Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-13-2019, 9:41 AM

Default Computer powering up overnight

Purchased an upgraded and refurbished HP5750 to use as a backup to run CNC machines. 1T/4GB running XP Pro. It accepted and runs the 2006 software fine and serves it purpose.
Shutting down from the start menu I come in the next morning and at some point it powers up overnight.
I unplugged all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, screen) to see if they had any influence but did not.
The only other investigation into this was BIOS. I noticed all the power settings are "enabled" Mon-Sun and at the very bottom the time is set @00:00. I pulled that idea off the net but did not change anything at this point.
Short of using a surge protected power strip to manually shut power off I'm not really sure what to about it.
It's possible the computer was set up to power up automatically in it's past life. I'd rather it didn't.
Any thoughts?

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 05-13-2019, 9:46 AM

Sometimes they'll power up to updated software. Check all your settings.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 05-13-2019, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Cable internet provider w/no firewall?

WAKE ON LAN...
Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Yes, either Wake on LAN, settings and a job or service scheduled to wake up the PC due to not shutting down but placing into hibernation. Which I hate when people or default is set to sleep when pressing the power button.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Sometimes they'll power up to updated software. Check all your settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Cable internet provider w/no firewall?

WAKE ON LAN...
The computer powers up every night. It is not connected to the internet only used to run the machine's software.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR View Post
Purchased an upgraded and refurbished HP5750 to use as a backup to run CNC machines. 1T/4GB running XP Pro. It accepted and runs the 2006 software fine and serves it purpose.
Shutting down from the start menu I come in the next morning and at some point it powers up overnight.
I unplugged all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, screen) to see if they had any influence but did not.
The only other investigation into this was BIOS. I noticed all the power settings are "enabled" Mon-Sun and at the very bottom the time is set @00:00. I pulled that idea off the net but did not change anything at this point.Short of using a surge protected power strip to manually shut power off I'm not really sure what to about it.
It's possible the computer was set up to power up automatically in it's past life. I'd rather it didn't.
Any thoughts?
If you are not comfortable with messing with that setting you could test this to see if that is the issue by entering the bios change the system time to just before midnight save it then shut down. Watch it a few minutes to see if it comes on.
Old 05-14-2019, 3:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
If you are not comfortable with messing with that setting you could test this to see if that is the issue by entering the bios change the system time to just before midnight save it then shut down. Watch it a few minutes to see if it comes on.
Factory UEFI/BIOS, then make sure to shut down, not sleep or hibernate, then see if that helps?

WOL does not have to be Internet-connected, hence the Lan portion of Wake On Lan.
Old 05-14-2019, 5:05 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR View Post
The only other investigation into this was BIOS. I noticed all the power settings are "enabled" Mon-Sun and at the very bottom the time is set @00:00. I pulled that idea off the net but did not change anything at this point.
Any thoughts?
What this means is that the system is configured to power on at 00:00. This is a setting HP includes in their bios for business customers, so you can set your device to power up at a certain time, like 0750 so that it can be on and waiting for you to get into the office, but more usefully, for enterprise businesses, so they can bring all devices on, lets say at 0300 on wednesdays, to have updates pushed to them.
If you disable the power on settings, the device will not boot in the middle of the night. For confirmation of this, set the time to 15 minutes from current, then shut down the device, it will boot at the designated time.
Old 05-14-2019, 5:18 AM

Windows Task Manager can be set to start or power down a computer at a particular time. I'd look at the task manager settings.
Old 05-14-2019, 6:26 AM

Thanks for all your help and suggestions brothers.
I went into Power options/BIOS and disabled that feature to power up at 00:00 hours M-Sun. Also, disabled the option to power up after a power failure.
Seemed to have worked; came in this AM and it did not power up overnight.
Checked to see if my CNC program was working properly and it is.

I can see how this feature could be helpful in a large database environment when having numerous employees firing up their PC's all at once dragging the system.

In the future however, I want to investigate the ability to run this software with a new Windows 10 operating system. Must be a way to install a patch or something to make it work. New software is EXPENSIVE for the CNC's. We have multiple PC's running solid state drives for the business that I love as there is virtually no boot up time and lightening fast.
Thanks again.

Old 05-14-2019, 6:48 AM

You only need to be concerned if you unplug it before you go to bed and it's plugged back in when you wake up.
Old 05-14-2019, 7:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Sleep tight... you worry too much.

Old 05-14-2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
You only need to be concerned if you unplug it before you go to bed and it's plugged back in when you wake up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Sleep tight... you worry too much.

LOL