Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-14-2019, 6:19 PM

Default Action Consistency

I've shot 1911s more than other platforms, but began shooting DA/SA pistols a couple of years ago.

Currently have a fantastic Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail, and CZ-P01 DA/SA (which I very much like) on my CCW. The third allowed gun on the license has since been sold and am testing a Sig p220 SAS (Gen 2 DA/SA) as a replacement.

I'm relatively proficient with the 1911 platform, and have trained to keep my right thumb on the safety once deactivated and during shooting to prevent accidental safety engagement.

However, when transitioning to DA/SA platforms during stressful, or time-critical shooting, I find the first thing I do when unholstering and drawing is to reach/search for the safety with my right thumb (its ingrained from shooting 1911s). It may not be a long period, but it is noticeable and something I have yet to train out of.

So, stick with only DA/SA CCW platforms? Train more? the DW is a pleasure to shoot, is incredibly balanced, and is gorgeous. Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2019, 9:05 PM

If you change the weapon system, you will have to practice a lot to have the muscle memory. I currently carry a striker fire pistol. And, I have a few, including Glock, P320, VP9, M&P. They are similar and I do not have to worry too much about the differences of mechanical function of these pistols. My primary daily gun is a Glock 17. It is simple and easy to shoot. Do not have to think much about anything except draw and shoot.
Old 05-14-2019, 9:25 PM

I find its best to stick to 1 system at a time between carrying, HD, matches and practice.

If I'm carrying Glocks, I only take the Glocks to practice. The others stay home in the safe. CCW, HD and match guns will be Glock. I might stick to that for a few months at least, until I start missing the other guns.

After I'm in the mood to switch it up, I put the Glocks away and bring out the HK DA/SA pistols. I will stick with that only for a while.

And so on for my 1911's.... I just use them one system at a time, for a few months before changing it up.

That way I get to practice and enjoy all the systems I like and not worry about transitioning from one to another too much, which could be problematic.

Last edited by caliberetta; 05-15-2019 at 11:24 AM..