Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 PM

Default My experince at West Covina Turner's

I went to Turners in West Covina on 07/23/12 at around 1800 and I asked to look at a Ruger SR22 and a S&W M&P9. The sales guy behind the counter was named Stephen and handed me the Ruger first. I asked to dry fire it and asked for a snap cap because it was a rimfire. I then asked about the S&W M&P22. He tells me that no one in California has one yet and that anyone who does must have got it through nefarious means. Typical gun store misinformation that I just ignored.

I handed the Ruger back to him muzzle down and he carelessly and repeatedly points the gun towards my girlfriend’s face. I tried not to make a big deal about it and just pulled her away so she wasn’t staring down the barrel of a gun.

He slowly walked 5 feet over to the glass display to get the M&P like I’m wasting his time. He hands me the gun and I look it over, rack the slide, and dry fired it with the muzzle down. The M&P is notorious for having a bad trigger so I wanted to check it out before buying. I did this 4 times and Stephen stop me and rudely says “Hey hey hey! You just dry fired it 4 times. What do you expect to determine?”
I was like “uh.. slack in the trigger? Weight of the trigger pull? Trigger reset? Over travel? It’s a centerfire gun. It doesn’t hurt the gun at all.” He goes on to say what I was doing is not good for the gun and that I’m exhibiting suspicious behavior. Then he says “I’m going to have to ask you again, what do you hope to determine?” in a very rude and confrontational way, like I’m trying to break their gun or something.

I was surprised by the attitude of Stephen, especially his accusation of suspicious behavior. I took my $500 and walked out.

I just wanted to share my experience at Turners of West Covina.

Last edited by [im[.] | Neo; 07-24-2012 at 5:39 AM..
Old 07-27-2012, 6:46 PM

Is it safe to assume you wouldn't want the one on display because other people like yourself have handled it and dry fired it a countless number of times? That always cracks me up, people always complain about buying display guns because people handle them yet those very same people pick up those guns, dry fire them, operate the action over and over and then demand that they must have something un-touched by human hands because people like them are always fiddling with them. You don't have my sympathy.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Ditto. Be respectful of other peoples property. Granted, he could have relayed the message better to you but if you so particular about a trigger dont buy an XD or a Glock for that matter.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 PM

I only deal with Jeff, Carrie(sp?), or that tall manager with the glasses there. I've never had a bad experience dealing with those guys there.
Old 07-28-2012, 7:33 PM

A valid point to safety made, but this seems like a personality conflict more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateba View Post
Is it safe to assume you wouldn't want the one on display because other people like yourself have handled it and dry fired it a countless number of times? That always cracks me up, people always complain about buying display guns because people handle them yet those very same people pick up those guns, dry fire them, operate the action over and over and then demand that they must have something un-touched by human hands because people like them are always fiddling with them. You don't have my sympathy.
x2
Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 PM

I've actually bought several display models before and never had any problem with it. I bought a complete and stripped lower from the same Turners and was given the display models. I dealt with Chuck for that purchase and had a wonderful buying experience with him. I also bought a Glock 19 at another store that was a display model, so no, it is not safe to assume i wouldn't be buying the display model.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dry firing a Glock or M&P doesn't hurt the gun in any way, right? Hell, its required to take down my Glock 19. Does anybody throw in a snap cap every time they take down their Glock? Somehow i doubt it.

You also take down a M&P by dry firing, right? Yes, yes, I know theres a tool where you can pull out that lever to take it down, but both ways are suppose to be equally acceptable, right?

Last edited by [im[.] | Neo; 07-28-2012 at 11:13 PM..