Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation San Joaquin

UPDATE (2014 April 11): It's time to apply!

We have confirmed that active CCW's have been issued purely for "self defense" and "personal protection" and are now active since the Peruta case

The sheriff now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause.

Good Cause: Applicants must establish that good cause exist to support a request for a license to carry a concealed weapon. Personal protection or self defense is sufficient to establish good cause.
http://www.sjgov.org/sheriff/ccwRequirements.htm

Please help us spread the word - we need everyone to apply!

End of update.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download, complete and print the DOJ Standard Application here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf.
    a. Structure your good cause statement as either a) “I wish to acquire a firearm carry permit for the purpose of self-defense”, or b) if you have a good cause which approximates one from those we posted here, you can state the same good cause (as long as it’s truthful – it’s a crime to lie on the application).
    b. DO NOT SIGN the application; you will sign when you turn it in and SJSO will witness/countersign.
  2. Make two checks or money orders out to “San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $19.00 and $120.00, respectively. (make sure to put the check numbers in the cover letter under “enclosures” and in the transmittal letter).
  3. Complete the missing information in the cover letter (attached), print, and sign.
  4. Complete the letter of transmittal (attached) and print 2 copies (one for you, one for them), making sure to date the top for the date of your appointment.
  5. Scan all documents.
  6. Contact Sgt. John Palmer and schedule a time to drop off your application and be fingerprinted.
  7. Drop off your cover letter, application, and check. Have Sgt. Palmer or another SJSO representative sign, print name, title and date your letter of transmittal and TAKE THIS COPY HOME.
    a. Point of information: their 90-day deadline clock starts on this date.
  8. Scan your signed letter of transmittal.
  9. Email me your scans.
  10. Keep me posted!

Attachment 76408
Attachment 76406

Last edited by Paladin; 04-12-2014 at 1:38 PM.. Reason: added Alert symbol; removed dead link from OP; added new official GC info
Old 10-27-2010, 7:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I should have San Joaquin good cause statements online by next weekend.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 10-27-2010, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

My information is that getting a CCW in San Joaquin Co. is tough as nails, HOWEVER, now that Sacramento Co. and Stanislaus Co. have come around then perhaps SJ Co. will soon follow.
Old 10-28-2010, 3:58 PM

My Father just left the SO. He arrived there to find out the process and/or pick up and application. He was told that he would need to call and scheduale an appt. for an interview with Detective Palmer. Detective Palmer is on vacation for 2 weeks and to try back then. I will keep you updated.
Old 10-28-2010, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
My information is that getting a CCW in San Joaquin Co. is tough as nails, HOWEVER, now that Sacramento Co. and Stanislaus Co. have come around then perhaps SJ Co. will soon follow.
I hope so because I look foward to applying for my ccw in the near future!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 PM

I was hoping things have changed. I can't find any info on the current san joaquin sheriff's stand on ccw.
Old 10-29-2010, 1:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietfrost View Post
I was hoping things have changed. I can't find any info on the current san joaquin sheriff's stand on ccw.
We can't discuss anything yet, but know that both known "good cause" statements and some backstory will be available within a week or so.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We can't discuss anything yet, but know that both known "good cause" statements and some backstory will be available within a week or so.
Wildhawker....Any info available yet? It's been not 1 but "2 weeks" () since your post. I've got a cousin that lives in Lodi and is very interested in getting his CCW. I'm forwarding this thread to him and I'm sure we'll have a new Calguns member shortly. and a tip of the hat to you for all your hard work !
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Chuck View Post
. I've got a cousin that lives in Lodi and is very interested in getting his CCW.
If he lives in the city limits, he's got an extremely slim chance. I was denied even being given an application. I was told to call the man who handles CCW's for the city, and after a 5 minute phone conversation, I was denied the application.

Last edited by DRAB_81; 02-15-2011 at 6:36 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fortunately (?) for me, I live in a city with SJCSO contracted services. Lathrop has no city police force and therefore relies on contracted services from the county. I'm eager to hear when I should try applying for my CCW as I will need to apply direct to the SO for this.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Have you taken The Pistolero Challenge?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM

good info
Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have two older brothers in Stockton, both are former Reserve Police Officers. Since leaving the force, both have been denied CCW's. I'm sure that they'll both be Calgunners soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

YO-YO, "one step above a normal citizens" means he expects a donation to his campaign fund. How much is the CCW worth to you?!!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM

i have been a stockton res, for 29 years. I would hope i can get a CCW especially since the police budget cuts and city's issue of insolvency. Bottom line its a very criminally active city.
Old 06-22-2016, 7:01 PM

I live there too, and if anything every law abiding citizen needs a gun. I hope the county starts issuing more permits. Maybe the criminals would move away, hopefully to SF.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al45Cal View Post
I live there too, and if anything every law abiding citizen needs a gun. I hope the county starts issuing more permits. Maybe the criminals would move away, hopefully to SF.

We need to start a rolling a advertisement on racebook of how criminal business is booming and profits skyrocketing in sf.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 06-24-2016, 2:12 PM

Default Time Flys

My renewal is due in 5 months. Friend at the SJ Sheriffs office said to start the renewal process at least 4 months before. Just made my renewal appointment for next Tues. 6/28. Here we go again! Wish they were good for longer than 2 years!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 PM

Had my renewal interview yesterday. He confirmed Sheriff Moore isn't changing anything. He said they are getting a lot of renewals and that I should here back in August but not to come in until just before it expires end of October because the 2 years will start again from the renewal date. I also asked if I should wait until approval to get my training and he said I can get it anytime.

Last edited by Blue Ox; 06-28-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The delay is my fault, but should be rectified soon.

Old 11-17-2010, 1:32 PM
Calguns Addict

The sheriff must take your application if you live in the county, they may not refer you to you local city. If that happens contact Gray.
Old 11-17-2010, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

SJCo good cause statements are in hand, scanning tomorrow and redacting Fri-Sat.

Sheriff Moore must accept all applications. They are acutely aware of this (I had a face-to-face meeting at their office yesterday).

-Brandon

Old 11-17-2010, 3:10 PM

Quote:
SJCo good cause statements are in hand, scanning tomorrow and redacting Fri-Sat.

Sheriff Moore must accept all applications. They are acutely aware of this (I had a face-to-face meeting at their office yesterday).

-Brandon
THANK YOU!
Old 11-17-2010, 8:58 PM

Quote:

-Brandon
WTF, how do you do it?

twist his arm?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Residents of San Joaquin County:

CGF needs your assistance in a Initiative-related action ASAP. We're looking for volunteers who are free from prohibiting conditions (preferably free of LE encounters/incidents, arrests, and extensive traffic moving violations, but do go ahead and sign up regardless as we need a diverse cross-section of volunteers for the various upcoming activities). We would especially appreciate your participation if you are a resident of an incorporated city within San Joaquin County, but all who reside within the county should please go ahead and confidently sign up to assist. Anyone who's been denied by SJ County (or a city within the county) within the past 2-3 years should also definitely contact us. Also, make sure you pass this info along to your friends and family who might be interested in helping the cause.

If you're looking to get involved and make a real contribution towards advancing our Second Amendment rights in San Joaquin County and throughout California, head over to CGF's volunteer page, fill out a simple one page form and submit it securely to us, or email your information per the below to volunteer@calgunsfoundation.org.

Here's what we need to get started:
Last Name
First Name
City
County
Zip Code
Email Address
Phone
CGN Username (if any)
Carry license (CCW) holder (past/present)?
Carry license (CCW) denials?
If you already emailed or submitted your info to us, look for an email from me soon (you may already have one as you're reading this post; if you don't, please do reach out via PM or email).

Thanks for your continuing support of CGF's ongoing carry-advancing efforts. Please do consider sponsoring your county and reaching out to your favorite SJ County FFL to urge their support of our Carry License Reform and Sunshine Initiative. Freedom isn't free, and we appreciate your consideration in this regard.

-Brandon

Old 11-18-2010, 7:20 AM

This mean we should go out in force and apply for a ccw?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconphreak View Post
This mean we should go out in force and apply for a ccw?
Please just sign up to volunteer and follow our instructions.

-Brandon

Old 11-18-2010, 7:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I've downloaded all docs and have registered as a volunteer.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

This is gonna be awesome

I have a question that may apply to others here: If I have submitted a live scan in the last year(COE) am I required to resubmit upon applying for my ccw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

Last edited by JagerTroop; 11-18-2010 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

You can review some of the Good Cause Statements approved by the San Joaquin Sheriff here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...27-san-joaquin
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

I looked at all the Good Cause Statements and it looks like the key is "large sums of cash".
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM

At 8:04 am on November 19th I sent ...the second email...No reply yet.

Last edited by wildhawker; 11-22-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: not in public
Old 11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I would expect that the Sgt is awaiting orders. Let's not discuss this in a public venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautert View Post
At 8:04 am on November 19th I sent... the second email...No reply yet.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
I looked at all the Good Cause Statements and it looks like the key is "large sums of cash".
Actually when I read them it pretty much seemed like "personal protection" was the key with common added things like "I walk at night" or "Hike/fish in remote locations". Basically pretty common, vague things that wouldnt seem to meet the "more than usual need" or "specific threat" rule commonly stated, and that apply to just about everyone.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 11-22-2010, 5:30 PM

Downloaded three counties today, so not sure these were all in SJ county.

What I noticed was lots of "to comply with the law".

Another was that some amount of cash can be worth more than some one's life. So with only a quarter in my pocket and I get held up, give the quarter away and the bad guy shoots me cause I didn't have enough? My quarter just too low a value to warrant having a CCW.

And of the ones I downloaded today, the best was: I carry lots of guns & ammo and need to keep them out of the wrong hands.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdavis View Post
Downloaded three counties today, so not sure these were all in SJ county.

What I noticed was lots of "to comply with the law".
Another was that some amount of cash can be worth more than some one's life. So with only a quarter in my pocket and I get held up, give the quarter away and the bad guy shoots me cause I didn't have enough? My quarter just too low a value to warrant having a CCW.

And of the ones I downloaded today, the best was: I carry lots of guns & ammo and need to keep them out of the wrong hands.
I saw that too. I wonder if that implies that, if they don't get a permit, they'll carry anyway?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 AM

i signed up to help, but have yet to receive a email.
Old 11-22-2010, 6:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think it's interesting that some Sheriffs require "good cause" e.g. transportation of money, etc. when they would almost certainly arrest someone for shooting someone to protect property.

Old 11-22-2010, 7:41 PM

Some of the good cause statements are very intresting and hard to belive an adult wrote the good cause statements!
Old 11-22-2010, 8:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

On Nov. 22, 2010, San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office removed their requirement that applicants who reside in incorporated areas first apply to their city PD Chief of Police; here's an excerpt of an email from the SJSO:

Quote:
"...as a resident of an incorporated city, pursuant to the California Penal Code, you have a choice in submitting an application to the Chief of Police of the city you live in, or the Sheriff of your county of residence."
We're optimistic that Sheriff Moore will continue to remove illegal requirements and restrictions from his policy and create a system of carry license issuance that's timely, fair and fully compliant with state and federal law without prompt by costly litigation.

I'd like to thank all of the San Joaquin County Carry Reform Initiative volunteers for their work in making this happen. If you'd like to get involved in similar Carry Reform efforts, sign up at www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer.

For more information on the status of our efforts in San Joaquin county, including approved "Good Cause" statements, please visit http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...27-san-joaquin.

Old 11-23-2010, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm hearing that the entire process at the SJ Sheriff's Office is ~40min start to finish, including Livescan.