Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-20-2019, 4:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Stuttgart Germany - who has been? Active or reserve

Any fellow Marines or other service members been stationed in Stuttgart Germany? When and what was your experience?
Official Calguns Vendor for Home Loans & Real Estate since 2012. VA loan expert, no cost refinances, and on a mission to continue my reputation of good deals, honesty and supporting the Calguns community. Check out my customer reviews in our forum.

Pm me any questions, rate quotes, loan preapprovals, or any other real estate need or question you may have. I'm here to help. Semper Fi!
Old 03-21-2019, 8:23 PM

Just returned from being TDY there last week, what would you like to know?
Old 03-21-2019, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Great food and sights in the black forest
Old 03-21-2019, 8:45 PM

Big city. Lots of industries. Stationed in Bavaria back when there was an East & West Germany. Heidelberg is great as is Munich.
Old 03-22-2019, 8:11 AM

Was TAD there last summer.

Like mentioned the black forest is amazing. There's plenty of resort towns e.g. Baden Baden, and if you're into motorsports you can rip on the 500 or 462 provincial roads all day. What's nice too is you're close to Lux, France, and Switzerland.

The base support structure and local economy is huge and definitely geared towards Americans, more than my time in Japan. You'll have to try some pork knuckle.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM

Great on and off duty assignment. I was at EUCOM Ops Ctr 86-89

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 8:45 AM

Went thru it back in '65 to '67 during the cold war era, big city. Black Forest is beautiful, good eats, Jager Schitzel, Rahm Schitzel.

Psalm 1
Old 05-20-2019, 4:01 PM

Went to Graf, and Hoenhfels. Germany is beautiful, and the women are beautiful. That's probably all you need to know lol.
Old 05-20-2019, 4:03 PM

Just don't tip. Tipping in restaurants is an American thing, and they see it as offensive. But you can give them the tip or the whole thing in the red light district hahaha
Old 05-28-2019, 2:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Sounds like you guys have some great memories of Stuttgart!

Anyone have any connections with the USMC Reserve IMA program in Germany?
Official Calguns Vendor for Home Loans & Real Estate since 2012. VA loan expert, no cost refinances, and on a mission to continue my reputation of good deals, honesty and supporting the Calguns community. Check out my customer reviews in our forum.

Pm me any questions, rate quotes, loan preapprovals, or any other real estate need or question you may have. I'm here to help. Semper Fi!
Old 05-29-2019, 1:54 PM

They do tip, just not a lot. A good example is of your bill is $19.40 (euros), just round up to $20.00.

That's how most Germans tip. They just round up to the next whole euro and the waiter keeps the change. They typically settle your bill right there at the table, cash and all, so don't do the american thing and hand them 20 euros and then wait for your change, and then hand that change back to them or leave it on the table. Just tell the waiter 20, and hand them the whole 20. You an also do that for example if your bill is 14.30, and you hand them 20 euros. Just tell them 15, and then take the 5 euros change and go.
Old 05-29-2019, 3:07 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Years ago went to Oktoberfest in Munich, don't remember tipping, but then again...don't remember much.

In London though, tipping is NOT customary, the bartender said only tip if it's REALLY GREAT service. And when we did, he was very appreciative and grateful. Unlike the US where tipping is expected.

Old 05-29-2019, 3:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm most interested though in reserve opportunities in Germany, hoping to find a POC over there. The prior service recruiters and the Reserve Liaison Officer for Germany weren't that helpful; basically send in your RQS and wait for billet vacancies to post.

Old 05-29-2019, 3:29 PM

too long ago

Quote:
The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206.

Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."
Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."
The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"
Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."
Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?"
Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark, -- And I didn't land."