Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-12-2013, 7:45 PM

Default Losing College Credits if I Enlist?

My searchfu is off today so please cut me some slack.

If I enlist before I graduate college, can I keep my college credits or do I lose them upon return and must start over towards the degree? Is there some law that requires universities to allow service members to keep the credits they obtained before enlistment?
Old 03-12-2013, 7:56 PM

I think you have 10 years, not sure. Did you take any AP classes in High School? Check this out. I scored a 5 on my AP Spanish test, highest possible score, and that got me a bump in Rank. Graduated USMC Bootcamp PFC, instead of a Private. This was back in '97, so not sure if anything has changed. Contact a recruiter, they'll be watering at the mouth to talk to you as their quota requirement nears. At least that's how it was before National Defense Budget Cuts.
Old 03-12-2013, 7:58 PM

college credit ic college credit. No one can take that away from you. The rub you will run into is another college honoring those credits. this varies from school to school - where you came from and where you want to finish your degree, and school acreditation plays a big role in this. Its not as much of an issue in undergraduate courses though - most will work with you, and if you're going back to the same school, you shouldn't have any issues. Some possible exceptions would be schools insisting you retake courses you got a C or lower in, or if they are technical or business courses, theey may not credit them if they have become outdated. more than 5 years old for computer science or similar courses are not always thought of as applicable.

other than that, you should be pretty good.

the laws you are refering to are if you are already in the military and deploy or come down on orders - the school has to bring you back at the same point you were at before. If you leave school to enlist, then you're not protected. You'll probably have to reapply too, but honestly this is really just a formality, not a big hurdle, and I havn't heard of a school not honoring credits that they gave a few years ago.

Watch out for state residency though - if you change residency to your duty assignment, you may not be eligible for in state tuition when you return to school.
Old 03-13-2013, 4:48 AM

You don't loose them. You'll actually gain some just based on the service schools you attend. Search the service members opportunity college program and read up on it. As long as you are going to a properly accredited school(most community colleges even are) you will transfer most if not all of your credits. Some colleges may make you do degree specifics over but for the most part it's very simple to do the transfer. There is also base education centers with school reps and counselor a that are very well versed in helping us out. Hope it helps.
Old 03-13-2013, 7:30 AM

Depends on the school. At my junior college math and english prerequisite courses for transferring to a university lost their "prerequisite" value seven years after taking them. Someone at the school should be able to give you a correct answer.