Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-06-2011, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcolin81 View Post
Just a regular Joe. No large sums of money, or expensive merchandise, etc. either. Just Self-Defense with A LOT of elaboration.
Since there seems to be several stories like yours, I'm wondering if you (or others who were approved) would mind posting your GC statement here. If it's too personal to be able to post (even with redactions) would you mind PM'ing it to me?

I've waited to apply at Solano because I thought I'd be getting a job in Sacramento and moving soon (but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon). So, I'm going to apply to Solano Sheriff but I want to make sure my GC statement is as good as I can make it before I do so.
Old 05-06-2011, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticallyStressed View Post
Since there seems to be several stories like yours, I'm wondering if you (or others who were approved) would mind posting your GC statement here. If it's too personal to be able to post (even with redactions) would you mind PM'ing it to me?

I've waited to apply at Solano because I thought I'd be getting a job in Sacramento and moving soon (but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon). So, I'm going to apply to Solano Sheriff but I want to make sure my GC statement is as good as I can make it before I do so.
All of the Good Cause Statements are already posted. They are redacted, but you can still get enough out of them to figure out the theme. Check out the 1st post in this thread to find the statements.

John 14:6
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Can i get the name and number for the gal in charge to call her and have a packet sent. I cannot seem to locate that info in this thread.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Can i get the name and number for the gal in charge to call her and have a packet sent. I cannot seem to locate that info in this thread.

Thanks
You can go to the county website and download the packet from there. http://www.solanocounty.com/depts/sh...ons_permit.asp
Old 05-06-2011, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Like sfpc suggested, this is what I did. Look through all of the GC's to get a ideas, but you should write one that is specific to you. I just stated self defense, and talked about how important I feel the need for self defense is, and elaborate, elaborate, elaborate. It took me like a month to polish it up.

Btw, since I got approved for the next step, does this mean that my GC is good, or do I still have to worry about that?
Old 05-06-2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
All of the Good Cause Statements are already posted. They are redacted, but you can still get enough out of them to figure out the theme. Check out the 1st post in this thread to find the statements.
I've already looked at the statements you're referring to. They were the statements from before a bunch of Calgunners started applying; most were corrections officers.

What I'm interested in knowing is what the GC statements from recently approved Calgunners look like. Most have nothing to go on other than elaborated versions of self defense (which is my situation as well). I'm keenly interested in specifically what they said.

Edit: I checked the good cause statements again at the beginning of this thread; they haven't been updated since the last time I looked. As I stated a few months ago the vast majority of them are Corrections Officers, former MIL or LEO, etc. The few "average joe" ones were so heavily redacted I'm not sure how much they elaborated on their situations. (Several were business/work related but I don't have that to help me).

Again, I'm asking any Calgunner who has recently been accepted in Solano County to PM me their GC statement. Please remove your name or specifics that could identify you but I'd like to see what your elaborated self defense statement looks like. I'm not planning to copy word for word but I sure could use your guy's help in crafting mine.

Thanks.

Last edited by CriticallyStressed; 05-07-2011 at 5:50 AM..
Old 05-07-2011, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've already looked at the statements you're referring to. They were the statements from before a bunch of Calgunners started applying; most were corrections officers.

What I'm interested in knowing is what the GC statements from recently approved Calgunners look like. Most have nothing to go on other than elaborated versions of self defense (which is my situation as well). I'm keenly interested in specifically what they said.

Edit: I checked the good cause statements again at the beginning of this thread; they haven't been updated since the last time I looked. As I stated a few months ago the vast majority of them are Corrections Officers, former MIL or LEO, etc. The few "average joe" ones were so heavily redacted I'm not sure how much they elaborated on their situations. (Several were business/work related but I don't have that to help me).

Again, I'm asking any Calgunner who has recently been accepted in Solano County to PM me their GC statement. Please remove your name or specifics that could identify you but I'd like to see what your elaborated self defense statement looks like. I'm not planning to copy word for word but I sure could use your guy's help in crafting mine.

Thanks.
I agree it would be nice to see what us normal folks are using as GCS and it could help all of us who are interested in obtaining our rightful CCW.

That's why I asked the question above about are most of you normal guys or C-Officers or some retired LEO's because that is all it seems to be in the posted GCS
Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
I agree it would be nice to see what us normal folks are using as GCS and it could help all of us who are interested in obtaining our rightful CCW.

That's why I asked the question above about are most of you normal guys or C-Officers or some retired LEO's because that is all it seems to be in the posted GCS
It would seem that you and I are in exact agreement.
Old 05-09-2011, 2:31 PM

Just got back from Livescan. While I was there I heard someone else come in asking for an application. Wonder if it was a Calgunner.

@ Critically Stressed / 97F1504RAD, I hear you guys. I was in the same position not too long ago. keep in mind I'm not too sure if I'm out of the woods yet. I don't really know if passing the first step means my GC is good, or if it will still come into question later.
Old 05-09-2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Just got back from Livescan.
Me too
Old 05-10-2011, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Just got back from Livescan. While I was there I heard someone else come in asking for an application. Wonder if it was a Calgunner.

@ Critically Stressed / 97F1504RAD, I hear you guys. I was in the same position not too long ago. keep in mind I'm not too sure if I'm out of the woods yet. I don't really know if passing the first step means my GC is good, or if it will still come into question later.
Thanks for your comments (and the PM). I know the Sacramento thread has a lot of details on the process, I'm still a little fuzzy on how Solano works... do you have an interview or just drop off the application? If someone who has been through the entire process could outline it in bullet-point format that would be very helpful.

I'm going to apply but I need to pickup my CCW gun first so I can put its S/N on the application, but I can't pick up the gun until after I get back from Front Sight in a couple of weeks. Too much to do!
Old 05-10-2011, 7:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

They wouldn't waste your time and money for Livescan if they didn't like your GC.
Old 05-10-2011, 7:53 AM

I heard that Paulatte Duclair, the Sheriff's admin secretary, has retired. She played a major role in reviewing / processing the CCW apps, so it may impact or have impacted their turnaround. Just speculating.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks all for your comments, I'm going to proceed with crafting my GC statement. I'd like you all to chime in with your opinions on the following though:

On one section of the app. it asks if you have/had and CCW's issued by another agency. I've had Washington and Idaho permits for the last 10 years, both of which are still valid. Is it a good or bad idea to list those on the application and/or refer to them in my GC statement as evidence that I understand the responsibility and am familiar with carrying a weapon for self defense? (I used to live in those states previously and carried 24/7 for years).
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Just my humble opinion, but I don't think out of state ccw's would hurt. I would imagine it would help. Just answer everything honestly, cuz everything they ask you, they can pretty much find out on their own anyway.

BTW, Once I get the notification to schedule my training I plan on buying a new gun. I asked Debra and she said I can still change the guns on my app before I turn in the targets, so I wouldn't let the lack of a prefered carry gun stop you from turning your app in.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
They wouldn't waste your time and money for Livescan if they didn't like your GC.
Thanks, that's encouraging. I guess I'm just a "not till the fat lady sings" kinda guy.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Just my humble opinion, but I don't think out of state ccw's would hurt. I would imagine it would help. Just answer everything honestly, cuz everything they ask you, they can pretty much find out on their own anyway.

BTW, Once I get the notification to schedule my training I plan on buying a new gun. I asked Debra and she said I can still change the guns on my app before I turn in the targets, so I wouldn't let the lack of a prefered carry gun stop you from turning your app in.
Thanks for your reply.
I figured it couldn't hurt but I wanted to hear what you guys thought.

I'm going to try and start the DROS on a Glock 30 today (I should be able to get the S/N when I do the paperwork, regardless of when I pick it up). I've also got to supply a utility bill according to the process listed on the Solano Sheriff's website (have to get that tonight). So at the earliest, I can submit my app tomorrow via certified mail (the documentation Brandon asked us to have so that we can "prove" it was submitted).

I welcome further comments and advice.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that's encouraging. I guess I'm just a "not till the fat lady sings" kinda guy.
I'm the same way (really trying not to get my hopes up before I even apply).
Old 05-11-2011, 5:18 PM

Well I pulled the trigger today and sent my application in (via Guaranteed Delivery USPS with tracking and delivery receipt, just in case).

I appreciate those of you who gave me positive feedback on my GC statement. I hope to hear back from the new gal Debbie soon about proceeding to the next step.
Old 05-11-2011, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Well I pulled the trigger today and sent my application in (via Guaranteed Delivery USPS with tracking and delivery receipt, just in case).

I appreciate those of you who gave me positive feedback on my GC statement. I hope to hear back from the new gal Debbie soon about proceeding to the next step.
Cool beans! I wouldn't call Debbie "new"... Through my entire process (4 months) I dealt with Debbie the whole time... I haven't talked to Paulette at all... Debbie is a very nice lady.
Old 05-12-2011, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runin Ronin View Post
Cool beans! I wouldn't call Debbie "new"... Through my entire process (4 months) I dealt with Debbie the whole time... I haven't talked to Paulette at all... Debbie is a very nice lady.
Thanks Ronin, I'm glad to hear she's not an unknown factor then. I hope to get a call from her sometime in the next 30 days or so .
Old 05-12-2011, 8:55 AM

Quote:

Good Luck! Sorry I didn't have a change to give my feedback before you sent it. It looks good though.
Old 05-18-2011, 8:06 AM

FYI, another friend of mine picked his rice-paper up yesterday.
Old 05-18-2011, 8:59 AM

Sheriff's Office left me the voicemail yesterday.... I just need to make an appointment to pick up my CCW.
Old 05-18-2011, 9:05 AM

May need to change the color on the map :-)
Old 05-18-2011, 9:51 AM

Got it today! Enjoy the pic, nachos money went to CGF as voluntary contribution.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Congrats Ronin and JimSar. I hope to be joining the club sometime soon.

I don't mean to sound ignorant or out of the loop, but what is this thing about nachos???
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

For those that were wondering: the interview is optional.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Congrats Ronin and JimSar. I hope to be joining the club sometime soon.

I don't mean to sound ignorant or out of the loop, but what is this thing about nachos???
Thanks for the congrats, but CGF really deserves the kudos.

I'll let Purple K, Runin Ronin or someone else elaborate on the nacho thing. I've got CRS, can't remember s... Runin Ronin jogged my memory, it had to do with WalMart nachos.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Here's my understanding... The Walmart nachos "ritual" started on another forum. Upon receiving your CCW, you head on over to Walmart, walk around and purchase nachos to eat. Why nachos? not really certain but, the reason Walmart is chosen is because there is usually a Walmart near you and Walmart is always full of people.

I believe the reasoning is to relieve a new CCW holders fear or concern of "printing" in public. You walk around a well populated Walmart and you realize "no one is paying any attention to you", you are walking around eating your nachos with a loaded firearm on your hip and... no one can care less about you.

That's how I interpret the Walmart Nachos "ritual".

I will be at my local Walmart tonight... I'll be the one walking around... shopping
Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Congratulations guys!

I hope to be celebrating in a few months time, I got confirmation (via USPS) that my application packet was delivered last week. Now the waiting begins.
Old 05-19-2011, 7:54 AM

Congrats Jimsar and Ronin.

You're pretty much right on about the "Nacho Run". The whole point is to get over the idea that everyone will know you are carrying.
Old 05-19-2011, 1:47 PM

Congrats Jim and Ronin..... man i dont know what to say, i submitted my targets on 4/7.... still no call, getting anxious! 5 months total at the end of this month.
Old 05-19-2011, 4:58 PM

kennmark, did you check all the phone numbers you listed on your application? SO left a message on my home voicemail (which I never check) and also left one on my office (which I got the following day). No calls to my cell where I was expecting the call since that's the number they always called me on to proceed with the next steps.
Old 05-19-2011, 7:00 PM

i only have one number on my app... oh well i hope tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2011, 7:00 AM

well im not leo or a business owner....guess i dont qualify for a ccw in solano county...
Old 05-20-2011, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERGUSON View Post
well im not leo or a business owner....guess i dont qualify for a ccw in solano county...
Incorrect. I am not an LEO nor do I own my own business. Just a normal Joe with a Good Cause that the Sheriff agreed with.
Old 05-20-2011, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Three of the CCWs that I know of are to regular people. Not LEOs or business owners.
Old 05-20-2011, 9:51 AM

I'm an average Joe with an average job too. Although let's not count my chickens yet. I've only made it to livescan so far.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Same for me. I don't own a business or am LEO. I just explained why I felt the need for self defense in detail. This county is actually pretty fair as far as "shall issue", from what I've seen anyway.