Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-19-2009, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Why are Marines such good folks?

I've never served in the military, but I have had some marines work for me, and had a few as friends and aquantances.

Why is it that Marines have such good attitudes and work ethics? I really find them to be the most gung ho folks I know.

Do they really get that far into your brain during boot camp?

Last edited by bubbapug1; 07-19-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 9:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

This isn't a legit question, for it presupposes that Marines are, in fact, such good folks, which is open to debate

For the record, I have several avenues of retreat, so I'm ready for anything you can throw at me

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 07-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

based on my experaince the typical marine is a much more polite, honest, and hard working than the general population.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Based on my experience, 7 marines and 3 soldiers in a bar in Germany are a bad combination

Sorry for threadjacking, I just like teasing Marines. Living on the edge and all.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had just the opposite experiance with former army personal...must be the water
Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Nah, it's the training. Marines are trained to charge, that's all they're really taught. Soldiers are trained to outsmart the enemy. Sometimes they're just confused as to the identify of the enemy

Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Nah, it's the training. Marines are trained to charge, that's all they're really taught. Soldiers are trained to outsmart the enemy. Sometimes they're just confused as to the identify of the enemy
ROFLMAO!

One way you could tell the Army and Marines apart in Mogadishu was when there was shooting, one group moved towards it.

I'll give you three guesses as to which one, but it wasn't the Army.

To answer the OP, it's more than likely due to the Marines being a smaller, more exclusive organization than the Army on whole. 175-200K verses 800K+ in the Army.

A more correct comparision would be use to use more exclusive Army units, like the Rangers. As any unit becomes more exclusive, their pride and esprit grows exponentially. They realize they are representing something special, and ensure that their actions do not reflect poorly on their peers and the unit in whole.

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 07-20-2009, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

After going through the training and service in the Marines, you see how nice it is outside. I think a lot of civilians would be surprised how many every day people you see have served in the military.
I know as a Marine we hold our standards very high, a few cuts above the rest.
You wouldn't believe the amount of time we have to spend making sure everything looks nice, even cutting little threads that stick out of our uniform.
Old 07-20-2009, 9:07 AM

The Marine Corps teaches you a lot about its history as you're in Boot Camp. When you graduate, and you're in the fleet, a lot of history is all around you, wherever you go... and this history is very treasured amongst Marines because the scope of sacrifice is very well felt. This, to my opinion, has a deep impact into how a Marine attains gratitude and it translates into everything he/she does down the road.

Also, we're the only branch that's trained to do a lot with very little thanks to our next to nothing funding. Couple that with extreme attention to detail, and you have yourself a very competent individual.
Old 07-20-2009, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
based on my experaince the typical marine is a much more polite, honest, and hard working than the general population.
Not around other Marines or servicemembers.
Old 07-20-2009, 5:36 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

My BIL is a retired ex-Navy guy and has lifetime PX privileges (can buy consumer goods without paying sales taxes). Anyway, we went to Camp Pendleton MC base to shop with the wives.

All of the Marines that were in the store area who were hanging out / shopping were young (18 - 22) compared to us (50s).

After we left, I remarked that usually around guys (didn't see any females) that young you get a lot of sass, cussing and general attitude.

The Marines there were the most polite, respectful group of young men I had ever seen or heard. I was quite literally stunned.

My hats off to all our Service men and women. All of us here at CG our proud of you and your commitment.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 07-20-2009, 7:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Only service I know that teaches you to do the right thing, even when you don't think people are watching.

Borrowing other service members gear doesn't count.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 07-20-2009, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

because the marines are willing to die for every good american
Old 07-21-2009, 9:14 PM

Because it taught me loyalty above all else plus the only defense is a violent offense. The work ethic and self discipline that I was "taught" has helped me get where I want in life and I would never had if not for the Marine Corps.It's something that has followed me since leaving the Corps, getting into law enforcement and eventually now Army Reserves.

In my unit, for instance, we just got done qualifiying at the range. I was immediately looked upon, by my friends/colleagues for rifle/handgun maintenance as well as how I shot (expert-only dropped one). I hold myself to those standards because that is what the Corps has taught me. I expected myself to shoot well, clean my weapon thoroughly and in a timely manner...I was done and clean before those that started cleaning with me.
Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

Deputy Robert "Bob" French #1162 EOW 8/30/17

Deputy Mark Stasyuk #728 EOW 9/17/2018

Deputy Adam Gibson #729 EOW 1/18/2021
Old 10-23-2009, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

We have a history that is expected to be upheld, we are few, we have high standards that everyone is expected observe and enforce and those high standards are not dismissed upon completing boot camp, loyalty is expected and given and in my opinion the most significant reason is that leadership is constantly being taught, practiced and expected by everyone. Last of all, there are undesireable consequences for violating any of the above.

Last edited by RandyD; 10-23-2009 at 2:23 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 8:20 PM

From the beginning we were taught to do the right thing. Not that the other service were not taught that, however from my own personal experience there is a big difference between the services in terms of attitude, pride and work ethic. On the other side of the spectrum we are also humans and once in a while you will encounter the ten percent we despise in the Corps.
Old 10-23-2009, 8:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I've never served in the military, but I have had some marines work for me, and had a few as friends and aquantances.

Why is it that Marines have such good attitudes and work ethics? I really find them to be the most gung ho folks I know.

For me it was more of a get the job done right the first time and the discipline and duty that came along with it. Funny thing is i still wake up at 4 am on the dot. In the civilian world I find that lots of people don't take responsibility for their actions where in the military there is nothing BUT responsibility for your actions. In the civilian world you can tell your boss to take a flying f**k at a rolling doughnut. The worse your boss can do is write you up or fire you. People simply are not used to/ scared of authority anymore or don't give a s**t take your pick. I think the military instills a lot of discipline and some responsibility in MOST of its members. Not all though. Ive met marines who literally have no drive whatsoever. had a buddy of mine get out and he was working at Home Depot rolling carts in. He ended up going back in after we sat down and talked. Some people NEED that structure to function others dont'. I'm not all gung ho. To tell you the truth I don't brag about my service. I don't feel the need to

The polite thing is just that. Ive seen impolite marines and polite ones. I think a lot of servicemen are either brought up with the respect for others or most of them get it from simply getting the s**t scared out of them by the DI. You cant just go and say what you feel in front of a superior. When youre out with your buddies its no dfifferent than a guy out with his buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
You wouldn't believe the amount of time we have to spend making sure everything looks nice, even cutting little threads that stick out of our uniform.
LOL Irish pennants eh? We used to check each other out and burn them off with a lighter. One of the guys used to use a pair of scissors. Damn eraser heads to shine up the brass

Last edited by Rob454; 10-23-2009 at 9:52 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
Only service I know that teaches you to do the right thing, even when you don't think people are watching.
Borrowing other service members gear doesn't count.
Serious? That's news to me.
Old 10-23-2009, 9:19 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
because the marines are willing to die for every good american
I thought the idea was to make the enemy die for his country?

Seriously though, a big "thank you" to those who have served, currently serve, and plan to serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-24-2009, 6:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
Serious? That's news to me.
I dont know which boot camp you went to but that is what we were taught.

My morals before boot camp couldnt fill a coffee cup, now I cant sleep if I think I wronged another person. I know alot of fellow Jarheads with the same problem and a few that are still blue falcons.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 10-24-2009, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've had just the opposite experience with former army personal...must be the water
Well a lot of people that join the Army don't do so out of patriotism or esprit de corps. Many simply don't have any direction in life (jobless and/or homeless), want to reap the financial benefits for college (or medical/family (BAH)), or can't cut it as a civilian so they go active duty. Marines are different on the other hand: Most are there because they WANT to be there, and they want a piece of the prestige of being a Marine.

I use the words many and most because of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I joined the Army out of patriotism and out of respect of the battle history of the US Army. I'm very gung ho about being a soldier. My buddy joined the Marines, but couldn't wait to get out.

Quote:
The polite thing is just that. Ive seen impolite marines and polite ones. I think a lot of servicemen are either brought up with the respect for others
I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head there with that. It really just depends on what kind of person you were before you joined up. If you were a slob before you joined, chances are you're going to be a slob soldier/Marine and you're going to get a lot of crap.

Last edited by Army GI; 10-24-2009 at 9:06 AM..
Old 10-24-2009, 9:06 AM

I'm not in any military branch, but every Marine I've ever met has been a stand up individual.
Old 10-24-2009, 9:29 AM

I have the most respect for the Marines but c'mon dude, some are a-holes and some are really good guy's mostly good. I've met them both and don't mind calling a Marine an a-hole if he is one.
Old 10-24-2009, 1:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Because their just cool like that.
Old 10-24-2009, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
I have the most respect for the Marines but c'mon dude, some are a-holes and some are really good guy's mostly good. I've met them both and don't mind calling a Marine an a-hole if he is one.
Go to Pacific Beach on any given weekend and give a Marine a "funny" look and see what happens

6172Crew, I'm sure in Boot Camp they did teach you to always do the right thing, even when you don't think people are watching. I'm pretty sure ALL branches teach that though. In the Coast Guard (I know, the Coast Guard) our first 2 core values are Honor, and Respect.

Leave it to a Marine to think they are the ONLY ones who have any values.. Just kidding bout that part

I will say that in general, the average Marine will be more squared away than the average any other military person.
Old 10-24-2009, 2:08 PM

i mean no disrespect to any member of the military but there has been so many times that i have been around army and navy members that were the most rude, impolite, a*holes that its left a bitter taste in my mouth about them. oddly enough though all the marines I've met have all been the exact opposite. super polite, friendly, helpful, everything you could ask for in a person. its strange.
Old 10-25-2009, 6:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm not doing this to bash Marines because my dad was in the Marines and I have relatives who currently serve in other branches, I respect all service men and woman. But there is bad apples everywhere, doesn't matter if you are in the Marines, military, police, or just a civilian. There is no reason to exclude all other branches, I've met stand up guy's from all branches and I've met idiots from all branches. The following links provide confirmation that not all Marines are stand up guy's.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...rine_Wife.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4384322

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4009249.shtml

Again, I'm not doing this to bash Marines but to make a point that there is bad apples everywhere and you shouldn't trust someone just because you believe all Marines are "stand up guy's".

Last edited by Kestryll; 10-25-2009 at 8:59 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeyourself! View Post
I'm not doing this to bash Marines because my dad was in the Marines and I have relatives who currently serve in other branches, I respect all service men and woman. But there is bad apples everywhere, doesn't matter if you are in the Marines, military, police, or just a civilian. There is no reason to exclude all other branches, I've met stand up guy's from all branches and I've met idiots from all branches. The following links provide confirmation that not all Marines are stand up guy's.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...rine_Wife.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4384322

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4009249.shtml

Again, I'm not doing this to bash Marines but to make a point that there is bad apples everywhere and you shouldn't trust someone just because you believe all Marines are "stand up guy's".
Marines are people too, with all the inherent flaws and attributes as the rest of us. Most just choose to step up to the pride and tradition being a Marine encompasses.

Both my parents were Marines and I grew up on Marine bases; guess what my values are like...

Last edited by Kestryll; 10-25-2009 at 8:59 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
Well a lot of people that join the Army don't do so out of patriotism or esprit de corps. Many simply don't have any direction in life (jobless and/or homeless), want to reap the financial benefits for college (or medical/family (BAH)), or can't cut it as a civilian so they go active duty. Marines are different on the other hand: Most are there because they WANT to be there, and they want a piece of the prestige of being a Marine.

I use the words many and most because of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I joined the Army out of patriotism and out of respect of the battle history of the US Army. I'm very gung ho about being a soldier. My buddy joined the Marines, but couldn't wait to get out.

I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head there with that. It really just depends on what kind of person you were before you joined up. If you were a slob before you joined, chances are you're going to be a slob soldier/Marine and you're going to get a lot of crap.
funny i had mostly the opposite experience put i was on active duty and in the infantry.
Old 10-25-2009, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I realize there will always be some bad apples, but it seems the corp drills discipline into its members, and discipline is perhaps the best way to start down the right path in life when paired with good values.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:34 AM

As a 8 year Marine Veteran and now a Army Medic. I can attest that both services are definitely a breed apart.

For, example:

The Army treats a simple salute as chore, (officers walking away so they don't have to salute back or a sloppy salute that looks like they are flinging a booger at you).

Marines are taught that salutes are mutual sign of respect between officers and enlisted and not snapping a proper salute is disrespectful.

Soldiers I've seen wear their ACU s sloppily with no pride in their military appearance.

Marines are the latter. Field or garrison enviroment they take pride in their appearance. A Marine will insure that their blouse is perfect and the sleeve rolls are flat and squared away or another Marine will square them away.

There is more to list. But, I'm going to leave it at that.

"Semper Fi"

Last edited by 99medic; 10-27-2009 at 5:33 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 2:36 AM
Veteran Member

My good friend is an active duty Marine (Scout Sniper). He was 19 and we were hanging out for the weekend this past summer. I asked him what he wanted to do, it's a Saturday night in Pacific Beach. I figured that whatever we did it would center around booze and chasing booty. He was pretty close to being deployed for the first time and was about to be in harms way for the first time in his life. He looked at me and said, "can we just go and play miniture golf?" This brought tears to my eyes, because it reminded me just how young he really is. He is one of the most elite fighters out there and all he wanted to do was spend some time with a buddy, I felt very honored. He is one of my heros and I am proud to call him my friend.
Peter
Old 10-26-2009, 7:04 AM

whenever we've got a bit of work to do around the place (moving stuff, building fences, whatever) we post up on hirepatriots.com... list the job, the rate we're offering, how many we need, and if we need any particular skills. Phone is always ringing within a half hour, and we've got a crew. Most of our crews come from Pendelton... I Love These Guys. they work hard, are incredibly polite, call me Ma'am, take direction, never complain about what we're doing, are appreciative to be fed lunch as a part of the deal. and I don't ever worry they're casing the place to come back and help themselves later.
When we're doing construction stuff, although many of them don't have specific construction experience, they step up and learn. we take the time to teach them any skills they don't already have, and they appreciate that and show it by paying attention and not having to be taught twice.
love these guys. they are absolutely respect-worthy.
megan
Old 10-26-2009, 7:10 AM

Some are good, some are bad.

Most I've met are arrogant and cocky, and have had no sense of respect for personal relationships.
Old 10-26-2009, 7:52 AM

Curtousy, Politeness, and hard work are bread into them from the beginning. They understand the sacrifice and the meaning of the words "Job well done" They can see success because they understand the scope of the mission, be it a firefight or simply taking care of their family. Overall they are the ones thrown into the S%$T to get the job done and do it right. Marines are good people because they have to be They are Marines because they want to be.
Old 10-26-2009, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
funny i had mostly the opposite experience put i was on active duty and in the infantry.
Infantry guys are a lot like Marines IMHO. Very gung ho. Lots of esprit de corps. I crave that. If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I would have enlisted as 11B.

99% of the medics I've met pretty much just use the MOS as a stepping stone to a higher field of medicine. Very pogue heavy. Except for the ones that were assigned to line units. Those guys were impressive and, except for the CMB on their uniform, indistinguishable from an 11B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99medic View Post
As a 8 year Marine Veteran and now a Army Medic. I can attest that both services are definitely a breed apart.

For, example:

The Army treats a simple salute as chore, (officers walking away so they don't have to salute back or a sloppy salute that looks like they are flinging a booger at you.
LOL, yeah most of the prior service Marines in my unit make the same observation. It's like "When I was in the Marines, everybody was proud to let people know they were in the Corps, OORAH! When you ask a soldier, it's like '...yeah, I'm in the ****in Army'"

Question: Were you combat arms in the Marines? That could explain the discrepancies you notice between the USMC and the Army. I don't know from personal experience, since I'm a medic but I hear that the difference between combat arms and "other" MOSs in the Army are substantial.

Last edited by Army GI; 10-26-2009 at 9:47 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

No offense to my fellow jarheads, but having this attitude can be dangerous. The military is a reflection of society and as society goes downhill so does the quality of the military.

My point is: Don't assume because someone is a Marine that makes them a good person, I have seen plenty of Marines do f'ed up things and I have seen Marines take advantage of civilians who have hero-worship towards them. At the end of the day we are all human and it is just another job, it just happens to be a job that involves sacrifices that most people are not willing to make.
Old 10-26-2009, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post
No offense to my fellow jarheads, but having this attitude can be dangerous. The military is a reflection of society and as society goes downhill so does the quality of the military.
My point is: Don't assume because someone is a Marine that makes them a good person, I have seen plenty of Marines do f'ed up things and I have seen Marines take advantage of civilians who have hero-worship towards them. At the end of the day we are all human and it is just another job, it just happens to be a job that involves sacrifices that most people are not willing to make.
Very true! In all military branches. Mine (AF) included...
Old 10-26-2009, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Talking

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
they hit everything but the guy? jk