Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 09-09-2013, 9:40 AM

Default Bad Experience at The Los Altos Rod and Gun Club

On Sunday September 1st my father in law and I went to The Los Altos Rod and Gun Club.
I have been to this range several times but my father in law never had.
For the last several months I had told him how nice this facility was.
I was really excited to share this range with him.

First we shot his 30-30 at the 50 yard range and had a good time.
I was hitting the target very well with the iron sites, both kneeling and standing.
Next we went up to the pistol range and shot a Beretta .40 and a Kimber .45.
One of the range masters gave me some feedback about a safety concern and I thanked him.

About 5 minutes later a range employee pulled my father in law and me aside.
We walked over to talk to him and he asked me if I was stoned and said that he was an expert in telling that at the range.
I was blown away since I have never smoked anything in my life and don't drink as well.
I told him this and he kept on staring at me like I was criminal.

“What cause do you have to make this allegation about me”, I asked?
He fumbled to come up with a lame answer that people smelled weed when we got out of the truck and people smelled it on me.
I said smell my shirt right now and tell me if you smell weed.
Of course he wouldn't do that because it would make him look more stupid than he already did.
He finally said you look tired.
I told him that I have two Autistic children and never get a good nights sleep and that this was a rare break that I got to do something fun.
He thanked me for being honest and left.
If there was such a strong assumption of an issue why did he let us go back and shoot?

Anyway we then walked back to our stations; I shot my remaining round and left.
As we drove home I was in disbelief at how I was singled out and made to feel like a criminal with no justification for this treatment.
Of course if any member of the staff sees me or anyone else acting different they need to investigate.
However making an accusation of criminal activity and then lying about your probable cause is a failure all the way around.
Keep in mind my father in law and I are both clean cut professional white collar workers and not Cheech and Chong.
Some of the staff at the range looked like some sloppy rent a cops mixed in with a sprinkle of homeless Vietnam Veterans. (God Bless them for their Service)

Both my father in law and I sent an email to someone who was one of the head people at the range a week ago. Unfortunately we received no response from him.
Please keep in mind that I have shot at Targetmaster, Reeds and Jackson Arms for years and have never had an issue.
My father in law has shot for 50 plus years and has won awards.
In my opinion they need to train their staff in the customer relation skills.
Unfortunately I don’t feel comfortable going back there. Going forward I will be using Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun Club which my best friend shoots at all the time.
He mentioned that staff is far more experienced, knowledgeable and professional there.

Best regards,

John Wilde

Last edited by WildeSide; 09-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: name removed as per request
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Amen!
Old 09-09-2013, 7:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I went there a couple of weeks ago and had a good experience. I actually thought the staff were nice and professional.
Old 09-09-2013, 7:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just a bad apple probably. Maybe it was his first time as a range master and he was just trying too hard. Ridiculous to make an accusation like that with no real evidence. Seems to me if he suspected drugs or alcohol he should have consulted with the other range masters first.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-09-2013, 7:48 PM

Just to be totally honest and open, this man was the only person that has ever been rude to me there.
There have been others that didn't look very professional and would fit the profile for illegal drug use far more so than myself, but nobody else has attacked my character of even looked at me funny.

I wish this person would have either left me alone or known how to talk to someone without being unprofessional.
If that was the case I could still enjoy this range with my family and friends.
Old 09-09-2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeSide View Post
... I was in disbelief at how I was singled out and made to feel like a criminal with no justification for this treatment.
OP - Sorry to hear about your bad experience. What you went through completely blows and it is very degrading.

No-one regardless of how they "look" or "dress" should have to go through that feeling of being stereotyped/profiled.

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."

Last edited by fishhoppa; 09-09-2013 at 9:10 PM.. Reason: added
Old 09-10-2013, 6:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't be so sensitive about the matter. Stuff happens.
Old 09-10-2013, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Don't be so sensitive about the matter. Stuff happens.
That is what I was thinking.

Keep a cool head, ask his name, and ask for his supervisor. Don't blame the facility for one bad apple. Most likely the supervisor or manager will comp you something.

On the other hand, the range masters at ASR have my admiration for all the crap they deal with.

"The Hillary Clinton school of failure."

Last edited by shovelon; 09-10-2013 at 6:57 AM..
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
That is what I was thinking.

Keep a cool head, ask his name, and ask for his supervisor. Don't blame the facility for one bad apple. Most likely the supervisor or manager will comp you something.

On the other hand, the range masters at ASR have my admiration for all the crap they deal with.
Actually I did wait a day to respond so I would avoid over reacting.
I emailed someone a professional note with no response for a week.
I have forward a link to this thread to their main email and let's see what they have to say.

My initial feeling was shock not anger.
When speaking to the staff including this person I referred to him as sir or mam.
That is the way I was brought up, I won't change.
I have over 20 years of customer service and operational experience, I know how to talk to a customer, this person had no clue...

Again, my issue is not that this person checked on me or anyone else.
My issue is that this person made up some "facts" to justify his allegation.

Last edited by WildeSide; 09-10-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Default you are way over reacting.

I have shot there many times, and for good reason - they are very safety conscious. If they suspected you of acting impaired, either due to drugs or sleep deprivation or any other reason, I would of course expect them to speak with you.

Their Range Officers (I do not know them all) are pretty cool and professional, and contrary to your statement I have never seen one that "fits the drug profile". Sounds like you are acting in a manner that is the same as what you are complying about.

I suggest you adjust your attitude, even if their initial discussion was incorrect (I am not sure that it was - from where I sit it is simply he said/he said).

Running a gun range is not an easy endeavor, and we are lucky to have any in this goofy state of ours. Give them a break, and the benefit of the doubt.

I will continue to shoot there and suggest others do the same.

Last edited by Jolter; 09-10-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolter View Post
I have shot there many times, and for good reason - they are very safety conscious. If they suspected you of acting impaired, either due to drugs or sleep deprivation or any other reason, I would of course expect them to speak with you.

Their Range Officers (I do not know them all) are pretty cool and professional, and contrary to your statement I have never seen one that "fits the drug profile". Sounds like you are acting in a manner that is the same as what you are complying about.

I suggest you adjust your attitude, even if their initial discussion was incorrect (I am not sure that it was - from where I sit it is simply he said/he said).

Running a gun range is not an easy endeavor, and we are lucky to have any in this goofy state of ours. Give them a break, and the benefit of the doubt.

It is not that hard to comprehend sir.

When I asked for proof of his allegation of drug use he lied.
He said that drugs were smelled in our vehicle.
There has never been any illegal drug use or smoking in that car or my body.
I am willing to take a test to prove that I am not a criminal.
That is the problem, not that he was investigating a concern.
I commend any staff member for following up a a potential safety issue.
In addition if he has such concerns why did he let me go back and shoot?
That doesn't seem safe or secure does it, since drugs were smelled on me and my father in law's vehicle according to him...

I was respectful to him and called him sir and spoke to several other staff members including a heavy set young man and a skinny elderly gentleman. (I like the older guy)

Ultimately this person lied to try and validate his suspicion and that is no different than someone planting evidence.
I am sorry that this is hard for you to understand.

I did not tell anyone else not to shoot there, I was giving my personal experience from a specific visit, which I thought this forum was for.

Again I have never had problems at Reeds, Jacksons, Targetmasters or Los Altos Hills before and have been shooting for 30 years. It is obviously my
problem that he lied...

Last edited by WildeSide; 09-10-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Hem..., how much they pay you? Just saying
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 PM

The person that I emailed last week responded today,that he was no longer in a head position at the club.
I have removed his name from my posts at his request and apologized for any inconvenience to him.

I will call and try to talk to an operations manager later in the week.
In addition I sent an email this morning to another address that should be valid. =)

Anyone that enjoys shooting there should continue to.
Unfortunately I won't feel comfortable going back unless they address my specific concern about this individual.

I am sorry for the tone of this thread, I realize that the community is in jeopardy especially in this state and I am not trying to ruin things for anyone.
However if someone questions your character and lies about you, I think most would agree you should stand up for yourself.

Last edited by WildeSide; 09-10-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARLANDO View Post
This is my first time shooting a 30-30 with iron sites at 50 yards.
I have a lot of improvement to get where I would like.
It was still a lot of fun though.

Maybe according the the employee the weed would help glaucoma and make me more accurate...LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.jpg (89.1 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by WildeSide; 09-10-2013 at 2:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 2:39 PM

"Some of the staff at the range looked like some sloppy rent a cops mixed in with a sprinkle of homeless Vietnam Veterans. (God Bless them for their Service)"

This had me rolling. What do you call this, a backhanded salute?
Old 09-10-2013, 3:09 PM
Honey Badger
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Their Range Officers (I do not know them all) are pretty cool and professional, and contrary to your statement I have never seen one that "fits the drug profile".
I have. On several occasions I've been there and have seen, "the type." Baggy pants, tats all over, mostly Latino but some white. I emphasized the term, "the type" because in all those instances, nothing happened. People just showed and spent their time shooting. The worst thing I've seen there was a dumb@55 white boy wearing a holster and shooting, "gangsta" style. (BTW - I'm white)Clothes were properly fitting jeans and a black t-shirt. He didn't look the type. First the RO spotted the holster and made him remove it. His group was monitored, from a distance, after that. Then the guy shooting next to me walked down to him and told him the sights were on top for a reason. lol

You had a bad experience. Once. Take a breather, let it go, and maybe give it one more chance. It's your call. If they offend you again, then take your cash elsewhere. Why punish the whole establishment for one dork?

Just my opinion.
Ryan
Old 09-10-2013, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Every range has a dude like that. If I quit going to every range or shop that I had a bad experience at, I'd never be able to shoot. Rack it up to a powertripper and move on.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 09-10-2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
"Some of the staff at the range looked like some sloppy rent a cops mixed in with a sprinkle of homeless Vietnam Veterans. (God Bless them for their Service)"

This had me rolling. What do you call this, a backhanded salute?
I want to actually apologize for this.
Although it is funny, it is mean spirited and shouldn't have been posted.
I don't want to try and make a point at the expense of others.
Old 09-10-2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamphyri13 View Post
I have. On several occasions I've been there and have seen, "the type." Baggy pants, tats all over, mostly Latino but some white. I emphasized the term, "the type" because in all those instances, nothing happened. People just showed and spent their time shooting. The worst thing I've seen there was a dumb@55 white boy wearing a holster and shooting, "gangsta" style. (BTW - I'm white)Clothes were properly fitting jeans and a black t-shirt. He didn't look the type. First the RO spotted the holster and made him remove it. His group was monitored, from a distance, after that. Then the guy shooting next to me walked down to him and told him the sights were on top for a reason. lol

You had a bad experience. Once. Take a breather, let it go, and maybe give it one more chance. It's your call. If they offend you again, then take your cash elsewhere. Why punish the whole establishment for one dork?

Just my opinion.
Ryan
Ryan,

Thanks for posting.
Old 09-10-2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Every range has a dude like that. If I quit going to every range or shop that I had a bad experience at, I'd never be able to shoot. Rack it up to a powertripper and move on.
I really appreciate this perspective.
Since I had never had a bad experience here or anywhere else, maybe it was just time...

With so many people singing the praises of this range, I am sure they will contact me and I can put this to bed.

Thank you for everyone that posted their experience and opinions.
This is a great board and I wish I would have found it sooner.
The next time I go shooting I want my only concern to be why there is no CZ inventory.
Old 09-11-2013, 7:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Why call everyone Sr he this is not the military and stop apologizing so much.You felt wronged and I think you were that guy made up smelling mj.
Also why do you keep saying it's criminal to smoke mj it's CA with a card it's legal for medical reasons.

"Some of the staff at the range looked like some sloppy rent a cops mixed in with a sprinkle of homeless Vietnam Veterans.
I love that line lol.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 09-11-2013, 9:07 AM

It isn't really surprising for me to read this story. In 25+ years of shooting at countless ranges Los Altos is the only one I have ever had a problem with the RSOs. This was 10 years ago, I haven't been back but it doesn't sound like much has changed.
Old 09-14-2013, 2:20 PM

Just to update the thread after 4 days, they still have not responded to my email.
I am disappointed but not surprised.
Happy shooting everyone and I hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 09-14-2013, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
Why call everyone Sr he this is not the military and stop apologizing so much.You felt wronged and I think you were that guy made up smelling mj.
Also why do you keep saying it's criminal to smoke mj it's CA with a card it's legal for medical reasons.

"Some of the staff at the range looked like some sloppy rent a cops mixed in with a sprinkle of homeless Vietnam Veterans.
I love that line lol.
I'm 52 years old and I call people sir or ma'am. Just the way I was raised, raised by a naval officer father and I am a veteran. Nothing wrong with using sir or ma'am.

Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.
Old 09-14-2013, 6:19 PM
Banned

Why didn't you tell him to go f himself???
Old 09-14-2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
Why didn't you tell him to go f himself???
I was in total shock, but regardless I would try to respect the
range and it's operators. I wish that feeling was mutual...
Old 09-14-2013, 8:36 PM

what was his name? they have on a name badge
Old 09-14-2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
what was his name? they have on a name badge
Good question, I was making eye contact with him so I am not sure.
30-40s WM with an average build, short hair, I think he had a goatee too but
I have been super busy at work and with my kids so I can't be 100% sure anymore. He seemed really intense...
Old 09-15-2013, 8:56 AM

BTW- I think I know what his name is but, unlike him I don't want to make an accusation unless I am 100% sure...
Old 09-15-2013, 9:44 AM

I was a little disappointed that they never returned my email so I just called and spoke to Beth the Office Manager.
I explained to her my concern about my last experience at the range.
She was very professional and was very interested in the safety of all her guests.
I explained to her that I had no issue with the official talking to me and that my only concern was the stating the smell of drugs came from us.
She mentioned that he let you go back to shoot so he obviously believed you.
We agreed that at that point it would have been better for him to apologize.

Then I brought up that if he really did smell drugs (which I don't think he ever did) that someone at the range was under the influence and shooting while he was talking to me.
Later I described the officer and she said my description matched a couple people and that she would look up the records for that day and find out for sure who it was.
I asked her to please tell this person thanks for doing their best in trying to make the range safe, but how I wish they would have handled my situation a little more respectfully.

The case is closed for me, happy and safe shooting my friends.
Old 09-17-2013, 4:45 PM

For anyone that was interested, I went to Livermore today and had a great time:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post12339403
Old 09-17-2013, 5:26 PM
Honey Badger
CGN Contributor

My friend and I are going to LAR&G this Saturday if you'd like someone to shoot near. (I can't say with because who knows how crowded it will be)
Ryan
Old 09-17-2013, 5:33 PM

You stoner!!!! Jusy kidding....
I shot regularly at LAGC when I lived in Santa Cruz. For the most part, the RSO's there are knowledgeable and courteous, but very focused on the range rules.
The part I have a hard time understanding, particularly since they are so safety minded, is why you were initially allowed to shoot, if they smelled it from the vehicle when you arrived. There wete one or two RSO's who I generally avoided by switching lines if I could. If they were working 100 yd, I'd shoot 50 to start and visa versa.

"Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers
Old 09-17-2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamphyri13 View Post
My friend and I are going to LAR&G this Saturday if you'd like someone to shoot near. (I can't say with because who knows how crowded it will be)
Ryan
Thanks Ryan, if I can go I will send you a PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtonhouse View Post
You stoner!!!! Jusy kidding....
I shot regularly at LAGC when I lived in Santa Cruz. For the most part, the RSO's there are knowledgeable and courteous, but very focused on the range rules.
The part I have a hard time understanding, particularly since they are so safety minded, is why you were initially allowed to shoot, if they smelled it from the vehicle when you arrived. There wete one or two RSO's who I generally avoided by switching lines if I could. If they were working 100 yd, I'd shoot 50 to start and visa versa.
I am actually having a little fun with this now.
As you drive up to Livermore there is a sign saying no alcohol at the range.
I started laughing and told my friend the sign didn't say anything about weed...
I am tired of being upset so I am just making jokes about it now.
Old 09-17-2013, 6:46 PM
Banned

that sucks, but if people said they smelled u and you looked like it it doesn't hurt them to ask. after all, they are there to make sure everyone is safe. obviously there was some concern on their behalf. don't take it to the heart man
Old 09-17-2013, 6:57 PM

Any range has to C their A.. If someone said something to an RSO about suspecting you of being stoned, if the RSO even heard someone say they suspected you of being stoned, the range officer would have to ask you, then determine if you were impaired or not.. if you didn't get kicked out, and they didn't press the issue, why do you need to? Isn't it a good thing that Range Safety Officers are covering their arses, and yours, by making sure everyone is safe to shoot? Sure it sucks to be falsely accused, sucks worse to get shot by some moron that isn't safe...
Old 09-17-2013, 7:13 PM

Members, I am moving on, I said what I had to say.
Today I went to a different range and acted and dressed the same and had no issues.
In addition the staff was friendlier and more professional.
End of Story.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Calguns Addict

hilarious. When I clicked on the thread I was thinking "well, im gussing he wont fault the range facilities, but rather the RO's and their really weird behavior."

Sure enough.....

This is one of a couple reasons why Metcalf is still the best range in the Bay Area south of Oakland. (been to chabot but never livermore. Been to every outdoor range in the south bay)

The really sad thing is Los Altos is #2, EVEN DESPITE the RO's I wish would leave me alone.

--------

I actually enjoy chatting with the RO's at metcalf. Good people, every last one of them. I like feeling "at home" there. I like the clientele. I like making friends there. Los Altos? I don't want to talk to the RO's, I don't want to talk to the people that shoot there. I want to be left alone to do my own thing. There is nothing about that range that makes me want to stay longer than needed to get my own jollies out of the shooting day.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-27-2013 at 12:37 PM..