Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-28-2009, 2:21 PM

Default Marine Corp OCS

Ok well I finally signed up for OCS. I have MEPS this Friday and I get shipped off to OCS January 3rd.

For any of you guys that have gone through it or that have info on it what can I expect?

As you can tell I am slightly nervous/excited. Sorry guys I have a billion things running through my head right now.

Thanks,
SSpen
Old 07-28-2009, 3:30 PM

It's been a few years since I went through OCS, but send me a PM with your contact info and we can talk about it.

For starters, it's nothing like Full Metal Jacket. It is similar, but you're going to officer training, not enlisted boot camp, so the instructor staff have a different set of priorities by which they evaluate the candidates.

Bunch of other differences, but seeing as you have until Jan 3rd, you have plenty of time to get ready.
Old 07-28-2009, 4:37 PM

Did you read One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick? I think he mention a lot of running!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.
Old 07-28-2009, 4:43 PM

Congrats....remember, SNCO's & NCO's run it, just shut up and learn!! HAHAHA, just kidding...seriously.
Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

Deputy Robert "Bob" French #1162 EOW 8/30/17

Deputy Mark Stasyuk #728 EOW 9/17/2018

Deputy Adam Gibson #729 EOW 1/18/2021
Old 07-28-2009, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
Congrats....remember, SNCO's & NCO's run it, just shut up and learn!! HAHAHA, just kidding...seriously.
What He said.
Old 07-28-2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
What He said.
Word...

btw it's "Corps". The USMC is not a Corporation.
Old 07-28-2009, 9:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good luck, it's going to be a long year. My buddy went through in 2000 and they let him have it. He was a 11 year SNCO and told me it was "different" than boot camp. Are you Air or Ground?

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 07-28-2009, 9:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah my recruiter told me about the Book "One Bullet Away" He said it was the best description he had of OCS. Im going in Ground. I want to be a Ground Intelligence Officer, Calvary Scout or Infantry.
Old 07-28-2009, 9:44 PM

Ah! I just read the MEPS thread. I gotta go this week
Old 07-28-2009, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Not to thread jack but what is required for OCS a bachelors degree?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Yeah, used to be you could go through with an AA and then you had to get your bachelors before the end of your first term...but I think that's out now.

6172crew, when did your buddy go through OCS? I went through OCC 175, October-December 2000. Seems like a lifetime ago now..
Old 07-29-2009, 8:48 AM

You have to have a 4 year degree. But you can take the course in 2 six week sessions or 1 ten week session
Old 07-31-2009, 9:13 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiedras View Post
Yeah, used to be you could go through with an AA and then you had to get your bachelors before the end of your first term...but I think that's out now.

6172crew, when did your buddy go through OCS? I went through OCC 175, October-December 2000. Seems like a lifetime ago now..
Im going to guess and say he went in 2002, he is now in Japan working at a Navy base coordinating civilian contractors. He is a AAMO (Aviation Maintenance Officer) though. He and his twin brother and I were CH46E crew together, he went to FL as a swim instructor and grabbed his degree from Emery Riddle and applied. He said he was given no slack from anyone and was razzed from day one because he wanted to go Air. I guess some Capt rode him like a prizzed bull but ended up giving him good reviews out of TBS. I asked him if being a Mustang got him anywhere but he didnt think so. Our Squadron had at least 3 guys that I know of who went LDO, WO, O beyond the first enlistment.

2 of our old LT/Capt pilots are now slated to take command at HMM161 and HMM166. It seems like yesterday we were drinking beer with them(hell one of them used to make beer for us barracks guys) and now they are Skippers. My old CO was a Vietnam Pilot, these guys joined after 1993, so its hard for me to see them in that position.

BTW both of these guys were some of the best Zeros I have ever met! Im going to call them one day and tell them I think so.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 07-31-2009, 9:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspen003 View Post
You have to have a 4 year degree. But you can take the course in 2 six week sessions or 1 ten week session
Dont forget TBS, thats another year before you get to the fleet.

Im sure thats one reason Marine Zeros dont smell like boot polish when they show up at the first FMF.

Semper Gumby right?

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 07-31-2009, 9:50 AM

Maybe not, but the shiny look takes a while to disappear.

The mustangs definitely don't get any slack at OCS, makes it particularly interesting when you have candidates that technically outrank the instructors. Had a GySgt or two in my class, and a few SSgts.

Every once in a while, you get some good officers. One of my groomsmen just left HMLA-169 to go to the RAG...maybe someday he'll make a good squadron CO.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Default OCS

OCS. Wow. Memory lane...

I went through Enlisted Bootcamp at Camp Pendleton...yes, a Hollywood Marine.

OCS I went through "Camp Upshur", the last of the best, as well as Brown Field.

The difference between the two is substantial.

Bootcamp, in any and all ways, is there to enable people to ultimately become Marines. While not everyone makes it, Drill Instructors ultimately ensure that if an Individual has what it takes to be a Marine, they're there to "help". You learn above all things the value of teamwork. You will spend some good quality time with PRAC, practical application knowledge...

OCS is a whole different ball of wax.

You will be there competing for slots with current decorated enlisted Marines, some of the top athletes graduating from College, and a large amount of people who ooze leadership traits. A Marine Officer is there to lead Marines, and do so by example. OCS isn't there to train you to be a Marine (The Basic School is, and you spend 6 months of quality time doing so) - OCS is a discriminatory event the intent of which is to weed out the non hacker, non leading types that would make a crappy Marine Officer. Some existing Marines don't make it. People with no prior experience in the military overachieve and excel. It all depends on who *you* are, and you don't get enough runway to cram and learn to be a leader overnight.

Your job while at OCS is #1 to make it, with a very close #2: to demonstrate a substantial amount of leadership that allows you to direct and influence others in being Marines. If you cannot lead, you will not make it.

Running is a very intimate part of OCS. Lots of it. If you can't run while at OCS, you will struggle far more than say...even in Marine Corps bootcamp.

Hopefully this helps....
Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post

Running is a very intimate part of OCS. Lots of it. If you can't run while at OCS, you will struggle far more than say...even in Marine Corps bootcamp.
Officer's are 3 miler champs..
I've seen a Lt. run a PFT wearing a full pack..
Time: 19 min xx sec.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM

I hear the Quigley is pretty fun... of course I did the adult version at San Dog... Just kidding. Good luck, The Corps can always use more good leaders. Hope you'll be on of them.
Old 08-01-2009, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

OCS+ organized chicken ****. Expect a lot of stupid **** boring and tedious crap. Also dont forget that the people serving under you are people also.
That i guess was my biggest pet peeve. When we got a officer that basically didnt give a crap except for his portfolio and how to brownnose to get higher rank
Old 08-02-2009, 9:57 AM

Thanks for the info guys. This is what I want to do and I will live up to the expectations of a Marine Corp Officer.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiedras View Post
Maybe not, but the shiny look takes a while to disappear.

The mustangs definitely don't get any slack at OCS, makes it particularly interesting when you have candidates that technically outrank the instructors. Had a GySgt or two in my class, and a few SSgts.

Every once in a while, you get some good officers. One of my groomsmen just left HMLA-169 to go to the RAG...maybe someday he'll make a good squadron CO.
I did a float with 169 in 1994, some good folks. They lost a huey and a snake +1 good NCO that MEU. I think my buddy was the AAMO over there as well.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM

One day you will be #6 on this list.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationshi...1878&gt1=32023

Quote:
I used to date this woman, Shira, whose ex was (literally) a model. But it was her brother who really threatened me. The guy was a firefighter. And she'd been looking up to him for basically her whole life. I couldn't be in the room with the guy and not feel like if trouble came, I might actually leap into his arms.

I ran into her the other day at the gym. And she was shocked when I told her (me on a treadmill, her on the elliptical trainer next to it) how intimidated I'd been. In the spirit of enlightening, if not all womankind, then at least some of the people I've dated, here's a short compendium of dudes who make me sweat ...

1. Anyone who plays the guitar
I can't play the guitar. I can't do anything except for type and make guacamole. Ergo: I have always kept my women away from dudes with "axes."

2. Dudes who can, like, change your valves
It's even worse if he's a guy who knows about cars and is all humble about it.

3. Your older brother
See above.

4. Your friend's boyfriend
You know, the guy you always mention when we're being idiots. "John never does that to Jenny," you say. Man, when John comes around we're really on our best behavior.

5. The kid you went to high school with and was your best friend for a while but you never dated because he was kind of nerdy but now he's gained some weight and is super successful and you realize you really missed out with that one ...
Am I the only one who has encountered one of these with every girlfriend?

6. Marines
Man, a Marine started talking to my wife at a bar not that long ago. And I thought: that guy could kick my butt, tell a heart-rending story that would make her cry, and ask to be called "Captain" all at once ... I don't like him.

7. Your father
Especially if he was a Marine, a firefighter and a mechanic who also plays the guitar.
Old 08-07-2009, 9:11 PM

As a Marine officer my best piece of advice I can give you is 3 things:
1) Run ALOT
2) Do lots of pull ups, 1 pull up is worth almost the same as 1 minute on the 3 mile run
3) OCS and TBS are like OZ, they are NOTHING like the real Marine Corps

If you can do the first two before you go, and constantly remind yourself of #3 while you're there you will get through the bullcrap. Just play the game
Old 08-07-2009, 9:31 PM

I just ran my first PT today and got ~256. I have six months to finish training though.

18 pull-ups.. 20 by next week
93 sit ups.. damn wth, 100 by next week
23:09 3 mile, just started running last week though, hopefully by next week ill be at 22:00
Old 08-10-2009, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

bro, you gotta work on your running....
Old 08-10-2009, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
bro, you gotta work on your running....
Oh yes I know. I still have 6 months though and I am starting to do pt 4 days a week and lifting on off days.

I wont go unprepared, just seems like a way to get NPQ'ed quick
Old 08-12-2009, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
As a Marine officer my best piece of advice I can give you is 3 things:
1) Run ALOT
2) Do lots of pull ups, 1 pull up is worth almost the same as 1 minute on the 3 mile run
3) OCS and TBS are like OZ, they are NOTHING like the real Marine Corps

If you can do the first two before you go, and constantly remind yourself of #3 while you're there you will get through the bullcrap. Just play the game
+1 to #3 there. In the end, it's all a game to see if you have what it takes. Don't get too frustrated when it seems impossible to perform the simplest of tasks without screwing up. When it's your turn to lead... lead. The instructors are always watching, whether you know it or not.

Get some practice rope climbing if you can - it can be intimidating if you've never done it before, and lots of people that are otherwise stellar athletes have trouble on the ropes at the O-course.
Old 08-12-2009, 3:23 PM

Thanks. Im reading One Bullet Away and its funny how everyone refers to OCS as a game
Old 08-25-2009, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspen003 View Post
Ok well I finally signed up for OCS. I have MEPS this Friday and I get shipped off to OCS January 3rd.

For any of you guys that have gone through it or that have info on it what can I expect?

As you can tell I am slightly nervous/excited. Sorry guys I have a billion things running through my head right now.

Thanks,
SSpen
Check out www.marineocs.com if you haven't already...site has A LOT of info. Also my OSO said that the report date is the 21st of Jan, if that's correct we got a few extra weeks to prepare.
Old 08-25-2009, 8:22 PM

Use the time wisely fellas, remember its going to be cold a heck when you guys are there. Running in VA in the dead of winter is nothing like running here in CA
Old 09-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah correction... 21st of Jan. Guess they changed it. That gives me a couple more weeks to train
Old 09-08-2009, 4:31 PM

Its going to be cold fellas, be prepared for long days in wet and freezing Quantico
Old 10-01-2009, 4:59 PM

Hey sspen003 im curious, how long did the singing up process take you in regards to ocs? Im currently a senior at my university and i've been thinking about taking the same route.
Old 10-01-2009, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuff View Post
Hey sspen003 im curious, how long did the singing up process take you in regards to ocs? Im currently a senior at my university and i've been thinking about taking the same route.
It really depends on if you have waivers or not. Tattoo's etc. Just PM me and ill get you in contact with my OSO. For me it took about a month, but that is fast bc I dont have any waivers.
Old 10-01-2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
Its going to be cold fellas, be prepared for long days in wet and freezing Quantico
Yeah supposedly this winter is going to be extra cold. I had some friends ship out this morning. Damn I wish I was going sooner
Old 10-10-2009, 5:31 PM
Banned

Good luck yall, nice to see a handful of CGers going to OCS. I wish i could join you guys, stay safe and i hope you get to be officers one day.
Old 10-12-2009, 8:08 PM

SSpen,
I recently got back from a lovely vacation on the bank of the Potomac. If you have any questions and would like a detailed list of what to bring or do, let me know. I will do what I can to help out a nasty heinous candidate.
Brendan
Old 10-12-2009, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodman View Post
SSpen,
I recently got back from a lovely vacation on the bank of the Potomac. If you have any questions and would like a detailed list of what to bring or do, let me know. I will do what I can to help out a nasty heinous candidate.
Brendan
haha im always down for new info. 1. What to do? 2. What to bring thats not listed on the list? (if anything)

How was the weather?
Old 10-13-2009, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I can't give any advice on OCS, but I can say that when you get to the fleet, you should learn to trust the NCO's under your direction. Many times they will know how to get things done better than the officers do, and micromanaging them by telling them how to do every little detail will just breed mistrust and contempt.
Old 10-14-2009, 7:08 PM

Just ran a 21.37 3-mile, best time yet.

I know thats not great to you operators out there, buts its my best time yet.

3.3 minutes to cut off now