Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-14-2009, 3:29 PM

Cool, I'll have to lok into that.

Now another new obsession. Knives.

I want a folding and a fixed blade. I have a friend that's somewhat into knives and he recommended these to me:

SOG Flash II (can be had for around $40 shipped)
SOG Seal Pup (can be had for around $58 shipped)

What do you guys think??

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 04-14-2009, 5:34 PM

I suggest that you read the part about "modular B.O.B.s" in this thread, if you didn't read it all yet.

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -
Old 04-14-2009, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
Cool, I'll have to lok into that.

Now another new obsession. Knives.

I want a folding and a fixed blade. I have a friend that's somewhat into knives and he recommended these to me:

SOG Flash II (can be had for around $40 shipped)
SOG Seal Pup (can be had for around $58 shipped)

What do you guys think??
There is a thread here somewhere about knives...

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-14-2009, 8:21 PM

i need to get pics up soon, i am bout 70 percent done with my bag, just need to put the list together. then you guys get to tell me what else i need
love it
Old 04-14-2009, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyoates77 View Post
i need to get pics up soon, i am bout 70 percent done with my bag, just need to put the list together. then you guys get to tell me what else i need
love it
...or what you don't (half joke)

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-15-2009, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark&Good View Post
I suggest that you read the part about "modular B.O.B.s" in this thread, if you didn't read it all yet.
I found what you wrote about your modular setup. What bag/bags are you using??

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 04-15-2009, 1:26 PM

Quote:
I found what you wrote about your modular setup. What bag/bags are you using??
I'd say, depends on how much stuff you can/will carry, otherwise just get something light and tough for each module, and make sure the "level2" (day pack) fits into the "level3", something like this:

The hip pack (level1) is on your hip at all times, with the most basic (most important) items in it.

I made a few trips with this setup, organizing what goes where, and I ended up with what works best for me. I listed the contents of my hip pack and day pack earlier.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -

Last edited by Dark&Good; 04-15-2009 at 1:30 PM..
Old 04-16-2009, 3:46 AM

I'm heading out in a few hours. I'm taking level2 gear:

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I'm heading out in a few hours. I'm taking level2 gear:

Is that the set up for a trip to the mall?

I really like that set up - clean and tidy - what kind of sheath is that? i'd like one for my kit.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 PM

popndrop, thats his B.O.B he uses when he gets his hair done, he doesnt want any trouble when he gets his fade done.
Old 04-16-2009, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

If you are worried about possible confiscation of your weapons in a SHTF situation I suggest you keep a copy of this in all your BOBs.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bil..._chaptered.pdf

Along with all your other important docs: DL, SSN, birth cert, passport, marriage cert. AW registration if applicable to the carried weapon. Hard and soft copies are a great idea.

You could always buy a guitar case
IDPA Member
Old 04-16-2009, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancear15 View Post
Thanks!

What do you guys think of this bag???

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Old 04-16-2009, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

What do you guys think of this bag???

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
I think thats a nice bag - but a little pricey to just have it sitting in the closet or garage until who knows when happens...
I'd look for something second hand or a knock off on ebay or something - it's not supposed to last forever, just needs to get you through a couple/few days worth of roughing it. I think my bag cost less than $30 - I have others that are more expensive that I use for hunting and travel, but why have them sitting there getting dusty...maybe I'm just a cheapskate
Old 04-17-2009, 1:35 PM

Actually I am thinking of getting into backpacking/hiking. I thought this would be a good bag to use for backpacking/hiking/hunting as well as my In-Jeep BOB. I like the idea of testing via using the stuff in my BOB.

The thing that worries me about using a cheap bag is how well it would perform when I actually need it. If I need to hump this bag for a few days, I want it to function as well as be comfortable.

I plan to have other bags as just storage units (one in my wifes car, one at work, one at the house). These could be grabbed and packed, but not nearly as nice/comfortable/reliable as my main pack.

Does that make sense??

Old 04-17-2009, 1:58 PM

I think that makes sense. If you're going to be using it though, doesn't that run the risk of meaning that things won't be ready in the event that they're needed unexpectedly? I was pondering on this issue myself before I settled on the cheap bag. I think/hope that it will hold up for a couple of weeks if need be.
Old 04-17-2009, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popndrop View Post
I think that makes sense. If you're going to be using it though, doesn't that run the risk of meaning that things won't be ready in the event that they're needed unexpectedly? I was pondering on this issue myself before I settled on the cheap bag. I think/hope that it will hold up for a couple of weeks if need be.
Yeah, I see your point as well. My thinking was that if I am out using it, I can just replace what I used when I get back. My main reasoning for it though is I want to KNOW what works and what doesn't. The only way I will know this is by using it. I'm new to all of this (backpacking, roughing it outdoors). I do quite a bit of hunting, but it is ALL day trips. The Camping I have done has been in 5th wheels and Toy haulers. lol

I'm just working on this stuff, but hope to get out and use it soon.

Anyone have any access to MRE's??

Also, I looked at the bags at Wal-mart and I picked up one of the $30 ones. This will be my wifes pack (will be in her car). But for $30 it looks like a pretty good bag. I'm pretty sure this would hold up for short trips as long as it doesn't get loaded down too mcuh. It's the Adrenaline day and 1/2 pack. It holds 2320 cu in.

Last edited by hotwls13; 04-17-2009 at 5:20 PM..
Old 04-17-2009, 8:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Anyone have any access to MRE's??
Last week I got a couple cases of the civi MRE's from MREDEPOT and really was impressed by the pricing, service, and product. They even have a discount for calgunners...."Calguns" in the promo field. I'm in So. Cal, and received my order in 1-day.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puropuro View Post
Last week I got a couple cases of the civi MRE's from MREDEPOT and really was impressed by the pricing, service, and product. They even have a discount for calgunners...."Calguns" in the promo field. I'm in So. Cal, and received my order in 1-day.

Hope that helps.
Have you tried the civi ones?? As in have you eaten any of them?? I got out in 99, but even then the military MRE's were pretty good. I have heard they are even better now. I MAY order a couple cases of the Military ones. It ends up being like $2 more per meal, but I have faith in the military ones, where the civi ones look to be lacking to me in both selection as well as contents.

I have heard of folks eating the mountain meals as well, but I just don't know if there is anything out there that can beat the Military MRE's.

I will definitely have some spices (salt, pepper, lawry's seasoning) plus I will probably add some rice a roni meals as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 1:58 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Have you tried the civi ones?? As in have you eaten any of them?? I got out in 99, but even then the military MRE's were pretty good. I have heard they are even better now. I MAY order a couple cases of the Military ones. It ends up being like $2 more per meal, but I have faith in the military ones, where the civi ones look to be lacking to me in both selection as well as contents.

I have heard of folks eating the mountain meals as well, but I just don't know if there is anything out there that can beat the Military MRE's.

I will definitely have some spices (salt, pepper, lawry's seasoning) plus I will probably add some rice a roni meals as well.
The military MRE's are definitely better. You're right about the civi's lacking in content. They generally have a regular MRE entree and maybe some MRE crackers and the rest is over-the-counter stuff in a heat-sealed plastic bag. And no matter what, you won't get a strawberry shake, which is my favorite.

I bought some really decent backpacks at Big5 when they had a 50% off sale. Just watch the ads and you should be able to get a decent pack for $20-30. You can also look in the clearance bin at REI.

Ebay is a good resource for MRE's. They're very popular, so you have to watch it constantly, but you should be able to get a case for $50-60 shipped. Sort by 'time-listed' and the new buy-it-nows will have some deals. If you have to bid, you'll get $crewed. There are a lot of sellers selling individual components and those are good too. There's a case on there now with an inspection date of '07 for $60 shipped. As you know, the inspection date is not an expiration date and they will be safe to eat forever. The retort packaging is bacteria-free. They just tend to lose flavor quality and maybe some nutrition value as time goes by. But '07 is good to go for some time.

By the way, the SU16 has been deployed and works great. Thanks again.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Last edited by olhunter; 04-18-2009 at 2:08 PM..
Old 04-18-2009, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got these:
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...s-aPack/Detail

We tried one today, and the family thought it was really good. Everyone said they were surprised, and much better than expected. However, I don't dispute the military ones to be better.....just these were from a trusted source, and I believe, fresher.
Old 04-18-2009, 2:28 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I got these:

We tried one today, and the family thought it was really good. Everyone said they were surprised, and much better than expected. However, I don't dispute the military ones to be better.....just these were from a trusted source, and I believe, fresher.
Yep, those look better than they used to. More actual MRE products and HEATERS! There are some pretty good APack deals on ebay right now. No, I'm not selling them. I love MRE's. I always take them hunting and have several cases in our 'earthquake' kit.

Old 04-18-2009, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
The military MRE's are definitely better. You're right about the civi's lacking in content. They generally have a regular MRE entree and maybe some MRE crackers and the rest is over-the-counter stuff in a heat-sealed plastic bag. And no matter what, you won't get a strawberry shake, which is my favorite.

I bought some really decent backpacks at Big5 when they had a 50% off sale. Just watch the ads and you should be able to get a decent pack for $20-30. You can also look in the clearance bin at REI.

Ebay is a good resource for MRE's. They're very popular, so you have to watch it constantly, but you should be able to get a case for $50-60 shipped. Sort by 'time-listed' and the new buy-it-nows will have some deals. If you have to bid, you'll get $crewed. There are a lot of sellers selling individual components and those are good too. There's a case on there now with an inspection date of '07 for $60 shipped. As you know, the inspection date is not an expiration date and they will be safe to eat forever. The retort packaging is bacteria-free. They just tend to lose flavor quality and maybe some nutrition value as time goes by. But '07 is good to go for some time.

By the way, the SU16 has been deployed and works great. Thanks again.
GREAT to hear you are enjoting the SU-16!!!

Thanks for the input on the MRE's as well. MREdepot has NEW ones with Jan 09 dates one them for $90 shipped. The civi ones are like $65 shipped with the "calguns" discount. It's worth it to me to spend the extra $25 for 3 month old Military MRE's.

I'm 99% sure that's what I'm gonna do, just have to wait for a couple more paydays. lol

I think I am at about $150 so far setting this pack up. Still considering the pack from Cabela's but after packing my stuff into the bag I got at Wal-mart (the 2300 cu in) I am worried the Cabela's one will be too small.

I probably have too much stuff on my list. I currently have my clothes in a gym bag and the Wal-mart bag is about 95% full.

For now, this may be the way I go. Keep the clothes in a separate bag. But in the future, I would like to be able to grab the ONE bag and walk. In my current shape though, humping a 50lb bag would probably kill me. lol

Old 04-18-2009, 3:03 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

MREdepot also sells on ebay under userid - scyros35

Bought several things from them with no problems.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Here is what I have in my bag so far:

Bag: (currently wal-mart 2300 cu in bag)
Bic lighter
Magnesium Firestarter
Matches in waterproof container
Kindling made from dryer lint and wax.
550-cord
Velcro Strap
Wire 4’
Superglue
Weather/fm/am radio (winding type)
First Aid Kit
Sterno X 2
Sierra Cup
Roll of Electrician's Tape
Whistle/Compass/Mag Glass
Space Blanket
40% Deet Bug Repelent
Poncho
Thermos with cup
Folding Shovel/Pick
US Army Survival Manual
SAS Pocket Survival Book
Aircrew Survival Manual
Flashlight – Maglite Small 2AA
Flashlight – Emergency Shake
Head Lamp
Binos
Playing cards and dice
Leatherman – Gerber
Sharpie with Duct Tape strips around it
Immodium AD
Excederin
No-Doz
Carabiners – 2 climbing rated
Knife – SOG Flash II
Knife – Gerber double blade (straight and serrated)
Knife – Gerber small double edge camo
Kydex Handgun Holster
Kydex Handgun Magazine Holster
Magazines for XD 9mm X 2 (loaded)
Magazines for AR-15 X 2 (loaded)
Foamie Ear Plugs – 10 sets
Towel
Floppy Hat (Tan)
Watch Cap (Black)
Leather Gloves (Black)
Cotton Gloves (Brown)

CLOTHING: (Second Bag)
Gore-tex jacket
1-Hooded Sweatshirt
1-T-Shirt Long Sleeve
1-Pair Khaki Style Pants
3 pairs underwear
3 pairs socks
3 t-shirts

Things still on my list to get:

WAL-MART:
Hand Sanitizer
Nalgene Water Bottles
Lexan Spoon $6
Matches (light on anything)
Baby Wipes $3
Chem lights $5
Salt and Pepper $1
Seasoning Salt
Road Flares
Axe/Hatchet
Sierra Bowl
sharpening stone
waterproof box/bags (need some larger than 1gallon Ziplocs)
Chapstick
Sunblock $2
Sunglasses
Bug nets
fishing kit/game cleaning
Sewing kit
sm manicure set
Candy (jolly ranchers)
Gatorade powdered
CLIF BARS
Altoids (for tin) $3
Spectra fiber line (for fishing or trip wires also comes in natural colors)
Rope 50’ (Boat section)
Signal Mirror
Snare Wire
Safety Pins
16 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide
16 oz Rubbing Alcohol
tooth brushes and paste
1-9mm Boresnake
1-Sealed Container of Clenzoil One Step Gun Cleaning Wipes
Wool Socks
lots of batteries
spam!
Rice a Roni bagged meals

AAA:
Maps with bug out routes pened in. Keep one set in your car too

Online Purchase:
Bag – Cabelas Rifle Pack or Maxpedition Falcon II
Nomex Gloves $20
MRE's $90 per case
Large "Survival" Knife (SOG Seal Pup) $58
Small Otis Kit $45
Katadyn Hiker water purifier $75
Steri-Pen UV Light Water Sterilizer
QuikClot blood stopper $20
1-5.11 Tactical Khaki Style Vest $50
1-Khaki Style Belt $40
1-Shemagh $15

Check Into Prescriptions:
Cipro
Zithromax

I'm beginning to think my list is a bit TOO LARGE. lol I don't doubt that all of the items would be great to have, but I need to find system where I can carry all of the above myself if needed. Though it would be nice to be somewhat modular so I don't necessarily always have such a HUGE pack.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd say you're maybe a little heavy on Knives, Fire, and flashlights....but I'm new to this as well. Seriously, how many ways to make fire do you really need? Same with ways to cut, or ways to make light....unless this is a EOTWAWKI bag in which case, carry on
Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'd say you're maybe a little heavy on Knives, Fire, and flashlights....but I'm new to this as well. Seriously, how many ways to make fire do you really need? Same with ways to cut, or ways to make light....unless this is a EOTWAWKI bag in which case, carry on
I agree with you on the knives. I could trim that down to just my Gerber Multi-tool and my SOG Flash II. That would eliminate two knives.

As for fire, I have to disagree. Depending on how extreme the situation gets, I think the ability to make fire is THE single most important thing in your bag. You HAVE to have water. The only way to be sure the water is safe is boiling or water purification. I WILL have a water purification setup, but if it breaks or becomes useless, I will still have fire to fall back on. Also, depending on climate, fire will be needed for heat. Plus, fire will make food (animals/fish) edible. Lastly, all the things I have to make fire ar VERY small and LIGHT.

Also, as for lighting. I ONLY have one small maglite, the headlamp and in an extreme situation the shaker flashlight.

This pack very well COULD be a EOTWAWKI bag (though I am calling it my "Earthquake Kit"). You never know, and I would rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 04-19-2009, 1:36 PM

the only thing you need to do hotwls13 is take it out and test it. go out for 3 days. go out for a week. see what you like, see what you REALLY need.
it looks like its a little too big, but if you have some other person carrying a pack, you should be good
Old 04-19-2009, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I got these:

+1 for apack. i ate those everyday for 2 weeks after hurricane ike
Old 04-19-2009, 5:12 PM

Ok, I'm back from the field trip
Besides the hip pack/day pack items listed earlier, I took an Optimus Nova multi-fuel stove with me, for testing. It's very light, very small, and worked perfectly. I heated water four times and cooked food twice in three days; it used up about 75-80% of the camp fuel from the 20 fl.oz bottle. Next time I'll try gasoline.
My headlamp (Princeton Tec Apex LED) is a "pocket"-item (not carried in a pack). I got the "battery low" signal (some blinking) on this trip, which is fine, since I've been using the same batteries on the previous two trips as well, occasionally for continuous 2-3 hours - five nights in total. This means about 10 hours on "high" + about 4 hours on "low". The batteries were still excellent for "low" when I decided to replace them.
The plain edge Gerber Gator knife is great for food processing, but I didn't like its efficiency in cutting pinky-thin, green branches. The Bark River Bravo-1 with it's convex blade is the tool for that (and for all the other outdoor uses).
The Wetterlings Small Hunter Axe is a little beast. I would highly recommend it.
My gloves came handy in my attempts to get across thick, spiky bushes. A beanie seems to be a blessing when cold winds blow... Both my friend and I continue to be amazed by the Wolverine Ridgeline boots. We walked for the most part of the day, and our feet didn't "feel it" - it's a very good feeling to put them on again... and again...
We had a great time.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-19-2009, 5:19 PM

Here's a book I find extremely useful for a B.O.B. (if you won't rather learn the contents):
NOLS Wilderness First Aid (Nols Library) by Todd Schimelpfenig (Author), Linda Lindsey (Author), Joan Safford (Illustrator)

Table of contents:

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-20-2009, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Both my friend and I continue to be amazed by the Wolverine Ridgeline boots. We walked for the most part of the day, and our feet didn't "feel it" - it's a very good feeling to put them on again... and again...
We had a great time.
Are these the ridgelines you are using??

http://www.wolverine.com/US/Shop/Det...M&dim&area&vci

I wasn't able to find ANY 6" Wolverine Ridgeline Extremes.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Are these the ridgelines you are using??

http://www.wolverine.com/US/Shop/Det...M&dim&area&vci

I wasn't able to find ANY 6" Wolverine Ridgeline Extremes.
No, I'm using a 6" (400g Thinsulate) model that I bought about a year ago. It's not exactly the same model, but here are some 6inchers:

http://shby.discount-and-bargain.com...rproof-leather

My friend uses the 9". I just bought a 9" (600g Thinsulate) model, too.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
No, I'm using a 6" (400g Thinsulate) model that I bought about a year ago. It's not exactly the same model, but here are some 6inchers:

http://shby.discount-and-bargain.com...rproof-leather

My friend uses the 9". I just bought a 9" (600g Thinsulate) model, too.
I'm also looking at the 9" 600g. Are the 400g TOO HOT in the summer?? I'm just wondering if the 600g will be too hot for a year round boot.

Old 04-20-2009, 8:18 PM

Quote:
I'm also looking at the 9" 600g. Are the 400g TOO HOT in the summer?? I'm just wondering if the 600g will be too hot for a year round boot.
Well, not easy to answer with a universal truth, haha... Personally, I don't find the 400g boots too hot at all. I've been using them for 3-day hikes in 75-85 degrees day temperature without ANY discomfort. The best way I can say it, feels like being barefoot, without being worried about damage happening to my feet. They're that comfortable, BOTH pairs, out of the box. When I got my 9"ers, I thought I better wear them for a day in the city before a real hike, since I didn't remember anything about the break-in period of my 6"ers. It didn't exist in my mind, the break-in period... Now I'll know forever: there's no such thing with these boots. Of course, my feet are warm, they sweat, but somehow it's never uncomfortable. Maybe wearing wool socks is part of the "WHY"... but then again, wool AND Thinsulate, should be "too much" - and it's not.
I can't tell you more than this.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-22-2009, 1:10 PM

Just ordered one of these bags:

http://www.valkyrietactical.com/serv...Assault/Detail

I know it's not a Maxpedition Falcon II, but I figured I would give it a try. If I end up using the bag a lot and it doesn't last I will get a maxpedition.

Old 04-22-2009, 5:25 PM

Looks decent to me.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 04-22-2009, 6:19 PM

i read this post like daily, and i notice no one has baby powder. if you live in the valley or its summer. man I NEED my baby powder
Old 04-22-2009, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Just ordered one of these bags:

http://www.valkyrietactical.com/serv...Assault/Detail

I know it's not a Maxpedition Falcon II, but I figured I would give it a try. If I end up using the bag a lot and it doesn't last I will get a maxpedition.
I ordered one just like from LA Police Gear, I think it was $30 - its a little smaller than I thought, but I'm pretty impressed by how well made it looks. I got one of their Bug Out Bags for my car as well, and a Jr BOB for my wife's car - they were around $20 and 10 respectively I think. I figure I should have something in the car with me all the time, just in case. First Aid, compass, paracord, flashlight, pocketknife, pepper spray, a couple of other tools and a light windbreaker. I need to get some flares and some glowsticks to complete the set up.
Old 04-22-2009, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyoates77 View Post
i read this post like daily, and i notice no one has baby powder. if you live in the valley or its summer. man I NEED my baby powder
I always used Gold Bond Medicated powder. Nothing better for the Desert.

Old 04-22-2009, 9:41 PM

I use the Max Falcon II and it is a real sturdy pack, but it is a medium size only 1950 cu in.
Did good during Firestorm 2007 and thru 21 days in Europe.
In another place someone suggested this one, a sandpiper. This is 3280 cu in.
http://www.campingsurvival.com/bugoutbagblack.html