Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-19-2009, 1:15 PM

Default IRR Reactivation

A friend of mine just got orders in the mail to report to benning for processing and then to ft Knox to deploy to Iraq. He was never stationed at ft Knox.

We have pretty much the exact same service record and were in the same plt and ets the same day even. The only difference is he lives in MO and I'm here in CA. Is it possible that I will get orders aswell or how does the reactivation choose work?
Old 11-19-2009, 3:39 PM

isn't it by needs of the Army? specifically MOS.
Old 11-19-2009, 4:21 PM

You'll get yours soon enough.... Be patient.
Old 11-19-2009, 5:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Don't try to use logic, it's the Army you're dealing with.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 11-19-2009, 6:24 PM

Although not the same,after 911 I was recalled from I.N.G (Inactive National Guard)to active duty.I thought that recruiting was prettymuch meeting the goals?(cavtrooper may fill in here)
I wonder what the reasoning is here.I know It's the Army,but I still wonder
Old 11-19-2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
Although not the same,after 911 I was recalled from I.N.G (Inactive National Guard)to active duty.I thought that recruiting was prettymuch meeting the goals?(cavtrooper may fill in here)
I wonder what the reasoning is here.I know It's the Army,but I still wonder
might need ncos
Old 11-19-2009, 7:57 PM

a buddy of mine who was in the IRR got reactivated to the Army and is in A-stan right now. He though he was done. Sucks for him
Old 11-19-2009, 8:43 PM

Question

I came off of the IRR in December of last year. Received an Honorable in the mail a few months later. Can they call me back if they want to? Sorry if my question is dumb...
Old 11-19-2009, 9:19 PM

Depends. Have you served a total of eight years either active, reserve or IRR (or any combination). After that, they can technically call you back but it's a lot harder for them to do. I've only known of one person that had that happen to them.

ETA: Take a look at your enlistment contract. Nearly all of them have you enlisting for eight years.
Old 11-19-2009, 9:30 PM

I'm out here with a couple of IRR guys, they're getting an extra $500/month, and got rank for being reactivated, which I think is BS. Everyone who gets out is "technically" in an IRR status until (8 yrs? not sure) is up. That was on the contract when signed. I've been active for 10 yrs, and now some guy who got out years ago gets rank that they don't deserve just for fullfilling their contract? Most of them have poor attitudes as well, because they are angry at the Army for recalling them. Sure wish I got an extra $500/month and rank for all the hard work I've put in...sigh...oh well....
Old 11-19-2009, 9:39 PM

I guess the think am automatic promotion takes the sting out of getting pulled back in. The guy I knew got his E-6, but took a big pay cut from his civilian job. I was active 9 years and still worry they might try to pull me back in.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM

yeap... I was recalled from the IRR and served a tour in Iraq, Camp Liberty

Last edited by wxc96; 11-19-2009 at 10:18 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 PM

I worked at the MC brig my enlistment. I don't recall one person being sent to the brig due to the fact that they didn't fulfill their IRR contract. I did see two people being sent here for desertion status, but that was from the vietnam era. Plus they got out within the week.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:09 AM

Theres a difference between "IRR" and discharged. Once youve been discharged youre done. No grey area about it, they may try but that honorbale discharge is theyre acknolwedgement that youve fullfilled your contractual obligations. Its hilarious as theyre trying to get rid of folks left and right (in the guard atleast) to deal with theyre "over strength" siutaion yet turn around and pull this kinda garbage..Military "intelligence" AT IT BEST! ( IM in and happy though

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge" -Ronald Reagan speaking of the newhall incident in 1970.
Old 11-20-2009, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

IRR status for me in January, boo yah!

Now the real sweating starts
Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Yup, just got my orders in the mail today. They are identical to my friends. Same unit even.

Kind of a kick in the balls that orders were cut 15 days after I was released from active duty.
Old 11-25-2009, 9:10 PM

that sucks man. I still had 3yrs left of IRR when I ETS'd in Feb this year. So, I opted for the reserve plan where they cut your MSO (8 year Mandatory Service Obligation) time in half. Now I just have to finish my 18 months in the reserves and then I get my honorable. Plus you can't get deployed for 2yrs after coming off active according to CA state law. Anyone getting out in the near future I would highly recommend at least checking this out.
Old 11-25-2009, 9:15 PM

I called a reserve career counseler yesterday to see if I could go to a reserve unit instead. I guess I am a couple days late for that. He said I was "tagged" and I couldn't be moved. My wifes due date is same day they want me to report to benning so I filled for a delay today. Just waiting to hear back from that.
Old 11-25-2009, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertram800 View Post
I'm out here with a couple of IRR guys, they're getting an extra $500/month, and got rank for being reactivated, which I think is BS. Everyone who gets out is "technically" in an IRR status until (8 yrs? not sure) is up. That was on the contract when signed. I've been active for 10 yrs, and now some guy who got out years ago gets rank that they don't deserve just for fullfilling their contract? Most of them have poor attitudes as well, because they are angry at the Army for recalling them. Sure wish I got an extra $500/month and rank for all the hard work I've put in...sigh...oh well....
I bet you're one of those guys who's pissed about recruits with college degrees getting advanced rank. :P
Old 12-07-2009, 8:42 PM

I am kind of having conflicting thoughts of the reactivation. I would love to go to Iraq for a deployment, but then again there is a few other things I need to be in the states for. My son is due on my report date, I probably won't get to see my first sons birth, and any firsts of anything with him for that matter. I am unemployed since I just got out, so the money would be nice. If I get reactivated I think I might reenlist, if I can, choose my duty station (hawaii :]). I sure wish things where up to me!
Old 12-17-2009, 8:24 PM

Ya I was talking to a unit readiness NCO and he said its usually better to just go guard after you get off active because they can pull individuals from the IRR but can usually only deploy a unit at a time from the guard, although I know a couple people who got pulled and attached to another unit to deploy, most of them had volunteered though