Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Review of the Bushnell 1-4x24mm Throw Down PCL , updated from range

Alright guys, here is a preliminary review, more will follow, and some pictures of the new PCL from Bushnell.
Starting it off, the Throw Down PCL is a new optic in the AR Optics series from Bushnell that has more features than you would ever think to find in a scope at this price point. 30mm tube with about 60’’ of internal travel at 100 yards, roughly 60 ‘shooters’ MOA of travel, Illuminated reticle with 11 positions on the rheostat, Bushnell’s new BTR-1 reticle, First Focal Plane reticle, fully multicoated optics, folding power control lever, .1 mil click adjustments, roughly 9.5’’ in length, less than $300 retail!!
Usually a 30mm tube at this magnification would give you much more adjustment. I counted it out and I got about 11 full revolutions at 60 .1 mil clicks per revolution with 45 clicks left on the last. Looking like around 700 +/- clicks, so you will have about 70’’ of travel at 100 yards, so not bad, especially because of the reticle’s holdover ability. Every click was solid, audible, and tactile. Horizontal indicators to show elevation travel on the turret as well. Not lockable however.
Optics were clear and bright. Obviously you’re not getting Vortex PST 50mm brightness, but compared to the PST 1-4x24mm, it is on the same playing field in regards to the brightness. I didn’t notice much spherical aberration and looking at a brick wall with white mortar about 100 yards away, no real noticeable chromatic aberration.
The BTR-1 reticle works well. Due to the scope being FFP, at 1x the reticle size reminds me that of an 1.5x Acog with horseshoe reticle, easy to pick up but not be too busy. Also, at 1x I could use my front iron with minimal noticed distortion. As the magnification was dialed up, the reticles drop features became more clear and easy to pick up. 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard drops designed for the 223. Now, as in any drop reticle, this feature follows a generic trajectory so there will be variances. If you’re a true shooter, range time and dope cure all. As for the illumination, I kept it at 3-4 indoors, but outdoors on the higher end. Illumination was crisp and no bleeding out. Didn’t put off any glare. A very well designed and engineered illuminated reticle with plenty of positions on the rheostat (11). One feature I do like on an illuminated reticle that isn’t preset is a off position between each setting, however, for a sub $300 scope, I’m not complaining. No battery life report as of yet, I’ll run it out myself to verify and report back. If you don’t like an illuminated reticle? Leave it off.
I like the PCL, power control lever. In various shooting positions it is comfortable and easy to get to. Muscle memory was quick with it and it’s easy to feel what magnification setting you are at if you are more selective. Folds down and does not inhibit the vision in the non-dominant eye if shooting with both eyes open. A rubber o-ring on the lever makes sure to not have a metal on metal contact when throwing the lever back down. Now, I’ve never used a power control lever before this scope, never really had the need. But, like my Magpul BAD lever, it’s one of those nice features that I can certainly enjoy that has its place and it very useful.
Eye relief is listed at about 3.6’’ and I would call that about right. I have a DD 6 position tube with a Magpul ACS stock and I run it at position 4 usually, so you can see where head placement to scope placement is for me at least. Mounted in a Burris PEPR and my Magpul MBUS rear fits perfectly under it.

This is prelim guys, I’ll have a full review up soon after I shoot it. Feel free to ask any questions!
Conclusion before shooting is this is a very reasonable and useable product. Bushnell is giving us a package that has the desirable features such as FFP, .1 mil clicks, drop reticle, 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, and compact. Big Picture, all this for under a $300 retail!

Trevor B

20130401_142220.jpg

20130401_142230.jpg

20130401_142325.jpg

20130401_142344.jpg

20130401_142355.jpg

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 05-14-2013 at 7:56 AM..
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default reticle

20130401_142448.jpg

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

When does it ship?
Old 04-01-2013, 1:00 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

nice prelim write-up...

One question - does the throw lever lock in place (up and down)? If so, how does it lock (twist, push, lever, or?)... if not, is it secure enough not to flip down when adjusting magnification?

I've come to really like using power ring throw levers - MGM makes a great product "Switchview" and 3gunstuff makes a decent product (a few different styles - I like MGM's better)... but I like the idea of having the lever built in (cost savings and convenience).
Old 04-01-2013, 1:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

TZL, just wrote Bushnell to get the best ETA possible.

LB, good question. Lever does have a spring and detent system on the joint. It does have a snap up and down effect. It seems like it would stay in place until physically hit/slapped, pushed down. I will double check to make sure under recoil if its moves from position, up and down.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 04-01-2013, 2:00 PM

That looks pretty nice I just called Bushnell I ordered mine on the 7th of Feb. They told me I should have it by the 18th of April. They told me that over 1300 have already been ordered......
Old 04-01-2013, 2:03 PM

Bushnell offers a VIP program discount on all their products. If you are Law Enforcement or in the Armed Services. Contact their customer relations and let them know you are LE or in the armed service and they give you a special VIP code, you go to their vip website and order directly from Bushnell.
Old 04-01-2013, 2:06 PM

How is the scope at 1x magnification how close is it to a true 1x.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A bit off topic, but what trigger is that?
Old 04-01-2013, 4:47 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
TZL, just wrote Bushnell to get the best ETA possible.

LB, good question. Lever does have a spring and detent system on the joint. It does have a snap up and down effect. It seems like it would stay in place until physically hit/slapped, pushed down. I will double check to make sure under recoil if its moves from position, up and down.

Trevor B.
thanks Trevor, I look forward to your future impressions...
Old 04-01-2013, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

I concur it looks good so far. Alot of features for the price and as a cheapo myself I always look for the value in a product. Thanks for taking the time to do a write up.

As a side note that trigger looks like a Geissele.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 04-02-2013, 2:24 PM

How is the 1x setting how close to a true 1x setting do you think it will be good at CQ use.
Old 04-02-2013, 2:33 PM

How is the eye relief and eye box?
Old 04-02-2013, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

How does this scope compare to the leupold mark ar scope?
Old 04-03-2013, 5:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Rfreezer, At 1x you notice a slight distortion. Its not like looking thru a red dot, but when my front sight was flipped up I could change my focus from sight to target easily so I could co witness with it.

Bombadillo,

Negolien called it!! That's a Geissele SD-E trigger grouping. First flat trigger I went with and absolutely love it. Glass rod perfect break at 3.5.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 04-03-2013 at 6:43 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 5:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

EvolutionGSR,

Eye relief was decent but not the most generous. It took me some back and forth in mounting to get to my ideal placement and full field of view without tunnel effect. +/- a few tenths.

97F1504RAD,

I really think they are two different creatures. This being a FFP is a game changer for this price point. I do really like all the features that Bushnell put into a scope at this level. I will say, with all the scopes that I've used, I'm going to leave this one on a while and really work it. Its got a lot in it and I didn't have to sell off a toy to get it.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 04-03-2013 at 6:44 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 1:21 PM

Did they ever get back with you on the shipping date?
Old 04-25-2013, 1:34 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb33 View Post
Did they ever get back with you on the shipping date?
it won't be before July:
http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...throw-down-pcl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 04-25-2013, 1:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer

It's looking like the end of July at the earliest for shipment. I see these being popular so if you dont mind a backorder list, that might be a good route.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Have you had this scope to the range yet...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Sure have! Writing a little more in depth review of how it shot. Overall, very nice. PM me with any specifics. Just have a lot of irons in the fire but will have it up soon.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 05-08-2013, 4:55 PM

is there any chance you can get pictures of the reticle at 1x and 4x.

im curious how it will appear in ffp
Old 05-08-2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasteve77 View Post

+1

Also, I already own a PST 1-4x. Do you think it's worth it to get this instead?
Old 05-09-2013, 7:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserM4 View Post
+1

Also, I already own a PST 1-4x. Do you think it's worth it to get this instead?
I'll try to get those pictures tonight. Rifle is on the bench now so it should be easy. Its important to keep in mind that at 1x this reticle (and scope) is designed for close quater. it looks like a horseshoe and the drop points are small, but it does work well. I'll try to get those posted tomorrow.

The 1-4x24 PST is an extremely nice scope. Lots of features in that package...but it is a $500 package. I think easily worth every penny. The PCL is below $300 and still a lot of nice features. I wouldnt say lose the PST and get the PCL....but I will say I do really like the folding throw lever and the reticle design...and for less than $300, its a sound choice for the starter or even experienced shooter.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 05-09-2013, 9:40 AM
Made in the USA

^^^ I have a 1-4x24 PST... and plan to get the PCL - no reason not to have both

most people have more than one rifle - and granted, you can't shoot more than one at a time so in theory you don't need multiple optics (especially if you use QD) - but at this price point I see no reason not to have both... on the other hand, I have way more optics than I need anyway
Old 05-13-2013, 6:18 PM

Really looking forward to the reticle pics!
Old 05-13-2013, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks interesting, I also have the PST 1-4 too.

side question, can you get any group buy deals for calgunners?
Ive been requesting deals and getting pretty nice deals on my recent purchases. 1 being the vortex viper HD spotting scope for a lot less than i expected.
My future purchase will be a ACOG, but not for a while as I will need to save for one of those.
Old 05-14-2013, 7:55 AM
Vendor/Retailer

At the Range.

Bushnell 1-4x24mm Throw Down PCL mounted on a Rock River AR with a Burris PEPR 30mm mount. All torqued down to specification and ready to go.
This was a fun shoot in that I was trying out not only a new scope but a new build as well. So there is always that excitement in the very first round down the pipe. Complete virgin build, every spring, detent, and screw. Needless to say, first shot went off perfectly. As always, I stick to Winchester Ammunition. Never have had an issue and it’s always my go to. Had 62 gr., 55 gr. and for some other testing I was doing, 45 gr Winchester varmint loads at 3600 fps. Now to the scope…

I will usually do a traditional bore sight with an AR, pop the upper off, and set it in a rest and adjust the scope to my sight picture through the bore and barrel. After that I’ll usually throw on a laser bore sighter, Sightmark Triple duty boresighter in green works amazing, then line it up at around 50 yards. This will generally get you on paper and pretty darn close. Did something a little different this time, no bore sighting, just took the first shot at 50 yards and wanted to see it I would hit paper. If not, easily throw the laser on. I used the Champion Visicolor targets with 4 extra bulls, absolutely love them and they are great. Easy to see shot placement through your optic alone. 1st shot at 1x, about 6’’ low and 2’’ right. More so luck to hit paper without bore sighting, but it almost felt like an omen to start to the day.

Now to the turrets. My initial impression was nice and solid but that was just a firsthand observation. Truth lies in the repeatability and precision of them. The PCL has .1 Mil turrets, so at 50 yards 10 clicks should give me 1.8’’. Instead of going right away with 33 clicks to get me up 6’’ in elevation, I wanted to check for that repeatability. Sub $300 scope, makes you wonder how that erector housing really functions. I went 10 clicks, 1.8’’ is what it should shoot…and it did. Second shot, third, fourth, all touching. 10 more clicks up in elevation, 1.8’’ higher and 3 shots touching again. Finished it off and at 14 more clicks it was hitting center with 5 shot groups, all touching. Going to windage, I clicked 10 left and shot out the center. Both elevation and windage turrets were repeatable and had solid audible clicks, but there seems to be a slight amount of play in them, but that doesn’t effect, or at least didn’t affect my sighting in.

Next to confirm the turrets, I like to shoot a box. Dialed up to 4x, still at 50 yards for this. If you’re not familiar with shooting a box, it’s shooting one round, then using your elevation turret to adjust up a set amount that you will stay constant to, in my case, I stuck with 10 clicks. Shooting once more, then proceeding to adjust your windage turret to the right 10 clicks (or whatever amount you choose) shot, 10 more clicks back down, shot, then 10 clicks to the left, which should bring you back to center and your original shot. If you make a near perfect box by solely using your elevation and windage, it’s one more test to show repeatability. The PCL shot the box. It wasn’t quite perfect, but I attribute that to human error. Off bipod, not bags. This confirmed to me that the Bushnell PCL has a well-made and designed erector housing that you can count on.

The reticle. Looking through it in hand, nice, on rifle, nice, and shooting it, very nice. At 1x it is similar to that of a horseshoe Trijicon reticle and the BDC is a non-factor for my style. You are going for close quarter and center dot is easy to acquire. Reticle did not obscure any the target and there was well enough sight picture around the center dot to easily pick up the bullseye. Being a FFP scope, as I dialed up the magnification, it became clear to me that the BDC features I could only pick out at 3x and 4x. At 2x magnification they can be seen, but not utilized as efficiently for holdover. At 4x, the holdovers were easily acquired and used. Glass wise, pretty bright image and clear. Remember, its not a Zeiss, but it certainly is quality glass for the price. I also noticed very minor spherical aberration, nothing that will pop up unless you’re looking for it.

Walking out to 100 yards stopping at every 10 yard increment and shooting groups became boring. Sub MOA all day with consistent .6’’-.75’’ groups at 100 yards. 5 shot groups. My barrel has a 1:8 twist and I stuck with 62 gr.’rs for the rest of the shoot. After I knew the scope was staying true, I felt the need to try to induce a slight failure. Easy way to test the scope, drop the rifle. My rifles are tools, they are not safe queens. They have scratches and get used. Unloaded and cleared, dropped on the butt from about handguard at chest height. Then dropped on the side from about 3 feet, somewhat simulate falling off a bench or rack…and repeat that 3 times. Once more back at 100 yards, still holding zero. Me trying to elicit a failure had no effect…and I was thankful because I am really liking this scope.

I must say that I really do like the throw lever having used it more. It’s a smooth transition and the PCL is by no means stiff in the magnification ring but not loose either. Muscle memory began setting in near the end of the shoot which made for an even quicker transition. Also, switching back and forth from illuminated to non-illuminated to give that a test. Good and bad. Good being that the reticle did not bleed out at all. Number one thing that drives me crazy about illuminated reticles is how they are overly bright and hard to find a good setting and bleeding out. Not the case here. 11 positions which allow for a nice choice per your light conditions. Now the bad, really prefer the detents between each setting. I know it’s a luxury, but it’s still a nice feature. Also, I can’t tell you what the battery life is, but I can say it’s less than a week. I’ve drained it once already because I thought I had flipped the rheostat back to zero from the 8 setting but I guess I was off. Having the detents to keep me near my setting of choice and ease of on and off it’s a nice feature that I would like to see, if possible, but hey, for sub $300, I’ll live without it.

One regret I have and is that I live in Illinois, land of corruption and lack of long ranges and was not able to really stretch out the distance and give the holdovers a workout. I’ll have a chance for that soon and will update.

You know it’s always something cool when other shooters come up to see what you have, and that day was no different. They look and test it out and I always enjoy asking them what they think something like that runs. All guessed $500 or higher and all were shocked when I said what the retail is. This scope is a well built and designed and above all it reliable. It’s repeatable, tough, and has quality glass and coatings. Bushnell answered with a scope that put many features that shooters are asking for in a package that can be an impulse buy with any buyer’s remorse. Great for an entry shooter trying out .1 mil turrets or an FFP, or even an advanced shooter. Plenty of features that you want and need in a scope that won’t break the bank.

Feel free to send any questions!

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 05-14-2013, 7:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Looks interesting, I also have the PST 1-4 too.

side question, can you get any group buy deals for calgunners?
Ive been requesting deals and getting pretty nice deals on my recent purchases. 1 being the vortex viper HD spotting scope for a lot less than i expected.
My future purchase will be a ACOG, but not for a while as I will need to save for one of those.
I can certainly send that request over to our marketing guys and buyers!

picture update!! On the camera, just need to upload.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 05-14-2013, 8:57 AM
Made in the USA

Excellent review(s) Trevor! Thanks for taking the time

Like you, I really like the detents between illumination settings - that's a feature that would be nice to have on this scope... but the built-in throw lever is a nicety that you don't find on others (not quite a wash, since you can add a throw lever but can't add the off between illumination settings).

I definitely will get this scope when available - and look forward to it!
Old 05-14-2013, 9:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Glad to hear it!

I put a rush on it to get it up on the site for ordering. Should be up in the next few days!

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 05-14-2013, 3:20 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
Glad to hear it!

I put a rush on it to get it up on the site for ordering. Should be up in the next few days!

Trevor B.
cool - let us know when it's up... do you know the price point yet? Will it be cheaper than SWFA ($241.73 shipped)? http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-O...pe-P61352.aspx
Old 05-14-2013, 5:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Darn good reviews. Darn good.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:09 AM

Default PCL 1x4 Throw Down

Ordered mine in Feb, Just got off the phone with Bushnell they just got 400 in yesterday. Was told I will have mine by the 20th of June. The review only makes me want it more. I was also told they still have over 1600 on back order. The price on this scope being sub $300 is amazing. I can't tell you how much I paid for mine but if you are Military or Law Enforcement call Bushnell directly and ask to apply for their VIP program you will be amazed at the savings. It will turn an already great buy into an absolutely incredible buy. Good luck and I will post pictures of the scope mounted on my rifle when I get it. Oh please don't bust my balls about my BUSHY AR, lol. I paid $850 for it. It was like new in the box from a person I knew he only had 100 rounds shot threw it. And so far a few hundred rounds through it no issues at all. I did however re stake the gas key and castle nut to my liking other than that I love this gun.

Last edited by Rfreezer; 05-20-2013 at 7:11 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 AM

Any updated reviews on this scope?

Looking to get a scope for an 18" Stag 3g Upper. The Nikkon P223 line looked affordable BUT read a 1x4 is better for 3 gun.

Pleading ignorance here as I'm a pistol guy and iron sights on rifles, I'm pretty confused what the benefits of one over the other would be.
Old 07-15-2013, 7:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Lots of great choices out there. Nikon has their M223 in 1-4, Vortex PST, this PCL, and the list goes on. best to really narrow the criteria you're looking for. Nice thing about this PCL is that it combines ALOT of the features that are sought after in a smaller price tag, FFP reticle, 30mm tube, and that PCL.

If youre just getting into it, for the price, its a great way to go.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 07-21-2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasteve77 View Post

OP did you ever get these pictures?
Old 07-22-2013, 7:39 AM

Thanks for the review! Very excited to try one myself, looks like a lot of scope for the money.
Old 07-26-2013, 5:58 AM

Thank you for the review. I definitely have to consider this. Any word on availability??
Old 07-26-2013, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrayham View Post
Thanks for the review! Very excited to try one myself, looks like a lot of scope for the money.
The AR Optics line is pretty nice, I recently got the 3-9x40 version with some Nikon P-223 mounts.
Not the best pic but you get the idea