Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Everybody that's loving the idea of propane, take note of that. Thats two bottles a day. Unless your home runs off propane and thus you have a 250-500 gallon tank (or bigger) it not real easy to store a week or two worth of propane. You willing to house 30 BBQ propane bottles at what, $50 each? vs a 55 gallon drum of gasoline at ~$225.
Guess that’s the great part of being tri-fuel........ BBQ propane + lawnmower gas.
Old 12-05-2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
you know i thought there was something screwey last time it ran out all them propane exchange places they only put 15 pounds of propane
That's why you don't exchange.... have them filled for less money and more fuel.

I have 6 tanks- I get them filled until a tank expires, then I exchange it.
Old 12-05-2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
I got my response from Hutch Mountain this morning. A very responsive company, it would seem. I'll just post it below for all to read. If you go to their website and to the page for the kit for the EU2000i, at the bottom there's info on the serial numbers so you can determine if your generator will work with the propane kit.

Here's the response:

Hey, thanks for reaching out. The older gens, have a different inverter board and carburetor in them. It’s the inverter board that controls the electronic servo. When you introduce propane in to it, it does not know how to handle it. Therefore it surges up and down, and runs like crap. You can fix it. However you would need to replace the inverter board and carburetor with the newer 2000 version. The only problem with that is it will cost you like $500.00 to do so. It's not worth it. I would sell your gen and upgrade to the new 2200. I hope that helps. Reach out if you have any more questions thanks. 😊

Scott
Hutch Mountain
435-494-1975
info@hutchmountain.com
They folks at Hutch Mountain are great and Im not even a customer. I called asking some pretty technical questions about the regulator they use and the result was a 20+ minute conversation about the function. I still prefer unleaded but if you want to run propane they know their stuff witch is rare these days
Old 12-08-2019, 10:43 PM

I've got a Smarter Tools generator, Costco special with a Yamaha engine. It's a rough equivalent to the Honda EU2000. I've had it 5-6 years now, no issues, changed the oil, that's about it. It's got me through countless trips to the dessert, powers the AC on our trailer just fine and powered the fridge, a few lights, modem/router etc in every power outage we've had.
Old 12-14-2019, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Two Hondas
One Generac

...back at the compound for me.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

2011 Honda eu2000i. Trufuel since day one.

Never missed a beat. Always started on the 1st or 2nd pull. I've done my own services (cleaned, oil & spark plug)

Powers everything I need.

Zero issues, love it.

P.S.....I firmly believe Trufuel is the reason for the outstanding, problem free years of service I've gotten from the generator.

Expensive? Yep. But I don't care. When I need my generator, it has to work, period!
Old 12-15-2019, 6:07 PM

I own a Dewalt 7000w generator.

They are somewhat noisy but power what I want powered.
Old 12-29-2019, 6:01 AM

Honda 4k and Wen 2k gennies
Old 12-29-2019, 9:37 AM
Banned

Generac 16KW standby, plus a 900w "TailGator"!
Old 12-30-2019, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
I got my response from Hutch Mountain this morning. A very responsive company, it would seem. I'll just post it below for all to read. If you go to their website and to the page for the kit for the EU2000i, at the bottom there's info on the serial numbers so you can determine if your generator will work with the propane kit.

Here's the response:

Hey, thanks for reaching out. The older gens, have a different inverter board and carburetor in them. It’s the inverter board that controls the electronic servo. When you introduce propane in to it, it does not know how to handle it. Therefore it surges up and down, and runs like crap. You can fix it. However you would need to replace the inverter board and carburetor with the newer 2000 version. The only problem with that is it will cost you like $500.00 to do so. It's not worth it. I would sell your gen and upgrade to the new 2200. I hope that helps. Reach out if you have any more questions thanks. 😊

Scott
Hutch Mountain
435-494-1975
info@hutchmountain.com
I have purchased four kits from them so far. Great company.
Old 01-10-2020, 3:37 PM

I bought a Honda EU2200i recently and before I started it up, I installed a magnetic dipstick. I did 4 oil changes on it in about 3 hours and even the last change had a tiny bit of shavings but the first definitely had a lot of small shavings on it. Just an FYI. Also, only used TruFuel so far because it’s readily available but it’s pretty expensive. Saw a bunch of YT videos on how to separate ethanol out of pump gas and it looks really easy. Ethanol gums up carburetors so it’s something to consider. One great thing about TruFuel is it’s long shelf life. Regular gas usually goes bad within a year. I don’t know how long pump gas that’s had ethanol removed will last but I’m assuming a couple of years.