Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-17-2017, 3:13 PM

Default Kimber K6s revolver, Thoughts?

Hey guys, working at a gun shop has made me look at what I want to pick up next, and have been looking at a couple options. I've really been looking at getting a Kimber K6s with night sights since I won't have to pay MSRP for it and wanted to get some input from K6s owners/people that have shot it. I know that it has a really nice trigger, I like the ergonomics, and weight to it, and the night sights are really nice. What I'd like to find out is how well does it work for a CCW piece (looking to move to AZ in the future, and am looking for a couple CCW options), How the recoil is with .357 ammo, since it does only have a 2" barrel (though I'm sure the weight will help some) overall input on how you like it, and last, if it's worth picking up in your opinion.
1942 "B" Barrel M/91
1943 Izhevsk 91/30 PU Sniper
1957 Tula SKS
Hungarian Border Force AK-55 Reweld
1968 "Late-date" Finnish M39
Old 12-17-2017, 3:22 PM

I am in the same shoes as you and we just had thread about Kimber revolver. So far nothing, but positive for Kimber revolver. I am planning to get one in next year March or so.
Old 12-17-2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell909 View Post
I am in the same shoes as you and we just had thread about Kimber revolver. So far nothing, but positive for Kimber revolver. I am planning to get one in next year March or so.
I've heard a lot of good things, I just haven't really run into too many people that own one that I can get their thoughts on, and I figure I'll get one in the near future since I won't have to pay full price for one. I'm curious to see how recoil is with a 2" in .357, or if it'd be better to carry some hot .38+p ammo for CCW instead of .357
1942 "B" Barrel M/91
1957 Tula SKS
Old 12-17-2017, 3:41 PM

I have not seen that many members selling their Kimber revolver at the market place that much. It be nice to pick up an used one for good price down the road.
Old 12-17-2017, 3:51 PM

NO NO NO NO NO

Kimber treated me so poorly I swore off their products in 2005. NEVER AGAIN
Old 12-17-2017, 4:12 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I didn't shoot it or pull the trigger, but I recently handled one in a local shop and was not very impressed. Machine work was poor, with lots of rough edges. It looks good from 10 feet, but once in my hand I was very unimpressed. Aesthetic only, but...enough I didn't buy it!
Old 12-17-2017, 5:11 PM

Except for dry firing one, I have no experience with the K6. I agree though, it has a great trigger. Better than my S&W K frames with Apex duty kits installed.

One of my CCW revolvers is a S&W 640 Pro. It's similar to the K6 dimensionally and is chambered in .357 mag., so I can comment on the .357 vs. 38 Spec +P subject of carrying a revolver in general.

The Pro and K6 weigh within an ounce of each other empty. .357's are stout, but controllable in my Pro, so I would expect similar results in the K6. I switch between 125 gn SJHP Rem .357s and 125 gn .38 Spec. +P Golden Sabers. I haven't had an opportunity to chrono them to figure out the velocity difference.

My preferred method to carry the 640 is IWB appendix. It doesn't really fit well in the front pocket of jeans and its a bit too heavy for pocket carry - it tends to pull my pants down.

My first impression of the K6 was a good one. My sole concern was the length of the stock grips (they are short) and limited aftermarket replacements. My 640 wears Crimson Trace LG350 grips which provide good recoil protection as well as a laser sight (which I mostly use for dry fire training). I haven't been able to find an extended grip, like the LG350, for the K6. Good luck.

Last edited by AFTII; 12-18-2017 at 7:20 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTII View Post
Except for dry firing one, I have no experience with the K6. I agree though, it has a great trigger. Better than my S&W K frames with Apex duty kits installed.

One of my CCW revolvers is a S&W 640 Pro. It's similar to the K6 dimensionally and is chambered in .357 mag., so I can comment on the .357 vs. 38 Spec +P subject of carrying a revolver in general.

The Pro and K6 weigh within an ounce of each others empty. .357's are stout, but controllable in my Pro, so I would expect similar results in the K6. I switch between 125 gn SJHP Rem .357s and 125 gn .38 Spec. +P Golden Sabers. I haven't had an opportunity to chrono them to figure out the velocity difference.

My preferred method to carry the 640 is IWB appendix. It doesn't really fit well in the front pocket of jeans and its a bit too heavy for pocket carry - it tends to pull my pants down.

My first impression of the K6 was a good one. My sole concern was the length of the stock grips (their are short) and limited aftermarket replacements. My 640 wears Crimson Trace LG350 grips which provide good recoil protection as well as a laser sight (which I mostly use for dry fire training). I haven't been able to find an extended grip, like the LG350, for the K6. Good luck.
Appreciate the input!
1942 "B" Barrel M/91
1957 Tula SKS
Old 12-17-2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I didn't shoot it or pull the trigger, but I recently handled one in a local shop and was not very impressed. Machine work was poor, with lots of rough edges. It looks good from 10 feet, but once in my hand I was very unimpressed. Aesthetic only, but...enough I didn't buy it!

I just bought one, it gets released from jail this week. I’m not sure if you saw a bad one but my brushed stainless looks flawless. Trigger feels sweet like a S&W PC to me. Weight is perfect. I can post a range report when I get a chance to fire it
Old 12-17-2017, 9:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was never a fan of their 1911s but the K6s is a great revolver. I love mine!
Old 12-18-2017, 5:38 AM

Despite their sins, it seems that Ruger is making the best revolvers today.
Old 12-18-2017, 7:30 AM

Kimber makes a bad product with spotty QC.

Ruger for new. Vintage (pre lock) S&Ws are very affordable, some colts are too.

Short barrel 357 will be snappy and not that fun too shoot. Very potent though.

-Clint Smith
Old 12-18-2017, 9:17 AM

My Thoughts on the K6S.
I'm also considering getting one someday.

I discount folks' negative thoughts on the Kimber company and their prior experiences with that company. This is a new product and it's a revolver, not a 1911, which may have very little relation to how Kimber's 1911s perform.

My personal issues as to why I'm hesitating and haven't yet bought a K6S is:

-need/want. I've got five S&W revolvers right now which already don't get much carry or range time as I mainly carry & shoot my various Glock guns.

-cost. Kimber's pricing is a bit high, particularly its newer all-black model, which I was considering, sight-unseen.

-longer-term reliability. I haven't heard of any breaking yet, but do wonder what will eventually break and when it'll happen. I haven't even heard of anybody sending one back for any issues. I think they're still too rare and nobody is reporting higher round counts yet (~5,000+ rounds).

-The new Colt Cobra is also out there (I'm now in Nevada and no longer roster-limited). The K6S's finish looks a bit better to me, but I've not held either. I'd mainly be carrying & shooting .38 Special anyway; caliber is therefore the same to me between the two. I've got the same concern regarding longer-term reliability.

For now, I'm set with S&W revolvers I've got to carry. Some have been back to S&W over the years. Others were sold off. One was replaced by S&W due to breakage, which I then immediately sold off due to lack of need & no longer wanting it (a no-lock 442).

For a similar S&W product, I can recommend the 640 Pro, but they're not always available for some reason. At the time, I was on GalleryofGuns.com's waiting list and bought immediately when I received its email indicating it was in stock.
Old 12-18-2017, 9:36 AM

I've had one for a few months now and recently added it as my first and only revolver on my permit. I'm a huge S&W K & L frame revolver fan but I am impressed by the quality, performance and handling of the K6S. I only shoot .38 specials out of small frame short barrel revolvers and have 250 rounds through the K6S. Extremely pleased. Well balanced and smooth trigger. The fit and finish is very good. No issues so far.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline View Post
Kimber makes a bad product with spotty QC.

Ruger for new. Vintage (pre lock) S&Ws are very affordable, some colts are too.

Short barrel 357 will be snappy and not that fun too shoot. Very potent though.
1. I'm more than happy with my several kimber 1911s. They are absolute butes in finish and shoot dead on. Could be blind luck from what I here from folks.

2. I agree. I looked at the adds before they came out. Did not look special to me.

3. I'm with you on that 100%. A tiny gun with magnum loads is just unnecessary unless if you are into pain.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
1. I'm more than happy with my several kimber 1911s. They are absolute butes in finish and shoot dead on. Could be blind luck from what I here from folks.

2. I agree. I looked at the adds before they came out. Did not look special to me.

3. I'm with you on that 100%. A tiny gun with magnum loads is just unnecessary unless if you are into pain.
I’m glad you got good ones! They seem to have a high lemon ratio from everything I’ve read and I’ve seen a few that weren’t so hot. If they had a better reputation, I’d own some.

It’s a numbers game really. I have an inherited Taurus .38 from the 60s that rivals my vintage S&Ws and Colts in function but I’d never buy a modern one. Same with freedom group stuff.

I just hat gamblin on guns. If I get a Ruger, glock, Colt, etc...I know it’s gonna be good and in the way off chance it’s not, they will take care of me.

-Clint Smith
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Yeah, you should have pulled the trigger. Smooth like butter.