Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

View Poll Results: What will be the Primary force in Space and other planets?
Space Army 3 7.32%
Space Marines 15 36.59%
Space Navy (Master Chief) 7 17.07%
Space Air Force 11 26.83%
Space Force? 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 PM

Default Whos Mission is Space

Another threads bickering got me thinking. Later as technology improves, space will become militarized. who's responsibility will it be? will we have space marines? space soldiers? a new service? Space Force?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it'll be controlled by the AF.. You know flying and stuff. lol. But really I dont know..
Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM

I like when the Sci-Fi movies betray the space service as an almost exact model of the Navy
Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Marines, at least at first until a formal "Astro-brigade" is formed.

Marines go anywhere and do anything. They have their own air force, their own CAS, and their own ground forces. The only thing they need from other services is transportation, and AWACS/intelligence.
Between Army and AF, there are specifically defined roles that cannot be (politically) crossed, such as responsibility for CAS... the Army has helicopters and various gunships, but CAS is the job of the AF.

Such a self-contained organization will be needed in the early years of militarization. Ultimately, more specialized organizations will emerge that will delegate various responsibilities, pushing the Marines to more distant frontiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodymyster View Post
I like when the Sci-Fi movies betray the space service as an almost exact model of the Navy
It's not Sci-Fi anymore.. its SyFy.. lol
Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 AM

My vote goes for Navy. They have the most experience manning large vessels that roam around. Not too long after I'd imagine there will be a Space Corps of some sort.
Old 11-12-2009, 6:12 AM

Don't see any great need to mess with what works.

Navy to transport personnel around. Marines to break down the door and grab a planet-head. Army to conduct the major ground offensives. Air Force will still conduct the atmospheric, cyber and missile missions.

NTM
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 AM

"The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win … in air, space and cyberspace."

considering the air force does alot of space stuff already (launching satellites and etc) im gonna have to say air force.. at least at first...
Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Dont all branches of the military have astronauts anyways? I know the AF does obviously and I know the Army has them. I'm sure the Navy and the Marines do also.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

NASA works with the AF. A lot of astronauts are AF.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Coast Guard--->Space Guard
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The first man to orbit the Earth was a Marine
The "Mercury 7" consisted of 3 USAF, 3 USN, and 1 USMC.
Gemini consisted of 9 USAF, 6 USN, and one civilian (Armstrong)
Walked on the moon? There were 2 civilians, 4 USAF, and 6 USN.

Fred Haise was the only Marine to fly a lunar Apollo mission (on 13!), but 2 more were scheduled to land on the moon on Apollo 19 and 20, but got bumped to Skylab, and one was scheduled for Skylab but bumped to an Apollo-Soyuz docking mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2009, 1:22 PM

space marines first. Then after they pass out they'll cite lack of hydration as the cause. Then the army or AF will invent a gadzillion dollar gadget to drink oxygen.
Old 11-12-2009, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm, interesting topic but I don't think this belongs in the servicemembers forums. This should be moved to the OTF. A lot of this is going to be based on assumptions from movies (!!!) and not reality.
Old 11-13-2009, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

why militarize space? Why screw it up? I'm sure nasa has enough paperwork as it is. Imagine the crap space would be littered with?
"Oh you need to go to the space range? Well do you have your risk assement done? You need a qualified space instructor for .0004 g shooting positions, I know you have a .0005 but thats not what first army space devision wants now. You also first have to go to your space PMI class and then your pre space range briefing. Also before you can check out your ammo it has to be gone through by space KBR and space inspectors for the lot numbers. Also have to find my space range OIC and NCOIC to safety breif you on space range as well as...." - Space POG

Last edited by Maddog5150; 11-13-2009 at 1:52 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Navy and Mobile Infantry

"Fleet does the flying and infantry does the dying"

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 11-13-2009, 1:59 PM
In Memoriam

I'd imagine the Airforce will have some type of armed force in space first, but as for an actual standing force, I'd imagine they would be called Marines (going from ship to shore or shuttle to planet)
Old 11-13-2009, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
why militarize space? Why screw it up? I'm sure nasa has enough paperwork as it is. Imagine the crap space would be littered with?
"Oh you need to go to the space range? Well do you have your risk assement done? You need a qualified space instructor for .0004 g shooting positions, I know you have a .0005 but thats not what first army space devision wants now. You also first have to go to your space PMI class and then your pre space range briefing. Also before you can check out your ammo it has to be gone through by space KBR and space inspectors for the lot numbers. Also have to find my space range OIC and NCOIC to safety breif you on space range as well as...." - Space POG
ROFL!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 4:40 PM

....space == navy...actually that's mostly Star Trek.

In the book Starship Troopers, I think there were two branches. The mobile infantry fought on the ground (marines?), and the branch that controlled the starships (navy), was responsible for dropping off the infantry and firing the nukes.

In the SyFy Stargate franchise, it's the Air Force that sets up off-world bases, sends teams to other worlds, runs the Battlecruisers, and drops multi-gigaton nukes on planets. Sometimes Marines are brought in when things on the ground get too hot.

In Battlestar Galactica, it was all one branch the "Colonial Fleet" and it has a hash of all branches. The commander would dispatch figthers to fight in space. And dispatch "marines" (armed with CX4's) to land on the ground or board enemy ships.

In Enders Game, it was just "International Fleet" (IF), where every country contributed to it. Every country maintained it's own branches of the military, so no change. "IF" could only deal with matters in space, the exterminating the "Buggers", stop nukes, and punish nations that tried to use nukes.

Last edited by Someoneelseok; 11-13-2009 at 5:11 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 4:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"Ender's Game", "Speaker for the Dead", Ender's Shadow, great reads.

I didn't care for "Xenocide", "Children of the Mind" and "Shadow of the Hedgemon" as much.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 AM

I believe the majority of astronauts are USN. I suppose they'd send AF first, but they'd have to get extra perdiem as the accomodations aren't 4-star or above. That is, of course, if you can get them out of CONUS. They already have an astronomical budget, put it to something useful.
Old 11-14-2009, 4:21 PM

Eventually, it probably will be a Marine function. StarSHIPS and the like.

Right now, it belongs to the Air Force. AFSPC, aka Space Command.

Back in the day, I hopped a Space-A MAC flight on a military LearJet (C21) with the head honcho of Space Command. It was him, his two staff members, a CPT, and myself flying into LAX.

Sure beat the C5 I took to Germany!
Old 11-14-2009, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

hard to say... these guy's

or these guy's

Hope its a nice even blend. Led by the Air Force of course.

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
In before the penis measurements
ROFL
Old 11-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
It's not Sci-Fi anymore.. its SyFy.. lol
haha, I thought I was smoking crack and it was a different or knock off station. I was like, great scifi went HD and now I won't see it unless I pay for a cable package.

A
Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Air Force already has a space command and it is huge!!! They are the only service that does, as far as I know. It's got a lot bigger budget than NASA, and missions happen daily. Experts say it's spy and communications satellites only at this point...but how would we ever really know? Why would they tell us? Why force other countries to keep up? Russias program supposedly is not up and running anymore (then again it's not like I've been keeping track or anything so that might have changed). The last I remember reading the only real competition is China who does have a huge space program that also runs daily missions, again supposedly just satalites. We could have a shuttle and be doing manned missions and just not talking about it. Satellites have to get fixed don't they? Doubt they let them just crash into the atmosphere or float off into space every time something goes wrong, and I doubt NASA spends all their time fixing super secrete spy satellites. No way to know just what exactly the scope of the Air Force mission is. Though I doubt we're putting men on the moon again or anything like that. We have too much to worry about right here on Earth. Then again...it would be pretty darn cool to learn we'd already been to Mars, and they just didn't tell us (seriously doubt it).

Once we start getting the tech to hit other systems and colonize and stuff like that, there is no question the Army, Marines, and Navy will be carving out their areas of expertise. The very idea of Colinization has Marines written all over it, with the giant space ships being run by the Navy. But then again the Air Force has 50 years of a head start. So for the foreseeable future (our lifetimes and then some), Space is likely to stay the Air Force's mission and their mission alone.

They talk about our mission in Space during Air Force boot camp in very broad terms. No details. The lack of information, and lack of answers to questions about it sparks the imagination...but nobody asks too many questions lest they sound like a nut job. At that point in boot, you're just trying to stay awake...raising your hand and asking 20 questions they wouldn't know the answers to is not on the menu not matter how curious you are. The goal in boot is not to get noticed, not get pegged as the crazy person who thinks we're already colonizing Mars.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 11-15-2009 at 1:00 AM..
Old 11-15-2009, 1:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
I believe the majority of astronauts are USN. I suppose they'd send AF first, but they'd have to get extra perdiem as the accomodations aren't 4-star or above. That is, of course, if you can get them out of CONUS. They already have an astronomical budget, put it to something useful.
Funny. Not exactly true, but funny.

When we can we spoil ourselves. But ask the Combat Controllers and Pararescue Guys if they get that stuff when they deploy? Ask guys in Mobile Aerial Ports if they sleep in hotels, tents, or fox holes? If the mission allows for it, we go all out. In my experience, the mission rarely allows for it.

I've done the 5 star resort thing once (which was a total fluke - it was supposed be tent city living but there was an issue with the base commander so we stayed at the only other available lodging - score!). Done the tent city thing like crazy, and done the fox hole thing a couple times.

You're just upset that instead of the word "rarely", your branch of the service would insert "almost never". I saw more than few Army Rangers and Marines living it up in Europe. So "never" doesn't apply.
Old 11-15-2009, 1:42 AM
Veteran Member

Waste of my money. With that said, Marines.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 AM

space coast guard