Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-07-2019, 1:12 PM

Default on line banking advice

i currently do all of my on-line banking on a computer running Win7. this is a computer that is on only when banking, it gets used for nothing else. it is powered off until needed for bill pay.
my main computer is running Win10. i do everything on it.
my question......support for Win7 is ending. should I install Win8, or just start doing my financial on the Win10 ? how trustworthy is Win 10 for banking. should I get a new small computer with Win10 and just use it only for banking or go a new load on the old one ?
Old 04-07-2019, 2:58 PM

I'd go Win8.1Pro, with Classic Shell, on a Lenovo ThinkPad.
Old 04-07-2019, 3:49 PM

You really need to get away from Windows 7. Once Microsoft stops supporting it, it's open hunting season for all the hackers out there.
Old 04-08-2019, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

In my work environment, the primary risks for the Windows users is phishing and malware. You'll be fine relatively speaking even if when 7 goes EOL. The risk is going to be user behavior on that host.

Stuff like Emotet is still being used as payloads and if you have a half decent anti-malware counter-measure to at least throw an alert if it lands on your computer, you should be fine.

From what I have observed, malicious actors using active attacks usually trying to compromise your financials further upstream to the actual service providers, either phishing your online banking creds or your employment / HR creds in order to redirect your direct deposit. Hopefully you have MFA enabled on all of your critical financial related online service accounts.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 04-10-2019, 9:40 AM

It's impossible to know what's going to come out of the wood work as far as zero day exploits, once EOL comes.

Upgrade to windows 10. You can do it for less than 10 bucks on ebay. I can understand why people didn't want to switch to Windows 8 due to the drastic ui change. But windows 10 now having been out nearly 4 years, it works. IF all you're doing is casual online banking. Just upgrade so you always have security updates. If you hate the new start menu that badly, then just install classic shell.

If you do remain, I'd probably use limited non admin user account, in private browsing with no browser extensions.
Old 04-12-2019, 7:55 AM

Why the paranoia?
If you put a value on your time from booting up and maintaining a dedicated machine, it outweighs the expected value of an incident.
Old 04-12-2019, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
Why the paranoia?

If you put a value on your time from booting up and maintaining a dedicated machine, it outweighs the expected value of an incident.

For online banking, it is suggested to dedicate one computer for only this operation. I had an incident and it was:
Creepy
Upsetting
And no one wanted to investigate it.
Since that incident, I purchased a new computer and dedicated it for online banking, no internet surfing at all. Too much at stake for my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 5:42 AM

32spoke......that is exactly the situation i am in. this is a on-line banking only computer. i just wasn't sure if win 10 was trustworthy enough for only on line banking. i havn't heard enough about win 8 for security. hell ....i was even considering a new apple computer vs win 10.
Old 04-13-2019, 8:18 AM

I've been using Win10 for online banking (3 major banks, stocks and mutual funds) w/o a problem. How much farther behind in the times do you want to be? You might as well give up on email and go back to pen and paper. Don't mean to be rude but either get on board or get off the electronic frontier.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 PM

Makes sense to manage risk for a business. Strange that they didn't want to investigate it, that would suck for sure. Hope you were able to get it sorted out eventually.
Old 04-19-2019, 7:49 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Go ahead and move to Windows 10. I found out that I can buy legit Windows 10 licenses on ebay for super cheap - like $1.50. I was amazed, and since eBay has buyer protection, I bought 1 license to start. Worked great. Went back and bought a 2nd license, also been working great. Activation worked and everything. You have to download the Windows 10 disk image from MS, so make sure you have a good 'net connection to do this, but otherwise everything went off flawlessly. I'm never paying full price for an OS ever again.

Turby
Old 04-20-2019, 6:09 AM

i did do the upgrade to win 10. the reason for my concern was that win 10 has a lot of fluff running in the backround. someone here had something that you loaded up that set all of the settings in win 10 for privacy. i had it loaded once, and now i cant find it.
Old 04-21-2019, 5:08 AM
Calguns Addict

NEVER open a link in an e-mail from your bank and login... if you don't know how to tell if it is not really from your bank...

I don't know how many horror-stories I hear regarding people that lost money, and couldn't pay bills this way, second-hand, and they never got that money back...

Last edited by the86d; 04-21-2019 at 5:18 AM..
Old 04-21-2019, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

If you are running avast or decent malware type program. OS makes no diference.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 04-21-2019, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

OP,

do you keep your online banking pc on all the time? if not, that just reduces your risk even more. It would be helpful to know how you use it, i.e. just download from bank? pay bills online?

anything email related, use your regular pc or or another one so nothing gets on your banking PC.
Old 04-24-2019, 8:57 AM

Consider learning to use a live bootable linux system to do your online banking and other sensitive tasks. This approach is recommended by several security researchers. Here is a brief writeup on how to do this...
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/07/...-on-a-live-cd/

There is a bit of a learning curve on how to do this. But the payoffs are pretty great. These live bootable linux distributions can not only be used for increasing your security and privacy, they can provide a working computer system if your hard drive were to fail or your main operating system gets corrupted.

The most cautious way to use these is to boot up into linux, directly enter your banks URL, do your online banking, then power down the system. If you have another sensitive task to do at another site, repeat the process. This effectively stops most attacks that you have any control over.

Another way to do online banking is to use a Chromebook in guest mode. Turn it on, use guest mode, do your sensitive task, exit guest mode. Repeat as necessary. Chrome OS is one of the most secure 'consumer friendly' platforms. The trick is to use guest mode exclusively and to not install any additional extensions.

Take the time to learn Linux. You will have more control over your privacy, security, and computer. You can do this in easy steps. Some distributions of Linux that you might want to look into are: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, TAILS, TENS/LPS.

(My first post on Calguns and it is about computers....)
Old 04-27-2019, 7:34 AM

(My first post on Calguns and it is about computers....)

i am honored angryoldwhitemann , lol ....thanks for letting me be your first ! lol