Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 4:08 PM

Default Lytle Creek Range

Thinking of going to the Lytle Creek Range soon. Can I get some feedback on how the people are over there?

Last edited by retired; 01-05-2014 at 11:04 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 5:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Every time I have been there it has alway been a great time. We are heading up on Saturday to do some long range shooting...

By the way.. go Raiders!!!!

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member
Old 01-05-2014, 5:26 PM

Is there a two hour limit? Can you believe those dumb bolts won today? Can't stand it. How did the two Kalifornia teams won in such bad weather

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 5:27 PM

I went to Raagauges with my wife and 8 year old and spent 70 just for the fees... I just can't see myself spending that much money every weekend

Old 01-05-2014, 5:48 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Last I heard, Lytle creek thinks they are the police. they check guns, check mags and hassle RAW's
Old 01-05-2014, 6:14 PM

Lytle creek RO are pretty chill and helpful. The people at the office are very friendly and always trying to save you a buck.

Lytle creek is $14 per person (well it was last year).
Old 01-05-2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
Don't bother bringing any 80% builds
Can you please elaborate? I've had my own issues with the RO's there and now prefer to make the drive to Barstow, but I'm genuinely curious as to what they're attitude is towards 80%'s.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Don't bother bringing any 80% builds
That's odd, it was the RO at LC that was telling me I should build one. Maybe he wanted to kick me out later lol.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:44 PM

They're never asked me for paperwork. I can see a RAW being a different story.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:55 PM

Just be CA compliant and you'll be fine. I've had a good experience there and have seen them be fair with the people they have to talk to.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidernation 247 View Post
Is there a two hour limit? Can you believe those dumb bolts won today? Can't stand it. How did the two Kalifornia teams won in such bad weather

No time limit you can stay the whole day, we jump between station also, pistol, shotgun, rifle if it is not too packed...

Ya I did not think either one had a chance.. At least KC choked..

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member
Old 01-05-2014, 9:54 PM

I brought my 80% AK there just today, not a single problem. There were 3 at my lane alone. Lots of people go to Lytle with their 80% ak's because that is the most convenient place to test and they allow steel core ammo(the milsurp stuff)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 PM

According to thier website, they do not allow steelcore ammo. Please let me know if their policy has changed since I would like to burn up some surp ammo.

http://www.lytlecreekrange.com
Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Also, unless things have changed since we cancelled the last official Calguns planned shoot in April, 2011, the local ranger will not allow any 10+ pre ban mags. Management at the range was not the one making the change, but they were told to enforce it by the rangers.

I have no idea whether it is still that way as I've not been back since that time after 10yrs. of shooting there. Does anyone who has gone recently know if that has changed and they now permit pre ban standard mags again.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Banned

I was told a couple weeks ago when I was there that it's 10rd magazines only, no exceptions.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM

Just talk to them, don't ask any dump questions, police your brass, be cool @ they have no issues. I always ask to collect other peoples brass for reloading and nobody ever has any issues with it. Theve only checked my mag button once cause I had my brass catcher hooked up. 80 per enters are fine up there along with everything else that's legal. I shoot there often enough for them to remember my face but nobody is on a first name basis. I'll usually spark a conversation with one or two of them right when I get there and have never been hassled ever.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=1224

"The sole basis of education is to turn mirrors into windows" - Sydney J. Harris

"Life is a disease: s€xually transmitted, and invariably fatal." -Neil Gaiman

SWAG - "Scientific Wild *** Guess"
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

I've been here but only with a bolt action rifle to zero in because the wind was too strong here where I reside close to BLM land.

The range isn't bad at all, problems with the staff probably depends on who's working.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:46 AM

Quote:
I was told by my firearms instructor they insist on paperwork for all guns. In other words, no 80%s. This was confirmed by others in the class. I suppose it could be wrong, please post an update if you go and find it to be untrue. I would like to be able to shoot there.
FUD.
Steel core from the Mosin, never a problem. AR's, never a problem. Paperwork? What the hell? Oh, Hi Cap 9mm, pre-ban or whatever? No one seemed to care.
RO's, one guy kinda grumpy, the rest seemed fine and helpful to noobs out there. They have targets for $2 but I would bring a stand or holder.
Old 01-06-2014, 9:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas83 View Post
80 per enters are fine up there along with everything else that's legal.
Unfortunately since Ranger Brandon has decided legal pre bans aren't legal that isn't completely true, but again, that isn't on the staff. I've always found them to be cooperative and polite. They worked well with us when I organized the shoots we use to hold there.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

I've shot there quite a few times because it is close to me and I've always enjoyed it and had a good time. All the RO's Ihave met were very friendly, courteous, and went out of their way to help out new shooters. Also, I personally really appreciate safety factor vs. BLM land. I don't see myself taking my kids to Hodge Rd or Steele Peak on a crowded day and just spending the entire time worrying that Joe Bob Dumbass was going to pull some stupid/negligent stuff and get someone shot.

I have never seen them look at anyone closely enough to even see if your rifle was an 80%. I can't imagine them asking you for papers.

All of my mags are 10/30's and they do usually just ask politely ask me if they are indeed 10 rounders, so I would have to assume the rule about hi-cap mags is still in place.

I'm not an expert on the ammo laws, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but steel core ammo is not the same as steel case ammo. I have shot steel case ammo there, such as Wolf, Tula, Milsurp myself and I can confirm that they even have separate buckets set out to collect the steel casings in, separate from the brass. There is no issue with this ammo at all.

Steel core ammo, the stuff listed on their website, is basically considered armor piercing rounds is banned for civilian use on the federal level.

I'm glad that as an organization Calguns is basically boycotting the place, because the hi-cap rule is stupid and unjustified. But on a personal level I enjoy it and can't just write it off because of one d-bag in charge who is not even really associated with the rest of the staff and management. I guess that is kind of hypocritical but that's my thoughts on it.

What is the NRA doing for YOU in YOUR local area? Click to find out.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.

Last edited by Dirte; 01-06-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Old 01-06-2014, 1:31 PM

$14 per person to shoot, no time limit, no hi-cap mags, they only allow steel core mil surplus on high humidity days due to fire risks and the weekends are crazy busy. Go during the week (preferable on Tues – Thurs) when there are less people or you might find yourself waiting for a table & eating other peoples’ brass all day long. There are 4 or 5 ranges and one of the ranges goes to 300 yards. It’s great place when it’s not crowded and the ROs are not on their periods.
Old 01-06-2014, 1:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I think I want to bring my 10 round Beowulf mags there to rub in the ranger's face.
Old 01-06-2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post
I think I want to bring my 10 round Beowulf mags there to rub in the ranger's face.
I wish we had a "Like" button.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 01-06-2014, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecktic View Post
$14 per person to shoot, no time limit, no hi-cap mags, they only allow steel core mil surplus on high humidity days due to fire risks and the weekends are crazy busy. Go during the week (preferable on Tues – Thurs) when there are less people or you might find yourself waiting for a table & eating other peoples’ brass all day long. There are 4 or 5 ranges and one of the ranges goes to 300 yards. It’s great place when it’s not crowded and the ROs are not on their periods.
nicely said!
Old 01-06-2014, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

I have always enjoyed shooting there. Sometimes ammo is an issue, as they have a danger of fires in the area. No steel core ammo.

I have shot my 80 percent many times and never had an issue. I find the range officers friendly for the most part.

There are california rangers there sometimes, so the range does like to stay out of trouble. No mags over 10 rounds.
Old 01-06-2014, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, never had anyone ask for paperwork. Been shooting there for years, never once been asked or seen anyone else asked for paperwork.

Good rule of thumb, dont bring anything stupid to shoot.
Old 01-08-2014, 5:41 PM

The last time I was there was in August of '13.

No magazines over ten rounds. Period. Apparently it's a range rule and not an individuals rule.

If you are shooting a RAW, expect to show paperwork. I was told to remove my firearm from the range until I showed evidence of legal conformity. Still no hicap mags allowed, even for the RAWs.

I shot a bunch of Tula/Wolf out of my AK without being hassled. A guy in the lane next to me was shooting milsurp ammo in his Mosin, also no hassles from the ROs.

Don't be shy, if you save your brass, expect to have to tell some unscrupulous miscreants to quit stealing your brass. Animals, I tell you.

All the ROs I've run across there were helpful, some a little bit too helpful.

They have a couple steel targets at the 100 m mark. They don't allow placing targets any closer than 25 m on the rifle range (so no pistol practice for me). I didn't bother to ask where the pistol range was because I didn't want to pack and move.

Mid week is best, really crowded on the weekend.

Fourteen bucks per shooter and you can shoot all day.

I hate the neutered mag rule, but it's closer than driving up to the high desert, so I'll go back.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 PM

Was there yesterday.Standard!capacity(let's not let the sissy/antis indoctrinate US)mags are allowed for handguns depending on the RO,they are strict on 10 rounders for Longguns only.Separate steel and brass buckets.They get on you about picking up your brass,and no homie style blasting g/ese.They got on some guys for shooting one handed mag dumps,they like the skilled shooter,2A guys types more than the rowdy,unfocused and uninformed.Basically the type of persons here on this board are good to go.Some are jerks,some average,one guy in particular is the coolest yet professional RO I've ever seen.I go on days he is there,very cool,even thanked US for cleaning the brass and shooting fun but focused.PM me for info anyone.Hell,I am applying to work there.
Heckler & Koch USC - .45 ACP
Glock 20 - 10mm Auto
Old 02-25-2014, 9:57 AM

Anyone ever take an ar/ak pistol up there? Do think they'll hassle me about my ak pistol?

And how about a 80% ar pistol, anyone think they'll have issues with me shouldering it?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM

No they are quite cool about them,they just laughed about them being called pistols,but just want CA compliance.God i am starting to hate that term.Guy that got yelled at for shooting homie style one handed gangst@ grip Sunday....was an AK pistol.They just want 2A types,not tough guys trying to macho up ghetto style.Otherwise they are a pretty fun bunch,better than the West LA spots(think attitude and money)for sure.
Heckler & Koch USC - .45 ACP
Glock 20 - 10mm Auto
Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post

No magazines over ten rounds. Period. Apparently it's a range rule and not an individuals rule.
It is a range rule only because it is an individual's rule. The land is Forest Service land leased by the The Firing Line at Lytle Creek. The individual that implemented the ban on 10+ in early 2011 was the local Forest Service law enforcement ranger. The range staff must enforce any rules the FS tells them to or risk losing their lease.

I know this for a certainty because I'm the one who organized all 3 Calguns shoots there from 2009-2011. Members were posting in the April 2011, thread that 10+ mags weren't allowed and people were being told to leave. Since we were not sure that everyone had seen the update in the thread about that, it was decided to cancel the event.

The staff were great and we had over 100 people at each of the prior 3 events, including families. We also held a BBQ. Very successful.

I contacted the local Ranger, the Capt. for the area and the Commander for the state, located in N/Cal. None would ever give me an answer as to why the local leo ranger was allowed to enforce this even tho it is legal to possess pre ban mags. A member of the Lytle Creek board advised me their staff was only doing what they were told they had to do.

Prior to this, I had been shooting there for 10yrs. with my nephew (Calguns member) and my adult son. I like the place, but since moving further south to the Murrieta area, I have not been there.

The range is a great place to shoot, you just cannot shoot 10+ mags. If that doesn't bother you, I'd encourage people to shoot there. The price is right and there are a lot of shooting lanes.
Old 05-21-2014, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't been to this range in awhile and I plan on going this weekend

Do they still allow steel cased Tula and wolf ammo to be shot at their range?

As for target could I bring my own bowling pins???

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM

You can bring your own targets. I doubt that they are allowing steel ammo at the moment with the severe drought in effect. You should check the website or call the office before going.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk, probably while I'm supposed to be paying attention in class, waiting in line, or sitting on the throne.

Old 06-02-2014, 1:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeko View Post
I haven't been to this range in awhile and I plan on going this weekend

Do they still allow steel cased Tula and wolf ammo to be shot at their range?

As for target could I bring my own bowling pins???

Thanks for the help in advance
I shoot exclusively Tula and Wolf, no problems

They sell bowling pins, so I'd assume you can bring your own. Just no ground targets at the 25rd and maybe the 50rd mark.
Old 07-15-2014, 9:21 PM

READ their front page!!! "No steel core or tracer ammo allowed."

You guys are mixing up Bimetal Steel Jacketed Ammo with Steel Core Ammo

Tula/Wolf is Bi-Metal Steel Jacketed Projectiles (No issues using this, they also sell it in the Range office)

M855 or SS109 is Steel or Tungsten Core (NOT ALLOWED)

http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/Default.htm

BTW, if you bring your own targets out there, be prepared for A-Holes and Noobies will shoot your targets.

Be aware of your surroundings at all times: Noobies and Ghetto blasters might muzzle you

Last edited by SoCal Choppas; 07-15-2014 at 9:26 PM..
Old 08-09-2014, 8:47 AM

Been there many times. I like going there because I can shoot steel cased ammo in my AK. I only had an issue once there with a RO. My first time there I was shooting my AK at the 25 yard line, the RO came and we talked for a while, no issues. Then about 30 minutes later a new RO took over (some old guy) he ran to me and started yelling saying I couldn't shoot a rifle at the 25 yard line. I put my hand in his face and said "look, this is my first time here, last RO did not mention anything to me, do not come over here being rude and yelling in my face. I have no problems following the rules, I just didn't know it was a rule." He immediately backed down and changed his attitude to a friendly type attitude and said "oh you're new here its ok"

Never had another problem there aside from that day
Old 08-10-2014, 4:11 PM

I go there twice a week the chubby guy is cool
The old man Fred I think is his name his a bit of a dick sometimes
Was there yesterday they have some new guy
Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM

I'll be up there first thing Tuesday morning if anybody is interested. I'll have on a blue calguns shirt. PM me if need be.

"The sole basis of education is to turn mirrors into windows" - Sydney J. Harris

Old 08-11-2014, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon3 View Post

They sell bowling pins, so I'd assume you can bring your own. Just no ground targets at the 25rd and maybe the 50rd mark.
Really? Must be a new thing as the last time I went in, oh say March, they said no ground targets regardless of distance as I brought my own bowling pins. Guess it doesn't matter much anymore since I'll be going to WEGC the next time I go out that way.

I know rules are in place for safety, but some of them are ridiculous. I couldn't even load my mags on my tailgate. One time I couldn't even fiddle with my upper despite separating from my lower at my truck.

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within." - - General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur, 13 June 1951
Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM

I met EspoMan up there this morning. There were only two ore tired guys shooting from a rest when we showed up. It was nice, good weather, RO was ok. I got yelled at a couple times over something dumb, oh yea I had two of my rifles and my handgun on the bench and was told only two firearms on a bench at a time. At cease fire EspoMan didn't have his handgun pointed "perfectly" downrange and was asked to correct it even though the RO saw the slide locked back, no mag, clear weapon.

Price went up from $14-$16, steel gongs were at 100 & 200 yds. Other than that it was ok. No ground targets at the 50 or closer. I'd almost rather pay the $30 for Raahagues, so we can police ourselves without the small hassles.

I get it, safety first, I understand that rule, but there's a line drawn over ridiculousness. Oh, one other thing, there was a Forest Service Rep there that wanted to survey a shooter from every vehicle upon leaving the range. Yea I could have thrown my two cents in, but I was getting hangry lol

I'll continue to go back, but less & less if they keep micro managing the way they are.