beside of me right now.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinofsleep View Post
unsporting/unskilled or no, there is no reason technology cannot be applied to solve problems. i hope they continue to develop this and make it better and cheaper.

i hate saying this, but we do all realize that as much as we all like our guns and appreciate the art/skill of making such shots, making a little object fly fast and hit something with basic iron or optics is still at its heart an 18th century solution?? one that isn't exactly ideal. why not use 21st century technology to make it a little bit easier instead of doing something as impractical (albeit extremely enjoyable) as match style shooting?

with all of that being said, i probably wouldn't buy one myself right now even if $20k appeared beside of me right now.
You make good points but there's still one major downside. How long will it take before this type of technology reaches people on the other side of the coin? It's all useful and great until your enemies too have that kind of power. Just because something can be invented doesn't always mean it should be. Could you imagine an unskilled terrorist with one of these things in his possession? Nuclear weapons, stealth aircraft, spy drones, auto-snipers, it's all just escalation.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Mine's on backorder.... LOL
Old 02-10-2013, 4:19 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

It has a trigger activator, that is not kosher in the PRK.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

I've had some experience with the Elcan Digital Hunter, which was the first digital scope. It had some amazing features like integrated nightvision and a customization reticle. Yes, that's a reticle you can make up yourself and just put it, it was awesome. It also allowed you to record onto an SD card.

Drawbacks where it was heavy as a lead anchor and used gazillion AA batteries that seemed to last one session at the range at best. It's biggest single drawback was the optical quality. You are looking at a tiny LCD screen, not through the actual optics. This gives you a grainy, low res look as if you where staring at your computer screen from 2 inches away. You could see the pixels. It gave me a headache frankly.

Looks like this Tracking Point stuff is similar, your looking at a screen, not through the optics. The optics are obviously there, but they focus light on a CCD and then into a microprocessor / CPU. It looks grainy to me on the video.

The cool thing about the TP is the trigger that only releases when everything is lined up. You have to shoot their ammo, no deviation.

Take a look at this promo vid, there is a tell tale graph in the middle where you can see conventional rifle accuracy at different ranges vs their system. Seems like up to 350 yards is 100% and then it falls off a cliff. Their system moves that cliff up to 700 yards. Look at the dropoff to 900 though!

http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms

Future will be digital optics once the LCD screens produce resolution that match naked eye optics. When will that happen? Eventually. It's just a matter of time until "smart" scopes and "smart" firearms are the norm.

Gun ppl tend to be pretty conservative and resistant to change. Well, at least we don't have dudes running around with flint locks anymore........oh, wait..........
Old 02-16-2013, 9:57 PM
Banned

Works on drop but not wind. FAIL
Old 02-20-2013, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Very cool! I still prefer my Nightforce though
If Hell ever needed a operations manual all it would need is a copy of California's laws