Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-21-2019, 5:11 PM

Default Anyone with Colt Python knowledge?

Got an opportunity to buy a colt python from a coworker whose trying to recoup some money. Serial number starts with A***** (5 digits). He wants 2200 for it. Is it worth it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 5:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Assuming the serial number is between AL0101 to AL9999 it was made in 1980. Difficult to tell from the photographs but there appears to be no significant wear, however two issues -

Bluing on the frame behind the recoil shield appears to be a bit cloudy. That could be just from the reflection or it could be the finish. I had a Python with that problem. It can't be reworked or polished out.

The original factory wood grips are missing - the period correct ones have the straight line top checkering pattern and cost about $400.00. A fellow on eBay makes near exact copies for about $225.00. The issues with that are a) they are brand new and look out of place on a gun with any wear and b) they look a heck of a lot better than factory original.

I would also want to check under those rubber grips and ensure the gun functions as one would expect from a Python. Rubber grips can trap moisture and cause surface damage, which may or may not be covered up by the factory grips.

$2,200.00 plus the cost of grips would be a "no go" for me.
Old 05-21-2019, 5:41 PM
Banned

Yeah, without the original grips, I'd be more around $1800.
Old 05-21-2019, 5:56 PM
This gun is liberty;
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: hold for certain that the day you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.

The finish on a well cared for Python is a thing of beauty. That is a nice Python but not a well cared for Python. Muzzle looks a little rough around the edges.
Old 05-21-2019, 6:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL, in California.............yes.
Buy it if the finish is not worn

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 05-21-2019, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

That Python is more of a shooters grade in my book. Maybe around 90% condition. I would say $1,600 to $1,800 is about the right price since it doesn't have the wood grips or original box and documents.
Old 05-21-2019, 7:38 PM

You could score 2 or 3 really sweet Smiths for that price.
Old 05-22-2019, 7:40 PM

I wouldn’t pay that much. The python market has cooled a bit and better deals can be found.
Old 05-22-2019, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

1. If you want a Python, buy the Python. Its value to you is not its value to us. For example, I have a 1972 Python 6” barrel in Nickel. My Dad bought it for me on my 21st BDay ($179), and I don’t want or need another.

Everything below presumes you’ve unloaded the gun....

2. Look into the cylinder chambers from the front. A ring of carbon set back about 2/3rds of the way from the cylinder end indicates more .38 than .357 (a good thing) and crappy maintenance (a bad thing.)

3. Check lock up on the cylinder. When the pistol is cocked, does the cylinder rotate? Look down the bore and rock the cylinder. If it moves enough to mis-align the cylinder from the bore, the price drops, and your repairs increase. You’ll understand why when the bullet forcing cone misaligns and shaves lead out of the cylinder gap.

4. Check end shake. With hammer down, pull and push the cylinder forward and back. There should be some movement, but not a bunch.

5. Check the alignment of the cylinder to the frame. Rotate the cylinder pulling back on it and watch the space between the cylinder face and the forcing cone. It should remain about 0.010” and not deviate. If it does, something’s wrong with the frame or the forcing cone. (I had a gunsmith FUBAR a Colt Lawman Mk III in such a way that the cylinder wasn’t true to the forcing cone. When the cylinder rotated, it bound up on one side as the cylinder face moved up against the forcing cone. Another gunsmith fixed it without a bunch of drama...and the first one paid.)

6. Swing the cylinder out, and spin it. Look for binding or wobble, any indication that the ejector rod is bent/warped.

7. Look at the underside of the top strap where it meets the frame above the forcing cone. If there is any erosion or metal pitting, it’s caused by heavy loads and gas escaping and cutting the frame. Find another Python.

8. On this gun, I’d want to know more about the ding on the end to the barrel...it doesn’t hit the bore, but it’s an interesting mark. There also are some contact points on the frame (left side in front it the trigger guard which would annoy me.)

Enjoy your decision. All you can do is evaluate everything you can and come to a decision that the price is right for you.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
1. If you want a Python, buy the Python. Its value to you is not its value to us. For example, I have a 1972 Python 6” barrel in Nickel. My Dad bought it for me on my 21st BDay ($179), and I don’t want or need another.

Everything below presumes you’ve unloaded the gun....

2. Look into the cylinder chambers from the front. A ring of carbon set back about 2/3rds of the way from the cylinder end indicates more .38 than .357 (a good thing) and crappy maintenance (a bad thing.)

3. Check lock up on the cylinder. When the pistol is cocked, does the cylinder rotate? Look down the bore and rock the cylinder. If it moves enough to mis-align the cylinder from the bore, the price drops, and your repairs increase. You’ll understand why when the bullet forcing cone misaligns and shaves lead out of the cylinder gap.

4. Check end shake. With hammer down, pull and push the cylinder forward and back. There should be some movement, but not a bunch.

5. Check the alignment of the cylinder to the frame. Rotate the cylinder pulling back on it and watch the space between the cylinder face and the forcing cone. It should remain about 0.010” and not deviate. If it does, something’s wrong with the frame or the forcing cone. (I had a gunsmith FUBAR a Colt Lawman Mk III in such a way that the cylinder wasn’t true to the forcing cone. When the cylinder rotated, it bound up on one side as the cylinder face moved up against the forcing cone. Another gunsmith fixed it without a bunch of drama...and the first one paid.)

6. Swing the cylinder out, and spin it. Look for binding or wobble, any indication that the ejector rod is bent/warped.

7. Look at the underside of the top strap where it meets the frame above the forcing cone. If there is any erosion or metal pitting, it’s caused by heavy loads and gas escaping and cutting the frame. Find another Python.

8. On this gun, I’d want to know more about the ding on the end to the barrel...it doesn’t hit the bore, but it’s an interesting mark. There also are some contact points on the frame (left side in front it the trigger guard which would annoy me.)

Enjoy your decision. All you can do is evaluate everything you can and come to a decision that the price is right for you.
Thanks for the detailed message. I will take all this into consideration.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Colt and S&W QC already had a straight south bound trajectory by late 1975.
Old 05-23-2019, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Marketplace Python