Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Here's the deal OP, Yes .. you are absolutely correct about sticker shock when looking at new ammo in the store. Most guys who shoot even .223 and 9mm
either reload, or buy surplus in bulk from places on the net, or buy it from
vendors at guns shows etc. Think of buying a case of wolf ammo or yugo
or milsurp combloc etc. It is possible to shoot even today larger bore rifles
without breaking the bank. You bought a rifle (M1-A) that is a bit pricy to feed now, by historical standards, with the ammo rush on and all that.
Look on the bright side though... you cant take it with you, so spend it on some ammo and enjoy yourself.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
My biggest problem is I'm busted up and old so I drive an old man's Cadillac that I still have to shift because I like having fun. a Cadillac CTS-V
If I had the money this is what I would buy, congrats
Old 10-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

My caliber footprint. I've owned weapons in the following cartridges:

25 ACP
256 Win Mag
380 ACP
9mm
38Spl
357 Mag
357 Max
10mm
41 Mag
45 ACP
45 Colt
44 Mag
50 AE
22-250
250 Savage
7mm-08
308 Win
300 Win
8mm Mauser
8mm Mag
338-06
376 Steyr
375 H&H
45/70

Currently own 223, 9mm, 10mm, and 20ga. Have no real desire to have anything else. Might play with .300 Whisper and 50 BMG for a bit.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM

I like all calibers especially rare ones I will always will love my 8x56r M95. for modern just like to mix it up with different guns and calibers. .223 and 9M like some other posters said would get boring really fast. I actually dislike 9mm because is says Europe too much to me and .223/5.56 says AR/tacticool mallninja(I like them, but not crazy for them, just K.I.S.S). give me .308 and a boltgun and I will be happy at long range. and for the cheap/plinking I break out this:

Last edited by Mr.Pickles; 10-17-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

to the OP: maybe the problem is you are buying from the wrong source. I remember buying 30-06 surplus ammo for like .30 or .40 cents a round. Heck i got 440 rounds of 7.62x54r 2 years ago for like 70 dollars.

http://ammoman.com/ try this site
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
Not to be rude, but .223 and 9mm are for noobs.
I like how you then call other people trolls...

Funny how the professional operators out there use these 2 calibers for many applications eh?
Old 10-17-2009, 1:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
It is hard to understand why anyone would buy anything larger than 223 or 9mm.

I bought my first gun ever as soon as Obama was elected. I bought a beautiful M1A Load From Springfield. Marched down to WalMart and got sticker shock! $0.80 dollars a shot and the good stuff is $1.50. So I bought a Remington Milspec 5R 700. Still 308 but bolt. I figured that would save money. Both eventually went way (unfired). 223 for me! I bought a thousand rounds at the worst time for $465 (newb). Thinking more I added a .22 CZ 452 to mix. Wow, Finally something I can shoot till drop without worring about $$$.

I have a good Engineering job and all but when I go ammo shopping I am amazing at all the rounds that are 80 cents, $1.00, $1.25, and higher. I can not even imagine buying a Big Bore rifle, who can feed it!? I never thought of shooting as being a RICH MANS SPORT, but rather just a blue collar past time. I heard it was not always this way.

Let me hear stories back in the day about the cost of 30-06 when surplus as available. About shooting when cost was not a concern and when I could have afforded my 2nd amendment right.
Better get your crying towel out before reading any farther.

Back in the 1970's- 1980's the average price for surplus 7.62 NATO M80 type ball in quantity was less than $140.00 a thousand. I went in with two friends of mine in the mid-80's and bought Israeli surplus black-tip 7.62 NATO for $99.00 a thousand FOB.

When the first 7.62 x 39 Chinese stuff was available in quantity in the early 80's it was $100.00 a thousand, you could get 1400 round cases out of SGN for 120.00ish if you bought ten or more cases.

We used to get 30-06 black tip in M1 Garand clips for 165.00 a thousand.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 10-17-2009, 1:29 PM

I think the OP should look into a pellet gun. You could shoot all day for a few bucks. When you start shooting some of the bigger bore handguns and rifles you will get what all of the hype is about with owning one. It will be well worth it if you really are into shooting plus they are not the daily shooters in ones arsenal.
Old 10-17-2009, 1:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Bill, I like you. Please stop dating yourself for crying out loud!!!!
Hell it wasn't that long ago (late 90's) I bought 8 cases(1320rd) of surplus russian military ammo for 1K. Hell even Walmart had Rem green box jhp 9mm for 13.44 per 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Strong View Post
Better get your crying towel out before reading any farther.

Back in the 1970's- 1980's the average price for surplus 7.62 NATO M80 type ball in quantity was less than $140.00 a thousand. I went in with two friends of mine in the mid-80's and bought Israeli surplus black-tip 7.62 NATO for $99.00 a thousand FOB.

When the first 7.62 x 39 Chinese stuff was available in quantity in the early 80's it was $100.00 a thousand, you could get 1400 round cases out of SGN for 120.00ish if you bought ten or more cases.

We used to get 30-06 black tip in M1 Garand clips for 165.00 a thousand.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 10-17-2009, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
You arre right! The military is comprised mainly of newbies! BTW, no one if all you have is an AR or two in .223, I'd probably classify you as a noob. Many AR owners own other guns an/or other caliber ARs as well. Don't be so narrow minded

Hell, if you can't hit a gong at 400 with a .223, you need to practice more. BTW, out to 400, I prefer to shoot with irons, does your FAL have optics? If not, that's better shooting than many here can ever hope to do. I love plinking the 300 & 400 yard gongs at Angeles with cheap surplus rifles like Mausers and my K31. If the lighting is right, I've been taking them out to 600 lately.
are you serious?
Old 10-17-2009, 2:11 PM

Try $37 for a box of 20 rounds for Federal GMM .308.
Old 10-17-2009, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Didn't read all the posts, but from the title...

.223 and 9mm are not the answer to all situations. They do have limitations. Reasons to buy larger caliber guns is obvious to most people who understand these limitations.

With that said, I'd hate to be limited to a .223 and 9mm if I was wandering the AK wilderness.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 10-17-2009, 3:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic4444 View Post
are you serious?
Am I serious about what?

Most people in the military learn to shoot after they enter the military. That makes them newbies right?

Also, if you can't hit a 12" gong at 400 yards with iron sites on a standard AR, you need a lot more practice and a better coach.

so, yea, I guess I'm serious. Do you need a coach?
Old 10-17-2009, 3:36 PM

OT, but one guy mentioned the price of concerts and other things.

i used to go to big time bands shows only a few years back as a kid, and be able to get pit tickets or rad seats for less than 50 a ticket.

now its 200 bucks a pit ticket since ticket master is a scam and wont sell the good seats.

so everything is a rip off nowadays, not just ammo.

oh and cyrus the OP, your a cheap skate. you have a good job and bought high dollar guns. sack up and buy ammo for them. and quit your *****en.

Last edited by hnoppenberger; 10-17-2009 at 3:39 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 3:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

So would it make you guys mad if I told you I bought 5000 rounds of .223 (some wolf but mostly brass) last december for $120/1000 and brass cased .45acp for $100/1000? I have the best friends in the world, that is all I can say. If I could get more of it, I would have and sold the rest to you guys at a good price. I am actually working on getting Chinese ammunition back into the states with a board of lawyers. Everyone says it can't be done but somebody has to try. The people we have been talking to in China claim they produce a lot of ammunition for Remington. I have no idea and really don't care as long as I can get a batch to test fire and function myself before selling. It is a long road ahead but if it could be done, it could be just like the good ol days. I remember not even thinking about ammo prices while shooting.

www.mtnarmory.com

Battlecomp 1.0 only $145!

10/30 pmag $17 and 10/20 pmag $18

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/skater4evr15/Footer.jpg
Old 10-17-2009, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Am I serious about what?

Most people in the military learn to shoot after they enter the military. That makes them newbies right?

Also, if you can't hit a 12" gong at 400 yards with iron sites on a standard AR, you need a lot more practice and a better coach.

so, yea, I guess I'm serious. Do you need a coach?
Dude, you need to chill out.

The OP started his thread talking about how anyone can afford to shoot anything other than .223 or 9mm. OK. His social, economic and family situation may dictate his expendeable expenses and the feasibility of reloading ammo. Then the posts started getting ugly, to your condesending post about shooting gongs at 400 yards with iron sights!!!

Really, good for you, who cares??!!!

Are you contributing to the OP's message spirit? It may not have been very eloquent nor expressed his original intent accurately. But throughout the 6 pages of this thread, he has not said one thing that's provoking or demeaning. Instead, I read a lot of other people on their soap box calling him out, and bragging about their shooting/reloading prowness. I, for one, don't really care if you shoot the fly's wings off at 10000 yards, but I do care that we treat one another with respect and dignity.
Old 10-18-2009, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhabelly View Post
Dude, you need to chill out.

The OP started his thread talking about how anyone can afford to shoot anything other than .223 or 9mm. OK. His social, economic and family situation may dictate his expendeable expenses and the feasibility of reloading ammo. Then the posts started getting ugly, to your condesending post about shooting gongs at 400 yards with iron sights!!!

Really, good for you, who cares??!!!

Are you contributing to the OP's message spirit? It may not have been very eloquent nor expressed his original intent accurately. But throughout the 6 pages of this thread, he has not said one thing that's provoking or demeaning. Instead, I read a lot of other people on their soap box calling him out, and bragging about their shooting/reloading prowness. I, for one, don't really care if you shoot the fly's wings off at 10000 yards, but I do care that we treat one another with respect and dignity.

Dude,

First off, I only have a page and a half on this topic. I find it easier to read these threads if I set them to 40 posts per page. You might want to do the same. It sure makes it easier.

Next, I believe I've contributed to this thread in several ways. I've explained the costs of shooting bigger guns. I've touched on the benefits of reloading to cut ammo costs down (You will also get better ammo if you reload). I've agreed with epic4444 when he sarcasticly stated that the military was full of noobs. 'Cause, it really is. Most people entering the military have little or no experience with firearms. I've disagreed with those who have stated that you need something bigger than .223 for shooting out to 400 yards. You don't. You just need to know how to shoot. I was even the first one to suggest that the OP looks at buying a .22lr, or two, if ammo prices are his main concern.

So dude, except for telling me to chill out (BTW, I'm a pretty mellow guy. I know it can be hard to read tone into posts on the internet though), how have you contributed to this thread?
Old 10-18-2009, 8:40 AM

Quote:

I bought my first gun ever as soon as Obama was elected. I bought a beautiful M1A Load From Springfield. Marched down to WalMart and got sticker shock! $0.80 dollars a shot and the good stuff is $1.50. So I bought a Remington Milspec 5R 700. Still 308 but bolt. I figured that would save money. Both eventually went way (unfired). 223 for me! I bought a thousand rounds at the worst time for $465 (newb). Thinking more I added a .22 CZ 452 to mix. Wow, Finally something I can shoot till drop without worring about $$$.

I have a good Engineering job and all but when I go ammo shopping I am amazing at all the rounds that are 80 cents, $1.00, $1.25, and higher. I can not even imagine buying a Big Bore rifle, who can feed it!? I never thought of shooting as being a RICH MANS SPORT, but rather just a blue collar past time. I heard it was not always this way.

Let me hear stories back in the day about the cost of 30-06 when surplus as available. About shooting when cost was not a concern and when I could have afforded my 2nd amendment right.
ammo is not expensive it's your money that's worthless
Old 10-18-2009, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburnt View Post
Thanks. Now I finally have a sig line!
Old 10-18-2009, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

that was pretty funny.
Old 10-18-2009, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
T That would be because you know that it isn't the end-all, be-all cartridge for everything. :
Sure there is. its a .308. Not too big not too small a cartrige. it will pretty much cover any scenario out there. Except maybe taking down a T rex. And even then just keep shooting. As for the 9mm or .223 yeah they are limited somewhat in usage but those calibers were never designed as anything but use for war between humans ammo. You guys say a 9mm is weak bla bla bla. Go get shot by a 9mm center mass and let us know how it feels. Same for a .223. Sure a 9mm or a .223 wont stop a bear but they weren't designed to. Now they were designed to stop a human. BIG difference between a 800 pound bear and a 180 pound human

Quote:
What he was saying was that, as an admitted noob, the rest of us were wasting out time and money going with anything other than his annointed flavors. :
I don't feel like he was saying that at all. I think you're just taking it that way. he was simply asking a question. I agree with the OP somewhat. I always wonder to myself how some people have a ton of guns all different calibers and how they can afford to shoot them all. its funny that lots of the guns on the for sale forum are very low round count? I think a lot of people cant afford to shoot all their guns so theire either selling them or not shooting them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburnt View Post
LOL thats one of the funniest likes in a long time.

Last edited by Rob454; 10-18-2009 at 9:29 AM..
Old 10-18-2009, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

op starts an interesting topic that friends and I have discussed. Rhetorical or not. Op, it might not be your situation but im sure it rings the bells on a lot of the new gun owners that began the trek last year.

There was a lot of rush buying during the Obama scare. People that thought they might have to have a gun. Now finding out they have to feed it.

There is a big difference between necessity buyers and true hobbyists as far as the gun lifstyle is concerned. Most of us started when we were young and are accustom to prices and calibers that suite us.

You have to admit the M1a is a hell of a gun to start with.

vinz

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
In before the penis measurements
ROFL
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Rob454, your avatar is relevant to my interests
Old 10-18-2009, 1:00 PM

Ammoman has .308 wolf 150g for $239 for 500rds.
That is $0.48 a round shipped to your front door.
Yeah there are better deals on .223 than .308 in general but to say you can't shoot a larger caliber for a similar cost is not correct.

Take CSACANNONEERs advice and buy calibers based on your needs. If you are simply looking for cheap shooting. Check out a Airsoft pistol at wallyworld. You can shoot pistol in your garage all night until you drop.

For 15 things YOU CAN DO to improve our 2nd A RKBA so we can: pass "Shall Issue" Right-to-Carry; repeal the CA AWB; and pass a CA con. RKBA amendment, go to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...416#post842416

CA-NRA: http://www.calnra.com/
Old 10-18-2009, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just wanted to add my 2¢ to the reloading pile...

I own a single stage press and some dies. I can reload 30-06 and .308 for around 24¢ per shot. Buy a box of 1k FMJ .308 caliber bullets for $180, your powder, primers, and brass (which last for 5 reloads or more of you shoot mild) and you're good.

Last edited by Army GI; 10-18-2009 at 1:34 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
I don't feel like he was saying that at all. I think you're just taking it that way. he was simply asking a question. I agree with the OP somewhat. I always wonder to myself how some people have a ton of guns all different calibers and how they can afford to shoot them all. its funny that lots of the guns on the for sale forum are very low round count? I think a lot of people cant afford to shoot all their guns so theire either selling them or not shooting them.
True! I own several different rifles: 1898 Krag, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 1903 Springy, AR15, Winchester 94, and a M91/30 Mosin. I definitely fall into the category of "owning lots of different calibers, but can't afford to shoot all of them". I might shoot, at most, 100 rounds per year from each of the lesser used calibers like .30 M1 Carbine or .30-30. I only shoot the AR15 with any level of frequency. All my other rifles are for show-and-tell.

Last edited by Army GI; 10-18-2009 at 1:40 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

you are still a newbie that's why you can't understand. give it sometime. every caliber has it's purpose. read gunwiki.
Old 10-18-2009, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Ammoman has .308 wolf 150g for $239 for 500rds.
That is $0.48 a round shipped to your front door.
+1 that. I don't understand why someone would buy most or all of their ammo from a gun store.
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 10-18-2009, 1:54 PM

Ive shot dozens of calibers but my favorite is still the .22lr.
Of course I still use the others for hunting, paper punching, etc but the .22lr is just the most fun to me.
There are definitely needs for the larger calibers depending on the objective, be it hunting, long range paper punching, etc.

Note I did not read any of the above posts and I am certain what I said has already been posted. Im just confirming.

Last edited by mds2004; 10-18-2009 at 1:57 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontClaire View Post
... every caliber has it's purpose.
+1

If you have no purpose, then the cheapest .22lr is all you need.

I paid $.03/rd of .22lr. I can't believe why others paid $.07 or more on .22lr.
Old 10-18-2009, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would and do own a 9mm, and I plan on owning something in or around the .223 class. However, I would by no means limit myself to only those two rounds.

My main rounds for carrying in a handgun or rifle if I was in the wild would be either a 10mm (autoloader) or .44Mag (revolver) and then a .308 for a rifle (semi-auto) or a .300WSM/WM (bolt).

If I was to choose only two guns it would be a Glock 20 and a M14. The nice thing is I don't have to choose, so that means I can own and shoot cheaper stuff like 9mm and .22lr..
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 10-18-2009, 5:19 PM

I remember buying the little cardboard boxes of .22 [what, 50 rounds?] for between $0.24 & $0.37 all the time, even 5 for $1.00, depending on quality & type, so that probably indicates bulk prices also, way back when.

I somewhat agree with your philosophical point and for me .22, 9mm and 20 ga fills a lot of needs, and I can defend myself & eat for life off of those anywhere in the world.

What's killing me is the price of everything on the planet is beyond sanity & it's usually junk in general. Of course that's including all the foreign stuff that was supposed to be such a potential money saver bargain for America, un-huh, right. 'They' never passed on the savings.

Last edited by Spirit 1; 10-18-2009 at 5:21 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
My caliber footprint. I've owned weapons in the following cartridges:

25 ACP
256 Win Mag
380 ACP
9mm
38Spl
357 Mag
357 Max
10mm
41 Mag
45 ACP
45 Colt
44 Mag
50 AE
22-250
250 Savage
7mm-08
308 Win
300 Win
8mm Mauser
8mm Mag
338-06
376 Steyr
375 H&H
45/70

Currently own 223, 9mm, 10mm, and 20ga. Have no real desire to have anything else. Might play with .300 Whisper and 50 BMG for a bit.
Nice!

I own

25 ACP
30-30 win
22lr
270 win
223 rem
762x54r
762x39
17hmr