Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-10-2015, 2:29 PM

Someone asked if this list updated. It does not look updated to me, since most input occurred years ago. In Sacramento I have used three FFLs and paid from 75 to 30 usd. I just asked the guy with the great price of 30 if he minded me referring his service. Sadly no; he wants to retire and does not want a flood of business. So I wish guys will start re-naming FFLs again and their current prices for benefit of new folk, as well as making a reliable list that lets everybody shop around.
Old 12-10-2015, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Called 10 minutes ago. Santa Clara, Rogers Relics. Long guns $65 for first one, $40 each after that.
Old 12-18-2015, 1:47 PM

How is this not an illegal tax, similar to a poll tax? You know, what libs cry about when they claim that requiring someone to have a photo ID to vote is like an illegal poll tax,because the person may have to pay for a driver's license or other photo ID.
Old 12-18-2015, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

2A Zone, Rancho Cucamonga
$40 Transfers
$50 SAE
$10 PPT

No storage fees.
Old 12-19-2015, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

^the absolute best around, you won't be disappointed
Old 12-19-2015, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Guns Direct in Burbank is $80+Dros. Not sure if I can really do better considering the cost of gas both ways.

Also I'm new to CA but whats with the tax collection on transfers? How can they verify the amount of a private sale? Is there a way around it without too much hassle with the IRS?
I American Gun Works in Glendale is $75. for out of state. Guns Direct in Burbank is $89 for an out of state shipment.

Last edited by Fred C Dobbs; 12-22-2015 at 9:30 AM..
Old 12-19-2015, 4:52 PM

Default PD Gun Supply and Tool. Sylmar

http://www.pdgun.com
$50 first gun plus DROS for an out of state transfer.
Dimitry is a good to do business with.
I ordered multiple guns and it was a good transaction. FYI. You can put more than one gun on the DROS sheet for the same single DROS fee.
He's in Slymar near the border of San Fernando between the 5 and the 210 on Glenoaks blvd.
Recommended.

Last edited by Fred C Dobbs; 12-20-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Old 12-19-2015, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post
FYI. You can put more than one gun on the DROS sheet for the same single DROS fee.
That is the way it works and if someone charges you more then $25 for the DROS when all are done at the same them, they are violating the law.

Each is a separate DROS, btw.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-20-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
That is the way it works and if someone charges you more then $25 for the DROS when all are done at the same them, they are violating the law.

Each is a separate DROS, btw.
Checked with another dealer and he says the $25 is for filing the form. Not per gun DROSed on the form.
If someone wants to charge a fee per gun on top of the DROS fee, that's up to them but I don't believe the state requires it per the two dealers I talked to and they do a lot of these.
I think if the State of California was dinging them $25 per gun and they were only collecting $25 per form they would figure it out pretty quickly if they were wrong.
Old 12-20-2015, 2:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Checked with another dealer and he says the $25 is for filing the form. Not per gun DROSed on the form.
If someone wants to charge a fee per gun on top of the DROS fee, that's up to them but I don't believe the state requires it per the two dealers I talked to and they do a lot of these.
I think if the State of California was dinging them $25 per gun and they were only collecting $25 per form they would figure it out pretty quickly if they were wrong.
Each firearm is done on a separate DROS. There is only one charge of $25 for any number of DROS submitted at the same time. If you look at what I replied to, it was said that some seem to charge per firearm for the DROS, ignoring the FFL fee which can be whatever the FFL wants, other than for a PPT.

So you seem to be talking about something else that the subject that was brought up, but matching what I said.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-20-2015, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Each firearm is done on a separate DROS. There is only one charge of $25 for any number of DROS submitted at the same time. If you look at what I replied to, it was said that some seem to charge per firearm for the DROS, ignoring the FFL fee which can be whatever the FFL wants, other than for a PPT.

So you seem to be talking about something else that the subject that was brought up, but matching what I said.
Could happen. Have a nice holiday season.
Old 12-20-2015, 6:28 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Could happen. Have a nice holiday season.
Translation: Merry Christmas.

~ You're welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 12-21-2015, 7:28 AM

Thanks Kemasa. Hope you're doing well. Merry Christmas!
Old 01-06-2016, 1:19 PM

Add to the list another dealer who charges a $ 20 "storage fee" for a PPT. I sold a gun today at Rinkor Arms in Santa Rosa and they have a new PPT fee,the storage fee. $55 to do a PPT there.
Old 01-06-2016, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfrey View Post
Add to the list another dealer who charges a $ 20 "storage fee" for a PPT. I sold a gun today at Rinkor Arms in Santa Rosa and they have a new PPT fee,the storage fee. $55 to do a PPT there.
They can only charge for storage if it is over 10 days.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Can anyone recommend a legitimate FFL in the Los Angeles metro area? I have a unique situation and need someone to do a familial transfer. My aunt is retired LEO up here in Oregon and she has terminal cancer. She would like to transfer one of her handguns to her sister who is living in Los Angeles. The thing is that her sister is married to a reputable (i.e. well-known)actor in LA, so they would like to be discreet. Any professional referrals would be kindly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstatetactical View Post
Can anyone recommend a legitimate FFL in the Los Angeles metro area? I have a unique situation and need someone to do a familial transfer. My aunt is retired LEO up here in Oregon and she has terminal cancer. She would like to transfer one of her handguns to her sister who is living in Los Angeles. The thing is that her sister is married to a reputable (i.e. well-known)actor in LA, so they would like to be discreet. Any professional referrals would be kindly appreciated.
Intrafamilial transfers ONLY apply between parent/child/grandparent/grandchild, not between brothers/sisters.

This means that such a transfer is not possible unless the firearm is on the certified list or exempt. If the firearm is exempt, such as C&R, single action revolver of a a minimum size or is on the certified list, I could do the transfer.

Inheritance is an exemption to the certified list, but the firearm has to be specifically listed from what I have heard.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:34 AM

Anyone know of a place that won't gouge you in the sf Bay Area? City Arms doesn't do FFL transfers...
Old 02-11-2016, 8:04 PM

Default Women & Guns statistics

http://www.marieclaire.com/politics/...uns/#the-stats

" Women & Guns, the Conflicted, Dangerous & Empowering Truth" a lively article in Marie Claire magazine.

"What women think, What women Fear, How women vote,
Yes guns are a women's issue
No, politicians won't solve gun violence."

and
"The Last Time I Saw Her"
Six women from across the country remember the sisters, daughters, and mothers they lost to mass shootings.
Old 04-09-2016, 6:28 PM

Default Pac West Firearms

We are a local FFL dealer in the Southern O.C. Calif. area. We deal in out of state transfers and PPT's, firearms sales, ammunition and light gunsmithing. Check out our Website to give you a little more idea of what we are all about and what we offer. www.pacwestfirearms.com.
Old 05-12-2016, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up FFL

Wimpy pawn shop Azusa, Ca

Great Service !!!!!In & out with in 30 minutes for PPT.
http://www.wimpeyspawn.net/pawnshop-...-azusa-ca.html
(John 20:31)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 AM

Roger and Lisa at Roger's Relics (San Josa, CA) are great guys but they recently jacked up prices to $65 + DROS, which put them in the same price category as highest prices local gun shops, you can still find FFL transfers <= $40 here locally, so they are not competitive at all any more. It was my mistake that I did not check current prices with them before ordering 3 rifles to be shipped to them. Also I have specifically arranged 3 rifles to be shipped to them at the same time, did all paperwork on the same DROS and picked up everything together and they still charged me $65 for EACH rifle. Most FFL guys are charging "additional fee" for transfers on the same DROS. End to end, I'm out of pocket for $100+. While I like Roger and Lisa doing business with them does not make sense to me anymore.
Old 09-29-2016, 4:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Any ffl dealers in Ventura you Calgunners would recommend?
Old 10-02-2016, 9:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There is NO "same DROS". Each firearm transferred has to be done on a separate DROS, although there is only one fee for all the firearms transferred at the same time. All can be out on the same 4473.

Old 04-04-2017, 9:46 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondwind View Post
Any ffl dealers in Ventura you Calgunners would recommend?
+1 Im looking for a FFL near the east county, near Thousand Oaks area.
Old 04-04-2017, 9:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Simi Valley?

Old 04-10-2017, 1:12 PM

I'm in Huntington Beach California and I'm selling my Diamond Back AR 15. It has the latest specs for California. It has a 16" barrel. Letting it go for $700.
Old 04-10-2017, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarganda View Post
I'm in Huntington Beach California and I'm selling my Diamond Back AR 15. It has the latest specs for California. It has a 16" barrel. Letting it go for $700.
Not the correct place to post that.

Old 04-19-2017, 5:21 PM

Default AA LIL OFF TOPIC BUT

i am looking into opening a gun store in atlanta { no competition to you , lol }
and am hoping that some of the current FFL HOLDERS wouldnt mind helping me
with a lil inside information to save me some time and heart ache .

i would like to know if firearm manufactures have a minimum purchase requirement
and if so what is the common number.

ANY INFORMATION YOU GUYS CAN GIVE WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL AND GREATLY APPRECIATED .....

THANKS
Edit/Delete Message
Old 04-19-2017, 7:26 PM
Señor Member

That's pretty standard for any manufacturer/supplier/distributor/dealer agreement.
I see no reason why firearms would be any different. Yes, they want their products to be available, but they don't want to oversaturate the market area with too many dealers. That drives prices down and hurts productive dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-20-2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqpenguin View Post
Anyone know of a place that won't gouge you in the sf Bay Area? City Arms doesn't do FFL transfers...
Yeah! He sez, not a moment too soon.

Just a few updates:

Castro Valley Gun Shop - If this is the same as Bullseye Castro Valley, they be gone.

Kevin Smith - Retired.

Diablo Valley Gun Works - Looks like they've changed their name to The Gun Works, same address. They charge $35 for PPTs, doesn't mention if that includes DROS. Their site says to call for transfer fees, which makes me think the fees are variable and expensive.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 09-30-2017, 11:11 AM

If anyone has a recent good experience with someone near Los angeles (East side preferred) let me know! Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 7:20 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAprepper View Post
If anyone has a recent good experience with someone near Los angeles (East side preferred) let me know! Thanks
Aces Pawn in Covina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Default FFL's around San Jose

Looking for FFL's with reasonable transfer fees near or around San Jose.

Anyone?.... Anyone?..... Anyone?...
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wiseguy View Post
Looking for FFL's with reasonable transfer fees near or around San Jose.

Anyone?.... Anyone?..... Anyone?...
Metal Dog, Far West Photography (Yes it’s an FFL), MP ARMS ... all highly rated
Old 11-09-2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg247 View Post
Metal Dog, Far West Photography (Yes it’s an FFL), MP ARMS ... all highly rated
Thanks for the reply. That helps me narrow down my phone calls! I'll report back as to their fees.
Old 11-09-2017, 2:15 PM

FYI... Metal Dog = $75 + $25 (DROS) $100, Far West Photography $79.50 for everything.
Old 11-09-2017, 4:28 PM

Remember that you can do family transfers with multiple guns for just $19 using just the doj form. You do not have to pay an FFL to do that for you.
Old 11-13-2017, 4:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
Remember that you can do family transfers with multiple guns for just $19 using just the doj form. You do not have to pay an FFL to do that for you.
As long as all are residents of CA.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:38 AM

OK....can anyone give me an FFL with reasonable transfer fees in the Inland Empire (San Bernardino/Riverside) area? And many thanks...