Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Last edited by holasrmateo; 05-07-2010 at 8:17 PM.. Reason: Privacy
Old 11-21-2009, 8:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think you mean to say kicking you out is an empty threat. I think you have the term messed up. If they recycle you, they get to keep their investment...and just fine tune you a bit.

Recycling you means you have to repeat your training from an earlier stage of training. Believe me when I say recycling is very common place in the USAF. Almost half our flight got recycled. Then again, there wasn't a war on at the time. So they could take their time training us. One guy destroyed property, so he probably got booted. Another tried to pretend he was crazy, so he probably got booted out. They made sure he got to watch our bus leave as we graduated, they assigned him to the medical flight for an eval and took their time. The rest were either transplanted into a completely different squadron (which you would think you would have heard about after basic and I never did) or recycled like they said they were doing with them. I knew lots of people later in my career that had been recycled. They were not treated like screw-ups or anything. It was common place. They just had to spend more time in basic.

Go into it expecting it to be a challenge that you WILL overcome...and you will do yourself proud. Expect it to be a trip to Disneyland and you'll be headed home with your tail between your legs embarassed as hell. Mindset is everything.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 11-21-2009 at 8:55 PM..
Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Last edited by holasrmateo; 05-07-2010 at 8:17 PM.. Reason: Privacy
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Hey guys, new here but I thought I'd chime in on this thread. When I went to Army basic at Fort Sill (spring of 02) we did have females there, so I don't think they all go to Jackson.
I was a cook and already had civilian training. Usually, as I understand it I would have gone to Jackson and then AIT at Lee, but since they weren't sending me to AIT they just put me in the soonest basic coming which happened to be with the Artillery guys.
I wouldn't say that basic was really 'hard' but I did have to get up to shape to get out, lol. Not that it was hard to do I was 27 so my PT standards were lower than most of the younger guys there. Actually at the end I did meet their standards as well (that was something I just wanted to do for myself, not be outdone by the youngsters, lol) I agree it could be a lot harder, but for what? I was sufficiently trained for anything I ever had to do in my four years. Other things like convoy security I learned from my unit before we deployed.
I guess for those who want to go through hell, they can still try and go do the other hooah schools!
That said, I would certainly chuckle a bit if I heard someone describing the hell of Army basic..
Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

tom e, welcome to calguns!

It's interesting to know that you had females going through basic at Ft. Sill. When I went through two years later, Ft. Sill was all male.

The only thing that was hell about army basic was the gas chamber. I felt like I was literally going to die.

Everything else was like, "Really? We have to do that? Aw, F.T.A." lol

Last edited by Army GI; 11-23-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post

The only thing that was hell about army basic was the gas chamber. I felt like I was literally going to die.
Yeah that did suck. I positively dreaded taking the mask off and was one of the last so I had to watch everyone else first. That may well be the only thing I did in basic that I walked away from thinking anything else they threw at me would be easy.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Last edited by holasrmateo; 05-07-2010 at 8:18 PM.. Reason: Privacy