Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-25-2013, 4:13 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Mount and glass for M1A - Picked and purchased!

I have a standard-from-Springfield M1A (not the Scout). It currently has just iron sights.

I have old eyes. Nothing wrong with irons, but I just can't see very well at distance, so I need to add magnification.

I do not hunt; I have no interest in real long-distance shooting; night vision is not an issue. Daylight, 200 yards or so, COM on man-sized targets is the application.

Budget is roughly $600 for base, rings and optic. Certainly under $1000 - I just can't go that far under any circumstance I can foresee.

I'd like to keep the iron sights on the gun, in case the optic might break; with that in mind, I'm biased in favor of ruggedness on the scope, if I can afford it.

What combination of base, rings, and scope would you recommend?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Basset Machine makes an excellent mount that is reliable and easily installed and removed. I use a 4x fixed power scope, but a Burris or Leupold 3x9 would suit you fine based on your budget.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I really like the ARMS 18 mount. To me it looks the best, like it blends in with the receiver. More importantly, it is rock solid. You will need higher rings though.

http://www.botachtactical.com/arms1.html
Old 10-27-2013, 3:22 PM
Administrator

Is it the case that the Arms mount is fussy about receiver specs? I looked at the installation instructions and kind of got that impression.

I have no idea whether mine is built to spec. It's post-2000 but don't recall exactly when it was made.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Just went back through my finances; looks like I can go up about $200, to about $800 for the package.

Spent time poking through review sites and Midway this evening.

M'gosh, there's a bunch of scopes out there!

Tending to think 30mm tubes, 50mm objectives, longer eye-relief, variable, max magnification under 20.
Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Vortex, couple Bushnells and Meopta have caught my eye.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 10-30-2013, 3:52 PM
Administrator

Settled on Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 RZ600 and Zeiss medium rings; Basset machine mount.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 10-31-2013, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Conquest is a good quality scope for the price. You might be able to get away with low rings. Do not forget to get a check riser for the stock. Scope will be 1.5-2 inches too high for any sort of check weld.

I also recommend the casm mount, it replaces the rear sight, it is the strongest mount I have found and works with out of spec receivers. Here is my casm mount with ior 3.5-18x50 scope.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I have a low riser (more of a cheek-pad, really) now, but probably need to get a higher one. It already seems that I'm hunched over to get a sight picture; I hope I'll be more comfortable with a scope.

- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Librarian; 10-31-2013 at 11:06 AM..