Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > On Target Range
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

On Target Range Hosted by http://www.ontargetrange.com/

Old 08-25-2009, 9:25 PM

Question question on centerfire certification

Hey ontarget im new to southern california and wanted to check out your range but then someone told me I might not be able to shoot my centerfire rifles because you need to be certified. What involves getting the certification? How long should it take? If I can't make it on a sunday, if its generally not busy could I possibly show up the day I wish to shoot and cert right before shooting?

thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 5:04 AM

I have yet to go through certification but my understanding is that in order to shoot centerfire rifle you will need to be pre-certified and Sunday's at 10am is only time they offer certification. For certification, they require that you demonstrate competency in safe handling and targeting/shooting (3 rounds in 6" at 25 yards?). Plus $25 for the certificate. If I have time this Sunday I might head down there.
Old 08-27-2009, 1:18 AM

It's actually a range specific safety rule review and shooting qualification. We hold the qualification class every Sunday morning at 10:00AM. Course fee is $20 and will get you a 2 years permit to use centerfire rifle caliber rifle at our range. With the $20 you also get free range time. You can decide to stay and wait for a rifle lane to open up after your qualification class (We usually have quite a bit of rifle shooters on Sunday morning), or you can pick up a free range time card and come back later. Since range time is $16 so what you really paid for is $4 for the class. You will need to do 25yrds, slow fire, 3 rounds in 5" group to qualify, and you have 3 chance to make it. By the way, Lane #17-20 are our dedicated rifle lane. All other lanes are pistol only.
Old 08-28-2009, 1:35 AM
Veteran Member

what are the people suposed to do if they have never fired a rifle before, but want to learn and just got one? im not sure everyone can shoot a 4 inch group right off the bat......
Old 08-28-2009, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
what are the people suposed to do if they have never fired a rifle before, but want to learn and just got one? im not sure everyone can shoot a 4 inch group right off the bat......
Not at 100yrd for sure, but we are talking about 25yrds, which translate to 20" at 100yrds. Unless your rifle is very poorly made, you should be able to do this one easy.
Old 08-28-2009, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
Not at 100yrd for sure, but we are talking about 25yrds, which translate to 20" at 100yrds. Unless your rifle is very poorly made, you should be able to do this one easy.
roget that. I just have friends that were asking about it.
thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 6:46 PM

So in order to be certified do we need to shoot with the centerfire rifles or can we just bring & shoot rimfire?

I was thinking of bringing my daughter this weekend but she's needs more work on the centerfire guns but she's pretty handy with her .22lr.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Yes, you can shoot rimfire to qualify. Please note that if all you are going to shoot is pistol caliber carbine (.22LR, 9mm, .40, etc), you do not need the rifle permit and can shoot those on pistol lanes.
Old 08-29-2009, 9:25 AM

so do you unload a full magazine at the target, or just 3 rounds?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 PM

3 rounds first. Once you are qualified, feel free to unload the rest. Just remember, 1rd per sec maximum limit and don't hit the hanger/cable/wire/light...
Old 09-21-2009, 5:02 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Talking

You left out ceiling. Lotso holes there.