Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 8:02 PM

Default recommend a mace/pepper spray

Wife is a social worker visiting terminally ill patients and providing support for their families (home visits). She will be traveling throughout various parts of orange county (four clients a day). She is looking into mace for self defense, any recommendations or advice?
Old 01-27-2013, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Find out what the police use and get that kind.
Old 01-28-2013, 6:38 AM

Many hunting stores sell bear spray. I carry that when I walk the dogs. TDS was the local store I used.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 01-28-2013, 6:44 AM

Fox Labs 5.3 in a cone spray pattern.
Old 01-28-2013, 1:05 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
Fox Labs 5.3 in a cone spray pattern.
I bought Foxlabs 5.3 in stream for us. (IMO, stream works better if there is any wind; cone probably is OK indoors).

OC or mace or whatever is 'shoot and scoot', no matter what brand you choose.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-28-2013, 6:52 AM

A friend of mine who is a recently retired police officer recommended to me Cold Steel Inferno. He explained that many of the weaker mixes only serve to enrage an attacker... especially those who are on drugs or mentally unstable. Inferno is the strongest formulation that a civilian can have in CA, and it causes the eyes to involuntarily close. It's what he carries. I got the key ring unit and it's always with me in my purse or in my hand. It's lightweight, inconspicuous, and at the ready. I got mine from Knife Center - below.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CSP...s-Keyring-Unit

S~
; )
Old 01-28-2013, 6:57 AM

Kimber pepper blaster 2. I have given them to almost every woman in my family. Its only $32 on Amazon.
www.C4Precision.com
Old 01-31-2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Charlie View Post
Kimber pepper blaster 2. I have given them to almost every woman in my family. Its only $32 on Amazon.
FYI: many said the Kimber is illegal in CA, it is considered a firearm, because it uses a micro-explosion to propel the ingredients. that's why many places will not sell it to CA residence.
Old 01-28-2013, 7:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Saber Red is the most vicious stuff ever!

Prison Guards at Chino told me just showing the can is enough to stop most incidents.
Old 01-28-2013, 7:21 AM

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as well. Looking for something for my wife to carry.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Since I'm not old enough for a CCW yet, I carry Sabre Spitfire pepper spray. Picked it up for $15 at Sportsman's Warehouse... I chose this one because the shape makes it less likely that it will spray my own hand if/when I ever need to use it. http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...1260/cat100464

I also carry a nice sharp box cutter in my other pocket for good measure
Old 01-28-2013, 1:12 PM

I am a police officer and I can tell you from personal experience/exposure, get any brand, just make sure the ingredient is oleoresin capsicum. That's the key ingredient that causes all of the problems! It hurts and does not fade quickly. Stay away from the foam, just get the good old fashioned spray. Cheers!
Old 01-31-2013, 1:46 PM

I would not get any at all, find something else like a taser. Mace/Pepper spray is evil and the number of stories I have heard about the evil of it in use is astounding both from private citizens as well as LEO.

I have been hit with the back spray from a HUGE bottle of Bear Spray before and since I was in a high adrenaline situation it did NOTHING to slow anyone down. It was useless as long as the adrenaline was running. Once the adrenaline wore off, the greasy residue was on me for literally weeks and then it hurt and burned and was evil. So yeah it sucked to be sprayed with it, but in the situation it did nothing helpful. I had about 15-20 minutes before the pain actually became unbearable. If I used it in serious situation, I could see it simply pissing off the aggressor more thereby making matters far worse for me not better. After the incident of hell happened I started asking around and I heard story after story of every type of spray failing, misdirecting, back-spraying etc and all of them were about the same, the person using the stuff would NEVER use it again.

If you want an AMAZING German Shepherd, I know people www.ragnarshepherds.com.
Old 01-31-2013, 4:31 PM

UDAP Bear Spray.
Old 01-31-2013, 6:14 PM

I just recently bought my wife Fox Mean Green cone fog in 1.5oz. It is the same formula fox uses but with a green dye for identification. I also got her a holster for it so she can clip it onto her purse or waist.

I chose the cone fog because it seems to be the easiest to hit your target in a defense situation. With the stream spray you kind of have to adjust your aim as you spray.

IIRC 2.5oz is the most you can legally carry, which rules out most of the bear sprays.
Old 01-31-2013, 7:54 PM

I just got done researching this over the last few weeks.

OcRyan is right. 2.5oz is all that is legal to carry for personal defense. The bear spray vastly exceeds that.

I limited my search to those products which are fairly common and easy to acquire. Defensive spray expires, so you want to be able to refresh your stock easily.

After much research, I went with the Sabre 3 in 1 defense spray (not Red). The defense spray has tear gas as well as pepper spray so it will be useful for people but also dogs (our neighborhood is having aggressive dog problems). I got a combo kit with the 2.5oz canister and the key ring canister for under 20 bucks at ammo bros. Red does not have the tear gas.

Dogs tear ducts don't work like ours so the pepper irritant (OC) doesn't necessarily disable them. That's what the tear gas is for.

The 3 in 1 also has a uv marker dye in it.

I like the deployment package of the kimber pepper blaster but it is only OC, no CS/CN option. Worse it only has 2 bursts. The canned spray is good for 20-30 bursts so you can test it.

Keep some no more tears shampoo around. It's good for dissipating OC oil from your eyes if you catch some back blast in the wind.
Old 01-31-2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Choppas View Post
FYI: many said the Kimber is illegal in CA, it is considered a firearm, because it uses a micro-explosion to propel the ingredients. that's why many places will not sell it to CA residence.
They sell it at Bass Pro. It's at the optics counter by the laser grips, binoculars, and holographic sights.
Old 01-31-2013, 8:13 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Cold Steel Inferno. Seen it in use and it WORKS!

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 02-01-2013, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Cold Steel Inferno. Seen it in use and it WORKS!
Works on pissed off pitbulls.

And drunks...

Its what i carry.
Old 02-01-2013, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Something to consider.

Whatever brand she decides to get, get a few canisters and do some practice with them to see how far and how is sprays(stream vs fog).

Many of us here would never dream of carrying a gun without practicing our fast draw and having it down solid, yet people carry mace, pepper spray and other self defense tools all the time without doing something similar.

The time not to find out your pepper/mace sprays limitations is in an ugly situation when you need it.

Nicki
Old 01-31-2013, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The bear spray is only 3 to 5% so it can be in a larger can. If you have ever seen what 10% can do to a dog you would not worry. I had some kids sick their pit bull on me back in 2000 when I was working security at a Sacramento Bank. Emergency Services had to rush the dog to a vet. It went down and could not breath.

In 2009 my Security Company had a contract at a apartment building where some kids where fidling around with pepperspray. One of the kids was asthmatic and had to be rushed to the hospital. Everyone always thinks it's the eyes.
Old 02-01-2013, 4:41 AM
Calguns Addict

2.5oz is the limit to carry, but can you get a BIG can of BEAR Spray and leave it by the door just in case your kids is attacked by a dog in the front yard?
Old 02-01-2013, 7:31 AM

12403.7 (e) (1) No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5 ounces net weight of aerosol spray.

It up to you, if you want to take the chance in California. Just because some store is selling it, doesn't mean they have a clue it's legal.

Says in their own ad...NO MAIL ORDER SALES TO CA, NY, MA, DC.Commie States

http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...4/Default.aspx

to be technical, not sure if California DOJ considers CN (MACE) the same is OC (Pepper Spray)

Last edited by SoCal Choppas; 02-01-2013 at 8:40 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 7:57 AM

Sabre or Fox Labs
Old 02-01-2013, 8:18 AM

Saber
Old 02-01-2013, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I've read Fox labs had a stronger formula than Sabre, but both will work well. Just be sure to buy the type that sprays the "pattern" you want and practice with it first. Hope this helps you two any.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:14 AM

whatever she gets, make sure she can handle discharging it. My wife was issued the "good stuff" and she can barely handle using it in well ventilated large rooms. Some of her coworkers it has no effect on... either by genetics or immunity from their college days i suppose.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:26 AM

I will recommend, without reservation, Fox 5.3 in the stream option. I have used more of this stuff than I care to think about, on animals and people, and it was always effective. I recommend not using the cone type spray, since it limits the effective range, and is more likely to get you as well.

A word of caution, this stuff is far more potent than most any other type of OC. Once you use it, get clear of the area ASAP. If you spray it indoors, get out of the building.

I once sprayed a guy with this stuff who was raging on a mixture of alcohol and cocaine, and it stopped him in his tracks. I had deployed the OC in a breezeway, and in less than 30 seconds, I was snotting up even though I had not caught any of the back-spray.

I carry a 4oz can when I'm on duty and a 2.5oz can when I'm in my civvies.
Just my $0.02
Old 02-01-2013, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by intruder1_92tt View Post
I will recommend, without reservation, Fox 5.3 in the stream option. I have used more of this stuff than I care to think about, on animals and people, and it was always effective. I recommend not using the cone type spray, since it limits the effective range, and is more likely to get you as well.

A word of caution, this stuff is far more potent than most any other type of OC. Once you use it, get clear of the area ASAP. If you spray it indoors, get out of the building.

I once sprayed a guy with this stuff who was raging on a mixture of alcohol and cocaine, and it stopped him in his tracks. I had deployed the OC in a breezeway, and in less than 30 seconds, I was snotting up even though I had not caught any of the back-spray.

I carry a 4oz can when I'm on duty and a 2.5oz can when I'm in my civvies.
Just my $0.02
Police exempt from the 2.5oz legal canister size limit?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Police exempt from the 2.5oz legal canister size limit?
Yes, but so are security guards when properly licensed.
Old 02-01-2013, 1:25 PM

Perfect timing to have stumbled across this thread! I was looking for something to keep in my purse until carry is allowed for self-defense.
Old 02-01-2013, 1:31 PM

Kimberly Pepper blaster, couple extra bucks...

Sent from the Jungle.
Old 02-01-2013, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

What is the point on a limit? Aside from a weaker and shorter streamer that contains less. What actual point does it serve preventing a woman on a jog from carrying 4oz of spray?

I'm an advocate of Cold Steel Inferno myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 02-01-2013, 3:25 PM
In Memoriam

Fox, stream. **** burns like all hell. I've both been sprayed with it and had to use it. I never received any complaints that I should have used more..

I will add, change out your spray every 2 years or so, it will lose its propellant power over time as all aerosol cans do... Don't be the retard who buys a can, then 7 years later needs it and doesn't get a stream when fired.

Last edited by Bizcuits; 02-01-2013 at 3:28 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 5:50 PM

In my profession, I always carry more than one can, to have a back up. Never test the spray...it will almost always leak or slow leak out the propellant.

if you are in a sketchy area (People or Dogs), always have the spray ready in your hand...you don't want to be fumbling with it to get the proper orientation. Spray and Spray and run in the opposite direction, you don't want to run into your cloud/mist of OC/CN

Last edited by SoCal Choppas; 02-01-2013 at 5:57 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 6:49 PM

PM sent.