Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 1:01 PM
Head Janitor

Default HELP US KEEP THE CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER OPEN!

HELP US KEEP THE CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER OPEN!

Cordova Shooting Center (CSC) is a 73 acre public shooting range, gun store, and training facility in Rancho Cordova California. CSC has been operated by the same family since 1979. The range is conveniently located in the Sacramento area and serves over 30,000 customers every year from Sacramento, Placer and El Dorado Counties.

CSC operates on property owned by the Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD). Recently, the CRPD Administrator recommended to the CRPD Board of Directors that they vote to not renew the range’s lease, and to CLOSE THE RANGE DOWN.

Closing the Cordova Shooting Center would be a huge loss to the surrounding community!

Some local residents voiced their support for keeping the range open at the last CRPD public board meeting. As a result, the CRPD Board of Directors decided to postpone their vote. The CRPD Board of Directors will revisit the issue at a special public meeting that will be held on:

June 12th and 6:30PM at the American Room of the Rancho Cordova City Hall, located at 2729 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670.

NRA / CRPA lawyers and activists have been helping the range, but now CSC needs YOUR help to convince the CRPD Directors to keep the CSC range open! Please contact the Directors below, and attend the meeting to voice support for the range!

The CRPD Administrator claims that renovating the CSC facility would cost $2 million dollars, and that it would take over ten years of operations for the CRPD to get a return on that investment. They also claim to not have a funding source for the repairs. But CSC pays $183,000 per year to the CRPD to operate the facility! More than 30,000 shooters use the range every year. What’s really going on?
Here is a recent news story on the range: http://www.kcra.com/article/gun-rang...-lease/9870794.

Please help keep the Cordova Shooting Center open by contacting the CRPD Directors and asking them to keep the range open, and by attending the meeting in June if you can. Your opinion matters!

Cordova Recreation and Park District

916-842-3300

customerservice@crpd.com

Rancho Cordova City Hall
2729 Prospect Park Drive, Suite 230
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

Patrick Larkin, CRPD District Administrator
plarkin@crpd.com
916-842-3300

Contact the CRPD Board of Directors:

Terri Leimbach, Chairperson
tleimbach@crpd.com

Inez Reyes, Vice-Chairperson
ireyes@crpd.com

Michael Yearwood, Secretary
myearwood@crpd.com

Rick Sloan
rsloan@crpd.com

Brian Danzl
bdanzl@crpd.com

The NRA / CRPA Range Protection and Development Program assists ranges facing environmental, noise, safety, and other issues and advises ranges on best management practices.

If your range needs assistance, for proactive information that could help your range avoid problems in the future, and to help us by turning your range into a gun rights activist center, contact CRPA at contact@CRPA.org.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

Last edited by Kestryll; 06-05-2017 at 7:29 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 1:04 PM

NOTE TO COMMENTERS: I LIVE LESS THAN FIVE MILES FROM CSC AND HAVE SHOT THERE. UNPOPULAR OPINIONS FOLLOW, DON'T GO BERSERK MILITANT YET.

As said above, the meeting was June 12, which is past. The issue is not decided as of today, June 23. THE NEXT MEETING IS JULY 19, FOR A FINAL DECISION

To address Kestryll's questions: Whats really going on is that the City of Rancho Cordova suburbs are growing up around CSC, there are subdivisions and schools in the immediate area. I believe CSC used to be the gun range for Mather Air Force Base, when the Air Force had it, so was off-limits to civilians and out in the boonies at the time, thirty years ago. But not now.

On principle, I'd like to see it kept open. I've shot there myself. Once and never again. (If you want to know why, PM me.) But if 30,000 shooters are out there a year at $17 a pop, that's over a half million a year. Even with the rent of $183K, rock bottom overhead, minimum wage labor and possible liability insurance, that's a LOT of profit.

Possibly it should be kept open, but the owners SHOULD be made to maintain it both for conditions and safety. It's pretty crappy out there, but could be improved with investment. Maybe the City of Rancho Cordova should make them a loan to do the work. As Kestryll said above, maybe the NRA/CRPA offer assistance or CSC could apply for an NRA Grant, as the Sac Valley Shooting Center in Ione has done. I don't imagine any bank would make them a loan if their lease is in jeopardy.

And don't lets get all militant, the City of Rancho Cordova isn't necessarily anti-shooter. The City of RC approved a brand new indoor range, within five miles of CSC, within the last two years. It was a bit of a struggle, but it got done. And the new range is right next to a school and in the middle of subdivisions. But it's clean, relatively quiet and super-safe.

Personally, I'd be looking hard at what the owners of the new for-profit Sacramento Shooting Center are doing to lobby for closing down CSC. Anyone who knows the owners (not the staff) knows that they may support shooting, but they're really in it for profit and lots of it. If I were them, I'd be trying to shut down my nearest competitor too.

So by all means, if you live in or near the City of Rancho Cordova, go to the City Parks and Rec meetings. Be an American and make your voice heard. Lobby the members, hand out leaflets, do it all. But don't wear camo to the meetings or get hysterical when it's your turn to speak. It just makes us all look like wild-eyed gun nuts. Which doesn't play well with politicians...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 06-23-2017 at 1:18 PM..