Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 08-20-2013, 9:49 AM

Default Question on Guns and Sling Mounts for Appleseed

I would like to do this event with my brother at RAAHAUGE's in Corona, and I have two bolt action 22lr rifles. One of them has a 4x scope on it-- is that a problem? Does anyone know if I would be allowed a .223 rifle at this particular range for this event? I do have an AR15 with iron sights...

For attaching the GI sling as seen in the appleseed online store, which size slings do I want? 1", 1 1/4", ???, etc...
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

You can run what you brung, but be aware that you will likely shoot 400+ rounds on both days, so shooting centerfire might be a little pricey. Scopes are fine, as well as irons. Any sling that you like, get it. Doesnt matter the size as far as the Appleseed is concerned. Have fun, Ive been twice, finally got my Rifleman on 10/30/12. Its a blast, and if you listen, you will learn a lot!
Old 08-20-2013, 1:01 PM

You want 1.25" sling swivels for the slings sold through the Appleseed store.

4x scope is perfect, it's all you really at need at 25 meters. Choice between scope and iron sights is a matter of personal preference / your eyesight.

It's fine to bring a 22LR to run on Saturday, which is when most of the basic instruction is done, then pull out the AR on Sunday. There is generally time to sight in a second rifle on Sunday AM.

You can shoot a rifleman score with a bolt gun, in fact, we had one shooter do just that this past Sunday at Castro Valley. But a semi-auto does give you an advantage, no question about it.
Old 08-20-2013, 2:09 PM

I assume you are supposed to qualify with a non-scoped rifle, right?
Old 08-20-2013, 2:34 PM

I used a scoped AR 223 (and didn't pass) at Piru in Aug. One of the (fantastic) instructors loaned me a sling; which worked but I found a pain to take on and off many, many times over 2 days.
Since then I ordered one of these:

http://ustacticalsupply.com/quickcuffsnipersling.aspx

Part of the sling stays on your support arm and quick disconnects from the main sling. I tried it at the range and it seems to work, but obviously I'm no expert. I intend to use it at the next Appleseed I attend.

(Btw; I went thru over 450 rounds of 223 in the 2 days so I'm now putting together an AR 22 which I should have done long ago.)
Old 08-20-2013, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetman624 View Post

NEGATIVE.

Scopes are welcome at Appleseed.
Iron sights are welcome at Appleseed (but please ditch the factory ruger sights.....)
Slings are welcome and encouraged at Appleseed.
Bolt actions are welcome
Semi auto's are welcome
Kids and Adults are welcome too.
Old 08-20-2013, 4:20 PM

My Marlin 25N has stock sights-- I assume those are prob on par with the Rugers. The only aftermarket sights I have found look like they have little glow sticks in them-- is that a worthwhile upgrade?

So if I do the one at RAAHAUGE's I can bring my .223 700P with a 12x scope? Seems like that be a little easy at 25 meters... Prob rather stick to something with irons or the savage with a 4x scope...
Old 08-20-2013, 5:08 PM

Three position shooting to a 4MOA standard is not easier with a 700p.

Bring the 700P. Shoot it. See if it's as easy as you think.

For replacement sights I suggest Tech Sights. They are an excellent product that is adjustable for windage.
Old 08-20-2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
My Marlin 25N has stock sights-- I assume those are prob on par with the Rugers. The only aftermarket sights I have found look like they have little glow sticks in them-- is that a worthwhile upgrade?
Are these:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/890180.htm
the stock sights you have? If so, better than the Ruger - not that it's saying much! I haven't seen the optical fiber aftermarket sight, so no opinion there.

Quote:
So if I do the one at RAAHAUGE's I can bring my .223 700P with a 12x scope? Seems like that be a little easy at 25 meters... Prob rather stick to something with irons or the savage with a 4x scope...
The 12x scope will make you seasick when shooting offhand! Turn it down or go with the 4x.
Old 08-20-2013, 7:28 PM
CGSSA Leader

Default Some "Official" answers...

Mostly echoing what others have said:

Quote:
I would like to do this event with my brother at RAAHAUGE's in Corona, and I have two bolt action 22lr rifles. One of them has a 4x scope on it-- is that a problem? Does anyone know if I would be allowed a .223 rifle at this particular range for this event? I do have an AR15 with iron sights...

For attaching the GI sling as seen in the appleseed online store, which size slings do I want? 1", 1 1/4", ???, etc...
4x scope is fine. Raahague's is fine with .223, so bring your AR if you like.

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Some people need scopes, some like scopes, some don't. It's just a different tool. Scopes come with both strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Those are probably the Williams Fire-Sights. They're better than stock but they aren't "click"-adjustable. We suggest Tech-Sights for this reason, but go with whatever works for you.

Quote:
I'll be willing to bet you'll do worse with the Remmy, for a couple of reasons. But you can bring it too if you like.

Plan to stick with one rifle for the whole weekend. Only switch if it breaks, or if you've decided you're happy with your progress. We recommend .22's mainly due to the expense.

Whatever rifle you use should have a sling, loop sling capability even better; and should have sights with positive, calibrated adjustments. Other than that, it's pretty much run what you brung.

Because of the timed stages we recommend magazine-fed rifles but many students do well without; similarly, because of the emphasis on NPOA we recommend semi-auto but we get lots of bolt-actions and they usually do fine too. See you out there soon, and bring a friend.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-20-2013, 8:58 PM

How many rounds should the magazines be? Is 5 ok, or does it need to be more?

It doesn't look like Tech Sights makes a product for my Marlin, but I have emailed them to ask.

Will prob stick with the 22s due to cost, but will bring an the AR just in case one of them goes down. Thank you all for the input-- very excited to get out there in September.
Old 08-20-2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
Are these:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/890180.htm
the stock sights you have? If so, better than the Ruger - not that it's saying much! I haven't seen the optical fiber aftermarket sight, so no opinion there.
That is what the stock rear sight looks like. The problem I have with the stock sight is seeing the front blade. I have a tendency to "lose" it with the rear sight and everything else being the same color. If I don't get a different set of sights, I may just have to throw some white paint or something in the front sight to help me find it...
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
This is a "run whatcha brung" shoot. Ten round mags are great; five rounders are ok too.

Our standard course of fire calls for ten rounds, with magazines prepped w/ 2 and 8 rounds.

That said, we will gladly work with whatever you bring out.

Bring Friends!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:

It doesn't look like Tech Sights makes a product for my Marlin, but I have emailed them to ask.
Try to bring two mags per rifle. 5 round mags are OK (you're using a bolt), 10 rounds are better. Also always good to have a spare, since they occasionally clog with dirt...

I'm reasonably sure the Marlin 795 Tech Sights will fit the 25N, but let's wait to see what they have to say...

Old 08-21-2013, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

Just signed up for my first Appleseed class at Raahauges. Really looking forward to it!

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 08-21-2013, 3:05 PM

The one thing I will add (as I am new to all this as well) is if you are looking at slings, nearly every Appleseed report I've seen mentions that a standard cotton web sling is more useful than a nylon/synthetic sling, because it's not as stretchy and because it's not as slippery.

The Appleseed store (on the main ASP website) sells the cotton ones for a very reasonable price.
Old 08-21-2013, 5:04 PM
CGSSA Leader

Correct. We do like cotton better than nylon.

Speaking from experience, the hardware on the sling will wear out faster than the cotton will. It's a non-factor unless you have genetically altered super weevils loose in your gunsafe.