Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 PM

Yes I do, should have signed up when I was 18.
Old 12-01-2009, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

You know what they should have? A full on reserve program where you are trained as a sodlier / marine in some sort of combat MOS where you do the one weekend a month / two weeks a year but are guaranteed not to deploy UNLESS there is a matter which threatens the CONUS or one of it's possessions directly.

I bet you tons of people for whom deployment would be a life shattering experience would join. But is has to be full on combat oriented not like the Cal state military reserve.

I'm not looking to avoid deployment due to fear or anything, it's just that since the military is accepting people up until the age of 42, they need to realize that once you get into your mid to late thirties you kinda have your **** sorted out and kids / mortgage / lifestyle and bills that need to be paid.

Yet so many of us want to serve and do something combat oriented, not simply fly a desk or go fight forest fires.
Old 12-01-2009, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Director View Post
You know what they should have? A full on reserve program where you are trained as a sodlier / marine in some sort of combat MOS where you do the one weekend a month / two weeks a year but are guaranteed not to deploy UNLESS there is a matter which threatens the CONUS or one of it's possessions directly.

I bet you tons of people for whom deployment would be a life shattering experience would join. But is has to be full on combat oriented not like the Cal state military reserve.

I'm not looking to avoid deployment due to fear or anything, it's just that since the military is accepting people up until the age of 42, they need to realize that once you get into your mid to late thirties you kinda have your **** sorted out and kids / mortgage / lifestyle and bills that need to be paid.

Yet so many of us want to serve and do something combat oriented, not simply fly a desk or go fight forest fires.
You want to do something combat oriented...but do not want to deploy?

Not to sound like a Richard Cranium, but what use would you be?

A warrior who cannot or will not deploy is useless.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 12-01-2009, 8:31 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Every now and then I wish I would have joined some branch of the military or even perhaps law enforcement.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 12-01-2009, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post

I knew I was going to get some sort of flame from this. I suppose you're right.
Old 12-01-2009, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I knew I was going to get some sort of flame from this. I suppose you're right.
It wasn't meant as a flame, I just wanted to point out the contradiction in your post.

Deployments can suck. Leaving your family and life behind, losing a year or more each time, etc. sucks, but it is what we do as Soldiers.

My wife and I have been married roughly 4 1/2 years, I have been deployed for over 2 years of that time.

But it is part of the committment you make to sacrafice so that others don't have to.

I have included the Soldier's Creed/Warrior Ethos below, check out the italicized and bolded portions.

Quote:

I am an American Soldier.

I am a Warrior and a member of a team.

I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.

I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.
Quote:
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/Pages/default.aspx
The mission of the California State Military Reserve, as recognized in National Guard Regulation 10-4, is to provide an adequately trained and organized State military reserve force under the exclusive control of the Governor. The CSMR is meant to be capable of accomplishing those State emergency responsibilities normally assigned to the National Guard, when the Guard is federalized or otherwise not available.

This group is volunteer not paid. Many of the people I knew that belonged to it were older retired or former soldiers.
Old 12-01-2009, 4:39 PM

It's kind of funny - I was going to go into National Guard in '02, but figured my boss might can me if I told him I'll be gone for a couple of months of basic and AIT. Guess what - they canned me any way about 6 month later.
Old 12-01-2009, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It wasn't meant as a flame, I just wanted to point out the contradiction in your post.

Deployments can suck. Leaving your family and life behind, losing a year or more each time, etc. sucks, but it is what we do as Soldiers.

My wife and I have been married roughly 4 1/2 years, I have been deployed for over 2 years of that time.

But it is part of the committment you make to sacrafice so that others don't have to.

I have included the Soldier's Creed/Warrior Ethos below, check out the italicized and bolded portions.
You're right. That's the whole point. Thanks for your service, I really enjoyed your threads when you were deployed (ask a deployed soldier anything)!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 7:18 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:

I understand what Director was saying, and I have to agree with it. I think more people would be willing to serve if they knew that their lives would not be spent at the whim of a politician looking for better poll numbers rather truly defending against a threat to this country.
Old 12-01-2009, 7:23 PM

It was 1978, I was barely 18, full time employed, and a baby already on the way and decided to sign up. During the physical, a doctor scolded me for not handing him my urine cup correctly. He told me I must be a loser since I was joining the military. At that moment I realized I wasn't ready. I still look back and think what my life may have been like if I would have kept my mouth shut.
Well, my oldest son is stationed at Camp Pendleton and my youngest is planning on enlisting after college, so I guess I didn't do too badly for dropping out.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

OP, Im kind of in your situation. Mom from another country, tight family-first type of life. She has Lupus and is just in overall not good health. Shes in pain 24/7 and cant handle stress and worries about everything (likely caused the Lupus, sure as hell keeps it going). Im only 20 and I feel like I should have just gone against my family's wishes 2 years ago. The thought of joining has been coming up in my mind a lot lately. It just feels like thats what I need to do. Ive felt that all my life, yet I still havent joined.

Any of you guys in the services that are/were in similar situations?

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I understand what Director was saying, and I have to agree with it. I think more people would be willing to serve if they knew that their lives would not be spent at the whim of a politician looking for better poll numbers rather truly defending against a threat to this country.
Who are you to decide?

You can't pick and choose when you serve.
Quote:
Old 12-02-2009, 1:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
OP, Im kind of in your situation. Mom from another country, tight family-first type of life. She has Lupus and is just in overall not good health. Shes in pain 24/7 and cant handle stress and worries about everything (likely caused the Lupus, sure as hell keeps it going). Im only 20 and I feel like I should have just gone against my family's wishes 2 years ago. The thought of joining has been coming up in my mind a lot lately. It just feels like thats what I need to do. Ive felt that all my life, yet I still havent joined.

Guilt is a powerful thing. So is the love for your Mom. Only you can decide what will fit you. My dad felt like I turned my back on the family. Growing up means making decisions that aren't comfortable or in keeping with family plans for you. Will you regret joining? Sure, at times. Will you feel like you missed something if you don't? Always. The things I learned, the places I went to in the service could never have happened had I stayed at home.
Old 12-02-2009, 1:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I don't regret not staying in. I just miss it sometimes, probably because it's far enough removed in time by now.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-02-2009, 1:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:

It's called a militia.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-02-2009, 2:17 AM
Calguns Addict

If you regret it, that's fine. Doing something about it is all that matters. Not only do you prove your self worth to yourself but to your country as well. Not every man can make the commitment to his country in the same way. Be proud of what you've done and strive to do more than those above you.
Quote:
Old 12-02-2009, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post

My situation wasn't as drastic as yours but similar to an extent.

Growing up I always wanted to join the army but my mom always told me she would disown me if I joined. January of this year I was talking to my wife (back then we weren't married) and I convinced her it was a good idea. I decided that was what was best for me and my family and told my mom that. She respected my decision and overtime realized it was a good decision for me.

I am 22 and married and I had a job making good money and I was going to be promoted even farther in the very near future. I make much less than I did before I came in the army. We had to sell a lot of my things and change our lifestyle a little. I have been away from my wife for 6 months. We were married just long enough to have our honeymoon before I left for basic. Now, we are going to be stationed in Hawaii and I am pretty much guaranteed to be deployed in the first 3 or 4 months of my being there. It is not an easy decision to make but to me it is the right one.

I am still in training but I love it. There is a strong bond that grows between us. Even if you don't really like your battle buddies, you will do anything for them. I have already gotten to do many things that I would have never gotten to do if I stayed a civilian.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Theblood, thank you and your wife for your service and sacrifice. Most people don't know what is given up when a person joins the military. It's not over after 8 hours. You go where they say, the family is second to your mission of being military. Wives' sacrifice so much, the moving, being away from their family and friends. Having to take care of everything when their husband is away. Not having someone to lean on when their loved one is deployed. Being a military wife or husband is not easy, they truly are a special breed. My mom was an army wife for 31 years, never wavered, never left my dad, and took care of business when he was away. My wife did this as well, for 6 years. Make sure your wife knows how really special she is and the contribution she is making for You and America.
Old 12-02-2009, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Theblood, thank you and your wife for your service and sacrifice. Most people don't know what is given up when a person joins the military. It's not over after 8 hours. You go where they say, the family is second to your mission of being military. Wives' sacrifice so much, the moving, being away from their family and friends. Having to take care of everything when their husband is away. Not having someone to lean on when their loved one is deployed. Being a military wife or husband is not easy, they truly are a special breed. My mom was an army wife for 31 years, never wavered, never left my dad, and took care of business when he was away. My wife did this as well, for 6 years. Make sure your wife knows how really special she is and the contribution she is making for You and America.
Thank you. I have hardly done anything yet though. I thank my wife often for what she does. Without her, I would be lost in this whole adventure. Thank you to you and your family.
Old 12-06-2009, 2:29 PM

I have always regreted not joining the military. Instead of joining the military I played JC football and then entered the field of law enforcement at age 21 (police academy, police at age 22 and then deputy at age 23). Despite the fact that I have spent my entire adult life in public service, I still feel a need to serve my county.

In order to fullfill that need, at the age of 36 (almost 37), I am in the process of joining the Army National Guard (OCS program). I contacted a recruiter in April of this year, I have met some hurdles along the way (for some reason I'm having trouble with a waiver for my Lasik eye surgery). I have provided all the paperwork, but there always seems to be more. My wife has been very supportive (although she's not crazy about the possibliity of deployment in the future).

I have a great amount of respect for those who are currently serving or who have served. I am looking forward to being sworn in and obtaining a date for basic training.
Old 12-06-2009, 3:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
My situation wasn't as drastic as yours but similar to an extent.

Growing up I always wanted to join the army but my mom always told me she would disown me if I joined. January of this year I was talking to my wife (back then we weren't married) and I convinced her it was a good idea. I decided that was what was best for me and my family and told my mom that. She respected my decision and overtime realized it was a good decision for me.

I am 22 and married and I had a job making good money and I was going to be promoted even farther in the very near future. I make much less than I did before I came in the army. We had to sell a lot of my things and change our lifestyle a little. I have been away from my wife for 6 months. We were married just long enough to have our honeymoon before I left for basic. Now, we are going to be stationed in Hawaii and I am pretty much guaranteed to be deployed in the first 3 or 4 months of my being there. It is not an easy decision to make but to me it is the right one.

I am still in training but I love it. There is a strong bond that grows between us. Even if you don't really like your battle buddies, you will do anything for them. I have already gotten to do many things that I would have never gotten to do if I stayed a civilian.
You being assigned to the 25th ID?
Quote:
Old 12-06-2009, 3:15 PM

Quote:
You being assigned to the 25th ID?
Roger. Not sure which unit though. I will have my orders after holiday block leave.
Old 12-06-2009, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryJames View Post
I have met some hurdles along the way (for some reason I'm having trouble with a waiver for my Lasik eye surgery).
Weird....why would that be a problem?
Old 12-06-2009, 4:35 PM

I’ve always wanted to join, I was almost certain I was going to right out of high school. My parents didn’t agree with it as they grew up in Vietnam during the war. I am 21 currently and that would have almost guaranteed me being deployed. It came down to senior year of high school I was almost positive I wanted to join the marines, but my mom was diagnosed with leukemia. My dad wasn’t all there emotionally my oldest brother was not home and that left my younger sister and I. There was no way I was going to join with things so bad at home.

After three years in college and meeting people who served more than half told me it is not a good Idea to join, but the thought still lurks in my mind.
Old 12-06-2009, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko1featherweigh View Post
I’ve always wanted to join, I was almost certain I was going to right out of high school. My parents didn’t agree with it as they grew up in Vietnam during the war. I am 21 currently and that would have almost guaranteed me being deployed. It came down to senior year of high school I was almost positive I wanted to join the marines, but my mom was diagnosed with leukemia. My dad wasn’t all there emotionally my oldest brother was not home and that left my younger sister and I. There was no way I was going to join with things so bad at home.

After three years in college and meeting people who served more than half told me it is not a good Idea to join, but the thought still lurks in my mind.
I say do it!!!!! Look at my earlier post on here if you haven't yet.

I marched in a Christmas parade today in a town in South Carolina and it was awesome. There was 20 army 10 navy,marines, and airforce, making a total of 50. Each person carried a different states flag as we marched. The way people cheered and looked at us helped to reassure me that I am doing something far greater than I ever could have imagined.

There was a group of Civil War re-enactors(sp?) there and as our bus was pulling away they all fired their muskets in the air and saluted us. All the little kids waved and wished us a Marry Christmas also. It was very cool.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM

The Director,

I'm not sure why the Lasik is causing problems. At first I was told by the recruiter that it as long as the surgery was performed at least six months ago I would be good to go. However, he back tracked and said I needed a waiver and requested the medical records from my surgeon. I obtained those and gave the records to him. I then set a date with the reruiter to take my medical/physical at MEPS. Everytime we're set to go, he claims he needs more records.

He has now given me a PRK/Lasik check list to have my surgeon fill out. The strange thing is that all the information needed to be filled out was part of the medical records I already gave my recruiter.

I'm almost at the point of contacting the Coast Guard or Navy and joining the reserves with them. I'm not getting any younger and I'm dead set on serving my country.