Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-23-2013, 5:16 AM

Default USMC The Basic School

Any fellow Calgunners been through? Im a little over two months in now and about to head to FEX 1. Any tips or pointers to make life a little easier here? Also curious if anyone has any advice about MOS choices and the selection process. Semper Fidelis.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:42 AM

You talking about for officers?
Old 03-23-2013, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyucbr View Post
You talking about for officers?
Yeah, what he said? I picked my MOS with my recruiter after getting my ASVAB test score.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:49 AM

Yes for officers, we get to choose our MOS at TBS about 3-4 months in. Our program is completely different from the enlisted side in regards to MOS selection. We go to OCS as either a ground, air or JAG contract, then compete for whichever MOS we want in that contract field.

Last edited by esnyderr; 03-23-2013 at 6:52 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 PM

Graduated from TBS class C 3-78. I imagine the program has changed somewhat. I was prior enlisted, as was about 1/3 of the company. Back then they had what was called the "Quality Spread" which supposedly meant that a distribution for the "popular" MOSes was made between the top, middle, and bottom third of the company. I wanted my first choice,which was artillery (I was an 0311 as an enlisted man and was tired of walking), so I tried to finish as high in the class as possible. None of us believed that "Quality Spread" crap. When I got on in years and talked to friends who had been SPCs, they said that when they were there they sat in a room, drank beer and had a NFL draft type thing. Turns out that in our company, the top guys in the class got their first choices, pretty much, and the bottom feeders got the Supply and Motor T slots. Bottom line, do the best you can, if you want combat arms, do well in the evals and training and make sure your SPC knows who you are. Semper Fi and good luck.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnyderr View Post
Yes for officers, we get to choose our MOS at TBS about 3-4 months in. Our program is completely different from the enlisted side in regards to MOS selection. We go to OCS as either a ground, air or JAG contract, then compete for whichever MOS we want in that contract field.
I see... I'm sure there's a big diff between enlisted and O's MOS selection. I was enlisted so not much I can tell you about officers MOS. But good luck one thing I learned is regardless always make the best of it.
Old 03-23-2013, 7:51 PM

you're in luck, I worked there as a staff instructor with the artillery battery from 2008 to the end of 2010. You will get to pick your top 10. The way it will work is that your class will be broken down into thirds at graduation. the top individuals of each third will recieve their top picks based on quota needs for each individuals desired top MOS. since most of you officers seem to want to be the like the huge bronze "Iron Mike" statue out in front of TBS HQ and want to go infantry, that gets filled up first, followed by the rest of the ground combat side of the house (combat engineers, artillery, tanks, AAV) the only exception to this is Marines with a flight contract, they will obviously go to their flight school.
So....if you want your top pick, be the top of one of the thirds, otherwise expect to get somewhere in your top 5.
hope that helped!
Old 03-26-2013, 9:05 AM

I wouldn't too much about your MOS, as I understand Marine officers tend to rotate around a lot and if you go career you might not end up retiring in your original MOS, Or at least that's what I've been told and that's the impression that I get, I was an air wing reservist so I can't really say that it's the 100% truth. I'd just go with whatever interests you that you're qualified for (based on ASVAB score) and be sure to take into consideration how impacted and competitive the MOS is, that will affect how fast/how often you get promoted (though that may be more of an enlisted thing) and how hard it will be to get that regular commission.

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I dont know if "choose" is the right word. I am a retired CWO3 and can tell you that all my peers, the ones I met as I climbed the ranks, stated that most picked their MOS, but some got their second choice. It could be just their luck, but thats what they complained to me about.

I retired in 09, so if something has changed, I apologize ahead of time. The way it was when I retired is that TBS broke the class out into 3 separate groups, all by ranking and that is how they are selected. This was to ensure that one MOS didnt get all the studs.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball View Post
I wouldn't too much about your MOS, as I understand Marine officers tend to rotate around a lot and if you go career you might not end up retiring in your original MOS, Or at least that's what I've been told and that's the impression that I get, I was an air wing reservist so I can't really say that it's the 100% truth. I'd just go with whatever interests you that you're qualified for (based on ASVAB score) and be sure to take into consideration how impacted and competitive the MOS is, that will affect how fast/how often you get promoted (though that may be more of an enlisted thing) and how hard it will be to get that regular commission.
The only MOS that really fits this at the Company Grade level is the 03's. The get so many FAP billets its crazy. Officers that are legal, comm, etc, pretty much stay the course until they become Capts. The game does change when they get Field Grade and start picking up command and school billets, then the rules are thrown outl.
Old 03-26-2013, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

If you want to be a man go infantry. That is the only mos you should be looking at
Old 03-26-2013, 7:58 PM

One other thing, if you go pilot and get Hornets/F-35s don't forget all that grunt stuff you learn in TBS because there's a chance that you'll wind up doing at least one tour with the grunts as a FAC and calling air strikes. So just because you got your wings of gold don't mean that you won't have to ever hump a ruck again.

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Whatever you choose just remember that you don't know anything your NCO's don't know.

A deployment anywhere>college

Don't try to change the dynamic of your platoon, shop, whatever you are in charge of unless it isn't working for them.

If you don't agree with something tactfully bring it up to the NCOs, SNCO don't be big dick lt and make it known you're changing stuff around.

Showing dominance is a childish move and trying to be best friends with everyone will have the same negative effect, find a happy medium.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Any fellow Calgunners been through? Im a little over two months in now and about to head to FEX 1. Any tips or pointers to make life a little easier here? Also curious if anyone has any advice about MOS choices and the selection process. Semper Fidelis.
When I was in the Corps, we sure as hell did no have internet access while we were training...

Times have changed! LoL

Good luck man! FYI, people won't take you seriously until you are a Captain at least, just be humble til'.
Old 03-27-2013, 2:55 PM

From what most new lieutenants fresh out of TBS tell me, they still divide into top/middle/bottom tiers for MOS selection. They've also warned that "gaming the system" (for example, performing mediocore because you're at the bottom of the top tier to try to be the top of the middle tier) doesn't work out too well for most lieutenants.

In 3 weeks I'll be concluding my first and only enlistment and the only real parting shot I have is maintain GAFF (give a **** factor), don't micromanage, delegate to your SNCO/NCOs, and don't make a fool of yourself in the Fleet (whether it be garrison, the Birthday Ball, or the field) unless you want your XO/CO to screw with your time.

Good luck, glad to hear you're safe after the recent crazy stuff happening down at Quantico lately.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 03-27-2013, 3:05 PM

How can you be posting while at boot camp. Thought outside communications were restricted. My apologies if I'm wrong.
Old 03-27-2013, 9:31 PM

Go LAR, I was attached to 1st LAR as an RO and pretty much every MOS within it was awesome

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-28-2013, 8:10 AM

You should probably also try to avoid the whole addressing yourself as Lt so and so over the phone, you're not fooling anyone, pretty much everyone knows that when you say that you're just a 2nd Lt. since 1st Lts will always answer the phone as 1st Lt so and so.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM

ESNYDERR,

TBS
This is not going to make it easier but it's the right way to roll:
-100% effort every time, all the time, in everything.
-Lead when it's time to lead, follow when it's time to follow.
-Volunteer, even for the **** that sucks.
-Take care of your peers and take care of yourself.

MOS selection
-Only way to guarantee you get what you want is to finish #1. That being said, the better you do, the better your chances of getting something you want regardless of where you fall-out in the tier rankings.
-Some MOS's have more opportunities for longevity. For example, there are a lot more jobs for grunts above Co grade than for tankers, trackers, PAO's etc.
-By this point if you’re not sure what you want to do I seriously recommend you think twice before listing any of the combat arms at the top of your wish list. See below.
-DO NOT try and game the game regarding tier rankings. Just do your best and take what you get.
-If you don't want an MOS, DO NOT put it near the top of your wish list.

General
-Take TBS seriously. Never forget or lose sight of the fact that when you reach the fleet you'll stand in front of the best this country has to offer and its most precious natural resource-enlisted Marines. Your decisions, character, successes, and failures WILL influence their lives for the better or for the worse. This is an awesome responsibility in the literal sense of the word and can't be overemphasized. You're in a business of blood where your mistakes can cost Marines their lives, limbs, and/or psychological well-being. Act according to this in and out of uniform, be real with them, and genuinely give a **** about them. If you ever stop giving a **** about them, get out—immediately.

Any questions PM me.

Delta Co 07; 0302

S/F
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
How can you be posting while at boot camp. Thought outside communications were restricted. My apologies if I'm wrong.
He's at The Basic School, not Officer Candidate's School. OCS, yeah it's basically boot camp. TBS is more like finishing school for Lieutenants before getting their MOS. You do have more free time, and if you're not out in the field, you pretty much have your weekends to yourself.
Old 03-29-2013, 7:55 AM
Banned

1) dont be a ***** snyder

2) anything other than 03 your a ***** and should refer to answer 1
Old 04-01-2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebwillis View Post
ESNYDERR,

TBS
This is not going to make it easier but it's the right way to roll:
-100% effort every time, all the time, in everything.
-Lead when it's time to lead, follow when it's time to follow.
-Volunteer, even for the **** that sucks.
-Take care of your peers and take care of yourself.

MOS selection
-Only way to guarantee you get what you want is to finish #1. That being said, the better you do, the better your chances of getting something you want regardless of where you fall-out in the tier rankings.
-Some MOS's have more opportunities for longevity. For example, there are a lot more jobs for grunts above Co grade than for tankers, trackers, PAO's etc.
-By this point if you’re not sure what you want to do I seriously recommend you think twice before listing any of the combat arms at the top of your wish list. See below.
-DO NOT try and game the game regarding tier rankings. Just do your best and take what you get.
-If you don't want an MOS, DO NOT put it near the top of your wish list.

General
-Take TBS seriously. Never forget or lose sight of the fact that when you reach the fleet you'll stand in front of the best this country has to offer and its most precious natural resource-enlisted Marines. Your decisions, character, successes, and failures WILL influence their lives for the better or for the worse. This is an awesome responsibility in the literal sense of the word and can't be overemphasized. You're in a business of blood where your mistakes can cost Marines their lives, limbs, and/or psychological well-being. Act according to this in and out of uniform, be real with them, and genuinely give a **** about them. If you ever stop giving a **** about them, get out—immediately.

Any questions PM me.

Delta Co 07; 0302

S/F
Pretty much the best piece of advice I've seen in a while regarding The Big Suck and life thereafter.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiedras View Post
He's at The Basic School, not Officer Candidate's School. OCS, yeah it's basically boot camp. TBS is more like finishing school for Lieutenants before getting their MOS. You do have more free time, and if you're not out in the field, you pretty much have your weekends to yourself.
ya but at OCS they get weekends off as well... thanks mothers of America for ruining the marines....
Old 04-05-2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post
Go LAR, I was attached to 1st LAR as an RO and pretty much every MOS within it was awesome
Dont go to LAR...they're a lost cause...Full of Marines who are so disgruntled. I cant speak for 1st and 3rd but 2nd is a lost cause. I cant imagine 1st and 3rd being any different.
Apache Company

Last edited by kurupted; 04-05-2013 at 6:20 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Congratulations man, glad to hear you've made it that far.
Old 05-10-2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcGuff View Post
ya but at OCS they get weekends off as well... thanks mothers of America for ruining the marines....
No they don't. Saturday from 1700 until Noon on Sunday. Kind of like recruits at San Diego who go to Padres games......

BLUF: Let it be known what MOS you want, and ensure your SPC knows WHY you want it. During the MOS mixer, talk to the Captains they bring in for each MOS.

Last edited by Apex_RS4; 05-10-2013 at 8:36 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_RS4 View Post
No they don't. Saturday from 1700 until Noon on Sunday. Kind of like recruits at San Diego who go to Padres games......

BLUF: Let it be known what MOS you want, and ensure your SPC knows WHY you want it. During the MOS mixer, talk to the Captains they bring in for each MOS.
The Padres games are during Marine week, so they have already been through bootcamp and are just out-processing/waiting to formally graduate. They are also in uniform and aren't afforded any freedoms besides going to the bathroom.
Old 05-11-2013, 4:32 PM

Marine week or not, they get to go to a Padres game during boot camp. I never recall being able to leave Parris Island for anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
The Padres games are during Marine week, so they have already been through bootcamp and are just out-processing/waiting to formally graduate. They are also in uniform and aren't afforded any freedoms besides going to the bathroom.
Old 05-15-2013, 8:35 AM

You joined the Marine Corps, and you have a penis. Your first choice should be 03. Your second choice should be 02, as you can serve as a STA and Recon platoon commander.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRaider View Post
You joined the Marine Corps, and you have a penis. Your first choice should be 03. Your second choice should be 02, as you can serve as a STA and Recon platoon commander.
well put
Old 06-15-2013, 3:39 AM

Got my MOS last night, 0402 logistics officer. It was my number one choice so im pretty excited. No thanks on being a grunt.
Old 06-15-2013, 7:16 AM

Good luck log-dog. Now bring me my chow!!
Congrats though. You'll find some disgruntled officers in that field but if you make the most of it and really care about being good at it, you can be a huge asset to the unit. Get to an Infantry Bn if you can. There is no better place to be.

13 years as an 0203/0202 staying with the grunts as much as possible.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2013, 1:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_RS4 View Post
Marine week or not, they get to go to a Padres game during boot camp. I never recall being able to leave Parris Island for anything!
Well thats what happens when you do hikes on flat ground.
Old 06-27-2013, 5:11 PM

LOL. Go Padres!