Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-01-2014, 6:07 PM

Default First Time Hunting Suggestions

Hey everyone!

I've recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 30-06, for the sole purpose of wanting to go hunting for the first time. I want to start off with deer or elk, and I would prefer not sitting in a blind or stand for a week. Any suggestions of where I should go and how much I should expect to spend in order to have a great experience?

Thank you
Old 02-01-2014, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cana1911 View Post
Hey everyone!

I've recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 30-06, for the sole purpose of wanting to go hunting for the first time. I want to start off with deer or elk, and I would prefer not sitting in a blind or stand for a week. Any suggestions of where I should go and how much I should expect to spend in order to have a great experience?

Thank you

Start here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=412731
Old 02-01-2014, 6:11 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Do you have a license or safety certificate?

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Thank you
Old 02-01-2014, 6:30 PM

Refreshing......... He is not asking if his ar15 is a good hunting rifle then whining when we tell him no.

Where are you from? I'm gonna do some varmit hunting next weekend you can tag along.
Old 02-01-2014, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptuna View Post
Refreshing......... He is not asking if his ar15 is a good hunting rifle then whining when we tell him no.

Where are you from? I'm gonna do some varmit hunting next weekend you can tag along.
That first sentence is too funny! How true.
Old 02-01-2014, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you're not successful, don't get discouraged! (1+ year hunter here without any kills).
Old 02-01-2014, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Cana1911, do not be discouraged here. You will get some good info. Give these guys a bit more info of where you want to hunt, etc., and they will help out.
Anybody who is just starting out always has some things to learn and get ironed out. Ask away.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

PM me for an excellent elk or pronghorn hunt which is not overpriced.
Old 02-02-2014, 9:18 PM

Well you're going to have to wait a while to hunt those kinds of animals, but you can definitely start with some coyotes and jackrabbits which can be hunted year round. If you have a shotgun or can borrow one, I suggest perusing some rabbits until season comes around.

Right after I got my hunting license, I couldn't wait to get out and try it. I couldn't imagine waiting half a year for big game season to come around...
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 PM

I havent gone to my safety course just yet but I am planning on going within the next few weeks to get certified, I have a spot on hold for me at bass pro shops course.I know that once I pass that CA approved hunting course I can begin applying for tags. Also I know that you can hunt wild hog pretty much year round but I am not interested in that particular game animal just yet. I want to properly prepare for my first hunting experience this year by getting a tag for a deer or if possible an elk. I would like to hunt out here in our great but over bureaucrat state of california, but I just dont know of any great guides and rates for their services. Like ive stated before my ideal first time would be a back pack trip to find the game and carry it out. I would like to have my first experience to be that of the time when frontier's men explored this great and beautiful piece of earth we have access to. The three states that I would like to go to for the first time are here in California (optimal since I live in Los Angeles) the second is North Carolina and then Colorado as my final option.

My Biggest question is what would you suggest for a first time hunter to prepare and or look at before setting out on a hunt. I ask this because I have time for deer season and I would like to set up a great experience for myself and some friends who are also interested. Thank you for any and all information or suggestions recommended it means a lot from such a great community of enthusiasts. Please feel free to ask me questions or suggestions as to what im looking for or different options that are best suited for a first time hunter. I know that as time goes by, and the more knowledge is learned through experience and help from others.

Thank you all and I hope to hear from you soon!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Im right there with you, I just bought my first hunting rifle. Deer or boar hunting sound fun but I dont know where to go in So Cal except somewhere like Big Horn Ranch. But spending almost $500 for a Feral Boar hunt sounds crazy and not that fun since its fenced land.
Old 02-03-2014, 5:15 AM

Quote:
I havent gone to my safety course just yet but I am planning on going within the next few weeks to get certified, I have a spot on hold for me at bass pro shops course.I know that once I pass that CA approved hunting course I can begin applying for tags. Also I know that you can hunt wild hog pretty much year round but I am not interested in that particular game animal just yet. I want to properly prepare for my first hunting experience this year by getting a tag for a deer or if possible an elk. I would like to hunt out here in our great but over bureaucrat state of california, but I just dont know of any great guides and rates for their services. Like ive stated before my ideal first time would be a back pack trip to find the game and carry it out. I would like to have my first experience to be that of the time when frontier's men explored this great and beautiful piece of earth we have access to. The three states that I would like to go to for the first time are here in California (optimal since I live in Los Angeles) the second is North Carolina and then Colorado as my final option.

My Biggest question is what would you suggest for a first time hunter to prepare and or look at before setting out on a hunt. I ask this because I have time for deer season and I would like to set up a great experience for myself and some friends who are also interested. Thank you for any and all information or suggestions recommended it means a lot from such a great community of enthusiasts. Please feel free to ask me questions or suggestions as to what im looking for or different options that are best suited for a first time hunter. I know that as time goes by, and the more knowledge is learned through experience and help from others.

Thank you all and I hope to hear from you soon!
Either put in the time finding deer before the season, pay trespass fee, pay a guide, or pay a guide and a trespass fee.

Elk tag in Ca is out of the question for many years.

Last edited by Toptuna; 02-03-2014 at 6:01 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 5:56 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

For the OP. Your comment about being like frontiersmen and wanting to carry out your deer are possibly a tinge romantic. Reality is you want to find the easiest way to get your animal out b/c it's not easy nor would anyone call that fun except that means you got something.

You can apply for deer and elk starting in May or so in CA. The elk tags go to some max point people and some random point people.

What you and the other guy a few posts above need to do is get some maps of national forest and blm land and start scouting now. That can mean just learning the area and trying to find deer sign, practice trying to sneak up on them, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.