Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-05-2010, 7:35 AM

QuarterBoreGunner-

You probably know this by now but the only reason the first shot wasn't a showstopper was that it was on the wrong side. When I cut the guy's shirt off the first thought that hit me was "s**t, it's on the wrong side" (OK, it's a job, I don't have to LIKE them to fix them). The hole was almost exactly 4th intercostal (probably passed between ribs which kept it from expanding) mid clavicular on the RIGHT (patient's right, it would have been your left) side. If it would have been on the left it would have punched two holes (entrance and exit) in the left ventricle and he would have bled out before the hospital. I don't know if it would have dropped him like a sack, but he would have gone down within a minute or two. I know this from experience because I was trained in IC injections in 'medic school in 82 and that's one of the places we stick the needle.

Actually, MY funny memory was that we were dispatched to a 'scene not secure' GSW at a shooting range. I kept *****ing during the drive and while we were staging to my partner that the dispatcher needed to get the story straight because some moron had blown their brains out on the firing line and no one was at risk so what the f**k were we staging for (I think I had been the responding medic to most, if not all the Targetmasters suicides up to that point-lucky me). I expected that someone had rented a .44 magnum, painted the ceiling with their brains, and we would "call it" and get back to dinner. My partner 'Suzie' kept saying: "I'll bet someone tried to rob the gun shop." I said repeatedly: "GET REAL! Nobody's that f***ing stupid!"

When we were cleared and went in, the first thing I saw when we turned into the alley was the shop door and 3 people proned with SCPD standing over them with shotguns on our left and a guy wearing a black t-shirt, camo pants bloused into black boots and blood everywhere fighting with PD further away on the right. As soon as I saw you guys proned out it hit me what had happened and I said: "OH, S**T!"

'Suzie' got a lot of mileage out of "GET REAL! Nobody's that f***ing stupid!" and I heard about it for weeks. The fact that I had been her paramedic preceptor when she was an intern only gave her more incentive to rub my nose in it.

My nickname at work was "sniper", so all I heard was (the fact that she had a 'valley girl' voice didn't help): "And 'sniper' says: 'Nobody's THAT f***ing stupid!' ." Usually followed by a tongue sticking out.
Old 03-05-2010, 7:38 AM

QBG: Major kudos to you. Its not something that you asked to happen and I'm sure you would not wish it to happen again, but you prevented a tragedy of greater magnitude and appear to have maintained your sanity too.

Sniper5: I bet that guy's PCR is an interesting read...sounds like it was a lot of work to get him to the ER.

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.

Old 03-05-2010, 7:48 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

@sniper5 - Okay, I officially got the shivers reading that. So weird to hear the other side of it and so many little details that got lost.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-05-2010, 8:06 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

First time seeing this for me.

QBG- Kudos. Not only did you save the lives of the people involved that day, but also of people every day after that who may have run across that guy.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 03-05-2010, 9:14 AM

What an amazing story, it warms my heart that your all ok and the evil perp is behind bars. I couldnt imagine the adrenaline that must have been pumping through you.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Forgive me, I didnt read every page of the thread but I think it is quite an amazing story.

On a side note about .45 lethality. I just sat through a 5 week attempted murder trial where a woman shot her lovers wife in the head wit a .45 fmj and she survived. The round hit the right temple from behind at an agle and exited the forehead at the bridge of the nose. The woman lost her eye but survived, the holes were only .45 inch. Oh and the defendant claimed self defense and was aquitted, even though she shot at the victim as she was driving her car away from the defendant.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.php

Anything is possible!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I distinctly remember being proned out and a younger SCPD officer saying that he recognized 'Mary' but wasn't sure about me and 'Bob'.

That bastard.

I can only hope to be that cool headed if I should ever find myself in a similar situation, it took courage to lie to the guy when he asked if you were armed, not knowing the ramifications if he were to spot your Glock.

Glad you came out OK.

Last edited by Barkoff; 03-05-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper5 View Post
QuarterBoreGunner-

(I think I had been the responding medic to most, if not all the Targetmasters suicides up to that point-lucky me). I expected that someone had rented a .44 magnum, painted the ceiling with their brains, and we would "call it" and get back to dinner.
I was unfortunate enough to be working at TM in 95 when a young man pointed a pistol at her chest and pulled the trigger. Rob was the night manager at the time, unfortunately he had passed before the paramedics arrived. It caught my attention as the muzzle report was muffled and the crack from the bullet hitting the glass.

John
Old 03-05-2010, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow.........wow!

I also just spent the last hour reading the entire thread as well.

QBG, I'm really impressed with how you took each moment and waited for the best opportunity to make your move. It must of felt like hours before it came to an end.
Glad to know that you and your co-workers came out unharmed.
Thank goodness your here to share this story.

Sniper5, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I can honestly say I learned something here.....and I'm humbled.
Old 10-17-2010, 2:21 AM

awesome read.

As a random thought to a response from Sniper about how it was interesting it didn't make the news and how many times this must happen elsewhere...

well, I have a friend who works for a '3 letter' comany (hate the cliche but even I don't know though I'm pretty sure from clues but not saying anything here beyond that) after years in the military, one of the few things he's said is just how many times things like this and serious terrorist threats happen in so many suburban communities that we have no clue about...it would just freak the whole country out...kept saying we had no idea just how often etc. etc.

Says this with some really serious eyes...

Last edited by Porscheguy; 10-17-2010 at 2:23 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 3:07 AM

if enough people haven't said it already, quarter you are a hero and thank you for sharing.

these stories only make the news if they somehow positively contribute towards FUD and gun control. Stories that are clearly pro self defense have a hard time getting airtime.
Old 10-18-2010, 8:00 AM

QuarterBoreGunner, very impressed by your story.
I'll keep it in mind that you are a true hero and know first hand about HD whenever I read any post by you.
Old 10-18-2010, 1:57 PM

"Men don't die easily, they take a lot of killing!!!"

I saw a robbery video where a 65 yr. old man was shot point blank with .357 Rev. In the chest. And kept going at the robber!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 6:59 AM
Veteran Member

Incredible story. Thanks for sharing, QBG.
Old 10-19-2010, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post
it's not unheard of. I've read stories of skydivers hitting the ground 'cause their chute didn't open and survive. sometimes the body can do crazy things...
Yep. Just like that female officer from LAPD. Got shot in the heart (blew 3/4 of it out actually) finished the fight and lived. As far as I know, she is still alive and working today.
Old 10-19-2010, 7:26 AM

I read a story some time ago about a police officer back in the day who shot a man 5 or 6 time with his .357 mag and the bad guy shot him once with a .22lr. The officer died and the bad guy lived. Working as an RN in a hospital, I have seen several times where the police have shot people in the chest a few times with .40 S&W and had the bad survive with flying colors. I am not sure why people think guns are death rays, but they obviously are not. The human body is an amazing thing. Sometimes the smalles thing kills you, and sometimes you should be dead but very little harm has been done.

Ryan
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Calguns Addict

This thread is too good with QBG's story and Sniper5's random appearance.
This should be necro-bumped once a year for some real life CCW experience or placed in the "best of" section.

Great read and I'm glad you and your coworkers made it out all right.
Old 12-01-2011, 3:21 PM

Thanks for the bump. Amazing read.

QBG: Respect.
Old 03-19-2012, 6:08 PM
Proud Deplorable
CGN Contributor

Im gunna bump this, it needs to be read.

EDIT: Mods, can this be moved to OT?
/thread.

ΦΑ

Last edited by alfred1222; 03-19-2012 at 6:11 PM..
Old 03-19-2012, 8:55 PM

I'm so glad to have read through this, probably the best thread I have read on here. I shoot at Reed's so it's a bit surreal for me. You are a true hero QBG!
I've notice that the employees at Reed's are no longer open carrying, are they carrying concealed or not at all? Anyone have any info on this? I've always thought it a bit odd that the target masters employees don't carry at all. Now that I think about it my local shop(J&R's) the staff aren't open carrying anymore either.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Absolutely chilling...

Had no idea you had to go through something like this Chris...Makes me think twice about going to ranges, and being around firearms.

Do you think about that night often?

-Freq
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

I got done reading this thread and all I can say is WOW.

And I thought me being able to get up and walk little over a day after getting a 45 LC shot through the length of my leg was freaky.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM

damn crazy story.
Old 03-20-2012, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up NOOOO you didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post
it's not unheard of. I've read stories of skydivers hitting the ground 'cause their chute didn't open and survive. sometimes the body can do crazy things...
LOFL that made me about fall out of my chair. Well said sir... As a side not I don't care what anyone says or fear of the DA head hunting me. If I have to use a weapon in self defense I' am unloading a clip or two into the target until I no longer feel there is a threat. I for one am not going to shoot once or twice and look to see if their still a pending threat. I'd rather explain my actions to 12 than be carried by 6.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com

Last edited by negolien; 03-20-2012 at 3:43 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 6:56 PM

The human body is a strange thing. I've seen insurgents take 7.62 rounds to the chest and run away. I've also dropped one like a sack of rocks after a single 5.56, dead before hitting the ground.

Old 07-24-2013, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Amazing story QBG and Sniper!!!

I vote to make this a sticky!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-24-2013, 8:34 PM

talk about antiquated bump!

news update on reeds indoor range.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...-break-/nY2rz/

Bruce Lee
Old 07-24-2013, 8:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fluke. I don't care if its a 9mm or 10mm 9 shots is a good amount of shots. Guy wasn't meant to go down that night. Also huge factor depends on if these were reliable hollows or just FMJ. Again either way this doesn't show one caliber or another but this guy was dam lucky for any caliber. Just that much crazier it was a 45

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 07-24-2013, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

There was an incident in Skokie Illinois some years back. A cop armed with a Glock 21 shot it out against a wanted scumbag with a 9mm at close range. Classic nightmare case of bad guy stopping and exiting the driver's seat shooting.

Once the smoke cleared the bad guy had fourteen .45 ACP holes in him. It took 3 aimed shots from the cop to the scumbag's skull to end the fight-at which point he only had 3 rounds left in his last magazine.

Afterwards, the officer in question switched to a 9mm duty pistol. The relevant moral of the story, is that the number of occasions you shoot your gun in practice is more valuable then the number written on the side of the gun itself.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 07-25-2013, 4:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgiles View Post
talk about antiquated bump!

news update on reeds indoor range.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...-break-/nY2rz/
The thread on Reeds getting robbed had a link to this thread. I spent about an hour reading thru this first hand account from TWO that were directly involved. Amazing!

Again, I vote sticky!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-25-2013, 6:03 AM

I know of a case from the last year, where person was shot with the .45 ACP Hornady round (I don't know the weight of the bullet or its construction, JHP or FMJ) from 15-20 feet away. The bullet entered the mouth, knocked a few teeth and lodged against the vertebrae. The victim did not lose conciseness, was not paralyzed and was able to communicate with responding LEO.
Old 07-25-2013, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

I know of a case that the suspect was shot 10+ times in chest and like 8 times in the face
State got to pay for reconstructive surgery on his face
Old 07-25-2013, 6:26 AM

Read an article in the recent American Handgunner that said there was virtually no difference in stopping power based on actual cases between a 9mm, .40, & a
.45 cal. The percentages were almost identical & that there was just a certain percentage of humans that will get shot & not go down.
I will have to go home & reread that article because at the time it sounded incredible.
But them I was thinking about the case of LAPD Officer Stacy Lim who was shot in the heart at close range with a .357 Magnum but was able to draw & return fire, killing one of her assailant. She survived & is still working for the LAPD.
Old 07-25-2013, 7:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

One of the best threads I've read in quite awhile. Kudos to all involved.
Old 07-25-2013, 8:07 AM
In Memoriam

WOW, just got nothing done at work for the past hour. Great read

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 07-25-2013, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wow amazing read, thanks for sharing Chris/QBG
Old 07-25-2013, 8:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Tagged to share with everyone I know!!!! Maybe this will open the eyes of some wobblers I know!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 07-25-2013, 7:19 PM

This thread never dies. It seems to have taken on a life of it's own.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow