Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-13-2017, 5:10 PM

Default OCSD CCW Amendment - Adding Firearm

Hi:

A month or so ago I learned OCSD allowed 5 instead of 3 listed firearms on
issuing CCW permits. Saturday at Evans Orange shooting range OC Firearms CCW Instructor Dave Anderson told me as of 11-15-17 OCSD allows unlimited firearms on issued OCSD CCW permits. When my initial OCSD CCW permit was issued back in June 2005 in my wildest dreams I thought 3 firearm limit was set in CONCRETE!

After reading the "mail" in this website I wanted to add another firearm to my permit. I had already range qualified with it thus had a recent training certificate. Following a link (https://ocsd.permitium.com/ccw/start) in this Concealed Carry Discussion group post Saturday (12-9-17) I completed the form adding another firearm plus made firearms info corrections (model-caliber under wrong headings). I prayed I did it right by clicking on many buttons etc. Finally clicking on a button my inputted information was printed out. Hmm - did it go into cyberspace? No email receipt etc and wondered if I accomplished my task.

All for naught an email TODAY from auto@permitium.com - SUBJECT - Your Amendment has been processed - indicated times to pick up permit etc. It didn't mention the cost ($11.00) in my email but know the cost can't be paid in cash ie only money order/check. Also at the present time credit/debit cards can't be used as per the OCSD website.

Tough Guy Levi
Orange
NRA Pistol Instructor/RSO
NRA Life
CRPA Life
PS: Dave Anderson said he received a call asking if 15 firearms can be on his CCW permit? Dave said yes but . . . Decades ago my Nassau County NY permit initially had multiple firearms listed. Later I culled the list down to 5 and was a happy camper!!!

Last edited by Tough Guy Levi; 12-19-2017 at 4:37 PM.. Reason: correct info
Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

So when you add a firearm on to your list, you have to go in and get another permit issued? And do they send you a date and time to pick it up or just give you time frames to come get it?

Thanks for any clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Yodaman; 12-13-2017 at 11:00 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:13 PM

You can go there anytime between 8am and 3pm Monday-Friday. You will get a new permit issued with up to 5 guns on the plastic card. If you have more than 5 guns they also issue you the old DOJ "rice paper" style permit to carry along with the plastic card. Your permit number changes to go with their new system and the new plastic card has a little more information on it. Under the 5th gun on the plastic card, it reads "See official DOJ CCW Paper Permit for full listing of verified weapons."

Last edited by glock21sf; 12-13-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! It helps

Old 12-14-2017, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Glcok21sf! It helps.

Also, one of the last things the system asks for, is for you to list all the weapons you want on your CCW. Do you just list the new firearms you are adding, or do you list your previous ones that are already with the new ones as well?

Last edited by Yodaman; 12-14-2017 at 10:05 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Thanks for the info Glcok21sf! It helps.

Also, one of the last things the system asks for, is for you to list all the weapons you want on your CCW. Do you just list the new firearms you are adding, or do you list your previous ones that are already with the new ones as well?
For weapons modifications (adding guns) just list the weapons you are adding. It will also ask you the purpose of the modification request. There you can type, "adding more handguns to my permit."
Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you again!

Old 12-14-2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Thank you again!

You're welcome.
Old 12-14-2017, 1:06 PM

Default Additional Amendment Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21sf View Post
You can go there anytime between 8am and 3pm Monday-Friday. You will get a new permit issued with up to 5 guns on the plastic card. If you have more than 5 guns they also issue you the old DOJ "rice paper" style permit to carry along with the plastic card. Your permit number changes to go with their new system and the new plastic card has a little more information on it. Under the 5th gun on the plastic card, it reads "See official DOJ CCW Paper Permit for full listing of verified weapons."
OCSD Office - When listing more than 5 handguns you have ONLY a choice of 5 handguns appearing on the "credit card" OCSD CCW permit. On the paper OCSD CCW permit back (OCSD two 8.5x11 paper sheets depicting front - back) numbers 1-? etc will appear under Section B Descriptions of Weapon(s). Restrictions NONE on my previous permit card but on the front of paper permit Restrictions (if any)

IN RED - INVALID IF LICENSEE HAS BEEN CONSUMING ALCOHOL OR DRUGS

IN BLACK - REVERSE SIDE FOR RESTRICTIONS - Signature of Licensee (I had trouble using funky "electronic" pen thus my first/middle/last name initials were OK'd) - new photo & thumb print taken for amended permit

I was told someone already had visited the OCSD CCW department with 14 handguns to be listed on his OCSD CCW permit. Paper non-tissue thin permit is reminiscent of permits issued prior to "credit card" permits. Lamination IMHO is necessary and OCSD approved!!

Tough Guy Levi
Orange
NRA Pistol Inst/RSO
NRA Life
CRPA Life
PS: I don't drink but I would seek additional information relating to RED invalidation on paper permit. Does a glass of wine with dinner (not in a bar) invalidate ones OCSD CCW permit? THE ANSWER FROM THE OCSD CCW DEPARTMENT IS YES -
SECTION 4 OF PERMIT APPLICATION - WHILE EXERCISING THE PRIVILEGES GRANTED TO LICENSEE UNDER THE TERMS OF THE LICENSEE, THE LICENSEE SHALL NOT WHEN CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON CONSUME ANY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE.

Last edited by Tough Guy Levi; 01-03-2018 at 4:09 PM.. Reason: additional info - Section 4 Permit Application
Old 12-14-2017, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good info, thx Levi.
Old 12-14-2017, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

This is very helpful....thank u!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21sf View Post
Under the 5th gun on the plastic card, it reads "See official DOJ CCW Paper Permit for full listing of verified weapons."
That's an interesting note. One would need to read that as meaning the credit card provided by OCSD is not, in fact, the permit, as there is an "...official DOJ CCW Paper Permit."
Old 01-02-2018, 5:05 PM

Default OCSD "Credit Card" CCW permit plus 8.5"x11" paper permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
That's an interesting note. One would need to read that as meaning the credit card provided by OCSD is not, in fact, the permit, as there is an "...official DOJ CCW Paper Permit."
The "credit card" version of the permit includes your photo/OC Seal/ occupation/address plus the following (not on paper permit) - See Official DOJ/CCW Paper Permit for full listing of verified weapons -

I have to assume one needs to carry both if you have more than 5 handguns verified on your OCSD CCW permit. Knowing from prior experience OCSD paper CCW permits deteriorate fast in a wallet thus I've always had mine department approved laminated.

Hopefully the above will be useful info

Tough Guy Levi
Orange
Old 01-13-2018, 8:00 AM

OCSD MELESSA SOTO said you should carry both "cards" relating to "paper card" listing # 6 plus firearms.

Tough Guy Levi
Orange
Old 02-20-2018, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I looked to see if there was a minimum caliber listed. I do have a 22lr 21a Beretta and a 950BS beretta is 25 acp, not that I would actually carry them but does anyone know the policy on calibers?

Also, are you saying I don't have to re-qualify with the new guns I might want to add?

Last edited by bubbapug1; 02-20-2018 at 7:37 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 9:16 AM

Default Calibers on OCSD CCW Permits

To answer your question about calibers - on my OCSD CCW permit I've had on my initial OCSD CCW permit (June 2005) my Baby Browning Lightweight .25 (acphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed8DND88G48). It was purchased in 1967 for $57.50 including 50 rounds of Winchester Silver Tip. I still have Nimrod Gun Store Mineola, LI receipt. Don't laugh but also listed is a NAA Sidewinder .22lr/.22mag (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zhr88F0J40). Since the Sidewinder is not on our "blessed" CA-DOJ roster it took me nearly 5 years via a PPT to obtain it. I also have a NAA MINI but it would have taken me all afternoon to CCW qualify since loading/unloading is arduous.

Tough Guy Levi
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
I looked to see if there was a minimum caliber listed. I do have a 22lr 21a Beretta and a 950BS beretta is 25 acp, not that I would actually carry them but does anyone know the policy on calibers?

Also, are you saying I don't have to re-qualify with new guns I might want to add? I see Greg Blocks gold rings aren't big enough....already
Old 02-20-2018, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

So what about qualifying? Do I need to qualify with all the new guns I might add?
Old 02-20-2018, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Yes you do. And then you submit the certificate for the new additions.