Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-13-2013, 8:55 AM

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss32 View Post
How is the us Palm level 4 stuff they have forsale now? It is about 499.99.
These are most likely based on the ESAPI plates. Same cautions regarding fragility as other ceramic plates. It is not a bad package price, if you require level IV protection.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r View Post
You might check out the plates by MAINGUN Surplus. They are Mil-Spec HHS (High Hardness Steel). At the given thickness, they should stop M193 at 3000+ fps. Plus, they are extremely affordable. After testing, I may be recommending these as the baseline steel plate.
Thanks, these "Patriot Plates" look promising. The weight is about the same as ar500.com plates, which is good. They're not curved, unfortunately.
So, is MIL-A-46100 significantly better than AR500? They also mention "the highest performing" MIL-DTL-46100E; do I understand it correctly that it's different from MIL-A?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidimus View Post
Thanks, these "Patriot Plates" look promising. The weight is about the same as ar500.com plates, which is good. They're not curved, unfortunately.
So, is MIL-A-46100 significantly better than AR500? They also mention "the highest performing" MIL-DTL-46100E; do I understand it correctly that it's different from MIL-A?
IMHO, the Patriot Plates are currently the best combination of performance and price point. The lack of curvature is a consideration, but minor when you compare the performance you are getting in return. The specs listed are similar for High Hardness Steel plate, with a nominal hardness between Brinell 477-534. The material is inherently superior to AR500.

Last edited by d-r; 11-23-2013 at 4:29 PM..
Old 11-23-2013, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone looked at the US palm SAP-C plate carrier. Says level IV. I watched a few videos doing testing and looks good.

Old 11-23-2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Anyone looked at the US palm SAP-C plate carrier. Says level IV. I watched a few videos doing testing and looks good.
See my response in post #162
Old 11-23-2013, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
See my response in post #162
Thanks, I am looking for something Level III that is slim line. I can still put a jacket over it when worn. Any ideas?

Old 11-23-2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I am looking for something Level III that is slim line. I can still put a jacket over it when worn. Any ideas?
With level III vs. level IV, the level III will nearly always be thinner. Nearly always. The cost for shaving millimeters of thickness off of a level IV plate gets exponentially higher vs. level III. Steel is still going to be the thinnest level III you can get, with the best at around 4.5mm + your chosen spall mitigation solution. I may have an ultra-low profile solution for you very soon.
Old 11-23-2013, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Please let me know.

Old 11-24-2013, 9:39 PM

D-R, have you done any research into Modumetal, or seen any companies incorporating the technology into their product lines?

My read on it is they've found a way to apply nano scale technology to traditional steel processes. They have a quick video that demonstrates what appears to be a nanolattice spall guard over a (I'm guessing here) energy absorption core.

http://www.modumetal.com/products/armor/

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Old 11-25-2013, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy View Post
D-R, have you done any research into Modumetal, or seen any companies incorporating the technology into their product lines?

My read on it is they've found a way to apply nano scale technology to traditional steel processes. They have a quick video that demonstrates what appears to be a nanolattice spall guard over a (I'm guessing here) energy absorption core.

http://www.modumetal.com/products/armor/
I have not seen any commercially available nano-laminates yet. There is a company utilizing carbon nanotubes as an additive, but they are using Spectra materials as the base, which renders the material not-suitable for soft armor.

The technology (Modumetal) sounds promising, when it can be scaled up to apply to large volumes of plates.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
"armor is one of those things that should be in everyone's kit bag."

I have mixed feelings about armor. If Im getting shot at and get hit in the hand and there is no medical attention available I'll probably die of infection or bleeding. If I get hit in the leg same thing as before. If I get hit in the arm also same thing.

My feeling is best to not get into a fight or avoid one at ALL costs. But if you are getting shot at and you are lucky enough to have soft vests and hard plates and the magic bullets hits that plate then its your lucky day. If the shooter has AP 308 then its game over probably.

So my question is do I spend $2,000 dollars on something that protects half my body?

Great write up and thanks for the info.

While it may not be the absolute best option, I have a Banshee armor carrier (which I love) and AR500 level 3 rifle plates. It is definitely a bit heavier but if you are in shape and train like everyone should than it's not a big deal. The vest and 2 plates will only cost around $320 and is a practical option for the average person that does not have a ton of money.
Old 12-11-2013, 9:20 PM

Any armor is better than none at all. Steel plates make more sense for someone on a budget, they can be upgraded as funds permit.

Also, if steel plates are too heavy, I am reminded of a quote from an excellent movie: "Grow stronger!"

Old 12-13-2013, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

I was reading that soft body armor has issues when exposed to heat over long periods. Is there a soft body armor that could take sitting in the back of a car trunk over long periods of time and still retain its effectiveness?
Old 12-13-2013, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post
I was reading that soft body armor has issues when exposed to heat over long periods. Is there a soft body armor that could take sitting in the back of a car trunk over long periods of time and still retain its effectiveness?
You are correct, but only regarding soft armor containing UHMWPE (SPECTRA/DYNEEMA) or laminates (Goldflex, Goldshield). These materials will denature above 169 F for the UHMWPE and 200 for the laminates.

Armor made from 100% WOVEN ARAMID will be fine up to 650-700 F with no loss of ballistic effectiveness. UV light and mold/mildew/bacteria are the only things that will cause degradation of this material, so keeping it out of DIRECT sunlight and cleaning occasionally with baking soda and warm distilled water are good preventative maintenance routines.

You need to be dilligent when selecting armor, as many, if not most, contain either laminates or UHMWPE these days. US Armor's Enforcer Classic is 100% woven Aramid (Kevlar and/or Twaron).
Old 01-13-2014, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

I was able to pick up a set of Velocity System triple curve III/IV plates (VS-P34-1012) for a great price to go with the backers that I've had for the last year or so. Everything I've looked at says that they are heavier than the ESAPIs I wore in the 'Stan (I wore smalls) but my PC feels lighter, maybe its the lack of radio, antennae or giant god awful Condor IFAK they insisted we wear on our left side. Same number and type of mags and all that though.
Old 01-13-2014, 7:14 PM

Location: I did notice how far over I've moved this part of my info. I tried it, and it was fun.

I picked up some ar500 plates with liner (might be linex). Seems like I could have made a better choice. Can I put any kind of plates or soft armor in front of the plates to increase the threat level? The guardian IV seem to be pretty good plates also, any opinions on theses?
Old 01-13-2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfornoone View Post
I picked up some ar500 plates with liner (might be linex). Seems like I could have made a better choice. Can I put any kind of plates or soft armor in front of the plates to increase the threat level? The guardian IV seem to be pretty good plates also, any opinions on theses?
In a word, no. Putting soft armor on the strike face of rifle plates will not increase the threat level one bit, since rifle rounds do not "see" soft armor. As backers, they work well to catch rear face spall or rounds that *just* penetrate the plates. For front face spall, special types of material can act as a guard to prevent the impacting bullet fragments from exiting at high velocity and possibly causing injury.

The Guardian 4 plates are a decent option if you need to be certain of stopping M2AP. The fragility issues are present, but the price point is good.

Last edited by d-r; 01-13-2014 at 9:24 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 9:03 AM

Location: I did notice how far over I've moved this part of my info. I tried it, and it was fun.

Quote:
In a word, no. Putting soft armor on the strike face of rifle plates will not increase the threat level one bit, since rifle rounds do not "see" soft armor. As backers, they work well to catch rear face spall or rounds that *just* penetrate the plates. For front face spall, special types of material can act as a guard to prevent the impacting bullet fragments from exiting at high velocity and possibly causing injury.

The Guardian 4 plates are a decent option if you need to be certain of stopping M2AP. The fragility issues are present, but the price point is good.
would you reccomend adding backers and some additional spall guard (in addition to the linex plate) to increase protection or just getting new level IV plates?

Ive used my carrier at a front sight course and it worked out pretty good. My goal would be to have level IV protection and plates that can stop xm193, that seems to be something few can do and those rounds are very popular. Besides using the carrier at front sight and rifle classes my intention was to have this for emergency/shft/bug out gear. Steel is nice because you can be rough with it but you are missing protection.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM

If you are sticking with the steel, then yes, guards and backers are definitely recommended. Again, they will not bring a level III plate up to level IV standards. They make the plates safer by reducing the chance of injury due to spall, and adding blunt force padding and rear face overmatch protection.

If you need M193 protection, get a set of TAP GAMMA III plates. If you need to have protection against a single round (up to and including M2AP), then get a set of level IV plates. Just remember, it is probably better to have multi-hit protection against more common rounds rather than have one-shot and then junk 'em level IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfornoone View Post
would you reccomend adding backers and some additional spall guard (in addition to the linex plate) to increase protection or just getting new level IV plates?

Ive used my carrier at a front sight course and it worked out pretty good. My goal would be to have level IV protection and plates that can stop xm193, that seems to be something few can do and those rounds are very popular. Besides using the carrier at front sight and rifle classes my intention was to have this for emergency/shft/bug out gear. Steel is nice because you can be rough with it but you are missing protection.
Old 01-17-2014, 5:55 AM

Default Adding side plates?

Hey guys,

I picked up my first PC recently, just a cheap Voodoo FAST. For a civie doing a few courses and getting a feel for what I want, I think the carrier will do for now.

The one thing I don't care for is there doesn't seem to be an option for side plates. There is a big ole plastic buckle on the side.

I've seen a MOLLE pouch that attaches to the sides to carry plates. Is this something that could work? I think it would end up covering the buckle, which would make donning and doffing on one side a PITA.

Any suggestions (minus getting another pc)?
Old 01-17-2014, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

There are pouches and cummerbunds but I don't think the cummerbunds work without at least a loop to hold it with the plate carrier.

For the cost of the pouches or standalone cummerbund you can get a PC with integrated but removable cummerbund, cheap but works:
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/mopc_mo...e_carrier.aspx
Old 01-17-2014, 9:28 AM

So something like this wouldn't be a worthwhile workaround?

Ebay link
Old 01-17-2014, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

Make sure they are big enough to bridge the gap on the side. Some are designed to attach to a molle cummerbund that is on the side but doesn't have pockets for plates. If it bridges the gap that's a great price
Old 01-19-2014, 1:01 PM

The Voodoo FAST is not set up for side armor or cummerbund inserts. The straps are permanent. A workaround could be designed that piggybacks off of the straps, and could profile a molle soft armor cummerbund. Plates would be too heavy, and since it is a single strap, would cause it to roll to the outside. The Condor is a good option if you want side plates/armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicts View Post
Hey guys,

I picked up my first PC recently, just a cheap Voodoo FAST. For a civie doing a few courses and getting a feel for what I want, I think the carrier will do for now.

The one thing I don't care for is there doesn't seem to be an option for side plates. There is a big ole plastic buckle on the side.

I've seen a MOLLE pouch that attaches to the sides to carry plates. Is this something that could work? I think it would end up covering the buckle, which would make donning and doffing on one side a PITA.

Any suggestions (minus getting another pc)?
Old 01-20-2014, 6:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So whats the verdict on the new plate DBT released... KAP III+ ?

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old 01-20-2014, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews556 View Post
While it may not be the absolute best option, I have a Banshee armor carrier (which I love) and AR500 level 3 rifle plates. It is definitely a bit heavier but if you are in shape and train like everyone should than it's not a big deal. The vest and 2 plates will only cost around $320 and is a practical option for the average person that does not have a ton of money.
did you get the Kevlar inserts for it? I have one and I have added those to my Banshee. I use the plates I have from my IBA I wore in Iraq. it was my personal one I used it up until the Army said no more personal IBA in theater.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryBoy View Post
So whats the verdict on the new plate DBT released... KAP III+ ?
Check out post #91. There are several companies releasing IIIA plates, and I am not impressed. If you are going to wear rigid plates, it does not make sense to wear pistol-only rated. At the minimum, they should stop AK rounds.

These plates are a solution in search of a non-existent problem. If you need extra trauma reduction, go with a rigid plate made of Titanium, which can be made 2.1mm thick and provide the same level of trauma reduction and protection.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Check out post #91. There are several companies releasing IIIA plates, and I am not impressed. If you are going to wear rigid plates, it does not make sense to wear pistol-only rated. At the minimum, they should stop AK rounds.

These plates are a solution in search of a non-existent problem. If you need extra trauma reduction, go with a rigid plate made of Titanium, which can be made 2.1mm thick and provide the same level of trauma reduction and protection.
Sorry, III+ not IIIA. Meaning they are hard armor at Level III. The "+" refers to being able to stop the m193 (which Level III does not technically specify).

Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 PM

I will look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryBoy View Post
Sorry, III+ not IIIA. Meaning they are hard armor at Level III. The "+" refers to being able to stop the m193 (which Level III does not technically specify).
Old 01-29-2014, 1:12 AM
Veteran Member

Doc have you taken a look at the Tyr III+ hard plates?

I am mind boggled by the weight and I've been hearing that these are used by a tier 1 unit so I would think they perform as advertised.

Link
Old 01-29-2014, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
Doc have you taken a look at the Tyr III+ hard plates?

I am mind boggled by the weight and I've been hearing that these are used by a tier 1 unit so I would think they perform as advertised.

Link
They are on my short list of new plates to evaluate. THE DBT KAP actually have me intrigued as well. Their construction method appears to be rather unique, in that they are using a ceramic composite "infusion" rather than monolithic panels. Such a construction method was suggested in IJIE (International Journal of Impact Engineering) several years back, and would be a step up in terms of ruggedness and durability.

The Tyr plates have been on my radar for a few months, and also look like they could be a good option. The only issue with both is of course, cost.

Will post more information after I have a chance to eval.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
If you need M193 protection, get a set of TAP GAMMA III plates. If you need to have protection against a single round (up to and including M2AP), then get a set of level IV plates. Just remember, it is probably better to have multi-hit protection against more common rounds rather than have one-shot and then junk 'em level IV.
Given the amount of energy that would be transferred after being hit by a rifle round, the wearer is going to...at the minimum, have the wind knocked out of them, possibly be bruised and potentially have some broken ribs, etc. Unless we are in a SHTF type of situation, my assumption would be that if I was protected by the armor, I would care less if I had to junk them after the hit and buy a new set (I equate this to a high quality motorcycle helmet...they are only good for one "hit" but you want the best possible. If you crash, you kiss the damaged one for saving your knoggin' just before you toss it in the trash and buy another one). I'm in the market for plates, so I am trying to be devils advocate here as I'm trying to figure out which route to go...so please let me know what I am missing.

I guess where my head is that I am trying to find the best protection/price/weight...and much less concerned about something that will allow me to be shot 10 times. Again, this assumes that the S has not HTF and I can go out and buy new plates if they are now junk.
Old 01-29-2014, 1:00 PM

You are correct. There is, however, a misconception with level IV plates that they are "better" than level III. Unlike soft armor, which goes from level I to IIIA in direct proportion to what they will stop (IIIA is a "better" armor than II for instance), the difference between III and IV is mostly the requirement for AP protection. I recommend III and III+ as a general rule because IV is just not worth the expense for the average person vice a warfighter that may need specific protection against penetrating rounds.

A "IV" plate is not necessarily "better", if it is thicker, more expensive, and less able to take multiple hits than a "III" plate. It all comes back to the specs. Level III is 6 rounds M80 ball @ 2750 fps/15 feet in a 6" circle. IV is *ONE* round of M2AP and lesser threats @ 2800 fps/30 feet, with no requirement to stop subsequent shots. Only you know which spec fits your requirements best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2whls View Post
Given the amount of energy that would be transferred after being hit by a rifle round, the wearer is going to...at the minimum, have the wind knocked out of them, possibly be bruised and potentially have some broken ribs, etc. Unless we are in a SHTF type of situation, my assumption would be that if I was protected by the armor, I would care less if I had to junk them after the hit and buy a new set (I equate this to a high quality motorcycle helmet...they are only good for one "hit" but you want the best possible. If you crash, you kiss the damaged one for saving your knoggin' just before you toss it in the trash and buy another one). I'm in the market for plates, so I am trying to be devils advocate here as I'm trying to figure out which route to go...so please let me know what I am missing.

I guess where my head is that I am trying to find the best protection/price/weight...and much less concerned about something that will allow me to be shot 10 times. Again, this assumes that the S has not HTF and I can go out and buy new plates if they are now junk.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM

Thank you for the post. God bless you and the USA
Old 02-07-2014, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They are on my short list of new plates to evaluate. THE DBT KAP actually have me intrigued as well. Their construction method appears to be rather unique, in that they are using a ceramic composite "infusion" rather than monolithic panels. Such a construction method was suggested in IJIE (International Journal of Impact Engineering) several years back, and would be a step up in terms of ruggedness and durability.

The Tyr plates have been on my radar for a few months, and also look like they could be a good option. The only issue with both is of course, cost.

Will post more information after I have a chance to eval.
I look forward to the eval. I always enjoy popping into this thread once a month and catching up on the new armor testing and discussion. Thanks for the quality info.

Old 02-27-2014, 1:35 PM

Thanks for all the kind words! I am starting a blog, and will have reviews, evals, tests, and various other tidbits regarding armor, as well as my opinions (as always). Please follow me at http://www.drmorgear.wordpress.com

Last edited by d-r; 02-27-2014 at 8:58 PM..
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to the new blog, thanks for the link d-r.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for all the kind words! I am starting a blog, and will have reviews, evals, tests, and various other tidbits regarding armor, as well as my opinions (as always). Please follow me at http://www.drmorgear.wordpress.com
Enjoyed the first couple posts! I look forward to the rest!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Trying to decide on some steel plates.

Patriot Plates vs Flash Bainite AR500 steel plates? Which is recommended and why?

And is it better to pick up plates with line-x and then use a fabric spall guard or just go unline with a fabric spall guard. For me... weight savings is more important than increased weight with minimal benefit.

And do you have link to what fabric spall guard is recommended? The old link to the calguns thread about fabric spall guard is dead.

Thanks.

EDIT: Is there a link on where to get Flash Bainite AR500 steel plates?

Last edited by neomedic; 03-10-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 PM

The Patriot plates are overall a better deal, and they are good folks over at Maingun Surplus.

I recommend a thin Line-X coat on all steel plates for corrosion protection, and it does not hurt to have a little extra spall mitigation. Spall guards should be worn with all steel plates, and many ceramic plates also benefit from them.

Updated links in thread for guards.

Last edited by d-r; 03-10-2014 at 11:50 PM..