Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Looking for driver's side door mounted quick access safe

Does anyone have knowledge of quick access pistol safes that I might be able to mount on the driver's side car door in my vehicle? I want something that is bolted or otherwise secured to the door. I want to be able to put in a short code and have the safe open in a way that presents the grip of the gun such that I can reach down with my left hand and grab the gun when needed.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 AM

It's gonna show every time you open the door.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundiver View Post

This. Not sure Id want that.

Is this for locking your CCW on Post Office grounds or similar? Otherwise, it will have to be unloaded and in a locked container. Which can be anywhere, even under the seat.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-18-2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post

Is this for locking your CCW on Post Office grounds or similar? Otherwise, it will have to be unloaded and in a locked container. Which can be anywhere, even under the seat.
It is for locking up my CCW handgun while at work, because the policy where I work is that a CCW holder may store a handgun in their car but may not bring it in to work. And it would be for access during the drive to and from work each day instead of putting on and taking off a gun belt & holster.

Would you mind citing the California law that says the gun has to be stored unloaded when the CCW holder is not in the vehicle?
Old 05-18-2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
I currently use a slim black handgun safe that fits into the side pocket of the door. The interior pocket compartment of the door is black plastic, so the safe blends in well. I don't think what I have now is obvious or draws any attention when I open the door. I want something similar but easier to access.
Old 05-18-2019, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
+1. And probably be visible from the passenger window.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-18-2019, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
It is for locking up my CCW handgun while at work, because the policy where I work is that a CCW holder may store a handgun in their car but may not bring it in to work. And it would be for access during the drive to and from work each day instead of putting on and taking off a gun belt & holster.

Would you mind citing the California law that says the gun has to be stored unloaded when the CCW holder is not in the vehicle?
OK, understood.

I know unloaded & in a locked container doesn't apply to CCW which is why I put the 'otherwise' in the above sentence.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-18-2019, 3:04 PM

Get an u under seat safe, keep gun in center console while driving, use a trigger guard scabbard.
Old 05-18-2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
Get an u under seat safe, keep gun in center console while driving, use a trigger guard scabbard.
Gun in center console or glove compartment is illegal, I've been told.

I know that there are many ways to store a gun in a car. I was looking for information specifically on a gun safe secured to a car door. If no one has ever heard of a safe mounted to a car door, that's okay.
Old 05-18-2019, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Let's think about this for a second. A quick access lock box attached to the interior door panel, to store a handgun when you are away from the car at work. How secure is it mounted to a piece of plastic? I've taken more than a few door panels off and there isn't a lot of steel on the inside. I sure wouldn't put my trust in mounted to the door panel.

Also just to clarify, the center console or glove box does not meet the locked container requirement for a hand gun when transporting. The code is silent on location's for storage inside a vehicle other than out of sight, and or attached to the vehicle, as far as I can recall.
Old 05-18-2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:

I know that there are many ways to store a gun in a car. I was looking for information specifically on a gun safe secured to a car door. If no one has ever heard of a safe mounted to a car door, that's okay.
It's only illegal to use the center console as a safe. CCWs don't need to be in safes while they are in your reach and control.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Let's think about this for a second. A quick access lock box attached to the interior door panel, to store a handgun when you are away from the car at work. How secure is it mounted to a piece of plastic? I've taken more than a few door panels off and there isn't a lot of steel on the inside. I sure wouldn't put my trust in mounted to the door panel.

The door panel isnt held on by anything significant. Just plastic press tabs or the like. The handle is secured by decent screws though. Depending on the make/model, maybe a brace could be made to secure a metal lock box. The main bracing is on the other side of the window and window regulator (the part that the glass rides up/down in. That regulator is usually a pretty flimsy piece too.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-19-2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:

What do you drive?

FAS1 SAFE