Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 PM

Exclamation help with safe

just looking for any advice if anyone has had experience with liberty safes or amsec, im currently in the market for one, i mainly want it to protect my guns from burglars, i know these may not be the best but i think they will do fine along with the security system i have in place, im looking into the liberty safe colonial or Amsec BF6024 any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:37 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

I've heard good things about Amsec.

You really do get what you pay for. A good safe isn't cheap.

Definitely plan on bolting it to the floor. The bottom of the safe can be extremely vulnerable.

Look for the UL rating. A rating of RSC means it's very, very low security. The safe may look imposing and be super heavy and have nice big locking bars, but if it's only rated RSC it's no good.

Well, correction. Not that it's 'no good', but it's not really designed to resist more than five minutes, I think?

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/pa...rglary-ratings

Think about your threat profile right? If this is going in your garage on a home with a burglar alarm and cameras, an RSC is probably ok.

If you're storing tons of family heirlooms or really valuable guns (or if you're a LEO and have 'fun' stuff your department really can't afford to have fall into the wrong hands) you want something stronger (Amsec makes both TL-15 and TL-30 rated safes). Again, though, these things are going to cost correspondingly more.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
I've heard good things about Amsec.

You really do get what you pay for. A good safe isn't cheap.

Definitely plan on bolting it to the floor. The bottom of the safe can be extremely vulnerable.

Look for the UL rating. A rating of RSC means it's very, very low security. The safe may look imposing and be super heavy and have nice big locking bars, but if it's only rated RSC it's no good.

Well, correction. Not that it's 'no good', but it's not really designed to resist more than five minutes, I think?

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/pa...rglary-ratings

Think about your threat profile right? If this is going in your garage on a home with a burglar alarm and cameras, an RSC is probably ok.

If you're storing tons of family heirlooms or really valuable guns (or if you're a LEO and have 'fun' stuff your department really can't afford to have fall into the wrong hands) you want something stronger (Amsec makes both TL-15 and TL-30 rated safes). Again, though, these things are going to cost correspondingly more.
yes you are right, im looking to spend about 1600-2500 somewhere around there, im sure it won't be the greatest but it what i can do right now and as far as whats gonna go in there it will just be firearms maybe 10k worth more or less, and documents like birth certificates and other important info but thats about it, and it would be going up stairs in my closet in the master bedroom and i would definitely want it bolted down and even to the wall if possible.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:45 PM

I have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. and love it. I have extensive security throughout the house.
Just remember, buy a safe one size larger than you think you'll need. When we go out of town for more than a couple days, we put all sorts of "valuables" in the safe. ie. laptops, jewlery, etc. so, need extra space.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
I have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. and love it. I have extensive security throughout the house.
Just remember, buy a safe one size larger than you think you'll need. When we go out of town for more than a couple days, we put all sorts of "valuables" in the safe. ie. laptops, jewlery, etc. so, need extra space.
ive been looking at that one and thought it was to big but youre right it will probably end up being to small one day haha, and when we do leave town for a couple of days i have my brother or close relatives stay in the house so its never really alone for a day, and i have vivint so the house has a couple of cameras
Old 05-25-2019, 11:36 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

If it's going to be in your bedroom, and you have a burglar alarm and cameras, you're probably good with getting any RSC from a reputable manufacturer. It's more to keep out pyring eyes and kids at that point I think.

If it's going up the stairs, you probably want to keep an eye on the weight too.

Check out these guys:

https://www.deansafe.com/gun-safes.html

They can probably get you some good recommendations. Otherwise, scope out Craigslist and see what's there. I got my relatively crappy one from CL for cheap, delivered.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Buy a used commercial rated safe from Craigslist.

You can get a safe with a 15-30 minute tool rating.

The safe cost $50k and up new

They are heavy but they are a safe...

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-25-2019, 11:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Above the budget
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...893465350.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...897476646.html

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-25-2019, 11:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Craig’s list has new stuff all the time

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...884810380.html

— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Dean"s Safes

Check out Dean's safes, I bought a Fort Knox safe from them a few years ago,
they have a great selection of new and used safes, they can deliver and install anywhere in the house. Here's them delivering my 1600 lb safe: 915.jpghttps://www.deansafe.com/gun-safes.html

916.jpg

Last edited by drdanno84; 05-26-2019 at 12:01 AM..
Old 05-26-2019, 7:42 AM

I've had a large Canon safe with the electronic lock for 20 years. No problems with the lock. I bought it from Dean Safe. And when I needed it moved to different locations, they did it at reasonable cost.
I recently visited both of their stores & they have a large selection.
Old 05-26-2019, 8:38 AM

I have an AMSEC BF7240 & BF7250. And would buy them again. Their customer service is top notch as well.

When in doubt..."EMPTY THE MAGAZINE"!!!!
You get $10 and i get $10. click link
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/854090
Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Amsec makes a good product.
So does Sun Welding in Simi Valley.
Like others have said, you get what you pay for.
Avoid Costco Bighorn; low-grade chink junk.
Old 05-26-2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff661 View Post
... whats gonna go in there it will just be firearms maybe 10k worth more or less, and documents like birth certificates and other important info but thats about it, and it would be going up stairs in my closet in the master bedroom and i would definitely want it bolted down and even to the wall if possible.
When you look at the fire rating, that's going to be a measure of how well constructed and insulated the safe or RSC is. Papers will incinerate long before a firearm will. To be safe, don't keep a firearm loaded with one in the chamber. If a fire did happen, when that round cooks off, it won't just "pffft" as it burns the gunpowder. Being in the chamber, the bullet will propel down the barrel just like you'd pulled the trigger. It happened to a friend who had a motor home fire. The .44 Mag revolver lit off a round during the fire that hit the dirt embankment where all the occupants had gathered to watch the vehicle burn down. (After the bullet hit the dirt, they continued to watch but from the far side of the dirt berm. A semi-auto could possibly have chambered another round.)

Realistically, you're going to be in the RSC category. How do I know this? "Going upstairs in my closet..." A true safe like a TL30 is going to weigh well over a ton BEFORE you fill it. Unless your "upstairs" has been reinforced by an engineer, you're limited to an RSC structurally. I certainly wouldn't be eager to be on the first floor with a TL-30 resting on wood framing directly above me!

From your later description about house-sitting relatives and your home security, bolting a good quality RSC like an AmSec into an upstairs bedroom closet should be fine. If it's bolted down after being maneuvered into a position that inhibits using prying tools, even better. If your alarm is already going off before the bad guys can even get to the safe, it's doubtful they'd take the time to break the RSC loose and try to force it open.
Old 05-26-2019, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Any safe is better than no safe...

High and dry is good.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-26-2019, 2:30 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Amsec makes a good product.
So does Sun Welding in Simi Valley.
Like others have said, you get what you pay for.

Avoid Costco Bighorn; low-grade chink junk.
But even those will keep out your toddlers - I bought one as a gift for my grandson.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-26-2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
When you look at the fire rating, that's going to be a measure of how well constructed and insulated the safe or RSC is. Papers will incinerate long before a firearm will. To be safe, don't keep a firearm loaded with one in the chamber. If a fire did happen, when that round cooks off, it won't just "pffft" as it burns the gunpowder. Being in the chamber, the bullet will propel down the barrel just like you'd pulled the trigger. It happened to a friend who had a motor home fire. The .44 Mag revolver lit off a round during the fire that hit the dirt embankment where all the occupants had gathered to watch the vehicle burn down. (After the bullet hit the dirt, they continued to watch but from the far side of the dirt berm. A semi-auto could possibly have chambered another round.)

Realistically, you're going to be in the RSC category. How do I know this? "Going upstairs in my closet..." A true safe like a TL30 is going to weigh well over a ton BEFORE you fill it. Unless your "upstairs" has been reinforced by an engineer, you're limited to an RSC structurally. I certainly wouldn't be eager to be on the first floor with a TL-30 resting on wood framing directly above me!

From your later description about house-sitting relatives and your home security, bolting a good quality RSC like an AmSec into an upstairs bedroom closet should be fine. If it's bolted down after being maneuvered into a position that inhibits using prying tools, even better. If your alarm is already going off before the bad guys can even get to the safe, it's doubtful they'd take the time to break the RSC loose and try to force it open.
All this is good info thank you so much
Old 05-26-2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Any safe is better than no safe...

High and dry is good.
I actually read the opposite lol there was an article that pointed out if you had a cheap safe and you put all your valuables in there you just made it easier for the thief because now he’s just gonna focus on the safe and If it’s fairly easy to get into it he’s gonna have everything in there.
Old 05-26-2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdanno84 View Post
Check out Dean's safes, I bought a Fort Knox safe from them a few years ago,
they have a great selection of new and used safes, they can deliver and install anywhere in the house. Here's them delivering my 1600 lb safe: Attachment 807156https://www.deansafe.com/gun-safes.html

Attachment 807157
That’s a nice safe! I looked them up but since I’m in Bakersfield the shipping is pretty high
Old 05-26-2019, 3:22 PM

When it comes to safes, you get what you pay for. I know this video has been posted multiple times on calguns, but is a good demonstration of how easy a cheap safe can be compromised, especially if it's not bolted down.
https://youtu.be/B8ViUdd-2LM

The more steel, the better. The heavier, the better. The BF series is worlds better than the Liberty Fat Boy. Budget is always a leading factor, but an Amsec BF series is the minimum I would consider for a $10K collection. I think the Sturdy Safes are also a good security value and have a lot of steel, but there is much debate on the fire lining that they offer. Sun Welding also makes good safes and will build in as much steel as your wallet can afford.

The commercial bank vaults are a great option if you can find a good deal on one. The TL-15 listed above in the craigslist ad would be great if you cut out the compartments inside and built a gun interior. A TL-15 is 100x better than any RSC, but many don't have fire protection.

A quality safe can be a lifetime investment. They can carry huge upfront cost, but will be very inexpensive amortized over many years. A true example of buy once, cry once. Buy the best you can afford.
Old 05-26-2019, 3:45 PM

The AMSEC BF is a great RSC and in the 6030 size is about the max weight you can get up any stairs into the house. You can also order the safe with HVY 1/4 steel inner liner for about the best RSC available.
For a TL30 real safe most people will have to put it in the garage if it is in the 2500-5,000 lb range(to put a rifle in). A small AMSEC TL 15 or 30 would be great in the closet for money and jewelry.
Also don’t overlook a Knaack lock box (used for tools) for valuables up to $3,000-$4000 as it will be stronger then a cheap RSC safe at Costco.
Old 05-26-2019, 3:54 PM

The credit union at work moved and I got the TL30 safes for free. I just had to pay the safe co to move them. $800 for the first safe and $200 for the 2nd. They weigh about a ton each.
Old 05-26-2019, 4:13 PM

Check out vault pro. Amazing quality for the price & hand built. There is a wait time but it's worth it. I took a tour of their shop & was lucky to find a floor model I liked.

https://www.vaultprousa.com/
Old 05-27-2019, 2:05 PM

UPDATE! Ended up going with the Liberty 1776 series 36 gun, in gloss white (to keep the wife happy)
Old 05-27-2019, 2:13 PM

Congratulations
Remember- every safe has a purpose/value of goods to protect. Don’t put $30,000 worth of goods in a safe intended to protect $5,000. When you get $8,000 to $10,000 worth of goods in that safe, you need another safe.
Congratulations again.