Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-18-2009, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Default OCS questions...

I'm currently going to school for my AA in criminal justice, I wanted to be a cop but I have always had wanted to join the Marine Corps. Being a cop interest me but no matter what I do I can never get rid of that funny feeling I get when I think about being a Marine or the urge to join. Lately I have been considering OCS instead of joining so I can get some school under my belt it will be awhile until I'm done with school but It seems as if it might be a good career choice and I can fulfill my urge to be a Marine. I was wondering what some of you Marines think of officers? Sometimes I hear down talk from enlisted on officers and the like my buddy is in the army and a buddy in the marines. Also is there something specific I should be studying more so in college than criminal justice? Also is there a program for people wanting to be officers? It's odd because I always come back to think about joining the Marines I think it's a calling and I'm ready to start preparing and answer. A buddy of mine a recruiter in the Army keeps telling me the perks of being in the army but the Marines have always just seemed more Bad A** to me and my family has a long line of service in the Marines and Navy. Thanks for you're time guys any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2009, 8:47 PM

I never made it to OCS but there are several options for you.
Fastest most guaranteed route would be a direct commission. I think only Marines offer lawyers/JAG direct commisioning...medical would be navy
Prior enlisted w/ degree will get preference.
PLC fresh/sophmore in college will take longer (need to HAVE your degree to be pinned) but you can still go to OCS in the summers over 2 phases. Once you get your degree....you get your butter bars and off to TBS.
If you have your degree and no prior enlistment....you're bottom of the barrel. Try to qualify for flight and you'll be more competitive (additional flight aptitude test)
I think there is some general animosity of officers w/ out prior enlisted service but not so much for mustangs (prior enlisted)
I've seen some crap talking about officers in general but i think it's just jealousy or plain HATING. Marines preach "knowledge" and mci's to get promoted from E1 on up but why not take the ULTIMATE MCI (college) and pay grade leap from E whatever to O1+ right?
call your local recruiter and ask for the nearest OSO office.
and your PFT better be damned near perfect. I think Marines just switched to the CFT. HTH. hope you have better luck than I.
Old 11-18-2009, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

PFT? CFT? HTH? This was something I was wondering maybe I should finish my AA enlist and get out and do my Bachelors I don't want to be looked down upon because I was not Prior enlisted. What are some of the reasons of not being able to make it to OCS what would DQ you? Is it different in the Army as well? I want to be ground either way Infantry is what tickles my fancy.
Old 11-18-2009, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

An AA is not enough to get into OCS. You will need to be enrolled in a 4 year degree program before an OSO (officer selection officer) will seriously talk to you.

You have to choose whether you want to go enlisted or officer. They are two very different beasts.
Old 11-18-2009, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

I know a AA is not enough for being a officer what I was getting at is would it be better to go enlisted after getting my AA and then when my time is up finishing my bachelor degree and I would have a better shot at OCS? How is someone supposed to find out about OCS if a OSO wont even talk to you unless you are currently in a 4 year program? Thats one thing Im wondering about as well is can someone kind of explain the differences I know the differences I mean I know the difference but the life style differences and what it takes.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Default I only know about the Army but....

You could enlist in the reserves while you finish school, with up to $20k in student loan repayment, another $20k in bonuses, and $2k per quarter in tuition assistance it would be a pretty good idea financially as well. You would also get a pretty good idea of what officers do and how the military works.

Then once your degree was complete you could put in a "packet" for direct commission or OCS.

If you have some other specific questions send me and email and I'll get you answers. If you want to sign up I can help with that too.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
PFT? CFT? HTH? This was something I was wondering maybe I should finish my AA enlist and get out and do my Bachelors I don't want to be looked down upon because I was not Prior enlisted. What are some of the reasons of not being able to make it to OCS what would DQ you? Is it different in the Army as well? I want to be ground either way Infantry is what tickles my fancy.
PFT = Physical Fitness Test
5 points for each pullup up to 20
1 point for each situp/crunch up to 100
i think a perfect 3 mile run is 18 minutes. Minus a point per every 6 seconds.
new test standard is the CFT = Combat Fitness Test. Sprints, dead man drag, ammo can lift etc. Don't know how it's scored.
Marine OCS has 2 different "classes" if i remember correctly. PLC/Ground. It's everything BUT airwing. That includes infantry (coveted spot for officers) to anything else like logistics or personnel officer. Most officers are some sort of logistics MOS if i remember correctly. Air program is for those that qualified for flight. Passing the flight aptitude test and a flight physical.
lots of DQ reasons. drugs, felonies, lying on app etc. Lots of info here.
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/CandidateInf...on/MalePFT.asp
Contact your OSO when you are as prepared as you can be. FIT and a strong and clear academic plan to transfer to a 4 year college/degree as possible. If you show up a fat and messy looking without any indication of physical strength, they won't take you seriously.
HTH = hope that helps
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

OOOh thanks! I have stayed in excellent condition most of my life 20 pullups is a breeze and 100 sit ups as well now the 18 minute 3 mile run well Ill need to get my run time down by 2 minutes and 45 seconds as that was my best 3 miler so far I am some what of a fitness freak I'm a gym rat and have been since I got into a accident when I was 13 I could not walk for a year and wasted no time getting back into the condition I was in and not taking walking and running for granted. I messaged blackwaterOPS the reserve idea while in school does not sound like a bad plan.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Marines run the PFT and CFT now. The PFT is run and scored the first half of the calendar year, while the CFT is run the second half of the calendar year.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Just finishing up your degree is a much faster way to get a commission. The reserve route is an option but it will take much longer. Just attend 2 PLC courses and get it done. I wish I had gone that route. I'm graduating in a week and I'm waiting to go in the winter. The board isnt even looking at anything below a 280 for OCC. Even with that score getting picked is still slim.