Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-26-2009, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Basic training attrition rates.

Alot of folks ask about failing out of basic training/boot camp, but I never had any real numbers to go on. I looked tonight and found some numbers I thought were interesting.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...asicattrit.htm

US Army has the highest attrition rate in basic training, followed by the Navy, the Marine Corps and then the Air force.

So I guess if youre worried about basic training being too tough, you might wanna try the Marine Corps or the Air Force, seems that their basic training is the easiest to pass!
Old 10-26-2009, 5:11 PM

I've never been in the military but I have seen many overweight Army guy's and never an out of shape Marine. If Army basic is so tough why would you have to do Marine basic If you wanted to join? Once Marines decide to join other branches they don't have to go to bootcamp because they have the toughest basic out of all branches?
Old 10-26-2009, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

ahh man, no Coast Guard stats?
Old 10-26-2009, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Army basic training was a joke. It was tailored for teenage girls.
Old 10-26-2009, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
I've never been in the military but I have seen many overweight Army guy's and never an out of shape Marine. If Army basic is so tough why would you have to do Marine basic If you wanted to join? Once Marines decide to join other branches they don't have to go to bootcamp because they have the toughest basic out of all branches?
This is curious to me as well,When I was in Recruuit training at MCRD there was a prior Army and a prior Navy guy there.the Army guy was mostly squared away,but I'm sorry to say that the Navy guy,not so much.After my time in the Corps.I joined the Guard and went straight to My unit,no school no boot camp,just right to the unit.BTW I hate to say it but there are out of shape Leathernecks too.
Old 10-26-2009, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
Army basic training was a joke. It was tailored for teenage girls.
When and where did you attend basic training? What was your MOS?
Old 10-26-2009, 6:57 PM

Desert hit it. If you are a Marine you can transfer to other services. If you are another service you cannot transfer to the Marines.

Marine basic is not a cakewalk. USAF and Coast Guard are. Incindentally, I am USAF, transferring to Coast Guard

Wanna see my tactical keyboard and low profile mouse?
Old 10-26-2009, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
A serious Question here,
Is there different "Basic training" For Grunts and POG's?
Old 10-26-2009, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
According to the Coast Gaurd recruiter I spoke with, anyone who joins will go through their boot camp/basic training regardless of thier prior service, does this mean that the Coast Guard is just as hard as the Marine Corps?
Old 10-26-2009, 7:10 PM

The drop out rates are because people join the Army thinking it will be easy and they can breeze through it, get the money and get on with it, then fail out when they realize its semi difficult. Fewer people join the Marine Corps thinking this, for the most part they want to be there and want to pass for pride/patriotic reasons. The AF is a joke, people expect it to be easy and it is, hence the low drop rate.
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
According to the Coast Gaurd recruiter I spoke with, anyone who joins will go through their boot camp/basic training regardless of thier prior service, does this mean that the Coast Guard is just as hard as the Marine Corps?

I'd say No. It's more of a niche service,being DOT and all.To tell you the truth I would have benefited from some sort of "in the Army now" Transitional training.Because the Army and the Marine Corps. are worlds apart,and not so much in a bad way.Just different.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Fort Jackson. 1996 52c air conditioning. The hvac\r training was actually very good and got me a well paying job when I got out. Basic was a joke!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem1492 View Post
Desert hit it. If you are a Marine you can transfer to other services. If you are another service you cannot transfer to the Marines.

Marine basic is not a cakewalk. USAF and Coast Guard are. Incindentally, I am USAF, transferring to Coast Guard

Wanna see my tactical keyboard and low profile mouse?
Source? Sorry, but pretty sure the order of boot camp difficultness is AirForce, Navy, THEN Coast Guard, Army, Marines.

Last edited by cgseanp1; 10-26-2009 at 7:18 PM..
Old 10-26-2009, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
A serious Question here,
Yes.

Infantry - FT Benning
Cavalry - FT Knox
Armor-FT Knox
Everything else - everywhere else
Old 10-26-2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldsal View Post
Yes.

Infantry - FT Benning
Cavalry - FT Knox
Armor-FT Knox
Everything else - everywhere else
OK Thanks
I was always under the impression that basic was Basic and AIT was for MOS training.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A serious Question here,
Sorta.

The "cirriculum" is the same but the intensity is different. Its one of the major downsides of the Army being as large as it is, too many places doing the same thing differently.

In the Marine Corps youve got MCRD and Perris Island. In the Army youve got Ft Benning, Ft Knox, Ft Jackson, Ft Lenoard Wood and Ft Sill. All (supposedly) doing the same thing, with slightly different results. Combat Arms usually attends "one station unit training", which is where they go straight through basic and AIT with the same class, no break. Combat and service support will attend basic training then transition to an AIT cours which is usually alot less intense, similar to the way Marine Corps SOI is ran, with weeknds free and such .
Old 10-26-2009, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Fort Jackson. 1996 52c air conditioning. The hvac\r training was actually very good and got me a well paying job when I got out. Basic was a joke!!!!
We send females to Ft Jackson.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:33 PM

Thanks CavTrooper
Old 10-26-2009, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'd say No. It's more of a niche service,being DOT and all.To tell you the truth I would have benefited from some sort of "in the Army now" Transitional training.Because the Army and the Marine Corps. are worlds apart,and not so much in a bad way.Just different.
I think most Marines that Ive met that have transitioned to the Army have felt the same way, especially the first few times they said "the fleet", "the head", "attention on deck" or asked another Soldier to scrub their back in the shower, ya know the typical Marine Corps stuff that you dont hear in the Army.

In your opinion, why do so many Marines leave the Corps for the Army? Ive asked that question to many people who have done that and have gotten the same answer from pretty much every one, so I wonder, whats your take?
Old 10-26-2009, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think most Marines that Ive met that have transitioned to the Army have felt the same way, especially the first few times they said "the fleet", "the head", "attention on deck" or asked another Soldier to scrub their back in the shower, ya know the typical Marine Corps stuff that you dont hear in the Army.

In your opinion, why do so many Marines leave the Corps for the Army? Ive asked that question to many people who have done that and have gotten the same answer from pretty much every one, so I wonder, whats your take?
Wasn't he referring to your post about the Coast Guard?
Old 10-26-2009, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We send females to Ft Jackson.
No one told me they were in the same units. In reception the males and females were seperated and it was like I thougt the army would be. I vividly remember being kept up all night and sitting in a class room. The sergent said don't tell me your going to kill your self because I don't give a &@;&, and he meant it.(he was talking to all of us, not me)

When we got to basic the intensity was ratcheted WAY down. Recently I met a guy on a job that was a generator mechanic in he army and went to fort jackson also. He said it was the biggest let down of his life.

Last edited by anthonyca; 10-26-2009 at 7:44 PM..
Old 10-26-2009, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
Wasn't he referring to your post about the Coast Guard?
Try and keep up.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Try and keep up.
Dang. I guess it's not true what they say about you army guys.. JK!
Old 10-26-2009, 7:49 PM

[
Quote:
QUOTE=CavTrooper;3274049]I think most Marines that Ive met that have transitioned to the Army have felt the same way, especially the first few times they said "the fleet", "the head", "attention on deck" or asked another Soldier to scrub their back in the shower, ya know the typical Marine Corps stuff that you dont hear in the Army. :eek
:
LOL too much tv?
Quote:
In your opinion, why do so many Marines leave the Corps for the Army? Ive asked that question to many people who have done that and have gotten the same answer from pretty much every one, so I wonder, whats your take?[
For Me,I was fine being out of the Corps.Until I met a Soldier who was in the local Guard unit at the P.O.S.T. training I was attending.I got to know this guy pretty good(scratching his back in the shower) He was always talking about the Guard,Then it happened,I started to miss it alittle.So I went to the unit armory and spoke with the 1st.Sgt. He was pretty cool so I "visited"during a drill weekend. then I joined up.The rest is History.So to answer Your question.I transitioned to the Army after the Corps.because The military was not out of me quite yet.and to tell you the truth,it still isn't
Had I stayed in I could be retireing in 5 years.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I think thats another issue that effects the "image" of the Army. We have the National Guard wearing the same uniforms, patches and nametapes as Regular Army Soldiers. One weekend a month, two weeks a year Soldiers who are not always held to the same standard, who dont always have the same training, "representing" the Army. Thats something the Marine Corps doesnt have to deal with.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:56 PM

I loved to reply to My Army Company Commander with an "Aye Aye Skipper" when He would give direcion or orders.It frosted His arse.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:59 PM

I don't dissagree at all.
While on active duty in the Corps.I worked with some Reg.Army guys on a cross training type excersize.It was a great experience.They were squared the **** away!
X-training AAV's to M113's
Old 10-26-2009, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Alot of folks ask about failing out of basic training/boot camp, but I never had any real numbers to go on. I looked tonight and found some numbers I thought were interesting.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...asicattrit.htm

US Army has the highest attrition rate in basic training, followed by the Navy, the Marine Corps and then the Air force.

So I guess if youre worried about basic training being too tough, you might wanna try the Marine Corps or the Air Force, seems that their basic training is the easiest to pass!
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the lower standards for recruits driven by high recruitment goals
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggunner View Post
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the lower standards for recruits driven by high recruitment goals
or that the army has more commitments than any other branch. but who cares right?
Old 10-27-2009, 1:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
when i got out of the corps i was looking into joining the cg. i didnt cause the wifey had enough of my deployments. but the only thing i had to do was go to nj i believe for 2 weeks to learn the cg customs and rank structures and than to yorktown,va for training in the field i was interested in. no basic though. i would be allowed to keep my rank equivelant and upon completion of school id get promoted to the next rank.
Old 10-27-2009, 4:49 AM

Quote:
When I went through Cape May I was told the attrition rate was the highest of all the services. Not necessarily related to physical ability - the Coast Guard does not accept Dumb S**ts.

Semper Paratus -
Old 10-27-2009, 5:55 AM

Quote:

In the Marine Corps youve got MCRD and Perris Island..

Just a little correction...

In the USMC, you've got MCRD San Diego (male recruits from west of the Mississippi) and MCRD Parris Island (male recruits from east of the Mississippi, female from all over the US). They are both MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot).
Old 10-27-2009, 6:48 AM

The thing about Perris Island that pissed me off was that our DI's didn't let any recruit fail...even when they should have. All these sh#tbag recruits in my platoon received the same title as Marine as I did even though they were carried through training like a freakin baby boo hoo. Our platoon faced serious consequences for any "Gomer Pyle" motivation we tried to instill upon these POS recruits so ya...FU recruit Miller!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 9:56 AM

I went through basic a few months ago at Fort Benning. I am not infantry but our basic was the same as theirs. We had lets see guys out of 60 not graduate. Three were for various medical reasons. Two were because they couldn't pass the pt test. We had one guy graduate with a broken arm.

It was pretty tough but I imagined it being harder.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaled View Post
The thing about Perris Island that pissed me off was that our DI's didn't let any recruit fail...even when they should have. All these sh#tbag recruits in my platoon received the same title as Marine as I did even though they were carried through training like a freakin baby boo hoo. Our platoon faced serious consequences for any "Gomer Pyle" motivation we tried to instill upon these POS recruits so ya...FU recruit Miller!!!
When I was in boot camp there were 117 recruits on training day 1 then only 74 on grad day.
HAHA you had Miller ours was Beasley.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Navy boot camp is fairly easy as long as you do what your told and keep your mouth shut. Sure at times they push you some physically, but as long as there are other guys in worse shape than you, no problem. Only the guy that stops doing push-ups and cries I can't do any more really gets screwed with. Most of the times I saw recruits get jumped all over it's for saying or doing something pretty stupid....most of the guys that washed out you wouldn't want beside you in a pinch anyways.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Agreed, if you can't make it through Navy boot camp, I wouldn't want that guy/gal watching my back, or have to rely on him/her with my life.

I would think with the internet and the amount of information available to today's recruits, the average new recruit is better than many who went through in my day "79". We had some real winners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcconn View Post
Navy boot camp is fairly easy as long as you do what your told and keep your mouth shut. Sure at times they push you some physically, but as long as there are other guys in worse shape than you, no problem. Only the guy that stops doing push-ups and cries I can't do any more really gets screwed with. Most of the times I saw recruits get jumped all over it's for saying or doing something pretty stupid....most of the guys that washed out you wouldn't want beside you in a pinch anyways.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggunner View Post
From what I heard, with the economy being what it is, the Army recruiters turn a lot of people down these days.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM

I went through basic at Ft. Jackson (Yea yea relaxin' in Jackson)..It was alot different than what I thought it would be..Im a fatbody,always have been..They did teach me how to deal with that,they pushed you intil you puked, let you recover then pushed some more..I hated them for it at the time but I look back and realize they showed me things I never ever would of though myself capable of doing..At the time the Army was hurting for people,subsquently nobody got "washed out" minus medical. There was alot of carrying soldiers, alot of pampering the similiar races etc..Thats life..Ive heard that being the overabundance of people trying to join now, the standards havent increased,but theyre stuck to.Not loosely.
As far as the "winners"..We had a couple of those..Oddly enough I remember getting an email that one of those "winners" had done some amazing things on a deployment and saved alot of soldiers lives..Dont judge people by theyre attitude at training.Training sucks.Its demoralizing and not everyone does well in that atmosphere.What matters is what they will do when the lead starts flying As stated below..

"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "real Marines". " Major General Chesty Puller, USMC ...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
you didn't think that basic for air conditioner guys to be like ranger school did you?