Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 05-08-2013, 7:32 PM

Default My AR 5.56/.223 rifle build

Did a bit of browsing around as a n00b here, this looks like the right place to start this kind of thread (mods, please relocate if not).

After waiting from a few months back, my 80% lower showed up from a group buy I did with a few friends. This'll be my first gun build, and likely to be my only one for a little while (costs and other hobbies to sink $ into). After a good bit of discussion with my friends, I decided to go the 5.56/.223 hybrid featureless route.

Since a few of the parts started rolling in, I figured now would be a good time to start keeping track of the build, and share it with the rest of you.

So, let's start with the 'heart' of the gun.

The 80% lower is, as stated above, from a group buy a few friends did. The buy was done through Ares Armor. I'm currently on the look for somewhere to take care of the last 20%, definitely picked a bad time to be doing that what with the ATF scare and such, but I'll sort it out. Plans are to get it finished in a matte black with engraving (laser or physical) done, likely with my logo at left somewhere on it.

The next piece, one of two that showed up today, is a 6 pos buffer tube from BCM. I picked this up instead of a stock as I'm looking into getting one of Thordsen Customs' "FRS-15" grip / stocks.

Finally, the first piece of "oooooh" showed up. A extra long (~16.5") Lancer Systems carbon fiber free floating hand guard, with cooling slots and no rails. The decision to keep it 'clean' with no rails came from knowing the only attachments I'll be putting on the gun are the scope and potentially a bipod.

Currently, most 'everything else' for the gun is on order from Rock River Arms, including a 24" barrel (go big or go home kind of approach). About the only thing not on order from them is the bolt carrier group. The had them on "indefinite backorder", but a friend helped me source a nickel boron one from Parallax Tactical via their Facebook page.

Plans as far as the scope goes will likely be my getting another Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 with Accu-Range through ebay, as I'm really happy with the first one I got for my British .303 Sporterized.

As the rest of the goodies show up I'll post up images of them and whatever progress is being made.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:31 PM

Have fun building your rifle!!! Looks to be a good start
Old 05-09-2013, 6:20 PM

That handguard does look sexy

"We DID!! Who the **** invited you??"
Old 05-13-2013, 8:29 PM

Some stuff showed up from Ebay and Rock River Arms today. Ebay was a scope mount for the AR build, and RRA was buffer tube parts, trigger assembly, and gas return related items. Was really hoping for some of the larger assemblies (like the barrel so I can send it off to be fluted), but good to get some parts in.

RRA could really do with better customer communication. I had no way of knowing what parts were being shipped to me in this first batch, much less any idea when the rest of my order is showing up.