Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-18-2011, 8:48 AM

Default Any agencies hiring?

Any Law Enforcement agencies hiring right now in CA? any info that any of you LEO's can pass my way would be much appreciated! feel free to send in a pm if you dont want to post on this thread. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2011, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I can tell you Riverside Sheriff is hiring right now, but not sure how many they are going to hire. In today's economy, it is very difficult to get hire by police department right now. Good luck to you and I hope you have just more than high school diploma otherwise your chance of getting into door step will be very low.
Old 01-18-2011, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

LAPD is hiring I think. Saw a couple recent ads.
Old 01-18-2011, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
I can tell you Riverside Sheriff is hiring right now, but not sure how many they are going to hire. In today's economy, it is very difficult to get hire by police department right now. Good luck to you and I hope you have just more than high school diploma otherwise your chance of getting into door step will be very low.
Not necessarily true. If you only have a high school diploma and have demonstrated that you are more than competent to do the job and the agency can save an extra $10,000 a year for not paying you for a college degree level, they will hire you.

I'm currently #2 on the hiring list of a nearby PD. The #1 person on the list is my friend who only has a high school diploma and no military experience. He got called to the Academy a month ago. The reason why he was hired before me (according to Personnel) is because he was cheaper to hire. The exam and physicial assessment test were scored on a PASS/FAIL system and so was the interview. Everything else was identical: We both have clean backgrounds and both passed the poly. We were both deemed mentally fit for the job according to our written and oral psychiatric evaluations.

Back in the days a college degree could only help you, nowadays with the messed up economy, it can actually end up hurting you.

Last edited by Recession; 01-18-2011 at 9:47 AM..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Just got the word today that Los Angeles County Probation will start taking applications for Deputy Probation Officer I. You need a Bachelors degree and all the other Peace officer requirements. I have attached the flyer here. The department has not taken applications for over two years so this is the first group of applications. the Department is down about 450 Deputies, so we will see how many they will hire from the first group of applicants. good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deputy Probation Officer I RT (North County).pdf (307.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 1:02 PM

Default CA departments hiring

Here is a list of all agencies P.O.S.T. certified hiring right now and for what positions:

http://www.post.ca.gov/law-enforcement-jobs.aspxions.

This is a great site and is updated daily.
Old 01-18-2011, 1:37 PM

Kern Co. Sheriff is advertising for reservists.
Old 01-18-2011, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
Just got the word today that Los Angeles County Probation will start taking applications for Deputy Probation Officer I. You need a Bachelors degree and all the other Peace officer requirements. I have attached the flyer here. The department has not taken applications for over two years so this is the first group of applications. the Department is down about 450 Deputies, so we will see how many they will hire from the first group of applicants. good luck
Thank you for the tip.
I am interested on that job, but what I really want to work for a Border Patrol. That is what I really want to do, working at outdoors, riding ATV and tracking foot prints and stuff. I am very thankful I still have little over 11 months on my GI Bill and I get to attend school for free because of my military service. I wont have huge college debt when I graduate in next year or so. I just pray I will get hire by Border Patrol within 12 months from now on. I think three months passed so far with Border Patrol hiring process, but not in rush or worry because down time means more school time for me.

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 01-18-2011 at 2:29 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 6:18 PM

San Diego Harbor Police (Port of San Diego) will be having a test in the near future. They are currently looking to hire.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recession View Post
Not necessarily true. If you only have a high school diploma and have demonstrated that you are more than competent to do the job and the agency can save an extra $10,000 a year for not paying you for a college degree level, they will hire you.

I'm currently #2 on the hiring list of a nearby PD. The #1 person on the list is my friend who only has a high school diploma and no military experience. He got called to the Academy a month ago. The reason why he was hired before me (according to Personnel) is because he was cheaper to hire. The exam and physicial assessment test were scored on a PASS/FAIL system and so was the interview. Everything else was identical: We both have clean backgrounds and both passed the poly. We were both deemed mentally fit for the job according to our written and oral psychiatric evaluations.

Back in the days a college degree could only help you, nowadays with the messed up economy, it can actually end up hurting you.
That might be true where you applied but most agencies dont look down on a college degree.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim34 View Post
That might be true where you applied but most agencies dont look down on a college degree.
I never said they looked down on a college degree. With the state of the economy and departments nationwide struggling with a budget while still trying to fill positions, it makes more sense for them to higher someone who is willing to take less pay but is more than qualified to perform their duty.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at hiring the cheaper candidate is a short sighted goal that is at best a juvenile or contrived way of making budget. That is definitely not best personnel practices.

You know why we like educated candidates? It's not because they are smarter. It's not because they have fancy papers telling us they have a degree.

It's because the candidate has demonstrated the ability to stick to something long enough to earn it. The candidate also demonstrated a likelihood to be able to promote and be more useful than just another grunt who's going to spend 35 years on patrol with 7 hash marks on his sleeve, and no chevrons or butter bars ever.

Don't get me wrong, patrol gets all my respect in the world, but if I hire someone, do I want someone that can promote and move along the agency or fill other roles, or do I want the guy who's stuck in one position forever?

True cost of filling a position doesn't come down to first year salary. It's tracked along the lifespan of the candidate and what you get in return for your investment in the background, testing, pre-employment, and retention.

A grunt that fills one job forever doesn't do me any good from an organizational efficiency and personnel management standpoint. It is good for stability if I think I can count on him for 35 years sitting there, and I can worry about filling other spots, but patrol is not a young man's game. Eventually, your knees won't let you chase kids anymore the way you used to.

Not to say your friend might not have what it takes to promote or be a great detective or whatever, but from a personnel manager's standpoint, and even the chief's, what am I betting on in the long run when I invest my time and money hiring this one guy versus another guy whose education shows me something different?

We are asked to judge someone by 10-15 minutes of an interview that is largely canned due to various law suits and rules so we ask and hear pretty much the same things from the candidates. All we have after that is what the package shows me, then I have to make my recommendation on who I think would be the best candidate, not the cheapest candidate, but the one that is going to be the best for the department.

Which department has hiring practices like that? Looking to save a few trinkets as their basis for candidate selection? I'd love to hear it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Oh... LAPD and Riverside Sheriff are hiring, last I checked.

I heard Burbank was hiring as of a few months ago, not sure if they still are, but that's a great department.

Caljobs and Officer.com are great resources for LE jobs.

If you want to stay in state, that's what you got. If you want out of state, APB magazine always has the same listings for certain Florida and Arizona jobs.
Old 01-19-2011, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Looking at hiring the cheaper candidate is a short sighted goal that is at best a juvenile or contrived way of making budget. That is definitely not best personnel practices.

You know why we like educated candidates? It's not because they are smarter. It's not because they have fancy papers telling us they have a degree.

It's because the candidate has demonstrated the ability to stick to something long enough to earn it. The candidate also demonstrated a likelihood to be able to promote and be more useful than just another grunt who's going to spend 35 years on patrol with 7 hash marks on his sleeve, and no chevrons or butter bars ever.

Don't get me wrong, patrol gets all my respect in the world, but if I hire someone, do I want someone that can promote and move along the agency or fill other roles, or do I want the guy who's stuck in one position forever?

True cost of filling a position doesn't come down to first year salary. It's tracked along the lifespan of the candidate and what you get in return for your investment in the background, testing, pre-employment, and retention.

A grunt that fills one job forever doesn't do me any good from an organizational efficiency and personnel management standpoint. It is good for stability if I think I can count on him for 35 years sitting there, and I can worry about filling other spots, but patrol is not a young man's game. Eventually, your knees won't let you chase kids anymore the way you used to.

Not to say your friend might not have what it takes to promote or be a great detective or whatever, but from a personnel manager's standpoint, and even the chief's, what am I betting on in the long run when I invest my time and money hiring this one guy versus another guy whose education shows me something different?

We are asked to judge someone by 10-15 minutes of an interview that is largely canned due to various law suits and rules so we ask and hear pretty much the same things from the candidates. All we have after that is what the package shows me, then I have to make my recommendation on who I think would be the best candidate, not the cheapest candidate, but the one that is going to be the best for the department.

Which department has hiring practices like that? Looking to save a few trinkets as their basis for candidate selection? I'd love to hear it.
+1

Exactly what I was saying but put together more thoroughly lol
Old 01-19-2011, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

Just because someone doesn't have a college degree doesn't mean he lacks the potential or that he's not as capable of climbing the ranks as someone who does possess a college degree. On the same note, just because someone does possess a college degree, doesn't mean that he is capable of climbing the ranks either. I know a lot of people who I graduated with who just moved back home after college and live off of mommy and daddy until this day. They look at the overall picture.

With smaller departments, Personnel tends to give a lot more personal attention to the applicant, meaning a more thorough in-depth background investigation, a lot more interaction, and on top of that an interview with the Chief as opposed to larger departments that kind of move everyone along an assembly line process.

Obviously my friend had demonstrated with his life/work experiences that he is very passionate and ambitious when it comes to achieving his goals and more than capable of carrying out his duties. Having to pay him less was just a perk.
Old 01-19-2011, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recession View Post
Just because someone doesn't have a college degree doesn't mean he lacks the potential or that he's not as capable of climbing the ranks as someone who does possess a college degree. On the same note, just because someone does possess a college degree, doesn't mean that he is capable of climbing the ranks either. I know a lot of people who I graduated with who just moved back home after college and live off of mommy and daddy until this day. They look at the overall picture.

With smaller departments, Personnel tends to give a lot more personal attention to the applicant, meaning a more thorough in-depth background investigation, a lot more interaction, and on top of that an interview with the Chief as opposed to larger departments that kind of move everyone along an assembly line process.

Obviously my friend had demonstrated with his life/work experiences that he is very passionate and ambitious when it comes to achieving his goals and more than capable of carrying out his duties. Having to pay him less was just a perk.
At most if not all departments you are going to need a BA to move in supervisory roles. Yes, even small agencies. I work for a relatively small PD.