Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 PM

Default Ranges and such?

Hey there OC!

I am really new to Calguns and just bought my first AR (delivers next week), anyway I am curious about where there is to go and shoot the thing?

I am new to the Irvine area and frequently am in Long Beach as well (yeah I know that's not your territory ). So anyway, I didn't see this info in here yet and appreciate the help!

I used to live in northern AZ and shooting out there was always a non-event. I am originally from Cali though and moving back has made me see just how over the top our state is as far as gun laws go....glad to be getting in touch with other locals! I'm sure this won't be the last time I ask for advice!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 AM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveRate View Post
Hey there OC!

I am really new to Calguns and just bought my first AR (delivers next week), anyway I am curious about where there is to go and shoot the thing?

I am new to the Irvine area and frequently am in Long Beach as well (yeah I know that's not your territory ). So anyway, I didn't see this info in here yet and appreciate the help!

I used to live in northern AZ and shooting out there was always a non-event. I am originally from Cali though and moving back has made me see just how over the top our state is as far as gun laws go....glad to be getting in touch with other locals! I'm sure this won't be the last time I ask for advice!
Welcome!

There are a couple of options in the area. We have our monthly shoots at OnTarget Indoor Shooting Range in Laguna Niguel (you will need a "rifle card" to satisfy their insurance requirements), and we occasionally head out to Burro Canyon for outdoor events.

For the AR, your options will be limited to those two. For pistols, you can also look at Insight in Artesia, Evan's in Orange, or Field Time in Westminster.
Old 12-09-2012, 6:19 PM

Field Time Target is technically in Stanton (adjacent to Westminster), and you can shoot your long gun there, no card or class required. It's a pretty good range. I like the digital target runner. They allow anything below .338 Lapua. They also sell .223 ammo and it's okay for 25 yard plinking and rough sight-in work.

They also allow you to shoot shotguns (slugs only), but it must have a buttstock. No pistol-grip only shotguns are allowed.

Bring your own slugs; my buddy shot the Field Time slugs in his gun today and had some FTEs in his Mossberg 930. Tried the Federal slugs I brought, no issues.

Last edited by Case; 12-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: identify Field Time Target in Stanton
Old 12-09-2012, 9:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats on your first AR, and Welcome!

I would recommend making it to one of the OC monthly shoots. The slots fill up fast. I have been dying to make it to one of these.

You can also join the super secret contributors lounge.

We try to organize a shoot in so-cal once a month. We have members at ASR almost every weekend. Burro Canyon is an option, as well as some BLM land spots.

Everyone is for the most part really friendly on this site, and I'm sure you'll meet and get together some shooting buddies soon!
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!

Last edited by Bumslie; 12-09-2012 at 9:23 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 9:49 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case View Post
They also allow you to shoot shotguns (slugs only), but it must have a buttstock. No pistol-grip only shotguns are allowed.
OnTarget allows shotguns now as well, but you must buy their slug ammo.
Old 12-12-2012, 6:14 PM

There is 2 field times; Field times the gun store is in Westminster, Field Time the gun range is in Stanton.

I shoot at Field Time in Stanton during my lunch hours; good group of people there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case View Post
Field Time is technically in Stanton (adjacent to Westminster), and you can shoot your long gun there, no card or class required. It's a pretty good range. I like the digital target runner. They allow anything below .338 Lapua. They also sell .223 ammo and it's okay for 25 yard plinking and rough sight-in work.

Bring your own slugs; my buddy shot the Field Time slugs in his gun today and had some FTEs in his Mossberg 930. Tried the Federal slugs I brought, no issues.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM

Wow sorry for taking so long to post again. I work a very strange international job...been stuck in Kuwait. I'm out of the country a lot so making meet ups is a tough one, but I'd love to participate sometime.

Anyway, this is great information, exactly what I was looking for! Field Time Rnage sounds pretty spiffy, though OnTarget is only 10 minutes down the road (the gf lives in woodbridge).

What's the deal with Burro Canyon? Legit plinking area? I feel like during my years in AZ this was pretty much 5 minutes down any dirt road was "legit plinking" haha I imagine in Cali that sort of thing is tough to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
You can also join the super secret contributors lounge.
This sounds ominous and cool...and where/what is ASR?

Thanks again fellas.

Edit: I discovered your super secret, and have indoctrinated myself via paypal.

Last edited by PositiveRate; 12-15-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 PM

My brother is a member at field time range and loves it for his trips to range. He goes more often then I do so I simply tag along every now and then. Range is clean and super ventilated. Looks very new, which it pretty much is, and staff is nice. The digital target setting is really nice to have vs "eye-balling" it.

I also like insight in Artesia. But its a bit further for me personally.

Ricky
Old 12-25-2012, 9:17 PM

As mentioned, Field Time is excellent. Bought my Glock 17 from them too. Anyone interested in setting up a meet there in Jan?
Old 12-26-2012, 8:17 AM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveRate View Post
What's the deal with Burro Canyon? Legit plinking area? I feel like during my years in AZ this was pretty much 5 minutes down any dirt road was "legit plinking" haha I imagine in Cali that sort of thing is tough to find.
Burro is a privately owned and managed outdoor range on land leased from the National Forest Service.

It is about legit as it can be, and they have range rules similar to other outdoor ranges in the area. Private ranges can be had, but you will need to reserve months in advance due to their popularity.

We do hold official Calguns events there every so often, so keep your eyes open to see if any of them coincide when you happen to be in the country.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM

If you go to Burro on a weekday (they are closed on Tuesday to "citizens") you can often get a private range on the spot, I go just about every other Friday.
If you want to shoot longer range (500 yards) you'll need to check the schedule at the office since you are actually shooting across two ranges and a road.
How many know about the 650 yard range at Burro??? Shhhhh

And Burro does not allow steel targets, and only allows steel ammo (bullet sticks to a magnet) when it is raining.
Old 01-02-2013, 7:13 PM

If you don't mind a drive and like shooting outdoors there is Lytle Creek.
http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/