Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Default **** Update***** iPod Touch loses home wi-fi connection

Update 12-29-09
I went to the apple store in oakridge mall in san jose. They had told me to go back on monday to check if they had more ipods. I arrived talk to one of there reps and they told me that it had not arrived. I was kinda ticket off because it was new and would not work properly.

I then started to talk to another rep and i explain to him my problem and i asked him , how come there out of new ipods and he stated that they are not out of them but i was waiting for a refurbish one. That's when i completely and politely told him BS;we paid for a new one and i want a new one. He stated that the referbs are"like new". Then he called his manager and he gave me a new one. The manager was super helpful and professional. Im still kinda ticket off that people buy new apple products and if they don't work out of the box they send them a refurb plus the downtime. [/B]

Well, my Dad got an Itouch for x-mas and it loses wifi connection. It finds the router then it connects. After it connects the signal is intermittent . After safari is launched it drops connection and wont find the router again. Only after i reset the itouch.
I used my phone as a wifi router and it found the signal and stayed connected.

It might be my router? Linksys WRT54G2.

I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks

Last edited by Look Wat I kAn DO !; 12-29-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Old 12-25-2009, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Where is the router located? Make sure it is in a high spot, I'd put it near the middle of the house if possible. Also, 2.4 ghz phones can cause interference so make sure the base unit isn't too close to the router. If there's a cell tower close by it can cause problems too. You should also log into the router, go to wireless configuration and make sure the channel is set to auto. It'll change the channel when it detects interference or other nearby access points that are using overlapping channels.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-25-2009, 5:00 PM

We don't have any celly towers near by . I have the channels on auto. I even removed the wep and wap protection on it.
Old 12-25-2009, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Just got an iPod touch for x-mas. We have ATT broadband. Wifi works fine even when switching from work to home. iPod searches automatically. Don't know what else to tell you .
Old 12-25-2009, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

I was looking at my iPod settings. This may sound dumb, but do you have the Wi-Fi setting to "on" and the Ask to Join Networks to "on"? Does your router show up in the Choose a Network menu?

That's how I have my ipod set up and it seems to work OK.
Old 12-25-2009, 7:26 PM

Yea, it shows . It connects then it turns off and ipod wont find it. It will only find it after the ipod is reset. I have been reading online and people have problems with them also , i was advise to return it. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Is the transmit signal from the router turned to a higher setting than it's default? I had to increase the transmit on my router from 4 to 8 for a better transmittal..
Old 12-25-2009, 8:16 PM

call linksys tech support

i bet that router blows with ipods and iphones

i have a iphone and ive seen others routers do this often, dont know why cause its not my router but im willing to bet the routers just not setup correctly
Old 12-25-2009, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I am using a linksys router on this right now (not at home, no choice) and it seems to drop signal after a while. Without the router password I can't check the settings.. really kind of annoying.. it's giving our other laptop fits and the iphone 3gs drops signal too.
Old 12-26-2009, 8:03 AM

It's the linksys. Every linksys wireless router I have had has had se kind off connection problem. Switch to a netgear and your problems go away.
Old 12-26-2009, 9:15 PM

Well i manage to go to the apple store and the itouch would not work on there wifi signal. The tech lady said to come back on Monday and pick a new one up.
Old 12-26-2009, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
Is the transmit signal from the router turned to a higher setting than it's default? I had to increase the transmit on my router from 4 to 8 for a better transmittal..
how would i do this?
Old 12-26-2009, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxd9ar15xcrL View Post
It's the linksys. Every linksys wireless router I have had has had se kind off connection problem. Switch to a netgear and your problems go away.
I don't want to buy another one....lol.
I will if the problems persist
Old 12-27-2009, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxd9ar15xcrL View Post
My experience was exactly the opposite: I had an older Netgear router and had connection problem matching OP's description. Replacing the router for a Linksys model fixed it.

I guess the moral is that the router is causing your problem, no matter the brand. Take your Touch to a couple of other free Wifi places to see if it would stay connected there. If it does, replace your router.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM

I thought he was also having problems with other wireless devices.

It is odd how people have different experiences with diff routers. Myself, my neighbors, my parents, my inlaws, my office ALLLLL had issues with the linksys. i and others went round and round with them, but they kept dropping the signal, forgetting the WEP and other security settigns, etc, etc, etc. In everyone of those i have switched to a Netgear, and Bam, no problems EVER.

But that is just me, someone out ther had teh exact opposite experience.
Old 04-20-2010, 4:25 PM
Banned

I have a Linksys WRT54GL (the open source one, with DD-WRT replacing the Linksys firmware). Just got my iPod Touch 32gb 3rdGen yesterday, and it took a lot of work, but I have both WiFi and VPN connectivity.

One thing it doesn't seem to like is clothes pockets. I take it out, and I see it reestablishing WiFI. VPN switches off at random, seemingly not related to pockets. This is weird since I run my own VPN server with DD-WRT and am not dependent on some paid service.
Old 04-21-2010, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem with my AirPort Express. The unit would connect, stay on for 5 mins, disconnect, then reconnect again.

I originally had my router set to WPA (security mode). I then changed it to WPA2 and everything worked fine after that.

-edit- WTF, this thread is 4 months old.

Last edited by bender152; 04-21-2010 at 8:48 PM..