Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

I did try this when the thread was originally posted. It does work well enough. But the time and effort does not really make sense to me when the store bought targets are not that expensive. The store bought targets usually have pasties that you can use to cover holes so you can get a lot of use out of them. These DIY targets are good if you want a very large target or custom shapes.
Old 07-18-2018, 3:19 PM

Very cool.

I wonder whether you could substitute something like clingfilm or other thin sheeting (and maybe light glue) for packing tape, since taping many large targets seems time-consuming.

Basically, the tape is to hold the black paint and be torn away by the bullet so you can see the pink. So you want a sheet that tears pretty easily, but doesn't stretch much. So clingfilm is probably a bad choice.

If packing tape works, a roll of cellophane wrap like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/Adorox-Inch-C...dp/B0170H8TL2/

However, that roll is 1ml thick (i.e. 0.001"), whereas packing tape is about 3ml thick. Dunno how much difference that would make.

Alternatively, some carpet tape like this might also work:

https://www.amazon.com/PWR-Protector...dp/B06W5567D5/

It's basically like giant clear plastic tape, and it's 3ml thick, although I've never used carpet tape so I dunno if it would work properly.
Old 07-18-2018, 4:54 PM

9Ē magic marker cross-hatched, white paper plates, alot of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 9:26 PM

Great idea, thanks for sharing! It must be too late for my brain to engage...what purpose does the packing tape serve? Does it aid in the flaking of the paint?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSierraDrifter View Post
Great idea, thanks for sharing! It must be too late for my brain to engage...what purpose does the packing tape serve? Does it aid in the flaking of the paint?
Yes. If you sprayed flat black over the poster board it would not flake very much as the paint would be bonded quite well to the paper poster.

The tape is glossy and has a weaker bond to the spray paint so it chips off from bullet impact.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
Very cool.

I wonder whether you could substitute something like clingfilm or other thin sheeting (and maybe light glue) for packing tape, since taping many large targets seems time-consuming.

Basically, the tape is to hold the black paint and be torn away by the bullet so you can see the pink. So you want a sheet that tears pretty easily, but doesn't stretch much. So clingfilm is probably a bad choice.

If packing tape works, a roll of cellophane wrap like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/Adorox-Inch-C...dp/B0170H8TL2/

However, that roll is 1ml thick (i.e. 0.001"), whereas packing tape is about 3ml thick. Dunno how much difference that would make.

Alternatively, some carpet tape like this might also work:

https://www.amazon.com/PWR-Protector...dp/B06W5567D5/

It's basically like giant clear plastic tape, and it's 3ml thick, although I've never used carpet tape so I dunno if it would work properly.

The tape is the weakest link. Itís adhesive side readily sticks to the poster but the spray paint bond to the glossy non sticky side of tape is weak and thatís what you want. Simply spray back over your hits and as long as you donít go through the same hole it will reflake. 1mil or 3 mil I donít think matters. You want a glossy tape surface that is a semi weak bond. Enough to hold the paint but weak enough to break off from bullet impact.

These posters are really helpful for distance shooting as itís hard to see impact points and shoot n see targets thst are 2ftx3ft would be very expensive.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 PM

Nice dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

How well does this survive being driven to the range in a bumpy truck?
Old 07-19-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
How well does this survive being driven to the range in a bumpy truck?
I get little scuffs when I transport but simply bring a can of flat black and spray prior to shooting. Flat black dries pretty fast in 106 degree weather.

Youíll also want a can of white or any of the 2 colors you used on the board. Flat dries faster than any other sheen since it has a larger exposed surface area than gloss finishes.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quality post! Thanks OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-20-2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
You want a glossy tape surface that is a semi weak bond. Enough to hold the paint but weak enough to break off from bullet impact.
I suppose I'll have to actually try it to see, but I'm not sure there's anything special about the tape surface.

I did a bit of research, and it looks like in general if you want to paint on any plastic, and especially soft, flexy plastic, you have to worry about flaking if it's subjected to any kind of force that would flex it (like being shot). There are ways to mitigate this (primer, using latex or acrylic paint instead of oil), which we basically just want to reverse.

Packing tape is polypropylene, whereas this carpet tape is probably polyethylene, but I don't know how much difference that makes. Notably, packing tape adhesive is usually acrylic-based. I'd be interested to know what kind of spraypaint you use.
Old 07-20-2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
Yes. If you sprayed flat black over the poster board it would not flake very much as the paint would be bonded quite well to the paper poster.

The tape is glossy and has a weaker bond to the spray paint so it chips off from bullet impact.
Johnsons floor wax does work! If the paint doesn't flake off, you didn't apply enough wax. I found it best to use 2 coats. One light coat rubbed in, to seal the paper as it is porous, and then a thick top coat. Do not wipe off like you would a wood floor.
I find this method works very well and is probably cheaper/easier than the tape.
Once dry, the targets are fairly durable.
I did find that 1 can of gloss black that I had on hand wouldn't stick, but the flat did.
Lots of variables and different release agents. The trick is to get something that works well and is cheap and easy.