Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Default Anyone have any experience with Rangers or SF?

I joined the Army in June of this year and I am currently at AIT. My MOS is 25U which deals mostly with radios and antennas. I am in a pretty good shape and I am consistently improving. I am considering going Rangers or SF. Do any of you experience with either one of these?
Old 11-16-2009, 3:25 PM
Banned

you mean you are looking to do them in the future? Didn't you already enlist as a radio guy?
Old 11-16-2009, 4:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yes i did. i had the distinct honor and privalege of going on many missions with the team on my FOB in Iraq. the bes group of guys to ever serve with. lots of fun and great trainers IMO.

as for the fitness i think you may be ok. the mental part is tough and selection and so on. i have limited knowledge of the selection process though. and what i have posted is what i know not much as you can see.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-16-2009, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thSBCT View Post
you mean you are looking to do them in the future? Didn't you already enlist as a radio guy?
25U is one of the few MOS's that Ranger Battalions are always looking for and on a 12 man Special Forces team there is a junior and senior commo guy.

I did enlist as a radio guy partly because it is a job that is needed in every unit. Even the White House has 25U's that work there.
Old 11-16-2009, 7:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
25U is one of the few MOS's that Ranger Battalions are always looking for and on a 12 man Special Forces team there is a junior and senior commo guy.

I did enlist as a radio guy partly because it is a job that is needed in every unit. Even the White House has 25U's that work there.

Yea but as a famous soldier once said "your a rifleman first, and a radioman second" Either way they might not let you leave to go sf or ranger battalion. When my unit had 2 slots for ranger school I tried out. I ended up passing the PT standard and a written test. Myself and 2 other guys ended up being the only ones who qualified to go. After jumping throw so many hoops and retaking Test after test 2 of us were over it and the last guy went to ranger school only to end up getting kicked out. Ranger school is just a gut check. SF is if you have no life outside the military. Just learn your COMMO stuff good and stick to that and do something that will earn you some cash when you get out. Forget all that macho stuff. Once you get out all the macho stuff goes away.
Old 11-16-2009, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

you want it, go get it, no one can stop you.

learn this now, take charge of your career, the only one who can make things happen for you is you.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thSBCT View Post
Yea but as a famous soldier once said "your a rifleman first, and a radioman second" Either way they might not let you leave to go sf or ranger battalion. When my unit had 2 slots for ranger school I tried out. I ended up passing the PT standard and a written test. Myself and 2 other guys ended up being the only ones who qualified to go. After jumping throw so many hoops and retaking Test after test 2 of us were over it and the last guy went to ranger school only to end up getting kicked out. Ranger school is just a gut check. SF is if you have no life outside the military. Just learn your COMMO stuff good and stick to that and do something that will earn you some cash when you get out. Forget all that macho stuff. Once you get out all the macho stuff goes away.
I like hearing the other side of things. It helps to either solidify my decision or move in a new direction. Right now I am really leaning toward SF or Rangers though. I don't mean to build myself up or anything but I am smart, in good sharp, and mentally tough. I have the highest grade in my class here at AIT and there are people in my class with degrees and experience in this field. I feel that I am capable of doing something that the majority of the people cannot or will not do. I don't want to do it to be macho. I wouldn't care of no one knew what I do. I want to serve my country to the best of my ability and be proud of what I do and who I am.

I also know several people that are in a position to help get me where I want to go. I don't know if it will make a huge difference but if there is anyway for me to go SF or Rangers I am going to take full advantage of it.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
you want it, go get it, no one can stop you.

learn this now, take charge of your career, the only one who can make things happen for you is you.
I am starting to realize that even here in TRADOC. There are many sergeants (E-5) that have been in for 10+ years and have done very little and then are some that have been in shorter periods of time and have done a lot. They have gotten their degrees and done many things in and out of the Army.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM

"IF" junior enlisted promotions are run like they were back in the day, fast rank tends to happen in MOS' with the fastest turnover. The whole thing was based on recommendation, oral promotion board, and promotion points. An 11B (grunt) could get promoted to E5 when he accumulated 450 promotion points. In EOD the normal cutoff for E5 was 801 points. Obviously, in "old" EOD making E7 with less than 12 to 15 years of service was rare.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe
Old 11-17-2009, 2:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
I like hearing the other side of things. It helps to either solidify my decision or move in a new direction. Right now I am really leaning toward SF or Rangers though. I don't mean to build myself up or anything but I am smart, in good sharp, and mentally tough. I have the highest grade in my class here at AIT and there are people in my class with degrees and experience in this field. I feel that I am capable of doing something that the majority of the people cannot or will not do. I don't want to do it to be macho. I wouldn't care of no one knew what I do. I want to serve my country to the best of my ability and be proud of what I do and who I am.

I also know several people that are in a position to help get me where I want to go. I don't know if it will make a huge difference but if there is anyway for me to go SF or Rangers I am going to take full advantage of it.

First off I'm sure your very capable and I know your not trying to be macho. What I am saying is.....think about your future......The military will use you up and leave you out to dry....UNLESS you take advantage of the training they offer. Your current MOS, I would think, will give you tools and knowledge that will translate into opportunities in the civilian world. If you go SF or Ranger all you will have are good stories and the back, knees, and hearing of a 90 year old when you get out....

If your dead set on SF or Rangers then full steam ahead. Rangers are just glorified infantry but with very strict standards. This means for any reason, I MEAN ANY, reason they can boot you out and send you to a regular infantry company. SF is more of a gentlemans group that emphasizes IQ more than muscle. You still have to pass the PT requirement but its not as hard as ranger batt. or ranger school.

Lastly when are you planning to do this? What about your current contract you signed...

Last edited by 4thSBCT; 11-17-2009 at 2:38 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 2:27 PM

Yes, the future must be taken into consideration. A guy I know started with Infantry and a Ranger contract and excelled at that, and then he applied for Special Forces and excelled at that. Can't stay in the Army forever, so when they finally cut him loose he was like Rambo. All the training the Army has to offer when it comes to operating their vehicles, firearms and ordinance but couldn't apply it to the civilian world. He never took advantage of the GI Bill or anything, just took the Army day by day....brainwashed himself into thinking the adventure was going to last. He's sort of a job-drifter now, and can't do much considering after 23 years of Infantry-Rangers-Special Forces his body is just completely worn out. Bad back, bad knees, bad hearing....

Really sad to see him, a shell of his former self. Take advantage of what they have to offer, use their money...use their benefits. If you want straight teeth, use them to get braces. If you want good eyes, use them to get LASIK. If you want to get a degree, have the Army pay for it.

Last edited by Dekker; 11-17-2009 at 2:30 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 2:55 PM

I am planning on doing this when the timing feels right. First I need to get to my unit, which is projected to be in the 25 ID. I want to get into the real army and see what it is like and get a feel for everything. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to wait until I re-up in 4 years and try to get it in my new contract.

If I were to go Rangers, I would keep my MOS. So I would continue training in my current MOS and in infantry training, etc. In SF they have two commo people. They pick your MOS based on your skills and the needs of the army. So if I spent a year or two in this MOS and got deployed, I should have a better shot at getting commo for my MOS.

So more or less, the same opportunities would be open plus others because of the experience that I would have gained. I have 61 college credits right now and I plan to get my BA degree as soon as I can. That is one of my main goals while in the army.
Old 11-17-2009, 3:32 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Selected-S.../ref=pd_cp_b_3

Everything you need to know. Good luck on your choices.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldsal View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Selected-S.../ref=pd_cp_b_3

Everything you need to know. Good luck on your choices.
I bought that book over the weekend. It was a very informative book and had useful information that could be used in all aspects of my life. It also recommended a long list of other books to further the topics that were discussed.

Looking at the price, it was cheaper on post.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:45 PM

I see you listen to Lamb of God

Anyways. Do it. Such professions are the most fun, most stressful, most rewarding there are. However, maintain humility but be proud at the same time. Just my opinion.
Also, such experience might not help much with post-military employment, so you might want to think about that as well. Wish I did. I know you're already in, just saying.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2009, 5:54 AM

If you're in AIT right now and seriously want a shot at going to a Ranger Bn. you need to start kicking and screaming for at least a slot in Airborne school, if not a spot in RIP. I know in 2d Batt we were always short commo geeks so your MOS might improve your chances. Talk to your Drill Sergeant about going to Airborne right after AIT and if you're lucky he will help you out. From ABN school you will have a much better chance of Talking to the Regiment liaison. I don't know much about getting a spot in SFAS but I do remember 2 guys from my basic training company getting slots right after ABN.
Old 11-19-2009, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Also, such experience might not help much with post-military employment, so you might want to think about that as well. Wish I did. I know you're already in, just saying.

Good luck!
I always see people using this as a reason to not join up.

The way I see it, military service shouldn't be a vocational training program for later civilian employment. The military is the military. It is meant for one mission that is unique to the military. That is to train for and fight wars.

Just how much are civilian 11b's making these days?
Old 11-19-2009, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

The Military provides you with tools above and beyond anything you could find in the civilian sector, not taking advantage of them is a failure on the individuals part. Blaming the Military for not preparing a person for civilian life is a cop out generally used by individuals who chose not to indulge in the opportunities presented to them during their time in the Service.

Bottom line, if you aren't on a path to success when seperating from the Service, whether you were an infantryman or fighter pilot, its your own damn fault.
Old 11-19-2009, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post

Just how much are civilian 11b's making these days?
A better question would be:

How much training and experience does your average 22 year old have compared to thier peer who has spent 4 years as an 11B?

Leadership training and experience?

Responsibitlity?

Education and education opportunities?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM

yeesh guys, no need to get all angry. I wasn't at all blaming my decision of joining the military for anything at all. It's just something that people should think about if they're not planning on becoming a lifer.

Y'all take everything with way too much salt

Anyways, to "thebloodsonthewall", if it's what you want to do (be a badass in the shortest sense, that is), then do it. The worst thing that could happen is you get sent back to where you would have been in the first place. But that doesn't mean give up easily. Don't give them the satisfaction of washing you out.
Old 11-19-2009, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
yeesh guys, no need to get all angry. I wasn't at all blaming my decision of joining the military for anything at all. It's just something that people should think about if they're not planning on becoming a lifer.

Y'all take everything with way too much salt

Anyways, to "thebloodsonthewall", if it's what you want to do (be a badass in the shortest sense, that is), then do it. The worst thing that could happen is you get sent back to where you would have been in the first place. But that doesn't mean give up easily. Don't give them the satisfaction of washing you out.
Nobody's getting angry here, I'm just saying what I think. I do agree with you by the way..having Army ranger or anything hooah like that won't increase your chances in landing a six figure a year salary job. Using your GI bill and busting your *** and getting a degree will. And that thing you said about becoming a lifer..makes a lot of sense to me. I once had a master sergeant tell me, and I paraphrase, "Either do one stint and get out, or stay in for the whole 20 years or more. If you do your 4 years, you've done your duty, and you're still young enough to be competitive in the civilian workforce. If you stay in as a career, well that's your career. But if you get out half way in between that, you will be years behind all of your peers and have to compete with younger people for entry level jobs." That sounds like pretty solid advice to me.

Sure you have small group leadership experience, but there are very few jobs in the army that can directly transfer to a lucrative civilian job. Most civilian employers have their own standards that you have to meet. The only skill that you can transfer to the civilian world I can think of is the medical field. Army 68WM6 and above have pretty easy time finding a job in the real world. Our Criminology program gives 0 consideration to veteran MPs, even if you've been deployed multiple times.

So yeah, I still think that people should not use the military as a "springboard" for anything serious in civilian life. People who reach high status/positions or get good jobs in the civilian world probably didn't need the army in the first place, IMHO. They already had the drive and dedication to do it themselves.

Last edited by Army GI; 11-19-2009 at 1:34 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
.......Just how much are civilian 11b's making these days?
I am not doing bad at all
Old 11-19-2009, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

lol very funny
Old 11-26-2009, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH View Post
If you're in AIT right now and seriously want a shot at going to a Ranger Bn. you need to start kicking and screaming for at least a slot in Airborne school, if not a spot in RIP. I know in 2d Batt we were always short commo geeks so your MOS might improve your chances. Talk to your Drill Sergeant about going to Airborne right after AIT and if you're lucky he will help you out. From ABN school you will have a much better chance of Talking to the Regiment liaison. I don't know much about getting a spot in SFAS but I do remember 2 guys from my basic training company getting slots right after ABN.
Noah hit the nail on the head. If you are at all interested in joining a ranger batt you need to get the ball rolling now. Once you get to your permanent duty station it becomes more difficult to get away from them. You need to volunteer for airborne and then RIP. Your MOS gives you a much better chance because they are always getting 11B's coming in, but are always in need of low density MOS's such as commo, supply, mechanics, etc. That how it was when I was at 3rd bat. just 8 months ago.

Whatever you decide, work extremely hard for it and best of luck to you.
Old 11-28-2009, 2:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Now is the time for Ranger. SF will come with maturity and experience.

But you must think it over and consider that this is a dramatic lifestyle change.

I am now 40, divorced, and regretting not doing what I wanted to do when I was young, motivated and in great shape.

I wanted to get married, have children, the house the dream.

Now, I got no kids, no wife, no house and not tabs LOL.

Do what feels right, and give it your very best.

"If guns kill people, can I blame my spelling errors on my pencil?"