Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-03-2018, 4:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I believe the owners of overpriced status symbols such as a $300-$1000 iPhone, a >$750 Mac, 10" iPads, or those driving status symbols (including truck/SUV's, that not often full of hardware for work) are the real dumbbells...
Including those who can't WiFi tether for free on AT&T cell service.
Can you show us on the doll where the Apple hurt you?
Old 10-03-2018, 5:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Can you show us on the doll where the Apple hurt you?
<Doesn't point to wallet... then hands over tissue.>

Now please point to where Yukon Cornelius hurt your feels.

Last edited by the86d; 10-03-2018 at 5:21 AM..
Old 10-03-2018, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
<Doesn't point to wallet... then hands over tissue.>

Now please point to where Yukon Cornelius hurt your feels.
Save your tissue for the next time you can't recover stuff from your devices. Or as metal prices fall below your pain threshold while not providing anything to your wallet.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Savings via PMs have only gone over my pain threshold (BUY LOW), and pulling data off SDcards from my devices has been as simple as a photorec application. Daughter's cat pics are not worth more than the $5 to drop in a digitizer.
Old 10-03-2018, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I'll just leave this here for the fruit haters.

5 year (about the same as this thread) & 20 year AAPL vs gold & google.

z30897c0az3d2a6c8f73fa4b46b062f7f20d63ee42.jpg

z34897d0azf1b188efcef14de8ab356e72cd8ec1a0.jpg

Guess which one is at the bottom? Who's wallet is happy? The heavy one, or the one kept on iOS?

Now, I've written this here before. There's nothing wrong with owning a little metal. Diversification is key. But if you're young and stuffing lots money into gold and the like, man, I'd recommend you reconsider. That's one hell of a flat line above.
Old 10-04-2018, 5:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
5 year (about the same as this thread) & 20 year AAPL vs gold & google.
Guess which one is at the bottom? Who's wallet is happy? The heavy one, or the one kept on iOS?

Now, I've written this here before. There's nothing wrong with owning a little metal. Diversification is key. But if you're young and stuffing lots money into gold and the like, man, I'd recommend you reconsider. That's one hell of a flat line above.
I don't think many here are dropping more into metals than an IRA, 401k, or ROTH 401k/IRA combined (up to 8% [MAX ] matched at 50%, where I work). Backups and diversification is where most of us seem to be here.

A phone isn't in investment, it's disposable in the end. I even stopped paying recurrent insurance fees with my provider when I saw how little I can replace w/a NIB phone for, and I haven't cracked a screen on any of MY phones yet. However, I have kids that like to do this to theirs, apparently. So this is one MORE reason for me NOT to buy something priced over 200% MORE at a bare minimum (NIB), for a lower quality cam, less CPU/GPU, smaller screen, less RAM, and no removable MicroSD (which are dirt-cheap now).
Old 10-04-2018, 6:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don’t remember anyone suggesting that electronic devices were an investment. Just another tool or toy.
Old 10-06-2018, 5:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Faster toys (more-current tech), with more features, better pics due to better cameras, all for 1/3 the price is better in my book, more cash, more toys for the same price, AND a stack...

Last edited by the86d; 10-06-2018 at 6:33 AM..
Old 10-06-2018, 9:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Faster toys (more-current tech), with more features, better pics due to better cameras, all for 1/3 the price is better in my book, more cash, more toys for the same price, AND a stack...
Burn your straw man. Stop conflating.
Old 10-09-2018, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Burn your straw man. Stop conflating.
Sorry, but speed, specs and price are actual facts, not opinions, or feels.

I don't buy the marketing-wank, as paying 3x as much for lesser specs is illogical, unless you are into paying for status-symbol logos, which is why almost all iPhruity cases have a window to show the Apple logo.

Last edited by the86d; 10-09-2018 at 5:34 AM..
Old 10-09-2018, 8:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sorry, but speed, specs and price are actual facts, not opinions, or feels.

I don't buy the marketing-wank, as paying 3x as much for lesser specs is illogical, unless you are into paying for status-symbol logos, which is why almost all iPhruity cases have a window to show the Apple logo.
Again, spending disposable income and investing are different.

Go back to the charts I posted. Investing in Apple would have provided you enough money for as many toys as you want. Gold? Not so much.
Old 10-09-2018, 8:45 AM

Quote:

Go back to the charts I posted. Investing in Apple would have provided you enough money for as many toys as you want. Gold? Not so much.
Hindsight is 20/20. Investing in google, apple, microsoft, amazon, walmart, bitcoin, etc. You can't always say that looking forward.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawStar View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Investing in google, apple, microsoft, amazon, walmart, bitcoin, etc. You can't always say that looking forward.
Absolutely correct. Just having a little fun with an Apple hater.
Old 10-09-2018, 5:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Absolutely correct. Just having a little fun with an Apple hater.
MOST people don't consider a smartphone cost disposable, but a requirement for information at one's fingertips.
I see it as cheaper & faster access to the same info, BETTER pix of memories w/higher quality pix, AND more (w/a 50% MATCH) in a 401k/IRA +ROTH (taxes only going to go up?) with a family of 4.
(Drawback of a 16MP phone is the size of the images, GOSH!)
One will only have a limited dollar amount in their hands during their limited time on this earth, and 300% for a lesser product, is still illogical (200% illogical, via just basic math).

My father LOVED Apple stock, day trading,...
until he didn't, when he lost, and I laughed, since he is retired now (as he is living off of it now).

I haven't seen belangp's vids in my feed recently, so I came skimmed across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkeMqUNw87c

Last edited by the86d; 10-09-2018 at 5:39 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
MOST people don't consider a smartphone cost disposable, but a requirement for information at one's fingertips.
I see it as cheaper & faster access to the same info, BETTER pix of memories w/higher quality pix, AND more (w/a 50% MATCH) in a 401k/IRA +ROTH (taxes only going to go up?) with a family of 4.
(Drawback of a 16MP phone is the size of the images, GOSH!)
One will only have a limited dollar amount in their hands during their limited time on this earth, and 300% for a lesser product, is still illogical (200% illogical, via just basic math).

My father LOVED Apple stock, day trading,...
until he didn't, when he lost, and I laughed, since he is retired now (as he is living off of it now).

I haven't seen belangp's vids in my feed recently, so I came skimmed across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkeMqUNw87c
OK Spock,

Iím not most people. I donít day trade. Nor do I live in a third world country. Smartphones, TVs, computers etc are in fact disposable and should be consumed with like income. ((Business use excepted. Many other considerations there)

Your dad surely loved being mocked by his know it all son though.
Old 10-10-2018, 5:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OK Spock,

I’m not most people. I don’t day trade. Nor do I live in a third world country. Smartphones, TVs, computers etc are in fact disposable and should be consumed with like income. ((Business use excepted. Many other considerations there)

Your dad surely loved being mocked by his know it all son though.
iPhone/iPad/Mac OSuX=Buying high
You can just drop 200%+ on disposables, for the logo.
If it makes you feel good, have at it.

Since we will all only have a limited amount of money made from our working years, I'll drop that >200% I'm saving via non-Apple products in stores of wealth (especially at 8+ year lows, but only one type, as the ratio is not to my liking), preps, better "current-tech." (I just read yesterday that my phone supports up to a 2TB MicroSD, and removable flash is CHEAP) and more in the 401K & Roth (+50% match).

Last edited by the86d; 10-10-2018 at 5:31 AM..
Old 10-13-2018, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Back On-topic: Over the last 5 years, I noticed that AG drops between Nov-Jan.

It appears it is already starting:

Which tells me it is going to go down, yet again?

Last edited by the86d; 10-13-2018 at 12:08 PM..
Old 10-19-2018, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, checking into Zombucks prices on eBay, the one I own the most of is selling for about 91% over what I paid...
I don't want to sell mine, but after eBay fees and shipping it looks like one can still bank 48+% profit flipping them with ~3 years holding...

Who would have thunk?

I think I might have to jump on some of the Provident Egyptian series for set-flips, then grab some cheap 5-10oz bars with the profits (or just keep a set for virtually-free).

Last edited by the86d; 10-20-2018 at 7:39 AM..
Old 10-22-2018, 4:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Yesterday, I sniped some Zombucks and a Silver shield, where somebody probably took a loss (based on historical premiums and spot when they dropped on Provident, and SS), either the seller to the coin-shop auctioneer, or the one who sold it to them.

Going OT for a moment, well it is typical for this thread to go into retirement, and diversification anyway...
Where do most of the people here, more finance-savvy than I am, stand on a portion of 401k into a 401k-ROTH instead?

I switched a portion of my 401k I was already allocating to dropping in a 401k-ROTH, as I can't see taxes going down, only up, with pinkos in this state anyway. One can't pull from ROTH until 59.5, but as long as it has been there for 4-5 years.
Old 10-25-2018, 4:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Looks like it is on... everywhere.

Old 10-26-2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Yesterday, I sniped some Zombucks and a Silver shield, where somebody probably took a loss (based on historical premiums and spot when they dropped on Provident, and SS), either the seller to the coin-shop auctioneer, or the one who sold it to them.

Going OT for a moment, well it is typical for this thread to go into retirement, and diversification anyway...

Where do most of the people here, more finance-savvy than I am, stand on a portion of 401k into a 401k-ROTH instead?

I switched a portion of my 401k I was already allocating to dropping in a 401k-ROTH, as I can't see taxes going down, only up, with pinkos in this state anyway. One can't pull from ROTH until 59.5, but as long as it has been there for 4-5 years.

I am going with 50-50. Will see how taxes work out this year and adjust from there. I am no financial wizard, more of just a hedge my bets strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2018, 12:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh well, I always buy silver rounds for stocking stuffers at Christmas.
They're popular.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM

Silver down to $14.04
Gold at $1202.79
Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

13.99-14.00 right now for AG...
BUY BUY BYE!
:-)