Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-18-2019, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Default Can a Chromebook run Windows?

Can a Chromebook laptop with an Intel processor have Windows installed (after wiping the hard disk of the chrome operating system), or can the Chrome operating system run Windows software?

Chromebooks are $150 cheaper than the same size Windows laptops.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 04-18-2019, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

What programs or things do you need to run on a chromebook? I know before there were certain models of chromebooks that people were flashing over to windows. I have a Samsung Chromebook that I bought about almost 2 years ago for $300. I do my homework on it, surf the web, watch movies, answer emails and do work related stuff such as spreadsheets, powerpoint and things like that. I had a Surface Pro 3 before the Chromebook and while it was an awesome tablet/laptop it was about $1000. For the most part the Chromebook for me does everything I need it to. I hardly ever miss Windows, the only time I had a problem was about 2 years ago when I was in an accounting class I had to use Windows Excel for some of the different formulas that I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 04-18-2019, 9:50 PM

I wouldn’t go this direction. What is your budget? What size screen are you looking for?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 PM

It can but it needs to be rooted and you lose out on functions such as volume, random buttons not working, all types of stuff. Wouldn't go this route , Chromebook good for surfing and light computer work, but not Windows.
Old 04-19-2019, 4:09 AM
Calguns Addict

https://youtu.be/mykS0A1f3wI

It would be a better option to just buy a nice used $120 Lenovo T-440 i5 (or better) w/8GB+ of RAM and buy an SSD of the size you need. $5 Windows 10 keys do work, even if grey market, but can only be used once for Win10 activation.

Last edited by the86d; 04-19-2019 at 4:19 AM..
Old 04-19-2019, 4:58 AM

Some can some can not. Depends on the chromebook. Some are write protected, some aren't. Some can have their write protection overridden, some can not.

I actually have a ThinkPad X131e Chromebook coming in the mail I plan on converting to windows. I'll let you know.
Old 04-19-2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

It would be a better option to just buy a nice used $120 Lenovo T-440 i5 (or better) w/8GB+ of RAM and buy an SSD of the size you need. $5 Windows 10 keys do work, even if grey market, but can only be used once for Win10 activation.
This right here ^^^^ I make good money refurbishing laptops I order off Ebay.
Old 04-19-2019, 5:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I heard about this thing on the internet called “Google.” Here’s a link: https://www.google.com/. To try it out, I copied the title of this thread and pasted it into this big search bar on Google. Here’s the first thing that popped up at the top of the page: https://www.howtogeek.com/278953/how...-a-chromebook/. Amazing! Al Gore really hit a homerun with this internet thing.

Old 05-10-2019, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I bought a refurbished Lenova from Fry's. I just returned it because the DVD and sound didn't work.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 05-10-2019, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
I bought a refurbished Lenova from Fry's. I just returned it because the DVD and sound didn't work.

Exchange... ... ...
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 AM

The PITA part would be drivers if you did load Windows on a Chromebook

Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM

You can get some versions of Linux to load on a chromebook but a boxed version of Windows 10? I would say "bad idea". The hardware and the box OS would have a difficult time with the default installation (if you had the ability to really pear down the installation package, you might get a stable running machine, but who knows what will happen when you start installing applications).

Need to really question what you want this machine to do. Your time to get this hybrid to function may well exceed the hardware cost difference.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Why would you bother. Time is money and it is valuable. Purchase a cheap Windows box from Costco or such.
Old 05-12-2019, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomegalodon View Post
The PITA part would be drivers if you did load Windows on a Chromebook
The PITA is getting the standard BIOS working. Drivers aren't a problem. The keyboard on a chromebook is different. It has to have write protection removed, it has to be rooted.... Did this with a Lenovo x131e. Had to use USB keyboard. Successful, but not worth it. Better off spending that money on a refurbished, (or refurb it yourself) ThinkPad T440p, T430, or T420.

I don't think I'd want to do it again.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 AM

With a Chromebook you would be better off running Windows in a Google compute cloud and stream it.
Old 05-12-2019, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
The PITA is getting the standard BIOS working. Drivers aren't a problem. The keyboard on a chromebook is different. It has to have write protection removed, it has to be rooted.... Did this with a Lenovo x131e. Had to use USB keyboard. Successful, but not worth it. Better off spending that money on a refurbished, (or refurb it yourself) ThinkPad T440p, T430, or T420.

I don't think I'd want to do it again.
My son has a T-400, and it works well with MAXXED RAM and and SSD w/ Win10...

Last edited by the86d; 05-13-2019 at 2:27 AM..
Old 05-13-2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
My son has a T-400, and it works well with MAXXED RAM and and SSD w/ Win10...
Ahhhh! One of my favorite ThinkPads! GREAT choice! The T400 was my first Lenovo "Daily Driver" several years ago. Yes, with an SSD, the T400 runs Win10 quite nicely! Especially with 8gb of ram.