Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-23-2012, 9:09 PM

People are funny .. Couple of years ago one of my flatlander friends said "If shtf me and mine are coming to your place." I asked what he was bringing besides 4 mouths and he said "guns but I don't have any ammo" LOL .. umm, NO!

Just went through the family thing this week end. The 2 step daughters said they were coming with their aggregate 6 kids. After all the family drama this week end if they show up I'm checking myself into the FEMA camp.
Old 12-23-2012, 9:13 PM

At least they're not eating your preps! We have a a family cabin wherein I've stockpiled considerable food. I have it in a couple Knaack boxes in the basement, separate from the other regular stored food. everyone knows it's MY stored food for emergencys, but peeps were pilfering anyway. Had to lock it up.. Good point, though about family, all the ones that roll their eyes at you now are gonna be the hungry ones with bad attitudes and their hands out at some point...
Old 12-24-2012, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

I have no relative anywhere near me. In Laws at best and they would be useless in a emergency...never really discussed my prepps they would have no reason to come over...but I have no problem saying "NO!" to them...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 12-24-2012, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetyme View Post
I think the "America" I live in is a lot different than the one you are referring to.
Well...you do live in Oakland.
Old 12-24-2012, 9:14 AM

My friends don't know I prep, but they do know I shoot. The running joke at the office is that they are all coming to my house if SHTF. I always tell them to come on down, by the time they realize, process, then believe that S really HTF, I will be long gone. I only share the prep side with one friend and close Family. They don't all have the space, but they contribute some $ to the cause. That said, I'm still looking for redundancy in the breeding stock category so the list is not closed yet...
Old 12-24-2012, 9:53 AM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel80 View Post
... my wife says "what about my sisters and her 3 daughters, I worry about them and she has no husband".
Harem !

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM

I only share my info with those I'm willing to share.

I'm unlike most of you, I would share with all my friends. But then again I'm just not friends with everyone.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM

I only share my info with those I'm willing to share.

I'm unlike most of you, I would share with all my friends. But then again I'm just not friends with everyone.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

most of my friends tell me they are coming to my place because i have guns. I tell them to bring the food, water, medical supplies, and ammo and they're more than welcome. Then i throw in, or i could show you which guns to buy so you can protect yourselves too. It usually works out. when it doesn't, i tell them i'm sailing to Fiji when SHTF so i wont be around to help.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-24-2012, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

One of the first dates I went on with my fiance we saw Zombie Land in the movies. After the movie she said if the zombie hordes take over that she will come to my house. I laughed and told her that she won't be needed.

We still laugh about it but she better get on the bandwagon or this joke is going to cease to be funny.
Old 12-24-2012, 3:07 PM

Default Yes but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Well...you do live in Oakland.
....I don't think you would be to surprised by how many rural communities are on the same parr if not worse than the inner city. Sure I'd rather take my chances in a rural community.

However, I was referring to the nature of people "Americans" in general.
Old 12-24-2012, 3:30 PM

Onetyme, pretty sure the murder and violent crime rate in Oakland is a bit higher than Tuolumne County.

You guys are worse than Stockton for Christs sake. Only rural place worse than Oakland is Afghanistan.
Old 12-24-2012, 3:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetyme View Post
I think the "America" I live in is a lot different than the one you are referring to.
I'm good and prepped, and so is my next door neighbor - but our neighbor across the street from us, and the old man that lives next to us - they aren't prepared for anything. How could I turn away the old man or my neighbors kids away if something were to happen? I couldn't, neither could my next door neighbor, so we started adding a little extra now to what we've got incase we have to feed them and protect them.

We would take care of them. THATS what humane people do.

Maybe its stupid, but that's how I roll.
Old 12-24-2012, 4:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4me View Post
A bunch of my friends like to joke about how they're coming to my house when the s*** gos down. I just tell them they better bring food, water and ammo.
What do you want to bet they would show up with a sandwich, one bottle of water, and a single box of .22 LR.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 12-24-2012, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
I'm good and prepped, and so is my next door neighbor - but our neighbor across the street from us, and the old man that lives next to us - they aren't prepared for anything. How could I turn away the old man or my neighbors kids away if something were to happen? I couldn't, neither could my next door neighbor, so we started adding a little extra now to what we've got incase we have to feed them and protect them.

We would take care of them. THATS what humane people do.

Maybe its stupid, but that's how I roll.
Yes but if the neighbors kid was a heroine addict would you feel the same way? What if it was your cousin or even your sibling? Humane people also know what's a lost cause. I believe people deserve a second a chance. I'm just saying I should not endanger me and mines to give someone that chance during a SHTF scenario.

I'll even go out on that limb of being a a-hole. No one should endanger their situation for a known problem.

Back to the op's scenario. We all see this every day. People who do not prep will want in. If there is no other solution but for you (general sense of the word) to take them in,evaluate & decide. However if there is a FEMA camp in the city....

Not every situation will merit such harsh decision. Some will.
Old 12-24-2012, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Gas, grass, or *** nobody rides for free. Or something like that.
Old 12-24-2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
Gas, grass, or *** nobody rides for free. Or something like that.
And for the women?...
Old 12-24-2012, 8:58 PM

A(S(S Gas or ammo nobody rides for free
Old 12-25-2012, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

It seems that some just like to "brag" about their preps to anybody that'll listen and post details on a public forum. This is the first thing not to do. Your circle of trusted people might need rethinking. To those that will accept strays into the protection you have built, I commend your morals. Give to the needy on your terms as much as you can. It's when others start making demands and threats because they know what and how much you have set aside that your survival is at risk. Someone may decide to sell you out for a share of your stuff. Desperate times will change people. Just free advise. Take it or leave it.

Sent with 2 cans & a long string.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-25-2012, 9:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cash, grass, or ***... no one rides for free...
Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbay View Post
Cash, grass, or ***... no one rides for free...
Threads about family members.... but hey, I won't judge
Old 12-26-2012, 4:56 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
Threads about family members.... but hey, I won't judge
Cousin's are family members... correct?
Old 12-26-2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaxian View Post
This is exactly why prep status should be shared only on a need to know basis.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
What is prepping?

Quote:
"How many more tragedies does it take before we do something,” he demanded. “How many more children have to die before this country realizes that No-Gun Zones create perfect locations for violence? You can not stop criminals and mad men with laws, you can only stop violence with the fear of armed victims."
-Alan Gottlieb
Old 12-26-2012, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntech View Post
What is prepping?
Taking frozen meat out of the freezer the night before to allow thorough time to thaw.
Old 12-26-2012, 5:43 PM

You tell them You have a job, you have money, you have the responsability to "PREPARE YOURSELVES" I cant prepare for you I dont have the finacial means to do that. You can help them to prepare and allocate finances on a monthly basis to help them be prepared if they are serious. I'm sure Noah seemed like an %#@$$%^ but when those doors closed to the Ark it was for good. He Prepared for 120 yrs while everyone laughed at him. Must have been a terrible thing that day to hear some of his friends pleading to be let in but he could not open those doors.

Last edited by DPC; 12-26-2012 at 5:47 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPC View Post
You tell them You have a job, you have money, you have the responsability to "PREPARE YOURSELVES" I cant prepare for you I dont have the finacial means to do that. You can help them to prepare and allocate finances on a monthly basis to help them be prepared if they are serious. I'm sure Noah seemed like an %#@$$%^ but when those doors closed to the Ark it was for good. He Prepared for 120 yrs while everyone laughed at him. Must have been a terrible thing that day to hear some of his friends pleading to be let in but he could not open those doors.
LOL..let's not let a tribal folklore/fable control how we treat fellow humans.
The Noah story is not historical.

Anyone who is hungry and in need can eat at my table; friends or strangers.

That's my choice.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-26-2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
...The Noah story is not historical.
But it says so in the Bible, so thinking is neither necessary nor encouraged - you know, using the brain that God gave you.

DPC, sometime for fun, figure out how big an ark would really need to be to hold two of everything. Also, explain how Noah obtained animals from distant continents such as Australia, North and South America, etc. You know, places that the human Bible writers knew nothing about so didn't have to explain away... Don't get me started...

Last edited by kb58; 12-26-2012 at 9:00 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 9:07 PM

Tell her she's free to come over, then plump her up in anticipation.

Plump cousins are the other white meat.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM

I have a firearm for each household. I will give them a water filter which is cheap, a knife, and a firearm with a box of ammo for that gun. After that they are on their own with regards to prepping. I have given them some basic tools and it is up to them to determine how they will live their life. I have done my part as a family member and if they were smart they would stay. The best chances for survival is to increase in numbers. You can't stay up all night long on watch patrol every night, you can't do this consistantly over time. So the more people you have the safer a person will be.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPC View Post

YES I asked her how about I show you how to prepp? Her response was she doesn't have time. she basically kept saying we are family and if SHTF we help each other.

If a family member can contribute or even atempts to prep i will welcome them. Lazy ones piss me off and i do not want to help. I wanted to know how to tell them (the lazy ones) no without looking like an @ss.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoman View Post
If a family member can contribute or even atempts to prep i will welcome them. Lazy ones piss me off and i do not want to help. I wanted to know how to tell them (the lazy ones) no without looking like an @ss.
There is no easy way. Just be an @ss, works for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM

I just had a discussion with a few family members recently. My wife and I discussed it at length and are now prepping for extra mouths to feed.

I have also given them each a list of basics of items and a small lecture on contributing to the "group" as a whole. if they show up and need my help I will help. I will not starve out my family to do it but I will tighten the belt to help them.

Illegitimi non carborundum

John 15:13

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM

I just had a discussion with a few family members recently. My wife and I discussed it at length and are now prepping for extra mouths to feed.

I have also given them each a list of basics of items and a small lecture on contributing to the "group" as a whole. if they show up and need my help I will help. I will not starve out my family to do it but I will tighten the belt to help them.

Illegitimi non carborundum

John 15:13

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoman View Post
What do you say to your family members when they find out you are a prepper and self invite themselfes to all your prepps? How do you break it to them without looking like an *******.
I tell them that I'm only stocking up on ammunition - since it doesn't spoil, so stop on by about a week after the SHTF, as I'll probably be needing a nice snack by then.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 AM
In Memoriam

Katrina provided some interesting lessons about prepping.

I recommend reading at least the first post in each of these three threads.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=153978

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=154894

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=156211

The author told two friends that they were welcome at his place, the problem was they each told two friends...

-- Michael
Old 12-27-2012, 7:34 AM
CGSSA Specialist
CGN Contributor

Well I guess they were too hungry to notice the open box of Rat Poison on the Shelf.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion View Post
This exact subject has been a running joke with my family and friends for the last several years. Last Christmas I turned the joke around on many of them. I gave as a gift a can of food, a p-38 can opener and a list. I told each one of them that the can represented all I could afford to give each of them if SHTF. The P-38 was a tool that would allow them to eat. The list would allow them to live. If you come to my house when SHTF I have already given you food and a tool and a list.
When the subject comes up now I ask them about the can, the tool and the list.
What have you done so that you can live?
I share with them various websites, pass along good deals, encourage them to be prepared. My conscious is clear, I have lead them to water.
^^^ This is fantastic! Too bad Christmas just passed. Oh well, I know what everyone's getting for their birthday this year!
Old 12-28-2012, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
^ exactly. However, it is hard to turn away good family. Just make them contribute or it is TS for them.
You mean the fan, we are TS, lol.

These would be hard choices to make. Definitely would make the decision more easy though if they were not contributing and happily sucking up your resources.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 12-28-2012, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
i say "you can come over if you have something to contribute"

whether that means bringing food, water, medical supplies, ammo, personal skill sets, etc.

if you're just gonna come over and sit on your rear hoping to be taken care of you can go elsewhere.
well said, personally, bring all your sh*t, i dont care-i'll rig something up for some reason. plus you might not know their true skill set in a time of emergency/survival or more so...medically
"You wont get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There's only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up and if you don't actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time...It's a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience."

-Ronald Reagan-
Old 12-28-2012, 5:28 PM

Tell no one about your prepping.
When SHTF occurs, invite all non-prepping family members to join you with whatever.
Dying together is better than having the minority survive.