Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-22-2019, 1:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Frontline Episode: Supreme Revenge

Last night, PBS aired an episode of the program Frontline entitled "Supreme Revenge." The synopsis on their website is...

Quote:
Inside the no-holds-barred war for control of the Supreme Court. From Brett Kavanaugh to Robert Bork, an investigation of how a 30-year-old grievance transformed the court and turned confirmations into bitter, partisan conflicts.
You can watch the episode... Here.

The underlying story line focuses on Mitch McConnell (along with The Federalist Society), even though the segments largely highlight Bork, Thomas, Garland obstruction, and the influences behind Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. In that sense, it's an interesting look at the 'behind-the-scenes' politics behind the Supreme Court and how the 'balance' has been fought over/for in the last 30 years.

Interestingly, some of the interviews conducted and extensively edited for the program have been released on YouTube in longer, more complete formats...

There are several others; but, I'll let you look them up for yourselves.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Im guessing Frontline is not happy with the PROGUN justices !
Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
We don't know if they are progun yet.

John 14:6
Old 06-12-2019, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Great tapes. Thanks for posting them. Graham is always good for a few entertaining moments.
Old 06-14-2019, 8:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great viewing, thanks OP!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I watched it a few times. Very interesting and had I known when Scalia passed what I know now about McConnell, his stalling the Obama nomination would have come as no surprise. Nor would the Democrats behavior regarding Kavanaugh.

A 1 hr show can't cover everything. But I thought not discussing lowering confirmation from 60 to a simple majority, its origins and ramifications, should have been included. I was glad to see Senator Kennedy's remarks on the Senate floor, especially that sideways glance and smirk, attacking Judge Bork, acknowledged as the catalyst for cold blooded partisanship. The themes that run through the program - McConnell's patience seeking the best opportunity for revenge and the Democrats abhorrent, unprincipled and demonizing behavior whenever the balance of SCOTUS legal theory is swayed - were enlightening.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't even call anyone "pro-gun". Interpret the constition's intent. That's their job, or should be. Law of the land says shall not be infringed.
The "battle" is between those that do that and the activist legislate from the bench judges sent overwhelmingly by democrats for that very purpose to get around the law of the land.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-15-2019, 7:23 AM

There has been intermittent acknowledgement for some time that the borking of Bork had a negative ripple effect.

But don’t hold your breath waiting for a collective mea culpa from the left.

The left worships political power above all else. They take identity from it, and can never have enough of it. As a result, they see everyone as either a stepping stone (to more power) or an impediment.

Bork ended his book “Slouching Toward Gomorrah” without much hope for the future of this country. But he wrote that before his conversion.
Old 06-15-2019, 8:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
That would require these political cowards to take on any of the many gun cases stuck in the lower courts. They have not and I suspect they will not. It's easier to let the lower court decisions stand than it is to get these cowards to do their jobs.