Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-24-2019, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default CDs to other media to play in the car

Wifezilla's getting a new car and none of them come with CD players. I don't want to spend $2K on the rear seat entertainment system so she can play her CDs.

Is there a way to just transfer the CDs into her phone (Samsung) and plug it into the phone connect in the car and play it that way. She won't get a cloud account of any kind and doesn't want to pay monthly fees just to play her music that she already owns on CDs.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 03-24-2019, 5:01 PM

Assuming you have a computer at home that you sync your phone with for backups and that computer has a CD player, then it's a no brainer. I can speak to how it works on an Apple computer but I'm sure the process is very similar for a PC.

On a Mac, you simply open up iTunes and insert the CD you want to "rip" into the computer and import it into iTunes. Check first to see that the iTunes settings will import it as an mp3 file. Usually I import at 192 kbps. It's in the iTunes preferences under Import Settings.

Since I just noticed your wife has a Samsung phone, I'll let others chime in with specifics. I'm pretty savvy with PC's as well, but use an iPhone so my experience is there. It's likely a very similar process, though. As long as you have a way to read CD's with the computer and you have software to backup your phone, it's really easy.

I'd start by picking her 10 most favorite CD's and get them on the phone. Then go from there.

She does back up her phone, doesn't she? Very important.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 03-24-2019, 5:10 PM

Short answer is: Yes - you should be able to transfer the audio from CDs to a phone and play it on the car stereo.

There are several ways to convert an Audio CD into digital .mp3 files that your phone can then read and playback.

This YouTube video by Dale Powell shows his method that uses Windows Media player to "rip" the audio CD then uses Tagscanner to add the relevant info (artist, title, track number, genre, etc) to each track

Once you've got the .mp3s on your computer, you should be able to copy them over to your phone. This video by "spllitz" might help.

Alternatively, if you happen to use iTunes, this video by Chris Waite shows you how to import your CDs into iTunes. You can use iTunes to transfer music to your Android Phone as demonstrated by this video by Android Authority.

Connecting your phone to the car stereo should be as simple as connecting an "AUX" cable or pairing and connecting via Bluetooth.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas and helps out a little.

Good luck!

Last edited by SuperBanther; 03-24-2019 at 5:14 PM.. Reason: added links to videos for transfering music to phone
Old 03-24-2019, 5:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

TuneIn radio app is free to download, access to thousands of genres and stations

1A - 2A = -1A
Old 03-24-2019, 7:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks guys, she won't get an I tunes account since everything has to be done on the cloud. I'll get her to convert them to MP3 files on her computer and load them on an old MP3 player for her car.

None of the radio Apps work because she'll play one CD for a year straight, continuously. No one in their right mind will listen to one CD on an 8 hour road trip after listening to it every day for the last year except her.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 03-24-2019, 7:10 PM

I've not found a single radio station broadcast or internet, that is decent. That's why I have all my music ripped to mp3.

OP: Check out iTunes. Even if you don't have an iPhone, if the music can be easily transferred to your phone from iTunes, ripping by using iTunes will save you the hassle of having to add the relevant artists, title track genre, etc. iTunes does that automatically.

Also once you have your CD's ripped, that makes it much easier to listen to them at home. You can do that any number of ways, of which I think Sonos is the best. Sonos has their own speakers but you can use your own and simply use a Sonos amp. Or use your existing stereo and use the Sonos preamp. It's a fantastic system. I have it all over the house and in the garage as well.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 03-24-2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Thanks guys, she won't get an I tunes account since everything has to be done on the cloud. I'll get her to convert them to MP3 files on her computer and load them on an old MP3 player for her car.

None of the radio Apps work because she'll play one CD for a year straight, continuously. No one in their right mind will listen to one CD on an 8 hour road trip after listening to it every day for the last year except her.
You don't need an iTunes account to use iTunes. You only need the account if you're going to download music from Apple. You can download the iTunes app for a PC for free. That will make it super easy to rip CD's and make sure that the artist name, song name, etc. is included in the ripping process. Then all you need to do is copy the ripped music files to the phone or mp3 player. No need for an account.

For example, while at home I use an older MacPro tower as my main computer, for my consulting work I have a high end Lenovo laptop. I simply installed the iTunes app by going to the Apple website and then I copied the music I wanted on the Lenovo from the MacPro using a USB drive. Once the USB drive was plugged into the Lenovo, all I had to do was highlight all the folders (usually organized by artist name) and drag/drop them into the active iTunes window. That's it. I was up and running that easy. And if there's a CD I want to put on the Lenovo, I just insert the CD into the Lenovo and import it into iTunes. That's what you'd be doing. Rip directly with the iTunes app and you're done. Apple is pretty brilliant with the way they make things work. I suggest you try it. Good luck!

Last edited by sonofeugene; 03-24-2019 at 7:19 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 PM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

I had my CD collection professionally ripped to high bitrate MP3s. Loaded them onto a SSD drive in an external case. Plugged the drive into my Pioneer system in the car. It build a database index and then I played on. I had the same systems in both my cars so I could move my 16k tracks between cars.

Both cars are gone and I have a new Ford Edge. The Sony system in the Edge canít handle that many tracks. I tried a smaller capacity USB stick. It worked but I did not feel like deciding what tracks to load.

The car came with a 6 month SiriusXM subscription. I found the Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind channels. I do my trips to Vegas starting a 04:00 either direction. Between the 2 channels it keeps me happy on the drives. No having to search for stations when moving into new geographical areas. I re-upped after the 6 month promo. When have you heard a FM station play Humble Pie?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 AM

I feel your pain, I cant find a new car that can play my 8 tracks either.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:10 AM

Wish I had an ancient Music CD to test out but I think you can put a CD into your pc and open the cd file and drag out the music files, then convert them to MP3. If I remember correctly, it is not too difficult, heck I think there should be free programs that can do it. Then load all your music onto your cell phone.

I have like 1400 or more songs on my cell phone, even have them grouped into files like Rock, Metal, 50's, 60's, 80's, 90's, Hip hop, Classical, Country, audiobooks etc. Then just connect to my car stereo through my cellphone and play the music that way. I even have a second older cellphone that I do not have service to any longer and use it only as a music player, I also use that one to play music in the car or my Bluetooth headphones when I work out. I can set my music to play during a 12 hr work day and not hear the same song twice.
Most new cars stereos are Bluetooth equipped. If the stereo is not Bluetooth equipped it needs to be ripped out and replaced.
Old 03-25-2019, 5:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't know what your data plan is, but w/ Pandora you can get very specific niche genres, and weed out the Pop over time.
W/Ads it's free...

Nerdcore Hip-hop, Indie RAP, Even old-school British Punk Rawk,
OR pop-punk for the wrist-cutting Emos, and it is all based on a specific Artist, or song doing a search and similar appears.
Old 03-26-2019, 3:39 PM

If you are just now starting a rip collection, do not use MP3. MP3 is less space efficient and acoustically less precise than MP4/AAC/M4A. Since you are going to use the phone as the player, definitely use a better codec, or even a lossless format if you have the space.
Old 03-26-2019, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Just put them on flash drive, & leave that plugged into car...problem solved for the price of a flash drive 32 gig recommended.
Old 03-26-2019, 4:37 PM

Another thing, too, is that a few cars that have Navi, use a DVD-based map cache and associated hard disk already in the car. I know this is true for BMW, VW, Audi and Porsche, maybe others.

The head unit will allow you to rip a CD right to the disk by popping out the mapping DVD and putting in a CD and selecting copy from the infotainment system.

If equipped, the DVD drive is in the glove box, which also has SD card slots as well.
Old 05-14-2019, 6:28 PM

Here another simple ways. If car have aux port. Just buy a portable cd player. No need to rip from cd.
Old 05-15-2019, 2:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thy95 View Post
Here another simple ways. If car have aux port. Just buy a portable cd player. No need to rip from cd.
But w/a modern phone, one should never have any skip...
then again, I can't remember the last time I had a CD skip during normal driving in the last 10 years.
Old 05-15-2019, 3:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
If you are just now starting a rip collection, do not use MP3. MP3 is less space efficient and acoustically less precise than MP4/AAC/M4A. Since you are going to use the phone as the player, definitely use a better codec, or even a lossless format if you have the space.
It appears mp3 is still the industry standard, if not buying "CDs", and not letting your phone manufacturer, or streaming service stay in control.