Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-24-2013, 7:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Splat View Post
Its just SOOOOOOO UGLY! I can never get over its looks. Its like buying the fattest, ugliest and cheapest hooker you can find. Sure the job may get done but I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get something I wont regret the next morning.
^^ this +1
Old 03-24-2013, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

This is what we've come to, debating on the worth and cost of a Hi Point.
I know times are tough and the gun industry is in shambles but really, REALLY.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:01 AM
Banned

I would buy one for 99$ but not 250
Old 03-24-2013, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hey ronin2 you ever shot one? i have smiths and 1911s and glocks and I shoot my c9 for fun and keep it in nightsatnd it shoots fine no ftf or stovepipes. If you have never shot try it. Another big voice on here.

Last edited by edgerly779; 03-24-2013 at 8:18 AM.. Reason: courtesy
Old 03-24-2013, 8:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Hey ronin2 you ever shot one? i have smiths and 1911s and glocks and I shoot my c9 for fun and keep it in nightsatnd it shoots fine no ftf or stovepipes. If you have never shot one shut up. Another big mouth on here.

So one must actually shoot a cheap gun in order to have an opinion, Jennings,Bryco,Maverick,Davis, Hi point just to name a few. History is a great thing and always repeats itself. Yes I once fell victim to the to the first four so yes I have been there done that, lesson learned, Thank's for your opinion oh and God forbid if everyone has "their" our own Knowledge and opinions.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

no comparison between raven,lorcin. jennings,davis, bryco 25 cal and a c9 9mm. Hold them side by side and say that. and anyone dumb enough to buy any of those 25 cal saturday night specials has no sense anyway. 30 years ago the gun shops were pushing those out the door as fast as possible. All those gun shops from the valley are now out of business. An inexpensive handgun is not always a no good handgun. They have a lifetime warranty. Its their knowledge that i question.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
no comparison between raven,lorcin. jennings,davis, bryco 25 cal and a c9 9mm. Hold them side by side and say that. and anyone dumb enough to buy any of those 25 cal saturday night specials has no sense anyway. 30 years ago the gun shops were pushing those out the door as fast as possible. All those gun shops from the valley are now out of business. An inexpensive handgun is not always a no good handgun. They have a lifetime warranty. Its their knowledge that i question.
And do you not think Hi-point is one in the same and will go in the same direction? Millions of companies have or have offered so called lifetime warranties and fell by the wayside. A warranty doesn't mean crap if the co. fails now does it, thirty years ago no one knew those others were crapola same can be said with Hi-point only History will reveal but I for one am smart enough not to gamble it. To bad others are not! Also I am done with my opinion and the entire thread. Bye.

Last edited by toby; 03-24-2013 at 8:52 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 8:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have stated you already made the mistake of buying most of the cheap 25 cals. I don't intend to use the c9 for my primary. I shoot it enought to be familiar with it and it is one of my house handguns. It works and that is what I care about for an occasional use firearm. Time will tell if they upgrade and build higher end handguns. And who knows what will happen in future. I won't be around to see it.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

In a self defense situation, wouldn't you want the cheapest gun available? Considering that you will most likely loose it.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

^ Yep ^ and besides that I can afford to buy three or four Hi-points when I couldn't even afford one Glock.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

The people speaking ill of Hi-Points have clearly never shot or held one.

For the price, they are good firearms that go bang when you pull the trigger and put the bullet where you want it on a man sized target.

Oh, I forgot, this is CGN where anything less than a Les Baer for a 1911, a revised and modded Gen 4 Glock, a West German Sig, a DD Carbine, or Benelli Scattergun isn't even worth talking about.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
In a self defense situation, wouldn't you want the cheapest gun available? Considering that you will most likely loose it.
Ummm no. I would want the most reliable gun I own

PS. If it was offered to me, I would pick up a Hi-Point for $100 no more. Wouldn't go out of my way to purchase one though. Just too damn ugly IMHO.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr310 View Post
The people speaking ill of Hi-Points have clearly never shot or held one.

For the price, they are good firearms that go bang when you pull the trigger and put the bullet where you want it on a man sized target.

Oh, I forgot, this is CGN where anything less than a Les Baer for a 1911, a revised and modded Gen 4 Glock, a West German Sig, a DD Carbine, or Benelli Scattergun isn't even worth talking about.
I'm sorry dude but I have shot many hi points and they all suck and don't cycle properly. Go to any range and you will find them failing to load.

I agree with your other statements though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
I'm sorry dude but I have shot many hi points and they all suck and don't cycle properly. Go to any range and you will find them failing to load.

That could be very true about what you saw, but I've shot one regularly before and it never failed a shot. There are lemons of every brand. I just think that to discredit a brand because of its price is disingenuous on its face.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Never had one fail to load, or cycle and I've fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds through mine. Look at that torture test video posted on the first page. Dropped in mud, run over, thrown, bore obstructions, red pill overloads, no problems. I'd like to see that done with an expensive firearm.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

If they're really selling for that, I am a dumbarse. In the past few years, I've sold a Jennings .25, a Jennings 9, and a Rossi .38 Special for less than $300 total.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Sounds like underpowered loads or limp wristing to me. I've seen both happen a lot with Glocks and every other semi auto out there.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-24-2013, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

I think people should shoot whatever they like but you're not gonna convince me that PoS should be my goto gun. I saw a piece on the carbine and really lol they are better used as a club than a firearm. Whatever makes you happy though /shrug. I'll take that $150 and buy ammo for my "REAL" guns...

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 03-24-2013, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

HiPoints are too expensive at any price.
Old 03-24-2013, 3:33 PM
Banned

First Handgun ever bought for me to take to the range and practice with my moms boyfriend when I was a teen..He then sold it to my friend years later because I thought it was ugly as heck and Glocks were the new kid of the block and thats what I wanted. That friend still has it to this day 20 years later and it still functions although my friend NEVER took it down and cleaned it... yes the gun hasnt been cleaned in over 20 yrs and still fires flawless....
Old 03-25-2013, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboi2012 View Post
First Handgun ever bought for me to take to the range and practice with my moms boyfriend when I was a teen..He then sold it to my friend years later because I thought it was ugly as heck and Glocks were the new kid of the block and thats what I wanted. That friend still has it to this day 20 years later and it still functions although my friend NEVER took it down and cleaned it... yes the gun hasnt been cleaned in over 20 yrs and still fires flawless....

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 05-17-2013, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
You're all crazy. Hi-Points are great. With enough practice if you run out of ammo you can wield it against your opponent like Thor's Hammer.
You made me laugh!! I like that!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 7:19 AM

For the $150 it goes for, I think the Hi Point handgun would make a pretty decent training gun. If they made one in 22LR, I'd buy one for a range gun. It'd be great to teach new shooters how to shoot, clear FTE's, and FTF's.
Old 05-17-2013, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain556 View Post
Really ? What gives. Still see these at gun shops for about 150-170 yet people r selling them
On here for 270$??
Nice to know you've appointed yourself as price monitor...

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 05-17-2013, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't own one, but one thing is for sure; i haven't come across a marketplace post for a Hi-Point ending with "...and it's been in the safe ever since."

I know it's coated in Rust-O-Leum and Testers hobby paint but I wouldn't care if I had dropped it while pistolwhipping a zombie. My Sig, however, would require a Purple Heart ceremony.

As far as looks go, well this is America and Americans celebrate things like "blue ribbon pigs" and "world's largest turnip" and Snookie. Need I say more?

Last edited by [Variable]; 05-17-2013 at 8:10 AM..
Old 05-17-2013, 8:55 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

None of my high points ever failed. High Point is better than no gun. I love my 995 carbine. It just works flawlessly. Haters and gun snobs are on every forum.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i'd buy one for under $100.00 and feel good about the purchase.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

sarcasm
I like to offer them their hyper-inflated price and setup a meeting time and place. Then I no-show the greedy b*st*rds. Oh wait, that was a another thread, kinda, but in reverse.
/sarcasm
Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 AM

I was able to recently buy a hi point on here for basically $5 if you dont consider dros. Wasnt really a big fan cause im more of a glock guy but the deal was sweet. I received a:
A hi-point c9
3 oem mags
2 pistol hard case
5 triple k snap caps
50 rounds of 115 grain umc fmj
40 rounds of 124 grain golden sabre jhp
39 rounds of 124 grain remington express jhp

If you consider the inflated price of 9mm especially jhp's, I got the gun itself for around $5 or $40 if you include dros. The deals are out there you just gotta look.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM

^Sorry forgot to say the base price I got from the calgunner was $150
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM

I got a Ruger instead of a High Point. I needed a new slide, parts came flying out of the new slide, gun came back from Ruger and fails to fire on the last 2 rounds.

Wish I got the High Point.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
Hi Points are well worth the price (yeah $99 is the going rate). They are a tough, well made (made in America), cheap, functional handgun. Don't knock them.
I agree. They are good for what they are and what they cost.

The whole point of Hi-Point was to make an affordable gun for those who cannot afford a better one.

They aren't unreliable, or unusable. They are less durable. So don't abuse it. Though, if you watch you tube, iraqveteran8888 did torture tests and ended up having a little more respect for the Hi-Point. But everything is tradeoffs. If you need a home defense gun, and cannot afford anything else now, nothing wrong with it

ETA: Hi Point Guns have an unlimited, lifetime warranty, that extends to subsequent owners. That is not shabby. So you get a gun that is heavier, blockier and uglier. They work and are cheap. Blowback action is not some evil thing. It just means more weight, but cheaper to make.

Last edited by JoshuaS; 05-17-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 PM

It seems like they would be good guns for a bug-out-bag, or keep one in the trunk of your car, etc. It shouldn't be your main gun by any means.
Old 05-17-2013, 1:45 PM

6 of 0ne, half a dozen of the other, shoot whatever you can afford. If it's not your thing then don't buy it.
Old 05-17-2013, 3:34 PM

Most people hate on Hi Points, but I will tell you my experience....

I did a lot of research and rented glocks, sigs and a hi point and fired a boxed through each one before I made the decision.....

I decided on the hi point C9 because after shooting them all side by side I could not justify 3-4x the price for something that did the same thing (I have the means to purchase any of them)....

I now have 1200 rounds through my c9 (just put another 200 through it on Monday) and have not had 1 issue....

Goes bang & puts the round where I want it.

Would I have paid $250-$270 for it? Probably not, but with the state of the market right now who knows....

Dont let the gun snobs stop you, but seriously I would look for a new one from a LGS before I bought a used one for that price. If you do go with the used one you might want to call them and ask if the warranty is transferable (I have no idea if it is or not).
Old 05-17-2013, 4:48 PM

I thought about buying a high point, in the end I bought a P95. I looked into the high point and found that like any other gun when you put ammo in it and press the trigger it goes boom. If you feel like you need to spend more well go ahead, so far its a free country. I just read the threads about guys complaining about a scratch on the gun or this or they spend hundreds if not thousands on different finishes to the guns. ITS JUST A GUN, get over it.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:09 PM

I saw some buy trying to trade his Hi-point carbine for a $700 .223 rifle! Had a calgunner try to sell me surplus corrosive ak ammo for $.50 per round. At least I see the same listings in the market place with 23 bumps and no sale. I can find the guns I want online for much cheaper than the market place here. It's just silly! Atlanticfirearms has milled ak47's for $1200 people here are trying to get $1300 for their wasr10. PTR91 GI $1100 online, people here trying to get $1500-$2000. You know what, at the end of the day it's their gun, they can sell it for whatever they like. If you are a buyer just beware. If you drop $1000 on a rifle without research then it's really your fault if you get taken.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:19 PM

Meh, I've shot one before... I'd buy one for 100 bucks OTD. No more though.
If we are talking those cheap guns, I'd rather go with a phoenix hp22a. Reason being, their both not SD guns, their for cheap fun, 22 is cheaper than 9, and the hp22a doesn't look like crap.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:30 PM

I'd get one for about a hundred, no more. Even $100 plus DROS might be too much. For that price I could buy a decent amount of ammo, or some piece of much more useful gear.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM

C9 was "my first", my gateway gun. It is ugly and cheap, and a pain to take down and clean. But, it is accurate and never gives me problems.